Sign in to follow this  
Bane

Have you ever heard about sourcing?

Hello,

I write here in the name of the Imperium der Steine staff, that one german-speaking LEGO Star Wars forum, and also in the name of our user Sidasa, who took the Palpatine's Arrest photos you'll find all over the internet now, on your front page and on your SW blog (yes, that photo is not from eurobricks, oh wonder).

There is something you (with you, I mean the Eurobricks staff) never understood. This may be the biggest and largest AFOL community worldwide, many LEGO blogs and sites might take their news from here and you surely have a great audience. <- this doesn't automatically give you the copyright of the materials you use on your front page.

We're on the internet here. We love LEGO news and we also love to share photos and information we got with the world. There is no problem with that.

As said, everyone is free to repost and share our photos, as long as you don't omit to give the source. There is NO way and no excuse for not doing this. Sourcing is not only a copyright-thing, it is foremost an act of respect between communities. We love eurobricks and we are thankful for the many informations, interesting topics and the news we get from here. We from Imperium der Steine always give credits to whom its due. It's an unwritten principle in our team.

FBTB, hoth bricks and many other sites gave credits as usual, why not eurobricks? The best known LEGO forum should be an example for other sites. I saw a blog who didn't even know the photo came from Germany and sourced eurobricks (as they source everything eurobricks...)

There are two possibilities. Either you just write where the photos come from on your front page and in that blog article (that's what we want) or you delete the pictures (that's what we don't want). BTW, that's the counterpart to "creative commons by-nc-sa".

That's just fair play. Think about it. Thank you for reading.

Greetings

-Bane

PS: Beyond that, I'm wondering if the "rebel blogger" team looks at their admin control panel only every three days or if my comment (about that) just vanished.

Es wäre mir sehr angenehm, wenn Sie meinen Beitrag lö-schen könnten. Aufgrund von UNannehmlichkeiten wäre es in der Tat nicht lobenswert, wenn dieser Beitrag in seiner Ursprungsform weiterhin offen zur Verfügung stände. DANKE.

Edited by Master-Evil

Hello Bane,

I've edited the frontpage post to credit Sidasa.

If you have a look at our frontpage, you'll notice that we do try to give credit wherever possible. As we're all human, it is possible for us to overlook the source once in a while when trying to let our members know of new set information.

In the future, you can just PM a member of Staff here on Eurobricks. There's no need to get confrontational about it. :classic:

PS: Beyond that, I'm wondering if the "rebel blogger" team looks at their admin control panel only every three days or if my comment (about that) just vanished.

The SW bloggers aren't actual EB staff, so they have no access to the ACP reports, just to clarify that point.

Hello,

I write here in the name of the Imperium der Steine staff, that one german-speaking LEGO Star Wars forum, and also in the name of our user Sidasa, who took the Palpatine's Arrest photos you'll find all over the internet now, on your front page and on your SW blog (yes, that photo is not from eurobricks, oh wonder).

There is something you (with you, I mean the Eurobricks staff) never understood. This may be the biggest and largest AFOL community worldwide, many LEGO blogs and sites might take their news from here and you surely have a great audience. <- this doesn't automatically give you the copyright of the materials you use on your front page.

We're on the internet here. We love LEGO news and we also love to share photos and information we got with the world. There is no problem with that.

As said, everyone is free to repost and share our photos, as long as you don't omit to give the source. There is NO way and no excuse for not doing this. Sourcing is not only a copyright-thing, it is foremost an act of respect between communities. We love eurobricks and we are thankful for the many informations, interesting topics and the news we get from here. We from Imperium der Steine always give credits to whom its due. It's an unwritten principle in our team.

FBTB, hoth bricks and many other sites gave credits as usual, why not eurobricks? The best known LEGO forum should be an example for other sites. I saw a blog who didn't even know the photo came from Germany and sourced eurobricks (as they source everything eurobricks...)

There are two possibilities. Either you just write where the photos come from on your front page and in that blog article (that's what we want) or you delete the pictures (that's what we don't want). BTW, that's the counterpart to "creative commons by-nc-sa".

That's just fair play. Think about it. Thank you for reading.

Greetings

-Bane

Bane, I would suggest watermarking photographs that you have the "copyrights" to. That way, others know immediately who to source and ... well, the pictures source themselves when there's a watermark.

@Ricecracker: No, the thread was just right. "In the future", just think two more seconds before closing, maybe I'd have liked to answer. Closing this kind of topic make us feel as if you don't want to hear any criticism, moreover that action can be interpreted incorrectly. And Erdbeereis told me that's not what the staff wants.

The SW bloggers aren't actual EB staff, so they have no access to the ACP reports, just to clarify that point.

I know that, I meant the ACP of the EBSWblog. :classic:

Bane, I would suggest watermarking photographs that you have the "copyrights" to. That way, others know immediately who to source and ... well, the pictures source themselves when there's a watermark.

We try to watermark our pictures when the team got them at first (what happens rarely, as users got them most of the time). We can't control if users watermark the pictures they upload, but I thought about another way. We will open a thread about watermarking so this kind of unnecessary discussion and confusion over the internet won't have to happen again.

We thank you for your cooperation, and sorry if my post sounded a bit harsh. No offense guys :wink:

Greetings

-Bane

We thank you for your cooperation, and sorry if my post sounded a bit harsh. No offense guys :wink:

Thanks for stopping by here and following up. I believe Ricecracker closed the thread so the conversation could continue in private. As you see now, it's open again as are many topics questioning how we do things here. As far as sounding harsh, thanks for the apology. My best advice for that is to never fly off half-cocked on the internet, especially when you are representing an entire community. :classic: