purpleparadox

Open CMF packets

When there's minifig parts laying on the shelf...  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• Leave them there
    • Tell an employee
    • Try to buy the loose pieces
    • Take them
  2. 2. What do you THINK people should do?

• Leave them there
    • Tell an employee
    • Try to buy the loose pieces
    • Take them

I'm often in Wal-Mart, feeling the CMF packets, and when I am, I always notice open packets. Usually there's one or two loose pieces just laying on the shelf. The Bride's hair, or Bunny Suit's carrot. What do you do in those situations? There's a couple choices:

-Leave it there. Result: Either somebody else will take it, or an employee will throw it away. They can't re-sell one piece.

-Tell an employee. Result: It'll get thrown away.

-Offer to buy many of the pieces for cheap- I can't see this working...the store will probably think YOU were the one who tampered with it!

-Just take it yourself. It doesn't have any better future.

I've never done any of these things, except leave it. I always just leave those carrots and boxer gloves sitting on the shelf. What's the right course of action?

That happened to me here in Italy too.

I didn't think much about it and left the pieces there. I just do not trust employess to go and report the problem. I can hear them ask "are you sure YOU did not open them?".

A friend of mine once found an open Lizard man, he just used it as a code-detector to find a sealed one.

I'm not saying either of these was "right", but it sure was safe and legit!

When Series 4 was released here in MN, I stopped by my local Target to pick up a pack. I strolled through the aisles and I saw an orange tag laying on the ground. I bent down to pick it up and I turned my head to the left. I saw about 15 open packs hidden behind a NERF gun. I immediately called Customer Services.

-Sci

I voted the combination "I would take them" and "people should leave them here" (so point 1 is still valid) ;)

Seriously, if you feel like stealing, why the hell leaving some pieces as the evidence? And IMHO if you have to open the bags to find out which minifig is in there, you are really doing worse than stealing!!

When Series 4 was released here in MN, I stopped by my local Target to pick up a pack. I strolled through the aisles and I saw an orange tag laying on the ground. I bent down to pick it up and I turned my head to the left. I saw about 15 open packs hidden behind a NERF gun. I immediately called Customer Services.

-Sci

15?? Wow, all I usually find is loose parts from 1 or 2 minifigs. Do you know what Customer Services did? I bet it was a waste of all that Lego. :cry_sad:

Just leave them - it is still stealing, and you do not want to get into trouble for such a small amount of money. If you do steal, steal a lot, because if you get caught, you won't feel (that) sorry :) Also, if you do steal, do not steal in USA, Turkey or Nepal - their prisons are far too uncivilized for non-criminals like us :)

just buy the bride or the rabbit; if you do not want to pay as much buy pieces over bricklink, if you do not have the money wait until the next month - once your name is tainted with "lawbreaker" etiquette, it is hard to clean it :)

Edited by Angeli

I've never been in that situation. If I had, though, I believe I'd just leave the pieces lying there, even though I guess the right course of action would be informing an employee of the store. I'd just feeling I'd be an inconvenience to the employee, even if I'm helping the store.

Edited by Multiverse

I've seen this at both Wal Mart and Target. If I can find an employee, I'll report it, but if not I don't go out of my way. I've had disappointing experiences reporting things like this at Wal Mart in the past. For example, saw a GI Joe set where some of the action figures had been stolen. Reported it to an employee only to see it back on the shelf the next day.

Very recently I found some open minifig packs at a Wal Mart, one was even a figure I needed, but pieces were missing. Had they not been, I may have tried to purchase it, but I may not have since I don't want to be blamed for opening the package.

I think the best thing to do is leave the opened packages alone or report them if you can find an employee who isn't apathetic.

I've seen open bags before. Usually they're either complete or empty - either the person took the whole thing or found out it's not what they were looking for and left it. Personally, I feel really bad for these people. I mean, I don't make a ton of money, but I couldn't resort to such tactics when trying to find $3 minifigures.

My answer would be to just leave it. More than likely, the store paid less than $1 wholesale for it and would not be able to effect the problem anyway.

-Tell an employee. Result: It'll get thrown away.

I can't believe that! If it was you who opened the packets, why would YOU be telling the employee that you saw opened packets? Logic should tell the employee that it wasn't you. :hmpf:

Anyways, if you get that reaction when you tell, then just don't do anything about it. It's the store's fault; you would tell them if you didn't get that reaction.

I reluctantly leave them. I saw a few S7 pieces laying around a Lego store, and I had to force myself to walk away. I don't think that it would do any employee (not counting Lego Store ones) any good to have to throw away a perfectly fine piece of Lego. But some kid will pick it up, and he'll be happier than I would be.

WTF is wrong with people?

The reason I don't like Walmart has nothing to do with politics - it has to do with the quality of the clientèle... a brand new Walmart opened here and within 6 months it looked like it'd been there for 20 years; the parking lot was dirty and oil stained (and interestingly populated with both clunkers and high end cars like Lexus and Cadillacs). You walk down the aisles and people have left garbage - literally garbage, like drink cups and candy wrappers, just lying on the shelves. People let their little monsters run wild... uggg.

Yes, I know stuff happens at "nicer" stores, but it's all too common at Walmart...

I was going to vote that I'd walk away, but it depends on the store. Then I read about the 15 opened packets in CM4S's post... I'd probably report that no matter which store.

Why are people turning into such jerks? I know there's always been jerks, but so many people today are so lazy and disrespectful, it's depressing.

The reason I don't like Walmart has nothing to do with politics - it has to do with the quality of the clientèle... a brand new Walmart opened here and within 6 months it looked like it'd been there for 20 years; the parking lot was dirty and oil stained (and interestingly populated with both clunkers and high end cars like Lexus and Cadillacs). You walk down the aisles and people have left garbage - literally garbage, like drink cups and candy wrappers, just lying on the shelves. People let their little monsters run wild... uggg.

Yes, I know stuff happens at "nicer" stores, but it's all too common at Walmart...

I was going to vote that I'd walk away, but it depends on the store. Then I read about the 15 opened packets in CM4S's post... I'd probably report that no matter which store.

Why are people turning into such jerks? I know there's always been jerks, but so many people today are so lazy and disrespectful, it's depressing.

Just quoting to say I completely agree with everything in this post.

I voted to tell an employee-better yet, manager. I really can't believe so many people voted they'd steal the parts. Seriously? :hmpf: just because it's open and there's things there doesn't make it right. Dollar amount doesn't either. Really. Shame on you people. I could see it from some stupid punk kid, but adults...really? I'm no millionaire or anything, not even well off, but I would never resort to stealing a $3 toy(or any part of it).

When my Walmart had series 5, they were, for the most part, good about not having open packets, until a few weeks ago when I found two packets open, both being the figures I wanted to complete the collection (The snowboarder and the dino-man). I just left them, feeling a bit disgusted.

Why is it always the figures you're looking for that get tampered? :sceptic:

I voted I would tell an employee.

Maybe I'd try to persuade them to leave the open pack to me, before they'd throw it away... :wink:

Maybe I'd even pay (a lower price) to get the open pack (if there's anything of real interest for me in it).

Edited by Cerator

For me, It depends on three things:

1) Is it a good minifig?

2) Is it on the endcap or in an aisle?

3) Which store is it? (I would never steal from toys r us, Because i know some nice people there)

The thing is, I'd get an unbearable amount of guilt brewing up inside me, But however, If it was, say, Out of town and chances are i'd never go there again, Then i would go for it!

I was sad when i found the mad scientist and the sailor Behind a display at TRU and i couldn't buy them :(

Logic should tell the employee that it wasn't you. :hmpf:

That is the main problem, though. Logic rarely enters into the equation at Walmart.

I know there's always been jerks, but so many people today are so lazy and disrespectful, it's depressing.

You think that's bad. I once saw a pile of feces right in the middle of an aisle once. I kid you not. :oh:

I have seen them before and as much as I would want to get something for free, I am an honest person that could/would never steal. I ended up just leaving them there and didn't tell anyone, so I'm sure someone else probably stole them afterwards. But I should have let someone know. More than likely they wouldn't do much about it, other than put it in their discard pile, but at least they would know. They may keep a closer look out in the future though.

If it was a figure I absolutely needed and it had all the pieces there, I would probably try to buy it. I've opened food in the store before to help calm down our toddler for a snack, and we take it up there to buy it and the cashier just asks, "you know this is opened right? Do you still want to buy it?" They may say something similar with a toy.

And I have also seen feces in a store before. It was in a changing room though. Someone either thought it was the restroom, or they are just a sick individual and have no human decency.

You think that's bad. I once saw a pile of feces right in the middle of an aisle once. I kid you not. :oh:

No way, that never happens.

And I have also seen feces in a store before. It was in a changing room though. Someone either thought it was the restroom, or they are just a sick individual and have no human decency.

wait, really? That actually happens!?!?!

Wow, I don't know what on earth could posess someone to take a dump in a store.

I've seen like one open minifigure packet at a chapters once. I put it in my pocket, but then decided not to as it wasn't worth it. So I guess I'm only human. :classic:

Good for you sok! :classic: I can't believe theres now 9 thieves on here... :sadnew:

Edited by Legocrazy81

Plenty of open Series 5 minfigures at Walmart Canada. Actually had some nice open figures scattered on the shelf. But I was raised to not steal, so I left it there. Didn't tell an employee, just bought the minfigures I wanted and left. I really wanted to take it, but I could justify being charged $500+ for theft on a $3 item.

Edited by Legobrandon

I saw a few S7 pieces laying around a Lego store, and I had to force myself to walk away. I don't think that it would do any employee (not counting Lego Store ones) any good to have to throw away a perfectly fine piece of Lego.

In the Lego store there is a chance it makes it way into the box that ends up as grab bags, however I have seen them sweep the floor and that appeared as if it would be thrown away - fluff bunnies and other debris with the odd pieces. One time (back before they had them in the BAM center) we found a gattling gun on the floor of the Lego store. An employee said oh I see you found the gun. They had seen it on the floor a few times. We asked nicely and they let us have it.

While I can't see that happening at walmart or big stores, maybe its worth a shot. Though I could see them saying sorry I can't sell that to you.

The one and only time I pointed out to customer service at TRU that they had boxes open in the lego aisle I was treated to suspicious stares and a snide comment that have made me never want to report opened packaging again so that is why I'm voting for walking away.

Plenty of open Series 5 minfigures at Walmart Canada. Actually had some nice open figures scattered on the shelf. But I was raised to not steal, so I left it there. Didn't tell an employee, just bought the minfigures I wanted and left. I really wanted to take it, but I could justify being charged $500+ for theft on a $3 item.

WOW, you are very very lucky in Canada. In Italy you got jailed if you steal something, whatever it is. It's very very easy to walk out with a fine...

No way, that never happens.

wait, really? That actually happens!?!?!

Wow, I don't know what on earth could posess someone to take a dump in a store.

I've seen like one open minifigure packet at a chapters once. I put it in my pocket, but then decided not to as it wasn't worth it. So I guess I'm only human. :classic:

I figured it was some little kid that had an accident, so it's really the fault of the parents I would think for not dealing with the issue properly.