Sign in to follow this  
Darth Nihilus

Future LotR and Hobbit sets

I know the set my wife is hanging out for is a Rivendell set (preferably UCS), which could fit into either the LOTOR or Hobbit themes.

I'd like to see a set featuring the throne room of the Great Goblin.

I think that Goblin Town (the Great Goblin's kingdom) will be the biggest set for the first Hobbit wave. Since the first wave is only based on the first movie, and I think that it has been hinted that the first movie ends in Mirkwood with the spiders (apparently Tauriel appears), then Goblin Town could be done as a large scale battle scene, because it is the closest thing to a battle up to that point.

I've put some thought into how the wave could be done, and if they do the wave in the same fashion as the first LOTR wave (price and set size wise), then this is how I think it should pan out:

Gollum's Cave: small set, similar in size and price to Gandalf Arrives. Includes the entrance to the cave, some rocks, Gollum and his boat, Bilbo, and the Ring.

Escape from the Wargs: medium-small set, similar in size to Shelob Attacks. Includes two big brick-built trees, some Wargs, and maybe Gandalf, Bilbo, and Nori.

Beorn's House: medium sized set, similar to The Orc Forge (cold be the hard to find set of the wave). Includes a section of Beorn's house, Beorn, Bilbo, and some of the Dwarves, and maybe some animals.

Trollshaw: medium-large set, similar in size to Weathertop. Includes the three trolls, the camp fire, some roast mutton, Bilbo and the talking purse, and some of the dwarves. Maybe a tree or two.

Spider Encounter: large set, similar to Mines of Moria. Includes a bunch of creepy trees, lots of spider webs, some functions for capturing and freeing the dwarves, three or four spiders (built in a similar way to Shelob, only on a smaller scale), Bilbo, Bombur and some other dwarves, and maybe Tauriel, depending on if she appears in the film at this point.

Finally, Goblin Twon: large set, like Helm's Deep. Includes the main throne room with the Great Goblin, and some tunnel networks that break off to separate rooms or something (it will all depend on how it is depicted in the film), a bunch of Goblins, Bilbo, Thorin, and some of the other dwarves.

Also, what TLG could do, like they did with the Fellowship, is spread out the Dwarves across all of the sets, so you have to get a certain amount of the sets to collect the whole group. It wold suck for collectors, but for TLG, it would be very smart.

I think that Goblin Town (the Great Goblin's kingdom) will be the biggest set for the first Hobbit wave. Since the first wave is only based on the first movie, and I think that it has been hinted that the first movie ends in Mirkwood with the spiders (apparently Tauriel appears), then Goblin Town could be done as a large scale battle scene, because it is the closest thing to a battle up to that point.

I've put some thought into how the wave could be done, and if they do the wave in the same fashion as the first LOTR wave (price and set size wise), then this is how I think it should pan out:

Gollum's Cave: small set, similar in size and price to Gandalf Arrives. Includes the entrance to the cave, some rocks, Gollum and his boat, Bilbo, and the Ring.

Escape from the Wargs: medium-small set, similar in size to Shelob Attacks. Includes two big brick-built trees, some Wargs, and maybe Gandalf, Bilbo, and Nori.

Beorn's House: medium sized set, similar to The Orc Forge (cold be the hard to find set of the wave). Includes a section of Beorn's house, Beorn, Bilbo, and some of the Dwarves, and maybe some animals.

Trollshaw: medium-large set, similar in size to Weathertop. Includes the three trolls, the camp fire, some roast mutton, Bilbo and the talking purse, and some of the dwarves. Maybe a tree or two.

Spider Encounter: large set, similar to Mines of Moria. Includes a bunch of creepy trees, lots of spider webs, some functions for capturing and freeing the dwarves, three or four spiders (built in a similar way to Shelob, only on a smaller scale), Bilbo, Bombur and some other dwarves, and maybe Tauriel, depending on if she appears in the film at this point.

Finally, Goblin Twon: large set, like Helm's Deep. Includes the main throne room with the Great Goblin, and some tunnel networks that break off to separate rooms or something (it will all depend on how it is depicted in the film), a bunch of Goblins, Bilbo, Thorin, and some of the other dwarves.

Also, what TLG could do, like they did with the Fellowship, is spread out the Dwarves across all of the sets, so you have to get a certain amount of the sets to collect the whole group. It wold suck for collectors, but for TLG, it would be very smart.

I don't think it will happen like that but it would be nice.... they could even attach the Gollum's Cave to the "Goblin Town" somehow. And I hope they make a Rivendell set too.

These are my idea's... already 11 dwarves

Escape the Trolls

± 500 pcs

Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, Troll (or 2, perhaps all 3)new mold for trolls

Campfire and small cave

stone build troll

new mold swords (Glamdring, Orcrist)

Misty Mountains

± 150 pcs

Fili & Kili, goblin, great goblin

Small cave

Game of riddles

± 90 pcs

Bilbo

Gollum

Ring

The Chase - Battle set

± 200 pcs

2 Goblins, Ori, 1 Warg (new mold)

Brick build eagle, Dwarf in tree

The house of Beorn

± 500 pcs

Bombur, Beorn, Bear, Warg, 2 Goblins

Mirkwood

± 200 pcs

Nori & Dori

Brick build spider

Dungeon of the Elvenking

± 800 pcs

Bifur & Bofur, 2 woodelves, Thranduil

Prison and a stream with barrels

Hobbiton

± 400 pcs

Gandalf, Bilbo, Dwalin & Balin

Hobbit house

I totally want Rhosgobel, home of Radagast the Brown. Maybe alongside a fully moulded eagle (Gwaihir, the lord of eagles?) and a bear to represent Beorn.

We all pretty much know that there is going to be a Gollum's Cave set. I'm hoping for a Bag's End and a piece of Rivendell. I think that Lego will split up the dwarves into different sets. I would like to see the trolls, too. Although I have no idea how much of the book will be in the first movie.

Much as I'd love it, I don't believe TLG will put three molded trolls in anything less than a flagship set, and I don't see how that scene could possibly be the flagship. So my prediction is that they will either ignore the troll scene or put out a smallish set with just a few characters in it and one troll.

I bet Rivendell won't be in this wave, either. I suspect if we see Rivendell at all, it will be in a later LOTR wave featuring a couple of Nazgul and a certain charming Elf maiden. A set the size of Rivendell MUST have some conflict in it, and that's the only conflict that ever came near Rivendell.

Betting on Riddles in the Dark as the intro set for the first wave. Just Gollum, Bilbo and some rocks.

Also betting Beorn will be ignored, although given that they just released a new bear mold I hope I'm wrong on this one. Beorn's house would be heaven for animal collectors, but I doubt it will happen.

Much as I'd love it, I don't believe TLG will put three molded trolls in anything less than a flagship set, and I don't see how that scene could possibly be the flagship. So my prediction is that they will either ignore the troll scene or put out a smallish set with just a few characters in it and one troll.

I hate to agree with this, but it's definitely valid. Plus, each troll will most likely have a different appearance (clothing, face shape, etc), and that would probably be expensive on their part to produce.

I bet Rivendell won't be in this wave, either. I suspect if we see Rivendell at all, it will be in a later LOTR wave featuring a couple of Nazgul and a certain charming Elf maiden. A set the size of Rivendell MUST have some conflict in it, and that's the only conflict that ever came near Rivendell.

Ooh, modular Rivendell sets! No need for conflict, just lots of pretty elf buildings.

Also betting Beorn will be ignored, although given that they just released a new bear mold I hope I'm wrong on this one. Beorn's house would be heaven for animal collectors, but I doubt it will happen.

And Beorn himself was a giant, right? (Or at least a very large human.) That would probably need a new Hulk-like figure, for a character not as widely-known as the Hulk.

I just hope we get the 13 dwarves in the first wave.

I'm fearing the first wave will be a small one. if thats the case then it'll be too few minifigs :sceptic:

Edited by deskp

What would I like to see in future waves?

Faramir (my favorite character from the book)

Witch-King

more elves

more Moria orcs

battle packs

What would I like to see in future waves?

Faramir (my favorite character from the book)

Witch-King

more elves

more Moria orcs

battle packs

More moria orcs seems abit unnessecary, they got that race/faction covered so they can move on to next, the normal orcs desperatley needs variation seeing as the moria ones all wer just about the same thing while the other orcs dosen't.

Can't wait for lego to start making the gondorians and their heroes!

More moria orcs seems abit unnessecary, they got that race/faction covered so they can move on to next, the normal orcs desperatley needs variation seeing as the moria ones all wer just about the same thing while the other orcs dosen't.

Can't wait for lego to start making the gondorians and their heroes!

Orcs in my head were green, so I want a bunch of green orcs. It's my opinion that two of the same fig in one set that's a little too expensive to purchase more than one of hardly counts as "covered." As always, YMMV, but no one will twist your arm to make you get more.

And Beorn himself was a giant, right? (Or at least a very large human.) That would probably need a new Hulk-like figure, for a character not as widely-known as the Hulk.

I don't think the size proportions can be very accurate. Beorn as a regular mini figure would be fine, as far as I am concerned. After all, Aragorn is 6'6'' (1.98m) tall e.g. Eowyn much smaller. They'll be of the same height in LEGO, and so can be Beorn. :classic:

I don't think the size proportions can be very accurate. Beorn as a regular mini figure would be fine, as far as I am concerned. After all, Aragorn is 6'6'' (1.98m) tall e.g. Eowyn much smaller. They'll be of the same height in LEGO, and so can be Beorn. :classic:

Hmm, or maybe they could give him the Hagrid treatment to make him extra tall and beefy.

Hmm, or maybe they could give him the Hagrid treatment to make him extra tall and beefy.

I didn't know about Hagrid. But Google showed me what it looks like. Could work for Beorn! :thumbup:

Why merge the separate Hobbit thread with the LOTR one?

As was discussed in the LOTR 2012 thread, there should be a separate Hobbit thread where spoilers can be freely discussed without the risk of ruining the upcoming movies for people (like myself) who haven't read The Hobbit and are waiting to see the movies. Most people are familiar with LOTR at this point either through the books or the movies, but far fewer are as familiar with The Hobbit since the film adaptations haven't been released yet. You really can't treat LOTR and The Hobbit as the same thing, not until December 2013 when the second Hobbit movie is out.

I'm going to have to avoid this thread from now on because I don't want to end up accidentally reading spoilers about The Hobbit. :thumbdown:

Why merge the separate Hobbit thread with the LOTR one?

As was discussed in the LOTR 2012 thread, there should be a separate Hobbit thread where spoilers can be freely discussed without the risk of ruining the upcoming movies for people (like myself) who haven't read The Hobbit and are waiting to see the movies. Most people are familiar with LOTR at this point either through the books or the movies, but far fewer are as familiar with The Hobbit since the film adaptations haven't been released yet. You really can't treat LOTR and The Hobbit as the same thing, not until December 2013 when the second Hobbit movie is out.

I'm going to have to avoid this thread from now on because I don't want to end up accidentally reading spoilers about The Hobbit. :thumbdown:

It makes sense to me, both works are belong to one Legendarium, with shared characters. Discussion of one work would be bound to spill over into the other, anyway. It's rather different from, say, separating Marvel and DC, which have hardly any crossover. It also depends on whether TLG will keep the waves separate or release mixed LotR and Hobbit waves.

I actually think that as far as the books, far more people have read The Hobbit than LotR. As for the movies, no mere mortal is familiar with the Hobbit yet. :tongue:

If you want to stay away from spoilers, then, yeah, I guess the only thing to do is to stay away from discussion on the Legendarium. Or better yet, read The Hobbit. :wink:

Not sure you'll read this, what with avoiding this thread, it's just my general opinion on why keep the topics together.

Edited by Ardelon

It makes sense to me, both works are belong to one Legendarium, with shared characters. Discussion of one work would be bound to spill over into the other, anyway. It's rather different from, say, separating Marvel and DC, which have hardly any crossover. It also depends on whether TLG will keep the waves separate or release mixed LotR and Hobbit waves.

I actually think that as far as the books, far more people have read The Hobbit than LotR. As for the movies, no mere mortal is familiar with the Hobbit yet. :tongue:

If you want to stay away from spoilers, then, yeah, I guess the only thing to do is to stay away from discussion on the Legendarium. Or better yet, read The Hobbit. :wink:

Not sure you'll read this, what with avoiding this thread, it's just my general opinion on why keep the topics together.

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people who aren't avid book readers who, seeing as The Hobbit has yet to be released in movie form, don't know anything about The Hobbit and don't want the upcoming movies to be spoiled. Even if they are from the same author and share characters, that's a huge difference from The Lord of the Rings, which has existed in movie form for ten years now.

I mean, seriously.. I'm asking for there to be two threads instead of one. I'm not asking for there to be two separate subforums. I'm not asking for the Berlin Wall here. It's one extra thread, and it allows many people (like myself) to keep up with rumours and discussion about future LOTR sets while knowing no one's going to spoil The Hobbit in that thread. It's really not an unreasonable request.

The Hobbit is a 70 year old classic book, I'd honestly assume if you were interested enough in both the LEGOs and the movie to have read it, and if not, it was by your choice. :shrug_confused: There's nothing to discuss about the Hobbit sets except for a board game we know nearly nothing about, anyway.

Edited by CallMePie

I'm not going to get into a debate over this, I've said what I wanted to say. I don't think it'd hurt anyone if there were two separate threads, but apparently that's just me. Gotta save a few bytes on the server, I guess.

Millions of people have read The Hobbit. We shouldn't filter conversation of this book just because there's a Hobbit movie coming out - if anything the movie should promote more conversation.

Since The Hobbit and LOTR are all part of one world, intricately woven together, then it stands to reason that the thread should be likewise.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to how Lego handles the Battle of Five Armies. That could make for the ultimate battle pack if they can fit a member of each army in the set.

:wall: Seriously? Wow. It's like not reading the Harry Potter books because you don't want the movies to be spoilt.

Anyway, concerning the Hobbit (See what I did there? :grin: ) sets, if we get another similar sized wave, I main hope that I have is that the Helms Deep-sized set is the forest of Mirkwood (Complete with Thranduil's throne room, Dungeon area, and barrel escaping action!), with the Uruh-hai Army-set being a Mirkwood Spider set, allowing compatibility between the two. Of course, it all depends where the Hobbit: Part 1 ends.

Edited by Professor Flitwick

Anyway, concerning the Hobbit (See what I did there? :grin: ) sets, if we get another similar sized wave, I main hope that I have is that the Helms Deep-sized set is the forest of Mirkwood (Complete with Thranduil's throne room, Dungeon area, and barrel escaping action!), with the Uruh-hai Army-set being a Mirkwood Spider set, allowing compatibility between the two. Of course, it all depends where the Hobbit: Part 1 ends.

I see what you did there! :tongue:

well I have a few ideas of what I'd like to see Concerning the Hobbit (I didn't say that to copy you professor, nor do I intend to exhaust the joke)as I very recently read the book!

The Hobbit:

Bag End - It has to come out, it's the home of the main character in the Hobbit Bilbo and then also Frodo's Home in Lord of the Rings! maybe with a couple of dwarves, Gandalf and Bilbo

Roast Mutton - The three trolls would make an awesome set, however I think having 3 trolls in one set is unlikely, however this scene is iconic in the book so will be in the film too!

Riddles in the Dark - The most iconic scene in this so will probably most definately be made! Gollum and Bilbo being the likely ones included and of course the ring!

Flies and Spiders - maybe another set like Shelob attacks but with 2 spiders and a few of the Dwarves

Barrels out of Bond - again another iconic scene, could see potential for a small set with maybe 2 dwarves and barrels and a small section of river

A Warm Welcome/Fire and Water - I see the potential for a Laketown Scene with Smaug rather than a lair with Smaug because there would be far too much gold to put into a set like that! probably with Bard and a couple of the dwarves

The Clouds Burst - I have no idea how they would do this, it depends what happens in this scene in the film!

and for Future Lord of the Rings:

Fellowship of the Ring:

I would love to see a set with Gandalf and Saruman as they have their fight in Isengard! A Sauron from the flashback would be a welcome addition too (maybe with the guy who chopped his finger off, his name escapes me)

The Two Towers:

mini models (bit like the architecture series) of both Orthanc and Barad Dur with the eye of Sauron on the top of Barad Dur (someone can correct me if that is not the name of Sauron's tower as I haven't seen all the films yet, and the ones I have seen, I saw for the first time so missed some things)

TreeBeard - brick built with Pippin and Merry!

Rohan - couple of wooden huts maybe?

Some set which includes an army of men (4 or 5) and Gandalf the White as they drive the Uruk Hai away

Just a few ideas of mine and as I say, I've only read the Hobbit and seen The Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers both once, yet to watch Return of the King :')

Orcs in my head were green, so I want a bunch of green orcs. It's my opinion that two of the same fig in one set that's a little too expensive to purchase more than one of hardly counts as "covered." As always, YMMV, but no one will twist your arm to make you get more.

Orcs were/are tan (dark tan too), brown (many different tints - dark orange should work for LEGO orcs too), red (or well, reddish, so like sand red),

grey (both light and dark), green (various tints, so olive green and sand green should both work) and some were even sand blue.

I seriously hope TLG considers the huge differences orcs have - The Orc Forge was just a start, but I hope we'll have different orcs in next waves.

Perhaps one of the current ones in a set here and there, but we need lots of variation on the orcs. That would make them fantastic.

Regarding the dwarves: I really hope we'll see all 13 in the first wave, but if not,

I think they'd try to have 6/7 dwarves in wave 1 for The Hobbit, and 7/6 dwarves in wave 2. (Assuming that winter sets belong to The Hobbit, and summer sets to LOTR.)

I also hope that Gollum (in a possible 'Gollum's Cave' set) will have a new expression instead of a re-use of the first version.

Does anyone know when we should start expecting news on the sets for The Hobbit?

~ General Magma