Sign in to follow this  
SheepEater

If you could meet Tolkien himself...

... And you could bring with you two Lego sets, which ones would they be?

You can choose the ones Lego already released, or the future ones which are highly likely to appear in a second wave (such as: Bag End, Bridge of Khazad Dum, or some scene from Rivendell or Minas Tirith)

Me, I would go with Bag End (as long as Gandalf is also included) and Helm's Deep, I feel they are the most iconic of the LOTR storyline.

To see Tolkien's face when he sees his beloved characters rendered in cute cylindric little plastic guys would be priceless. All the while knowing his creation is massively popular 60 years later. :sweet:

I would probably make him sign the instruction booklets.

Actually, if I ever meet one of the actors who played in the films (like that's gonna happen), I would make them sign the sets in which they appear as a minifig... meeting PJ himself would be even better.

I just want to hear how you intend to make Tolkien or any of the actors sign autographs? :tongue: Choice of words were funny to me.

I heard once from my sister who studied english literature, that her professor gave Tolkien a tour by the palace on the Dam in Amsterdam, before the LOTR books came out in The Netherlands. He was not that bad, but he was described as a bit grumpy.

I also heard he was not happy about hippies from America who read his books and were stoned at the same time, calling him with the telephone when it was midday in the U.S. but deep in the night in England. Most of the time it were some silly questions, so he was waked up for nothing. :grin:

So if you said you're a big fan of him and want to let him aee all of the fantings and the films and merchandise, I think he would run away. :wink:

I heard once from my sister who studied english literature, that her professor gave Tolkien a tour by the palace on the Dam in Amsterdam, before the LOTR books came out in The Netherlands. He was not that bad, but he was described as a bit grumpy.

I also heard he was not happy about hippies from America who read his books and were stoned at the same time, calling him with the telephone when it was midday in the U.S. but deep in the night in England. Most of the time it were some silly questions, so he was waked up for nothing. :grin:

So if you said you're a big fan of him and want to let him aee all of the fantings and the films and merchandise, I think he would run away. :wink:

That's really interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. I would like to know what his opinion on Peter Jackson's films would be, and if he thought justice was done.

It's easy, give him a deal he can't refuse. I would threaten to send my entire Lego orc army on him with the great cave troll if he doesn't sign. :sweet:

...unfortunately, I don't have any orcs...much less trolls. :cry_sad:

I would ask him to sign Weathertop and Helm's Deep since both are my favourite sets. :thumbup:

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

I would tell him to go easy on the god-awful poetry and hire a decent editor. There's a great story buried in his books but the amount of tedious prose you have to go through to unearth it is OTT.

Apart from the Hobbit of course - that book is gold as is.

I would tell him to go easy on the god-awful poetry and hire a decent editor. There's a great story buried in his books but the amount of tedious prose you have to go through to unearth it is OTT.

NO!!!!! I wouldn't have him change One. Single. Thing. Of course, he's my favourite author...but still.

On topic: Probably Gandalf Arrives, because it's such an iconic scene, and Shelob Attacks, because IMO it's the best LOTR set so far.

I would get him to finish the Silmarillion and flesh out the Unfinished Tales.

A Silmarillion trilogy movie would be amazing.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If a grown man or woman came to him showing off our Lego sets he'd probably think we were a bunch of idiots. :laugh:

I would get him to finish the Silmarillion and flesh out the Unfinished Tales.

With one meeting, when a lifetime of friends, publishers and admirers pushing him on couldn't do it? You're quite a man. :tongue:

After creating this topic, I ended up doing my own little bit of internet research on the life of Tolkien.

He wrote the Hobbit as a middle aged adult in his late 30s or mid-40s, having just started his big family. So I imagine him as a nice young teacher, who loves entertaining kids.

At first (in the 1940s and 1950s) he was grateful for every letter sent by fans, and would reply back.

From the way I see it, as he found mass success in the 60s, especially with the american hippies, who would bother him constantly, he became increasingly grumpier over time. At one point he completely resented The Hobbit, and was considering re-writing the entire book to make it less childish, and more in line with LOTR.

So if I came back in time to 1948, maybe Tolkien would let me talk to him and discuss his books characters at length. But if I came back in time to say 1965, he would probably tell me to bugger off, since at this point he had morphed completely into a grumpy old man :laugh:

The relevance to LEGO here is tenuous to say the least. I'm going to move it to Culture & Multimedia, just after I add my tuppence. :grin:

I grew up near where Tolkein lived, just south of Birmingham in the English Midlands. The nearby (and unfortunately-named) Sarehole Mill is thought to have been the inspiration for Sandyman's mill in Hobbiton, and several natural features in the area resemble parts of the Shire. There's even a ford down a little lane which might have inspired the ford at Bruinen just before Rivendell - it's unusual to find a ford in a suburb of a major city, and I remember being amazed by it as a kid.

Some say the design of Birmingham University inspired Isengard, and its clock tower represents Orthanc.

All of this.

I wouldn't ask anything of him. I would politely thank him for all his work on the great stories he has written and all that he has provided to the modern Fantasy genre whether directly or indirectly and then let him go about his business. Not that I wouldn't be star-struck, I just wouldn't fell the need to ask or make him do anything.

I would give him a box of Gandalf arrives. Gandalf, as an old wiseman, is probably the character closest to resembling an old Englisch professor. Also the set has a very peaceful atmosphere. It is not based on conflict, which might please Tolkien when he sees that his work was turned into a toy for hundreds of thousands of children.

I would thank him for not making the LOTR books an obvious Christian allegory (as his friend Lewis did with Narnia) and tell him that in the 21st century scenarios of enchanted pseudo middle ages are (still) one of the dominant means of escaping the complexity and rationality of modernity.

I grew up near where Tolkein lived, just south of Birmingham in the English Midlands. The nearby (and unfortunately-named) Sarehole Mill is thought to have been the inspiration for Sandyman's mill in Hobbiton, and several natural features in the area resemble parts of the Shire. There's even a ford down a little lane which might have inspired the ford at Bruinen just before Rivendell - it's unusual to find a ford in a suburb of a major city, and I remember being amazed by it as a kid.

Some say the design of Birmingham University inspired Isengard, and its clock tower represents Orthanc.

Wow, the thought of living near The Shire, or other landmarks sounds great, shame it's down South :tongue:.

All of this.

You been wearing the ring too long?

I would bring him the 'Death Star' :laugh: Nar All of them, though you'll probably be better off giving him a MOC, imagination rather than play features would be up his street.

You been wearing the ring too long?

What?

Seriously Tolkien is a great World builder but a terrible storyteller. He goes into great detail about trees, grasses, cultures but as soon as something interesting is about to happen, he finishes it in a paragraph or two and goes back to describing the clouds for another 3 pages.

I'd bring a copy of the extended editions (and a TV and DvD player if y'all being picky)and get his opinion of it.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? The poetry is some of the best parts, a lot of it is what makes Lord of the Rings such great literature, certainly comparable to Jules Verne and other great authors. Go read Harry Potter or some other cheap drivel with no imagination put into it, will ya?

I like the rambling on about trees and such. It sets Tolkien apart from other authors, and makes him more unique in my eyes. :classic:

I don't know what I'd do if I could talk to him. I'd probably just say thanks for writing such

enjoyable books and maybe ask for his autograph.

I'd bring a copy of the extended editions (and a TV and DvD player if y'all being picky)and get his opinion of it.

He probably wouldn't recognize it aa being related to his book at all! :laugh:

He probably wouldn't recognize it aa being related to his book at all! :laugh:

"What on earth? Is this supposed to be Rohan? But it's not green at all!"

1. I'd ask him where in the name of Elrond he came up with all the amazing LOTR ideas.

2. Show him the Lego LOTR collection and see which one was his favourite.

I have to agree with Walter, the books were written in the 50's so it has a that nice rich in-depth feel to it.

I'd probley thank him for his great work and tell him how popular it still is hear in 2012 . :classic: