Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Future LotR and Hobbit sets

1:I would love a Lothlorien, maybe it could have Galadrial, an Archer, and maybe Frodo or one of the other main characters? For the actual set, I can envision two Tree Houses, and perhaps a fountain thing where Galadrial has the vision.

2:A Golden Hall set, which would be a collapsable set, including a Throne, and Maybe some other stuff. As far as characters, Theoden, A guard,:wub:,and Gandalf.

jed_barbarian

My dream set would be Minas Morgul with the Witch-king riding a fell beast, but I doubt this will happen. I'd settle for the scene where the Witch-king corners Gandalf the White and Pippin on the wall of Minas Tirith andhe whips out that flaming sword.

My dream set would be Minas Morgul with the Witch-king riding a fell beast, but I doubt this will happen. I'd settle for the scene where the Witch-king corners Gandalf the White and Pippin on the wall of Minas Tirith andhe whips out that flaming sword.

That was only in the Extended edition. If they were to make a set with the Witch King and his Fell beast, it would be with Eowyn and Merry.

Edited by Darth Lurtz

That was only in the Extended edition. If they were to make a set with the Witch King and his Fell beast, it would be with Eowyn and Pippin

You mean Merry. I think that that is the more likely place we'll see an armoured Witch-King. If they did that sets, I hope they would do it in a similar size to Shelob (two good guys, on ebad guy, and a big creature = $20-$25). Also, Treebeard could be taken care of in a similar fashion (Merry Pippin and Grishnakh).

You mean Merry. I think that that is the more likely place we'll see an armoured Witch-King. If they did that sets, I hope they would do it in a similar size to Shelob (two good guys, on ebad guy, and a big creature = $20-$25). Also, Treebeard could be taken care of in a similar fashion (Merry Pippin and Grishnakh).

Oops, I was looking at my Mines of Moria when I typed it and confused Merry with Pippin. I agree about those set suggestions, though a set with just the Fell beast might be a problem for it would probably be molded which would mean the piece count would be very low. I don't think lego would release a $20-$30 set with only around 50 pieces. However I would be shocked if lego didn't make a Treebeard set.

Edited by Darth Lurtz

I agree about those set suggestions, though a set with just the Fell beast might be a problem for it would probably be molded which would mean the piece count would be very low. I don't think lego would release a $20-$30 set with only around 50 pieces.

If they do it in NinjaGo dragon style, the fell-beast could easily go up to around 200 pieces, which is reasonable for around $25-35. I wouldn't worry, and I actually expect this scene to be released in set form at some point.

A general question to those of you who didn't take a long break from LEGO:

Do you have any idea when we can expect more Lord of the Rings sets? Could there be anything out before the "Hobbit" sets in winter? I hope somebody can make an educated guess based on previous releases of licensed themes.

Do you have any idea when we can expect more Lord of the Rings sets? Could there be anything out before the "Hobbit" sets in winter? I hope somebody can make an educated guess based on previous releases of licensed themes.

I'm not sure if there will be any before the release of The Hobbit sets. I don't know when the POTC Black Pearl set was announced, but if someone could find that announcement/leak that might help on the predictions. Also, I think a (small) January 2013 wave is very likely, with around 3-5 sets (including one or two battle packs) and a big LEGO exclusive set.

Only time will tell. :wink:

Edited by just2good

Even if it may be unlikely, we could get an exclusive set this year, during fall - much like POTC's Black Pearl.

Other than that, there are three possibilities for the next LOTR sets: they could either release an entire wave along with The Hobbit, or have one, two, maybe more mixed in with those, or else we'll see them the summer of next year again.

News about The Black Pearl arose in February 2011, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for an exclusive LOTR set this year - but then again,

I mentioned it because we haven't seen anything of SW's Palpatine's Arrest set either yet. TLG seems to be able to keep things under wrap much better nowadays,

for some reason.. leaks don't arrive as fast as they used to.

~ General Magma

Transparent fig just won't happen unless it's fixed (non poseable) because polycarbonate (PC for short) that LEGO uses for transparent color are very stiff and it will not flex at all. That would make it very hard to install arms and legs without cracking any part. Plus PC seems to bind to each other, which is why it's considered illegal build if you slide a trans 1x1 round or cone brick onto a 3mm trans rod.

This! The problem with the transparent plastic is its brittleness. In order for a typical minifig to move the jointed points need to be softer or dissimilar plastics. So the arms hands and hips are a different plastic then the torso legs and heads (ok the head doesn't really matter, which is why we get trans heads and soft heads). The big problem is the hands which would split it they attempted to hold anything if cast in a trans plastic. The hips and arms would bind, plus the whole thing would not wear as well and would quickly fog or show cracks.

The best example of this is those horrid trans clear Megabloks Halo figs.

It would not surprise me to see a rare and limited clear insible Frodo as a trade show poly bag special release. Kind of like the special chrome figs. But I don't think we will ever see it in a retail set. At least not unless they have some new types of plastic to work with.

I would love a Bag End with Bilbo!!! :classic:

I still predict we will not see Bag End until next year when they can release it as part of The Hobbit's line. That's just the better place / scene to build it around.

I think having a transparent Frodo would make very little sense. It's not like he turns into a ghost and can still be somewhat seen, he becomes invisible. It would have made more sense for LEGO to release the Nazgul in their true form (how Frodo sees them in the Ring world), with flowing grey and white cloaks and spiky crowns. But seeing as they only appear at Weathertop, the chance of them appearing is very slim.

I think having a transparent Frodo would make very little sense. It's not like he turns into a ghost and can still be somewhat seen, he becomes invisible. It would have made more sense for LEGO to release the Nazgul in their true form (how Frodo sees them in the Ring world), with flowing grey and white cloaks and spiky crowns. But seeing as they only appear at Weathertop, the chance of them appearing is very slim.

Actually that could make for a great promo figure. As for suggestions, I would like to see a Death Star style version of Minas Tirith that features several scenes from the movie.

Actually that could make for a great promo figure. As for suggestions, I would like to see a Death Star style version of Minas Tirith that features several scenes from the movie.

I think they will make another set - the Bridge of Kahzad-Dum. Then you will have the entrance and tomb (parts of the current set) and the Balrog scene... what else is there, really? I suppose you could have another set with the Watcher. Some EB members have done some excellent tentacle-y MOCs.

As far as a clear character goes, I would have no problem with it, either as a promo or figure in a regular set, as I'd just display it anyway. I wouldn't expect it to be as flexible and, in fact, if they just make a single solid, unposeable figure (perhaps at least capable of holding the ring), it wouldn't bother me.

Of course I realize the wearer is completely invisible, and not ghost like, but it's obviously a commonly used film/video device used for the audience's benefit.

Edited by fred67

I just saw that Whitefang posted a review of the Kingdoms poly bag set Target Practice, and it got me thinking about how LEGO could really do well with LOTR poly bags.

Some ideas that popped into my head were things based around Gondor. One poly bag could have a basic Gondor soldier, a small fire pit with some chicken, and a bit of ruins from Osgiliath. It would be a really cheap way of stockpiling Gondorians. Also, there could be one with an Ithilien Ranger and a small tree with a bird or something. Really, with poly bags, the possibilities are endless.

I want to see a Gollum's rock polybag. Maybe with a roughly conical rock, a fish, some water (4x4 possibly), and of course the ring. Probably too much to hope, but... :sweet:

I want to see a Gollum's rock polybag. Maybe with a roughly conical rock, a fish, some water (4x4 possibly), and of course the ring. Probably too much to hope, but... :sweet:

I could see this as the smallest set of the Hobbit wave. It could have a small bit of Gollum's cave, his little boat, the Ring, Gollum, and Bilbo. It would make a great intro set into the Hobbit subtheme, because it would be a really cheap way of getting one of the most memorable scenes from the book.

I also think that if LEGO does LOTR poly bags, they should only include soldiers. All those Harry Potter poly bags were pointless because they were no good for having duplicates. LEGO should save main characters for the actual sets, and have more soldiers in battle packs or poly bags.

Well, I also like the polybags with semi hard-to-get-figs (for example, there's a Thor polybag). Maybe Merry, a small raft, and a couple of mushrooms? :laugh:

Well, I also like the polybags with semi hard-to-get-figs (for example, there's a Thor polybag). Maybe Merry, a small raft, and a couple of mushrooms? :laugh:

That could work. I could also see something with a Nazgul, allowing people to get all of the Nine really cheaply. ALso, they could do something with Haldir, so multiples would mean that people could just use the extras (with a change of head) as more Elven warriors. I really want to see some Lothlorien Elves (the ones at Helm's Deep).

Another idea would be poly bags for the Dwarves from the Hobbit.

After some discussion in the LOTR thread, I thought I should start this topic for those who already know the story of The Hobbit. So, let the discussion begin!

Um. Well. There's possibly going to be a second wave (already known) and it involves female characters. :tongue:

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

Some ideas I'd like to see:

- Bag End, where it all begins. I think this could be a fairly detailed set, and there are 15 figures that could be present! oh2.gif (Bilbo, Gandalf, and 13 dwarves). Though realistically, maybe just Bilbo, Gandalf, and Thorin.

- The troll encounter. The trolls could be alive and threatening to eat everyone they capture, or possibly turned to stone as the dawn hits.

- Gollum's cave. A little underground lake, Gollum and his boat. Bilbo and The One Ring included, of course.

- The dwarves escaping from the goblin caves into the trees. Could include a lot of goblins, brick-built trees (some lit on fire by the goblins) and EAGLES!

- Smaug's cave. Bilbo and his encounter with the great dragon. Could include the cave, a brick-built dragon (or custom molds like the fantasy era stuff), and a humongous pile of gold and jewels.

- The lake town outside Smaug's cave. Includes the bowman figure who fired the black arrow into Smaug's heart.

I think some of those would make for good sets. Oh, and the dwarves escaping captivity by hiding in barrels and floating down the river! default_classic.gif

I know the set my wife is hanging out for is a Rivendell set (preferably UCS), which could fit into either the LOTOR or Hobbit themes.

I'd like to see a set featuring the throne room of the Great Goblin.