Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Future LotR and Hobbit sets

I really like those ideas Fives, however I find one issue. Bilbo is in every set. I think after this first wave we've seen, repeated figures won't be very likely within the sets. But I like those ideas very much. I would love a new mold for those wargs.

I know, and I was being cautious about the dwarves, but I found it difficult to think of a scene where Bilbo wouldn't be there. But, we don't know about he scenes based around the White Council, so that will help get rid of some extra Bilbo figs.

I really hope we get an Uruk-Hai battle pack-otherwise, it will be almost impossible for those of us who don't have access to massive amounts of expendable income to build an Uruk army of more than 5-10 models :hmpf_bad:

~Dwarf

Edited by dwarf-brik

Birds up a Tree

Gandalf

Bilbo

Fili

Kili

2 Wargs

1 Eagle

4 Goblins

1 or more trees at least 25 - 30 studs tall

Willing to pay 60 - 80 for a decent sized trees and a new mold for Wargs and an eagle, both of which could be used for the Battle of the 5 Armies later.

8 figs plus 3 animals would raise the price, but a decent tree would make all the difference

With the amazing new pics discovered by Grogall being drooled over in the LOTR topic, and with the rejuvenated discussion of BPs coming about, I thought it might be a good idea to bring this topic back to life.

Firstly, after seeing the close up shot of Frodo, Sam and Gollum outside the Tunnel, I instantly began salivating for more ROTK sets. I really would love to see a small Mount Doom set with Sam and Frodo, both with dirty faces tattered, burnt clothes. We already have, form the Shelob set, Sam in his ROTK attire (dark tan shirt with suspenders) but Frodo wears similar clothes under his jacket and waistcoat. I think plain tan would be more fitting for Frodo, and in a Crack of Doom set, he could have his normal, tired expression, and an evil looking one after he is possessed by the Ring.

Another sad thing I've noticed about this wave of sets is the lack of Gondorians (Boromir is the only one). In the next LOTR wave we are in definite need for Gondorian soldiers and Ithilien rangers. Seeing as most of the Uruks have armour, helmets and shields, orcs have just simple armour prints on their torsos, and Rohirrim have simple armour prints on their torsos, the Gondorians could get a similar treatment like the Uruks. The ideal Gondorian soldier would have a new helmet mold, with the elegant wing design on the front of the helm. Along with that, a pearl grey breastplate with the tree of Gondor, either outlined in dark grey or printed in white, on the front. To finish it off, a new shield mold in pearl grey, with the tree printed in white on the front, and a Highlander sword or black shafted Spartan spear.

These are just some thoughts I had for possible ROTK figures.

With the amazing new pics discovered by Grogall being drooled over in the LOTR topic, and with the rejuvenated discussion of BPs coming about, I thought it might be a good idea to bring this topic back to life.

Firstly, after seeing the close up shot of Frodo, Sam and Gollum outside the Tunnel, I instantly began salivating for more ROTK sets. I really would love to see a small Mount Doom set with Sam and Frodo, both with dirty faces tattered, burnt clothes. We already have, form the Shelob set, Sam in his ROTK attire (dark tan shirt with suspenders) but Frodo wears similar clothes under his jacket and waistcoat. I think plain tan would be more fitting for Frodo, and in a Crack of Doom set, he could have his normal, tired expression, and an evil looking one after he is possessed by the Ring.

Another sad thing I've noticed about this wave of sets is the lack of Gondorians (Boromir is the only one). In the next LOTR wave we are in definite need for Gondorian soldiers and Ithilien rangers. Seeing as most of the Uruks have armour, helmets and shields, orcs have just simple armour prints on their torsos, and Rohirrim have simple armour prints on their torsos, the Gondorians could get a similar treatment like the Uruks. The ideal Gondorian soldier would have a new helmet mold, with the elegant wing design on the front of the helm. Along with that, a pearl grey breastplate with the tree of Gondor, either outlined in dark grey or printed in white, on the front. To finish it off, a new shield mold in pearl grey, with the tree printed in white on the front, and a Highlander sword or black shafted Spartan spear.

These are just some thoughts I had for possible ROTK figures.

Where are you talking about new pics? And what does BP mean?

Never mind i found it - Still don't know what BP means

Edited by natesroom

@ Fives: I totally agree, I love gondorians, they are my favorite nation, in fact I'm currently making a chainmail hauberk and tunic for my costume, but any way, I think that the helmet should have peg holes in the side so we can attach wings to it to make a fountain guard figure.

Where are you talking about new pics? And what does BP mean?

Never mind i found it - Still don't know what BP means

BP means Battle Pack.

@ Fives: I totally agree, I love gondorians, they are my favorite nation, in fact I'm currently making a chainmail hauberk and tunic for my costume, but any way, I think that the helmet should have peg holes in the side so we can attach wings to it to make a fountain guard figure.

I actually thought about that, but I feel that it could ruin the smooth look of the Gondorian helmet. Tower Guards would be nice, but I don't feel that having them in maybe one or two sets calls for giving every Gondor soldier holes in their helmets. I feel the same way about the CW clones. The holes kinda bother me, but I guess it would bother me even more on LOTR figs.

EDIT: Thought of another few things. For the Gondor soldiers, there has to be some sort of shirt under the breastplate. I thought something like Pippin's Gondor clothes: a black shirt with the white tree on it, and a leather belt. Along with this, all Gondorians could have leg printing that shows their leg armour (I know there is a technical term, but I can't think of it right now).

Also, I have another 'design' for a fig that HAS TO BE released! Faramir! For Faramir, I think the same hair as Aragorn and Boromir, but in reddish brown, like the new jungle guy in the latest CMF series. Of course, he would need a face print that look like him also. For the torso, I think dark tan, with dark brown, much like how Legolas's clothes were done, with the silver tree printed on the brown area. Then, he could have dark brown legs with his dark green 'skirt' printed on it, like Boromir's blue shirt. Then, his arms would also be dark tan, with reddish brown hands (but they will most likely be flesh). Finally, a dark green cape and a quiver, with bow and Highlander sword, would finish off the minifig.

As for a set he could be included in, I think, rather than make a set based on his Oliphaunt attack or the Forbidden Pool, LEGO could make a small set similar to Isla de Muerta from POTC. It could be the scene from ROTK when the orcs attack Osgiliath from the river. The set could contain some ruins of Osgiliath, and a small section of shore with some water, and a small orc boat. Minifigs would include Faramir, Gondor soldier or Ranger, Gothmog (whose fig would call for a special head piece to attach to a basic head to represent his potato face) and an orc. A small, simple set, with desirable figures for a cheap price.

Edited by Fives

I actually thought about that, but I feel that it could ruin the smooth look of the Gondorian helmet. Tower Guards would be nice, but I don't feel that having them in maybe one or two sets calls for giving every Gondor soldier holes in their helmets. I feel the same way about the CW clones. The holes kinda bother me, but I guess it would bother me even more on LOTR figs.

Ah, I see that side of the argument as well, I suppose that the tower guard helmet would be unique enough to warrant a new mold.

Now that the topic is being used again,

I've been wondering about the future LOTR sets again as well.

For example, I wonder if they're going to add more Rohirrim soldiers to sets, but in different variants. Most Rohirrim soldiers, except for the identical Royal Guards, had different armory.

I wonder if TLC is going to take this detail into note to make a few more prints for Rohirrim figures,

preferably with different arm colors for a few. Other than that I wonder why the Rohirrim soldier we're getting doesn't have a cape, since all Rohirrim soldiers used green capes. (Mostly different tints of dark or olive-ish green) Might be why Eomer has a cape there, though - so let's just put that off..

I'm also hoping for more orc variants in some different colors, since they all looked different and now we're just getting too many identical heads on them.

Only the Moria orcs should stay this way, but the Mordor orcs need some differences. Still waiting to see the Orc Forge box art, especially to know if the orcs have reversible heads..

It would be great to see Ithilien rangers (with Faramir), Gondorian soldiers and different orcs in the next wave as well. (Snaga and/or Grisnhakh for a Fangorn set anyone?)

Perhaps (or rather hopefully) we will see Denethor, Saruman, Gandalf the White, Arwen, Éowyn and the Witch-king of Angmar by then.

I'm sure we're going to see Gandalf the White, Saruman and at least one of the females, but I hope that the theme will live long enough to have all possible figures made.

Let's put up a list of ideas for LOTR minifigs they could (should!) make:

- Gandalf the White

- Saruman

- Grima Wormtongue

- Samwise Gamgee with coat

..Samwise Gamgee with tired & angry expression, dirt marks on face and torso, no coat (Mt. Doom)

- Frodo without coat (tan clothing)

..Frodo with tired & angry expression, dirt marks on face and torso, no coat (Mt. Doom)

- Pippin with Gondorian outfit

- Merry with Rohirrim armor

- Bilbo with coat

..Bilbo without coat (Rivendell)

- Gollum with new facial expressions

- Éowyn in dress

..Éowyn with Rohirrim armor

- Arwen

- Elrond

- Galadriel

- Lothlorien elf

- Aragorn with new outfit (Black Gate)

- Faramir

- Ranger of Ithilien

- Denethor (Steward of Gondor)

- Gondorian soldier (regular with new helmet and shield)

..Gondorian Tower Guard (black cape and new wing-helmet)

- Barliman Butterbur (Prancing Pony set)

- Gamling (Man of Rohan)

- New Rohirrim soldier variants (dark green capes)

..Rohan Royal Guard

- Gothmog (orc lieutenant/commander)

- Snaga (orc, in Fangorn/orc camp set)

- Grisnhakh (orc, in Fangorn/orc camp set)

- Gorbag (orc, in Cirith Ungol set)

- Sharku (warg rider)

..Warg Rider

- Úgluk (uruk-hai)

- Lurtz in armor (uruk-hai)

- New orc variants

..Moria orc (armored)

- Amon-hen Uruk-hai (only needs a new helmet)

- Armored trolls (Minas Tirith, Black Gate)

- Witch-king of Angmar

- Mouth of Sauron

- Dunlending (different variations)

- Easterling (armored)

- Shane Rangi (Haradrim Chief)

..Haradrim Soldier

..Haradrim Archer

- King of the Dead

..Dead Men of Dunharrow

- Corsairs of Umbar

As you can see, there are heaps of possibilities for new minifigs, and thus also for sets.

I hope we'll get to see all of these eventually, although it's really loads of figures... but let's hope for the best! :classic:

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Good ideas for figs, I thing a small set that would be a good one would be the reforging of Narsil, with an exclusive Elrond and Arwen figs in forge gear.

Good ideas for figs, I thing a small set that would be a good one would be the reforging of Narsil, with an exclusive Elrond and Arwen figs in forge gear.

As much as that might be a cool set, it makes no sense. Arwen and Elrond do not reforge the sword themselves. It is reforged by the Elven smiths. Also, I do not believe that this is important enough a scene to merit its own set.

That said, I think we need a smaller set (maybe the size of Weathertop) based on The Black Gate. This set would include a scaled down version of the gate, with the Towers of the Teeth being where the gate hinges and opens. The figs could include Aragorn (in kingly garb), the Mouth of Sauron (one of my favourite villains of all of LOTR), Gandalf the White, Merry and Pippin. They would all be on horses, Aragorn would have Anduril, Merry and Pippin would be in armour. Sure, there isn't a ton of action, but that is inevitable with this theme. Not every set can have a ton of action in it, and some of the most important locations in the films are much more peaceful (The Shire, Rivendell, Lorien) but would make some of the lost amazing sets.

Heh heh heh, the whole part with the mouth of Sauron makes me laugh every time

"Your hobbit friends are dead" Shthunk

Anyway, I was always under the impression that the scene in the movie had them at the forge, as all the other elves had left. Oh, and with this amazing MOC by Legohaulic, I think we now know what to expect from a Mumakil set

6884098036_a61cea6f72_z.jpg

LOTR Oliphant by Legohaulic, on Flickr

That Mumak is well done. I especially like the tower part. But, I think for an actual LEGO set, we should get that size but molded. The amounts of special big molds LEGO has been dishing out recently (the new Dino sets, this summer wave's Jabba) calls for a nice big molded Mumak. Also, when I imagined what a LEGO Mumak could be, I saw the tails of Castle dragons used for the tusks. Maybe that is a bit too big, but the bigger, the better.

Sorry for being the last one to post here, but I think I have a decent idea for how LEGO could tackle a Minas Tirith set similar in size to Helm's Deep. Helm's Deep is definitely one of the biggest and most detailed castles LEO has ever made, so, for Minas Tirith, they could do something similar.

Firstly, for a Minas Tirith set, the front gate section could be built in a similar fashion to the Helm's Deep gate and curved wall. The gate could sit in the middle, while on either side, curved walls stretch out. Only, on Minas Tirith, the amount of curve the walls have could be lessened. I will get to the reason for this in a bit. But first, like Helm's Deep, there needs to be and inner wall or section of the fortress, with a possible throne room. This is where LEGO could put the big triangular rock that juts out into the middle of the city. On the inside, they could make a small throne room, similar to the one in Helm's Deep, only more akin to the throne of Gondor.

Now, back to the curved walls. The reason the walls should not be as curved as the Helm's Deep walls is because Minas Tirith is so much bigger. It would look to squished. Therefore, LEGO could make, like Uruk-hai Army, and expansion set for Minas Tirith. This set could consist of a section of curved wall, at the same angle as the walls in the big set, that could be added on. Therefore, with a couple of those sets added on, you could have a pretty decent first level of Minas Tirith. And yes, people will want to see a massive set with all seven levels, but LEGO would never release something like that. This is more of a realistic idea, and I think it sounds pretty good.

Now, for the figures! In the main Minas Tirith set, Gandalf the White would be an obvious one. Also, Pippin in his Gondor clothes. Along with that, Denethor could be included to sit in he throne room. He could have a double sided head with an upset face and a scared 'Holy carp, I'm on fire' face. Along with those three, I think two basic Gondorian soldiers could be included, and two exclusive Tower Guard figs. Now, before I go into detail about the Tower Guards, or the evil figs, I have an idea for a basic Gondorian face. The Rohan soldier has a basic, bearded face with and angry side and an upset side. The Gondorians, however, could have an upset face with a brown beard, and a masked face. The masked face would be based off of how the Tower Guards have those black masks that cover all their face except their eyes. But sometimes Rangers also wear these masks, so this sort of face could easily be used for pretty much every Gondorian that isn't a character. So, back to the Tower Guards. They could be pretty much identical to the basic soldiers, but have black capes, black shafted spartan spears, and special helmet molds with the big sea bird wings.

So, now that the good guys are taken care of, onto the bad guys! I think that a Minas Tirith set similar in size to the Helm's Deep set would still need to be bigger and more expensive than Helm's Deep. That is why there would be more figs. The attacking army could consist of six orcs (designed to look like the Black Orcs that attack the White City), with either double sided heads or different coloured heads. Also, there would be an attack troll, with armour and hammer. Along with these, a small siege tower could be included to scale the walls. The justification for more figs and a siege tower comes from the fact that Minas Tirith has no Horn tower or Deeping Wall, but simply the two sections and the attacking army.

So, that covers the main Minas Tirith set for figs. Now to the expansion set. This set, I think, would make way more sense without any characters or heroes, unlike Uruk-hai Army, which has Eomer. So, it could include two basic Gondor soldiers, with assorted weapons (swords, spears, shields, bows). Also, a horse could be included in dark tan, with printing on its face to represent the armour Gondor horse wear on their heads. As for the enemy, you could get four orcs, like the ones in the big Minas Tirith set, with assorted weapons. Along with them could be another attack troll, identical to the one in Minas Tirith.

I this that, with one Minas Tirith set and four expansion sets, anyone could have a very big and epic Siege of Minas Tirith scene, and just thinking of these ideas makes me really wish they were real!

basically what you've caputred here is why the LotR franchise is so awesome - they could be churning out new sets for a decade and we'd still not be finished.

great selection, I love that you broek it down by the books.

Been thinking about making a topic like this, but it looks like it isn't needed anymore.

So here follows my gigantic list, which will keep being updated as soon as more of my ideas are added.

Magma's List of LOTR Set Ideas

BEWARE: This list is very large.

The Fellowship of the Ring

Bilbo's Party

Minifigs: Bilbo Baggins (old, with coat), Frodo Baggins (no coat, vest only*), Gandalf the Grey (with new hairpiece), Merry (*), Pippin (*) and Rosy Cotton.

Components and scenery: A part of Bilbo's house, a small tent, 2 tables with food, cart with fireworks, two trees attached to each other with a line inbetween with colorful lanterns hanging, and a stage for Bilbo.

Size: Small.

Extra information:

The random Hobbit could either be a random Hobbit based on one out of many from the movie, as seen during the party, or Samwise Gamgee. (With a dark coat)

Under the tent, there could be a large 'dragon' firework with a mechanism to shoot itinto the air along with the tent, like Merry and Pippin did in the movie.

The Prancing Pony

Minifigs: Barliman Butterbur (innkeeper), Frodo Baggins (incl. hairpiece and hood, coat*), Sam Gamgee (*), Merry (*), Pippin (*), Aragorn (Strider) and 2 Nazgûl on horses.

Components and scenery: The inn itself with 2 floors: the first floor has a door leading outside with Barliman behind the counter, some tankards/cups/glasses, 1 table with chairs near a window (for Aragorn) and a staircase leading upstairs. The second floor contains a door, leading to a little room with 4 small beds and a window. Outside, there's a sign hanging from the building with 'The Prancing Pony' on it.

Size: Medium.

Extra information:

Could come with extra figures of another Nazgûl and a visitor of the inn. Perhaps some things to be placed outside like they did for the POTC inn, but the inn itself would be big enough already.

Pursuit of the Nazgûl

Minifigs: Arwen, Frodo Baggins (wounded) and 1/2 Nazgûl.

Components and scenery: 1 white horse for Arwen, and black horses for the Nazgûl (number depends on how many there are). Could include a few trees as well.

Arrival in Rivendell

Minifigs: Frodo Baggins (no coat), Bilbo Baggins (old, no coat), Elrond, Boromir, (no cape) and Aragorn (Rivendell clothing).

Components and scenery: The location for the Council of Elrond, with several chairs, some sort of round block in the middle with the ring on it, walls around the place with a baloncy at the end, and a door or staircase somewhere leading away from it. As for the part of the movie where Bilbo is, there could be a loose bit with part of a balcony and a door leading into some sort of apartment. Could come with some plants, foliage and things such as trees for behind the balconies, but those are unnecessary. The set would come with Bilbo's sword, sting, for the scene where he gives it to Frodo.

Other than this there would be the building where Frodo wakes up.

Extra information:

None.

The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm

Minifigs: Gandalf the Grey (no hat), 2 regular Moria orcs and 1 armored Moria orc.

Components and scenery: The Balrog of Morgoth, 2 columns (Large pillars for the orcs to climb off) and a collapsing bridge.

Extra information:

Could come with one other person of the Fellowship, perhaps Aragorn in a different outfit.

Attack on Amon-Hen

Minifigs: Boromir, Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, Lurtz and 2 Uruk-hai.

Components and scenery: Some trees, plants and foliage to resemble Amon-hen. Might come with the building where Aragorn first draws his sword,

right before the battle begins.

Extra information:

If this one would be made, I hope both Merry and Pippin would make it into the set.

Else you'd have to get The Mines of Moria for one of them and this one for the other, probably.

The Two Towers

Encounter with Gollum

Minifigs: Frodo Baggins (coat), Sam Gamgee (coat) and Gollum.

Components and scenery: Some rocks and a few 'beds' with cloth on them. (x2)The rocks would be placed onto small plates, with a few dark tan grass stems here and there. There should also be a larger rock wall, for Gollum to climb off like in the film, before he attacks the Hobbits.

Extra information:

(They could either make this set or 'The Dead Marshes', as they seem too much of the same this way.)

The Dead Marshes

Minifigs: Frodo Baggins (no coat), Sam Gamgee (no coat), Gollum, 1/2 dead men/elves and 1 Nazgûl.

Components and scenery: This set would feature the dirty water, with the dead man/elf placed under it in a way so that it looks like it's underwater, with a play feature to have Frodo fall into it - but I'm not sure how they would incorporate this into a small set, so probably just the marshes with 2 of the dead ones seen underwater with some plants around. Other than that, it would come with a Fell beast for the Nazgûl and the plants for Gollum and the Hobbits to hide under. This would make it more of a medium-sized set, but without the Fell beast, it would be small-sized.

Size: Small to Medium.

Extra information:

It would either be the set without the Fell beast and the Nazgûl, or everything as stated in 'components and scenery' - an extra Fell beast plus Nazgûl would be better, though, and I'd rather see that happening than just the Hobbits in the marshes.

(They could either make this set or 'Encounter with Gollum', as they seem too much of the same this way.)

Hobbit Escape

Minifigs: Merry (coat), Pippin (coat), Grishnakh, Snaga (or generic orc), maybe Uglúk and 2 Riders of Rohan on horses.

Components and scenery: Parts that make up the Uruk-hai camp near the forest, the border to Fangorn with several trees, with some more trees, plants and foilage behind it,

and also Treebeard. His arms and legs can move independently and he can stand on the baseplate for the ability to stomp onto Grishnakh, like in the movie. So Fangorn Forest is built up on a baseplate with some trees, the border (created with trees), and the camp components stand loosely on small, dark tan plates.

Size: Small or Medium.

Extra information:

Could perhaps come with an additional orc or another Uruk-hai.

The Golden Hall

Minifigs: King Théoden (maybe 2 hairpieces, 1 blond and 1 white, with a reversible head: 'normal' and 'cursed'), Grima Wormtongue, 1 Royal Guard (helmet), Gamling, Legolas (cape) and Gandalf the White.

Components and scenery: The hall itself, placed upon a baseplate with gates at the end (and some space outside for a part of the stairs, with 2 flags), with pillars, a throne and probably walls.

Extra information:

Could either be a version of the hall on a baseplate, with walls on only two sides (the back and one side, excluding the part with the gates) or the full building itself with a removable roof. I myself would by far prefer the last one, but that one seems less likely to me.

Could maybe have 2 additional figures of Éomer and Éowyn, plus an extra white cape for Gandalf if he has his grey clothing in the set, as shown in the movie, before he reveals his white garments.

Warg Attack

Minifigs: Aragorn, Rider of Rohan and 2 Warg Riders.

Components and scenery: 2 horses and 2 Wargs. (Brick-built or a new mold)

Extra information:

Could include another horse with a Rider of Rohan, but it might be a bit too much for a small set like this.

Last March of the Ents

Minifigs: Merry, Pippin and 2 orc soldiers.

Components and scenery: A scaffold with a play feature to make it collapse, and a brick-built Treebeard that is fully pose-able and can stand up on one leg on a plate to stamp onto an orc, for example.

Extra information:

Could come with another ent as well, of a smaller size. Then it would be a medium-sized set for sure.

The Return of the King

The Great Gate of Minas Tirith

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, 2 Gondorian soldiers, 1 Gondorian archer, 3 orc soldiers, orc lieutenant Gothmog, Pippin (Gondorian outfit) and 1 armored troll.

Components and scenery: The large gates of Minas Tirith (where the trolls play their part in), with large walls on both sides of the gates, curving a bit backwards and

1 or 2 buildings to be placed inside. The gates could have a play feature to be smashed apart and re-assembled later again, but gates that just open are more likely. Plus Gandalf's white horse, Shadowfax.

Size: Large.

Extra information:

Since Minas Tirith is so large, I decided not to put everything together as it would just be too big and too much.

As you can see, I always tend to keep the components in my set ideas (minifigs and builds) reasonable, and thus within LEGO standards.

I hope they have potential to be made into real sets, as I'm sure that TLC takes our ideas into note. I hope they'll do so with these - a gigantic, 3.000 piece Minas Tirith probably isn't gonna happen, so it has to be divided into seperate parts from the movie scenes.

This is part 1: the gates.

Siege Tower

Minifigs: 3 orc soldiers, 2 Gondorian archers and 1 or 2 trolls. (1 is more likely, though)

Components and scenery: The orc siege tower as seen in the film, used to attack Minas Tirith - it was pushed towards the walls of Minas Tirith by trolls.

Extra information:

Could come with a wall similair or identical to the one from my 'Orc Army' idea, with a play feature to destroy/topple down the crenelations and/or a top part of the wall, with a boarding ramp so the orcs can run into Minas Tirith from the siege towers.

Orc Army

Minifigs: 2 orc soldiers, 1 orc archer and 2 Gondorian soldiers.

Components and scenery: A large wall of Minas Tirith, as some sort of expansion for the rest of Minas Tirith, like the official Uruk-hai Army set as an expansion for Helm's Deep.

Perhaps a catapult or something else that's small, but the wall would have to stand tall, and the set would be a Minas Tirith version of the official Uruk-hai Army set, so the piece count should be about equal. Maybe just a small catapult or something.

Extra information:

It's mainly an army builder set and a Minas Tirith expansion in one, like the official Helm's Deep + Uruk-hai Army sets.

The White Tree

Minifigs: Denethor, 1 Gondorian soldier, 1 Gondorian archer and 2 orc soldiers.

Components and scenery: The White Tree of Gondor and 1 or 2 barrels with spears. They could add a part of the tower hall, with some statues and a gate.

Extra information:

None.

The Battle of Osgiliath

Minifigs: Faramir, 2 Gondorian soldiers, 2 Ithilien rangers and 2 orc soldiers. (Perhaps 3 orcs)

Components and scenery: Blue baseplate to resemble water, attached to another plate standing a bit higher above the water, 1 boat for the orcs. Other than that there are some ruins,

and a small destroyed building with a staircase on its side leading up to some sort of platform, or a roof, with a broken wall on the other side of the set, opposing the building.

Extra information:

Could be a bit bigger with more generic soldiers of each faction, but this seemed like a good idea to me as it would be a nice, small set for a good amount of figures for each faction.

The location would look a bit like where Faramir was in the movie (RotK), and the wall would be the one he hid behind for a while - just to explain it a bit more.

Saruman's Demise

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, King Théoden (with hairpiece or helmet), Legolas (cape), Saruman and Grima Wormtongue.

Components and scenery: The Tower of Orthanc, a bit scaled down and not minifig-scale (that would just be too big) with place for Saruman and Grima on top, the pointy warmachine near a blue baseplate (resembling water), Gandalf's white horse Shadowfax, 2 brown horses for Aragorn and Théoden and a white horse for Legolas. Treebeard is a small possibility, yet too unlikely.

Extra information:

Maybe with an additional minifig of Merry or Pippin, but they didn't have a big role in this scene so if they were in the set, they would just be an extra.

Can't really see the additions of them happening, though.

Attack of the Witch-king

Minifigs: Éowyn (Rohirrim outfit), Merry (Rohirrim outfit), King Théoden (wounded) and the Witch-king of Angmar. (Maybe an orc or a mounted Rohirrim soldier added)

Components and scenery: A brick-built Fell beast for the Witch-king, and 1 white horse for Théoden.

Extra information:

This wouldn't be everything for The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, this is just the part the Witch-king plays his largest role in.

Battle of Pelennor Fields

Minifigs: Legolas, 1 Rider of Rohan, 2 Haradrim archers and Shane Rangi. (Haradrim leader)

Components and scenery: One large, brick-built or molded Mumak (also known as Oliphaunt) with the Haradrim soldiers mounted on them, and a horse of any color for the Rider of Rohan. (Preferably a new color, rather than brown)

Extra information:

Could be in-between small and medium, and serve as a larger kind of 'battlepack' to recreate the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. (Although it only has 3 generic minifigs)

The Black Gate

Minifigs: Aragorn (Gondor outfit), Mouth of Sauron, 2 orcs, 2 Rohirrim soldiers, 1 Gondorian soldier and an armored troll.

Components and scenery: The Black Gate itself in a pretty large scale, Brego (Aragorn's horse), a black horse and maybe some scenery to add up to it.

Size: Medium or Large.

Extra information:

Could come with more generic soldiers, depends on how big the set is.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Bag End

Minifigs: Bilbo Baggins (young, no coat), Gandalf the Grey, Thorin Oakenshield, and 2 dwarves.

Components and scenery: Bilbo's house, with the outside, some parts of the interior, including the room with the large table. It could have several chairs,

but since there are only 3 out of all 13 dwarves in this set, they could just stamp a sign saying "Collect all 13 dwarves!" on the front of the box, somewhere. Doubt it though, haha.

Extra information:

Could include any of the dwarves, as long as there are about 2, other than Thorin Oakenshield who should be there, being the third dwarf in this set.

Gollum's Cave

Minifigs: Bilbo Baggins (young, coat) and Gollum.

Components and scenery: Some rocks on a baseplate, placed onto a blue baseplate to resemble water, with a small boat and several other details.

Extra information:

Could come with The One Ring - depends on whether it appears in the scene in the movie or not.

Roast Mutton

Minifigs: Bilbo Baggins (young), the 3 trolls, Gandalf the Grey and Thorin Oakenshield.

Components and scenery: A campfire with some trees, maybe a large rock for Gandalf and a few sacks.

Extra information:

Maybe another extra dwarf or someone other than Thorin Oakenshield.

Spider Attack

Minifigs: Bilbo Baggins (young and different clothing) and 2 dwarves (wrapped up in spider webs).

Components and scenery: A tree to have the dwarves hanging from it and 2 spiders. (Or 1, depending on the size in the movie)

Extra information:

None.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

This was my gigantic list of set ideas... for now. :tongue:

This list will keep getting updated as soon as more ideas are added, so keep looking back on page 2 of the topic if you wish to see more ideas of mine.

I really do hope that LEGO finds my list and uses some of the ideas.

~ General Magma

More than anything else I think the next round of sets need to include some female characters. You can't have a Lord of the Rings LEGO theme without at least Arwen, Galadriel and Eowyn in minifigure form.

Edited by Graysmith

The Return of the King

The Great Gate of Minas Tirith

Minifigs: Gandalf the White, 2 Gondorian soldiers, 1 Gondorian archer, 3 orc soldiers, orc lieutenant Gothmog, Pippin (Gondorian outfit) and 1 armored troll.

Components and scenery: The large gates of Minas Tirith (where the trolls play their part in), with large walls on both sides of the gates, curving a bit backwards and

1 or 2 buildings to be placed inside. The gates could have a play feature to be smashed apart and re-assembled later again, but gates that just open are more likely. Plus Gandalf's white horse, Shadowfax.

Size: Large.

Extra information:

Since Minas Tirith is so large, I decided not to put everything together as it would just be too big and too much.

As you can see, I always tend to keep the components in my set ideas (minifigs and builds) reasonable, and thus within LEGO standards.

I hope they have potential to be made into real sets, as I'm sure that TLC takes our ideas into note. I hope they'll do so with these - a gigantic, 3.000 piece Minas Tirith probably isn't gonna happen, so it has to be divided into seperate parts from the movie scenes.

This is part 1: the gates.

While your ideas are great and the execution is very close to TLG's standards, you are still including too many minifigures. Keep in mind that the huge Helm's Deep had a total of 8, so any Minas Tirith set should have no more than that. Also, TLG is biased towards heroes rather than common soldiers for the good side. With that in mind, I think that for Minas Tirith a more realistic assortment is the following: Gandalf, Faramir and 2 gondorian soldiers vs. orc commander, 2 orc soldiers and a giant troll.

I think that for Minas Tirith a more realistic assortment is the following: Gandalf, Faramir and 2 gondorian soldiers vs. orc commander, 2 orc soldiers and a giant troll.

Hmm, I think I'd rather see Faramir in an Osgiliath set,

I can imagine him being put in there. Faramir didn't play much of a role in the later parts of the Battle of Minas Tirith, so best have him in Osgiliath,

and another generic soldier in his place in a Minas Tirith set.

And yes - the figures of the official sets weren't all fully known when I wrote it back then, so I made some assumptions. Been changing a few things here and there on the list, lately.

~ General Magma Wanky-wanky Winky

EDIT: Uhh... who changed part of my post on page 2 to "wanky-wanky winky set ideas" on the top? I missed it after editing the post. :laugh:

Edited by General Magma

Battle-Packs, Battle-Packs, Battle-Packs.... :devil:

War of the Ring Battle-Packs:

01 Battle of Dagorlad [battle Pack 1]

1 x Númenor-warrior, 1 x Númenor-warrior with horse and armed with a lance

2 x Elves-warrior (Noldor)

02 Battle of Dagorlad [battle Pack 2]

3 x Orc Warrior, 1 Troll

With small Catapult

03 Battle of Moria [battle Pack 3]

3 x Moria Dwarve-warrior, 1 x Dwarve-warlord

04 Battle of Moria [battle Pack 4]

2 x Moria orcs, 1 x Angmar orc, 1 x Isengard orc with warg

05 Battle of Five Armies Battle Pack [battle Pack 5]

Lake town-sergeant, 2 x Solders, knight with horse and armed with a lance

06 Battle of Five Armies Battle Pack [battle Pack 6]

3 x Elves of Mirkwood (warriors), Elf Knight with unicorn and armed with a lance

07 Battle of Lorien [battle Pack 7]

Eastling warlord, 3 x Easterlings warriors,

08 Battle of Lorien [battle Pack 8]

2 x Lorien warriors, Lorien prince (warrior), Mirkwood warrior

09 Battle of Five Armies Battle Pack [battle Pack 9]

Dwarves of the Iron Hill Battle Pack

dwarf warlord, 3 x Iron Hill dwarves

10 Battle of Five Armies Battle Pack [battle Pack 10]

Orc Battle Pack

2 x Goblins of the Misty Mountains, 2 x Orcs of the Grey Mountains

11 Uruk-hai/ Dunlendings Battle Pack [battle Pack 11]

2 x Uruk-hai with Ledder, 2 x Dunlendings

12 Rohirrim [battle Pack 12]

3 x Rohirrim with horse

13 Battle of Fornost Erain [battle Pack 13]

Lindon Elf, Hobbit (Warrior), Dúnedain Ranger, Gondor Soldier,

14 Battle of Fornost Erain [battle Pack 14]

Troll, 2 x Goblins, Orc with Warg

15 Noldor Elves Battle Pack [battle Pack 15]

Noldor Commander, 2 x Noldor Soldiers, Nolder Knight with Unicorn and Lance

16 Teleri Elves [battle Pack 16]

Teleri Knight, 2 x Teleri Soldiers, Teleri Swanrider with Lance

17 Battle of Isengard [battle Pack 17]

2 x LEGO creator Ents

18 Battle of Isengard [battle Pack 18]

Orc with Warg, Uruk-hai, 2 x Isengard Guards

19 The Army of the Dead [battle Pack 19]

2 x Dead-solders with Dead-horses, 2 x Dead-solders (Minifigures and horses are special printed, shines in dark)

20 Haradrim [battle Pack 20]

2 x Haradrim-soldiers, Haradrim-commander with War chariot and two Lions

21 Battle of Osgiliath [battle Pack 21]

Gondors Cavalry: 3 x Gondor Rider with lance

22 Battle of Osgiliath [battle Pack 22]

Nazgûl Battle Pack: 2 x Nazgûl with flying Beast

23 Bucklander Battlepack [battle Pack 23]

Bucklander with Bagpipe, Bucklander Captain, 2 x Bucklander Warriors

24 Ruffian Battlepack [battle Pack 24]

Men Chief, 3 x Ruffians

25 Battle of Greenfields, Took Battle Pack [battle Pack 25]

Took with Bagpipe, Took with Pony and Lance, 2 x Took Warriors

26 Battle of Greenfields, Orc Battle Pack [battle Pack 26]

Mount Gram Orc Commander, Orc with Warg, 2 x Mount Gram Orc Warriors

27 Troll Warriors [battle Pack 27]

3 x Troll Warriors

28 The Army of Gondor [battle Pack 28]

Gondor Commander, 3 x Gondor Soldiers

29 the Ranger of Ithilien [battle Pack 29]

Ranger Commander with horse, Ranger with horse, 2 x rangers

30 The Haradrim [battle Pack 30]

2 x Haradrim Lion riders, 2 x Haradrim

...and later The Silmarillion Battle-Packs: :tongue:

31 The Infantry of Falas [battle Pack 31]

Falathrim-commander, 3 x Falathrim-soldiers

32 The Cavalry of Falas [battle Pack 32]

3 x Falathrim-knights with unicorns (armor) and lance

33 Nandor-elves [battle Pack 33]

Nandor-commander, 3 x Nandor-soldiers

34 Broadbeam-dwarves, Belegost [battle Pack 34]

Dwarf warlord, 3 x Broadbeam warriors

35 The Fall of Gondolin [battle Pack 35]

4 x soldiers:

The House of the King [symbol: Sun, Moon, Scarlet Heart, Leader: King Turgon]

House of the Heavenly Arch [symbol: Rainbow, Opal, Jewelled Boss, Leader: Egalmoth]

House of the Tree [symbol: Tree, Iron-studded club Leader: Galdor]

House of the Golden Flower [symbol: Rayed Sun, Golden Flower, Leader: Glorfindel

36 The Fall of Gondolin [battle Pack 36]

4 x soldiers:

House of the Fountain [symbol: Fountain, Silver, Diamonds, Leader: Ecthelion]

House of the Swallow [symbol: Arrowhead, Fan of Feathers, Leader: Duilin]

House of the Harp [symbol: Silver Harp, Leader: Salgant]

House of the Mole [symbol: Black Mole, Double-bladed Axe, Leader: Maeglin]

37 The Fall of Gondolin [battle Pack 37]

4 x soldiers:

House of the Pillar [symbol: A Pillar, Leader: Penlod]

House of the Tower of Snow [symbol: A Tower, Leader: Penlod]

House of the Wing [symbol: White Wing, Leader: Tuor]

House of the Hammer of Wrath [symbol: Stricken Anvil, Leader: Rog]

38 Gothmogs army [battle Pack 38]

LEGO creator Balrog-soldier (black armor, LED lights up)

39 Army of Angmar [battle Pack 39]

2 x Orc-soldiers, Orc-soldier with warg and armed with a lance, Orc-warlord (black armor) wit bull (red eyes, black armor),

40 Army of Angmar [battle Pack 40]

2 x Shadow-soldiers, Shadow-commander (bronze armor) with nightmare (black horse, bronze armor, red eyes) and armed with a firelance, Shadow-wizard (bronze armor) with black panther (bronze armor, erd eyes)

My wish list? Well given the subject matter I sense that we will see a lot of scenes rather than buildings etc. But with that said, here is what I think would be some good options.

1. An Unexpected Party - Just a small scene from BagEnd. Bilbo, Galndalf, Thorin and a smattering of Dwarves around Bilbo's well laden table.

2. Bilbo and the Trolls - Once again a simple scene. Bilbo, three trolls some accesories such as a bonfire, loot and chests, The loot and weapons.

3. The Prancing Pony - my big wish. A full MMV type Medievel inn. Strider, the Hobbits, Nazgul etc.

4. The Road to Bree - The one scene that has appeared in every variation of movie, so much art, heck I think it was the poster for the Bakshi animated LotR. The Hobbits hiding in the hollow of the tree roots while the Nazgul ride past on the road above them.

5. Rivendell - A BIG set!!! Enough said. (actually much like Hogwarts this one has the potential for at least two variants over several years. The Hobbit version and the FotR version.

6. The Barrow Wight encounter - A little dungeon crawling scene. The Hobbits vs the undead thingies. And Maybe a Tom Bombadil fig? (The lack of this encounter in the movies works against this one)

7. The Death of Boromir - Boromir, Merry Pippin, lots of orcs. Some trees etc. A nice little battle set.

8. The Spiders of Mirkwood - Bilbo, the Dwarves, a couple of the nice new spiders, a nice set of web connected trees.

9. Smaug - BIG showpiece set. Smaug, Bilbo, the treasure room. The secret entrance.

10. Riders of Rohan and Men of Gondor Battle packs. Horsies!!!

11. An assortment of small to mid sized Orc siege weaponry sets.

12. Eowyn vs the Witch King of Angmar - An absolute must do set for Lego. Eowyn, Merry, Theoden, The witch King and his dragon mount.

13. Mount Doom - The lava cave corrupted Frodo, Gollum, Sam, maybe an eagle?

14. The Barrel Riders - The Elven dock where Bilbo stuffs the Dwarves into the barrels.

15. The Docks of Dale - heavy browns. wooden docks and piers. Dwarves arriving in barrels. Archers ready to fight off the dragon etc.

Just so many cool possibilities.

Edited by Faefrost

My wish list? Well given the subject matter I sense that we will see a lot of scenes rather than buildings etc. But with that said, here is what I think would be some good options.

6. The Barrow Wight encounter - A little dungeon crawling scene. The Hobbits vs the undead thingies. And Maybe a Tom Bombadil fig? (The lack of this encounter in the movies works against this one)

If it is not in the films, It cannot be a set...

If it is not in the films, It cannot be a set...

Is the license just films? Or is it the entirety of the LoTR Middle Earth property? Just curious? I know Lego has done some unusual Star Wars "Expanded Universe" subjects, so was not sure how constrained they are with the Tolkien stuff?

Is the license just films? Or is it the entirety of the LoTR Middle Earth property? Just curious? I know Lego has done some unusual Star Wars "Expanded Universe" subjects, so was not sure how constrained they are with the Tolkien stuff?

Sadly it i just the filmsdefault_sad.gif

I disagree how do you know its just for the Movie Version? LOTR is books and has always been books. The movie just made it popular... I would think Lego would be doing a disservice if they just obtained movie rights licensing and not based on the IP of LOTR

EDIT i was wrong:

BILLUND, Denmark and Burbank, CA – December 16, 2011 – Warner Bros. Consumer Products and The LEGO Group announced today a partnership that awards the world’s leading construction toy brand exclusive rights to develop build-and-play construction sets based on THE LORD OF THE RINGS™ trilogy and the two films based on THE HOBBIT™. The multi-year licensing agreement grants access to the library of characters, settings, and stories for THE LORD OF THE RINGS property, as well as films The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again. LEGO® THE LORD OF THE RINGS construction sets are slated for a rolling global launch beginning in June 2012 in the United States, with LEGO THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY scheduled for later in the year.
Edited by natesroom

I disagree how do you know its just for the Movie Version? LOTR is books and has always been books. The movie just made it popular... I would think Lego would be doing a disservice if they just obtained movie rights licensing and not based on the IP of LOTR

EDIT i was wrong:

You were wrong, but in legal-speak, they don't mention the word "films" or "movies" when they mention LOTR, they only mention it when referring to the Hobbit movies. "Trilogy" doesn't necessarily mean movies; the books were sold as a set of three (even though Tolkien never considered it that way) and is usually referred to as a "trilogy." Yet they go out of their way to refer to the Hobbit movies as the "two films based on the Hobbit."

It's interesting to consider they didn't say "the three films based on the LOTR."

But I will tell you that, from what I understand, while George Lucus controls pretty much everything Star Wars and can do whatever he wants, the Tolkien estate retains control over the book material. Yes, they licensed it to Newline for the purposes of making a movie, and they were granted the rights to license other property based on the movies. The Tolkien estate is actually downright nasty when it comes to copyrights, trademarks, and any IP they can sue you for. I don't doubt they'd be on WB like stink on a pig if WB permitted a licensee to make something out of the books that wasn't in the movies, or if anyone made anything "new" that didn't resemble how it was done in the movie.

Edited by fred67