Artifex

Ninjago Pronunciation

I was watching the BrickQueen's Lego Round Table and something got me wondering: The pronunciation of the name "Ninjago".

I always thought it was something like "NIN-jah Go" (like the noun "Ninja" + the verb "(to) go").

Which one is right? English is my second language, so sorry for my asking...

EDIT: link for the BrickQueen's YouTube channel -- http://www.youtube.com/user/BrickQueen?feature=watch and the Round Table video I mentioned --

Edited by Artifex

That's how I thought it was pronounced too, but apparently, it's more commonly pronounced nin-JA-go.

It's technically pronounced nin-JAH-go, and most official media pronounce it that way, but the spinner instructions command you to shout "ninja GO!" at the beginning of a spinner match, and the phrase "ninja GO!" appears frequently in both the show and its theme song "The Weekend Whip".

Overall, since the double meaning (ninja GO! versus ninja+LEGO) is so deliberate you could probably get away with pronouncing it either way (I kind of switch back and forth, depending on what I'm talking about and who I'm talking to), but some videos and blog posts have made it clear that nin-JAH-go is the official pronunciation.

I've always pronounced it nin-jaw-go. I've watched the show a few times and they only say ninja-go when they're about to use spinjitzu. I think saying jah-go too is fine.

The theme is called Nin-jah-go. Their battle cry is Ninja-Go (as well as the "battle cry" for the spinners).

When I have to name the theme, I say Nin-Jah-Go. Because 'Ninja-Go!" sounds cheesy and makes me cringe. =)

The theme is called Nin-jah-go. Their battle cry is Ninja-Go (as well as the "battle cry" for the spinners).

Yeah. The place is also called nin - JA - go.

I have always liked nin-JAH-go,and didn't figure out that it mean"t Ninja-Go until after the sets were released for a while.

In Germany - from what I heard at Legoland - it's apparently nin-YAH-go, i.e. pronounced in a completely German way, which sounds a bit odd to me. Even more odd when combined with the English word in the name of the rotating ride thing they got there: "Flying Ninjago". :hmpf:

I always pronounced it Ninja-Go, but I could have cared less about the theme. I never got into it.

Also, is it just me, or do I never see Lego commercials on TV.

I always pronounced it Ninja-Go, but I could have cared less about the theme. I never got into it.

That's because you're not watching Saturday morning cartoons. Neither am I and I haven't seen a Lego commercial since I was a kid.

Watch Cartoon Network. I watch the new Thundercats and there's always LEGO commercials.