Norrington

About those troops....

They are much better thoughts Mr Calvin!

The only reason I'd like to believe red is the British marines and blue is British naval is because it opens up the possibility for a whole new sub-theme for the French.

returning to non-thinking-mode, the important thing is that the blue ones look pretty cool and the red ones look like losers

I liked you better in "thinking-mode" X-D

I'm inclined to think both Imperial Soldiers and Guard are British as well. In my current MOC I've got blue sailors all over the ship-of-the-line that's docked, and the redcoats are stationed at the port. Not that a regiment of redcoat marines would be out of place on a ship, but this isn't exactly a large warship.

Granted the French had several uniforms that looked really similar to the stock blue/white with bandoliers, but generally speaking the uniforms seem obviously British. Red for marines, blue for sailors.

Interestingly enough, grenadiers from Nassau wore a variant of the basic Soldier torso, in green. So if you want Jamaican soldiers, Lego has green arms, and the Soldiers torso pattern can't be too hard to find.

There's a lot more leeway with the decorative "admiral" torsos - I've seen identical jackets on uniforms from British, French, Croatian, Maltese, and a dozen other naval officers in the Napoleonic era.

An 1815 French officer could actually be made with parts already existing if Lego felt like making a French faction. Black torso (maybe the classic Fireman torso) with the chrome "Conquistador" armor over it. Black sleeves. White gloves. Yellow epilets. Tan pants. And a chrome Dragon Master helmet with a red feather.

An 1815 French grenadier could also be made - the blue/white torso, red epilets, white pants, tall hat. I'd keep the blue sleeves and actually give him red gloves to add the necessary red element.

Lastly, a French lancer could be made too. Red pants, red sleeves, tan hands, yellow epilets, and a Paradisa red dinner jacket (although I'd rather see it done accurately with the black collar and trimming, and white bandolier over it).

But anyway ... yeah ... British.

In my current MOC I've got blue sailors all over the ship-of-the-line that's docked, and the redcoats are stationed at the port.

Now I curious to see some pictures of what you describe here!

Do you plan to post some in the Pirate MOC forum?

Anyway, welcome to the forum :capn: !!!

I'm inclined to think both Imperial Soldiers and Guard are British as well. In my current MOC I've got blue sailors all over the ship-of-the-line that's docked, and the redcoats are stationed at the port. Not that a regiment of redcoat marines would be out of place on a ship, but this isn't exactly a large warship.

I also would like to see pics of your MOC matey.

They are much better thoughts Mr Calvin!

The only reason I'd like to believe red is the British marines and blue is British naval is because it opens up the possibility for a whole new sub-theme for the French.

the blues can't be british naval forces because maybe de martinet and braod side could and maybe the guys from the cc but the soldier have to be french, because the soldiers in the era i choose to build, (1720-1790) only wore red where as officers and naval officers wore blue, and sailor wore whatever they want.

Actually most lego was designed in Denmark, couldn't we assume that technically they are all Danish Troopers?

:)

Actually most lego was designed in Denmark, couldn't we assume that technically they are all Danish Troopers?

*everyone in this forum at once* no!

but the den..markians... people from denamerk..... oh yeah the Danish, diddn't have a pescence in the caribbean as far as i care or beleive....

Uhmm....you might want to read abit on the Caribbean. Never heard of the Danish West Indies, today known as the US Virgin Islands? wait a sec...aren't you American?

but the den..markians... people from denamerk..... oh yeah the Danish, diddn't have a pescence in the caribbean as far as i care or beleive....

On land: Redcoats are the British, Bluecoats are the French...

At Sea: can be both....

IMO....

I second that!

I'm sensing some resistance to my suggestion.... actually several pics online show some nice red and blue uniforms for the Danish line forces in the 17th and 18th century.

http://www.milhist.dk/uniforms/1848_3.gif

Finally! Someone with a brain! Well done Aaron *y*

Maybe they are all Danish-made using plastic derived from Middle-East oil Troopers.

In that case they'd be "Danish made by child labor using plastic derived from dead compressed dinosaurs from the Middle east troopers", we'll call them "dino troopers" for short.

ok I've taken it too far....

Finally! Someone with a brain! Well done Aaron *y*

Maybe they are all Danish-made using plastic derived from Middle-East oil Troopers.

On land: Redcoats are the British, Bluecoats are the French...

At Sea: can be both....

IMO....

Aha! There we go, except, the Imperial soldier grunts (with backpacks) Can't be british, bcause the british forces as far as i know, DIDN'T wear blue, only officers and other more important people, Wear as basic soldiers and sgt's wore red.

Mr Norrington it depends what you mean by "forces". Yes the ranking officers in the British Navy wore uniforms while the average sailor didn't, but the ranking officers were also part of the "forces".

It would be good to get confirmation as to whether the commanding officers are officially part of the forces, or whether they're considered a separate contingent.

By confirmation I refer to someone who actually knows the answer, not a personal opinion or assumption.

I double dog dare someone to go up to an officer in the Army and tell them they're really part of the armed forces. If you do take this dare I highly recommend running away quickly after.

It would be good to get confirmation as to whether the commanding officers are officially part of the forces, or whether they're considered a separate contingent.

By confirmation I refer to someone who actually knows the answer, not a personal opinion or assumption.

I would if i could Aaron, But i don't live near an active military base :-P , just historic Fort Snelling (wich has war reanactemnts, but i've never found free enough time to go.)

Also, in my opinion, The officers, like broadside, Only go into battle IF NECCESARY, mainly standing on the qaurter deck, waving a cutlass around for no reason and trying to look busy incase a higher ranking officer comes on deck :-P , silly broadside :-|| .

Hi guys...

Thought I'd throw this out on the table... Lego obviously never made particular refference to any European colonial powers in creating the Bluecoat Soldiers and the Redcoat Imperial Guards but we have all with some good reason automatically associated the Imperial Guards as the British, even though in the case of the British Navy we should be using dark navy blue.

It stands to all rights then that the soldiers should be French but if one was to make use of the minifigs for historical perspective I wanted to see what everyone had in mind. The soldiers could also double up as the one and only attempt made by Scotland to found a colony in the New World prior to the union in 1711. They are a little too early to be made use as American forces. I know we have the torso designs here to make up what we want but just wanted to get an idea of what in their true state the reds and blues should represent. In some ways the model titles like Port Royal, Broadside's Brigg etc imply British but Eldorado Fortress - Spanish?

I always grew up associating colours like Red - British, Blue - French, Yellow - Spanish etc and had thought it would be great had lego developed the torsos in colours like green, yellow, black etc so as to represent alternative European powers or military divisions etc. Was thrilled with the conquistador minifigs when they came out... felt a Spanish and Portuguese sense was strongly needed. Anyway, what colours on the imperial troop torso designs should reflect which European powers. I have recently made a green soldier and he looked amazing. Green being my favourite colour and the most likely candidate colour after red and blue. He just looked so Italian even though Italy was a divided country and not a colonial power at the time so that doesn't really apply. My next thought though was that a lot of Dutch colonial troops used to wear green coats. Could green troops be th are Dutchies? What are all your thoughts?