Norrington

About those troops....

i reacently read phes' theory that both the gaurd and soldiers must both be british. but a problem.

only broadside and de marteniet ccould be british because historicly,ofiicers and sailors wore blue, where as the lue soldiers could only be french because officers in the army and navy may have worn blue, but soldiers in brittain didn't, they wore red, so in essentials, phes' theory is only partially right, so only the certain figs are british.

------edit------

Broadside-British/french

De martinet-british/french

Imperial soldier grunts- French

Admiral woodhouse- no faction, no officer of spefific country wore red, but he could be governer while broadside is say comodore, or vice admiral or someting....but that's only because governers didn't wear military uniforms....

red gaurd officer-british

Imperial gaurd grunts- british

The British marines in the navy also wore blue. Only in the later years of the reforms in navy and army did all grunts wear red including expeditionary forces within the navy. Hence Imperial soldier grunts are British.

i reacently read phes' theory that both the gaurd and soldiers must both be british. but a problem.

only broadside and de marteniet ccould be british...

In which thread did you read this Sir Norrington?

And who are broadside and de marteniet (maybe some characters from POTK?)?

Well, I learned a new word: grunts :-)

Maybe it is better to add this discussion to this thread: Imperial Guards: Bluecoat and redcoat uniforms, who they really are!

only broadside and de marteniet ccould be british because historicly,ofiicers and sailors wore blue, where as the lue soldiers could only be french because officers in the army and navy may have worn blue, but soldiers in brittain didn't, they wore red, so in essentials, phes' theory is only partially right, so only the certain figs are british.

Broadside-British

De martinet-british

Imperial soldier grunts- French

Admiral woodhouse- no faction, no officer of spefific country wore red, but he could be governer while broadside is say comodore, or vice admiral or someting....but that's only because governers didn't wear military uniforms....

red gaurd officer-british

Imperial gaurd grunts- british

What a crazy illogical organisation you army must have Norrington, have you been drinking rum prior to writing this? But I'll ask some questions anyway.

Why would de Martinet be British? "de Martienet" is a French name after all....

Why would Admiral Woodhouse have no faction? In the all sets which include the Admiral Woodhouse mini-figure there are also at 2 Imperial Guard grunts which are British? What would be the point of including a neutral Admiral along side these 2 mini-figure?

Why would The LEGO Company name the mini-"figure Admiral" Woodhouse if he was intended to be a governor, or the other "Governor" Broadside if he was a Commodore or Vice Admiral? It seems that you're making their names redundant.

But I think what makes Norrington's interpretation ridiculous is sets containing blue Imperial Soldiers would contain both English and French factions. Furthermore, the only difference between a blue soldier and commander is the head and hat. So from my perspective this theory is just too inconsistent and confusing to be put in use.

Blue Coats and Red Coats are the same side and country, end of story. (At least for me. I think them both on the same sides.)

well, phes, about the wood house and broadside thing,broadside is wearing a uniform for a british uniform... where as woodhouse is not wearing a uniform from a country i know of... so lego could be mistaken... besides, de martinet dosn't have to be british, im just saying his uniform coul be britsh because he is wearing a blue uniforms if you don't call him by the french name, but he and broadside could be french because they wore blue uniforms for army and officers....

wacko.gif The names are really confsing me now, which is also the help of you guys, but that's because I don't know for sure who is who. If you could please list a picture of the person, and his name. On another note, of what I know of these two guys, or three, wacko.gif , is that isn't there really two guys? Or am I wrong?

In which thread did you read this Sir Norrington?

Yes, which one?

And who are broadside and de marteniet (maybe some characters from POTK?)?

Those are names given to characters in this comic

001.jpg

002.jpg

pi004b.gif Broadside and pi063.gif De Martinet

Well, I learned a new word: grunts :-)

I never read it either before reading this thread either. :-P

wacko.gif The names are really confsing me now, which is also the help of you guys, but that's because I don't know for sure who is who.

Admiral Woodhouse

Imperial_Guard_Admiral.jpg

Governor Broadside

Imperial_Soldier_Governor.jpg

de Martinet

Imperial_Soldier_Officer.jpg

well, phes, about the wood house and broadside thing,broadside is wearing a uniform for a british uniform... where as woodhouse is not wearing a uniform from a country i know of... so lego could be mistaken...

The LEGO Company were never historically accurate and the uniforms could have any interpretation you want to give them.

besides, de martinet dosn't have to be british, im just saying his uniform coul be britsh because he is wearing a blue uniforms if you don't call him by the french name, but he and broadside could be french because they wore blue uniforms for army and officers....

It quite plausible that Broadside, de Martinet and all the blue coat soldiers were French. There has been no formal statement from The LEGO Company to identify their faction/nationality.

about uniforms i think all of them are british...but "De martinet" sound like a french name...

Both imperial guards and imperial soldiers are british...IS are the naval army and IG are simple marines...i read that fact in the old piratebricks.com forum...

about Woodhouse...he doesn't appear in the comic and i don't remember seeing his name in a catalogue...can somebody tell me where appear the name of "Admiral Woodhouse"?

about uniforms i think all of them are british...

I do too, but its purely subjective...

but "De martinet" sound like a french name...

That it does, but Broadside doesn't sound like a French name. However it is possible that de Martinet could be English with French ancestry. Just look at old Jean Luc Picard!

Both imperial guards and imperial soldiers are british...IS are the naval army and IG are simple marines...i read that fact in the old piratebricks.com forum...

Just because it was on piratebricks.com doesn't mean its accurate, although I posted the marine and naval uniforms in that thread on piratebricks.com to support the claim.

about Woodhouse...he doesn't appear in the comic

Admiral Woodhouse wasn't introduced until 1992, the comic was released in 1989...

and i don't remember seeing his name in a catalogue...can somebody tell me where appear the name of "Admiral Woodhouse"?

His name should appear in most 1992 UK and Australian catalogues. I'm looking at the B5 sized 1992 catalogue and his name is definitely in there.

about uniforms i think all of them are british...but "De martinet" sound like a french name...

You can use them how you like. Thats the beauty about these figs!

They can be French line infantry, British line infantry or by changing the color of the epaulettes/legs they can become British naval officers, French light infantry, ....

Just because it was on piratebricks.com doesn't mean its accurate, although I posted the marine and naval uniforms in that thread on piratebricks.com to support the claim.

I think that because the uniforms you posted are similar to IS...and French uniforms are more similar to some custom minifigs

Admiral Woodhouse wasn't introduced until 1992, the comic was released in 1989...

i know, you must know i have a lot of culture about lego pirates...i know all replies of pirate lego test! :-P

His name should appear in most 1992 UK and Australian catalogues. I'm looking at the B5 sized 1992 catalogue and his name is definitely in there.

thanks for the information

You can use them how you like. Thats the beauty about these figs!

They can be French line infantry, British line infantry or by changing the color of the epaulettes/legs they can become British naval officers, French light infantry.

Yes indeed! I prefer the Red grunts tho, as for the blue ones reminds me too much of the french. :-P

I think that because the uniforms you posted are similar to IS...and French uniforms are more similar to some custom minifigs

British

british_navy.jpg

Vs

french1.jpg

As you can see there is a lot more red in the French uniform, however I'm no historian so I cannot account for all the different uniforms used between 1600 and 1800. The uniforms were periodically revised or updated you see.

i think of the blue coats as french mainly for the french type symbols on their flags. you've got to admit, all the flags with the blue-coat sets have that french symbol thingy on them. granted, i have no qualms with mixing up the uniforms to distinguish higher or lower ranks on the british side or may even the french side (if i found out the french indeed have some predominately red uniforms).

You mean this Phred?

Fleur-De-Lis-Print-C10293514.jpeg

Yes, France is known to have used the Fleur De Lis, however some British Monarchs have as well. And to add to the confusion I have seen pictures of some predominately red French uniforms in the past.

And to add to the confusion I have seen pictures of some predominately red French uniforms in the past.

Indeed, the Napoleonic cavalry of the guard had a regiment of "Red Lancers".

LancierRouge.jpg

Lancer.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of this with the red trousers.

Check out Uniform Guide the at NapoleonGuide.com. They're only black and white illustrations but you'll get some idea of the uniforms for various European nations during the Napoleonic war.

You mean this Phred?

Fleur-De-Lis-Print-C10293514.jpeg

Yes, France is known to have used the Fleur De Lis, however some British Monarchs have as well. And to add to the confusion I have seen pictures of some predominately red French uniforms in the past.

Hmm. Interesting, then i guess anybody can do anything they want with the blue coats and red coats and mix them up. I had some qualms with ppl mixing them up, but not any more.

In my little circle of lego land, we'll probably continue to call the blue flag with four "Fleur De Lis"s french

I'm making a little table with some combinations to make historic correct mini-figs.

I still have to expand it with some British naval figs.

Feel free to give your idea's for expanding the table.

matrix.jpg

I like that idea Bonaparte. It is unofficial, but as long as you provide historical backing, than those combinations can be the most historically accurate (without going custom) ways to make Lego figs!

You haven't put much thought into it have you Mr Calvin?

Well yes, true, I haven't thought about it much but I think I have more than the close-minded "French" and "British" camps on this forum.

Firstly, TLC calls these Governors and Admirals (eg G. Broadside, A. de whatever) by different names in different countries like China & Syria (for example) etc . In Syria, neither have a French nor a British name. The same goes with all lego sets. All names are regionalised not just translated, its called marketing.

Secondly, in the 1700s and 1800s many armies wore blue and red coats with a waist belt and these headgear. The French and British didn't trademark these. The French and British didn't only wear these. The lego minfigure's dress is not detailed enough to match any army of the past.