LiamM32

2013 Train Sets

I have many wishes, as you know we have (usually until The Red Cargo Train broke the pattern) a 2 year break for city (which should be this year) anyway for the cargo set I would love to see a small shunter mostly because we haven't seen one in who knows how long. This would include a few small little freight wagons. The passenger train I would like to see a simple steam train (like the sets we used to get) with one or two passenger cars. That would be great for those.

Now for the lego exclusive train sets they have started up, I would like to see either another nice steam train (because they look so cool :wub: ). I maybe would also like a nice detailed bullet train of some sort.

Another thing I've seen here is that charging station. That would be nice.

I would really love to see a re-introduced metroliner. If the cant re-introduce that model I would like maybe an updated one!

Those are my thoughts, Rail Co :classic:

More American deisel models would be good enough for me. The Maersk set is a favorite of mine but it's still readily available which may mean sales weren't too good. The Emerald Night was huge so they may take another crack at a large steamer. I know some type of Christmas train is coming out late this year but I would really like to see the single train car offerings again. It's been a long time since they have done that. Hopefully they will revisit it again.

I know some type of Christmas train is coming out late this year

How do you know this? More details please.

I would like to see a larger version of the Maersk or Sante Fe theme trains...Like a Ultimate Collector's Series version for trains. Basically, a display set with a plaque to list specs.

Personally I'd like a SP cab-forward :sadnew: or an american interurban streetcar like Pacific Electric, CA&E and similar (motor and trailer) :wink: . Or something british to run with Emerald Night! :sweet:

I think it'd be great if LEGO had another engine set like the Emerald Night; have one engine and a car for it to pull. It'd be especially cool (IMO) if the car was styled and coloured the same as the coach that came with the EN - they could keep releasing engine/coach sets and we'd end up with pretty well diversified rolling stock. If they do a series of matching engines/coaches like that they could still keep their SKU low while still delivering a good train variety with a high quality design. :thumbup:

I would like to see a modern updated version of 7740 which is taken from the 103 build of the Deutsche Bahn.

In the real colour of beige and rust red, with the possibility to purchase different carriages.

DB_Br_103_184_1_Gross.jpg

but besides that we should see a new exclusive train near the beginning of April!

but besides that we should see a new exclusive train near the beginning of April!

Coming from the High Res Hero... that is GRogAll, I would hope this is a nice beast.

Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones would both benefit from train sets, I think. Licensed sets seem to be a big thing for Lego. They could have a train set in the style of the 30s or 50s, with archeological treasure hidden aboard and Nazi or Russian agents out to get it, and it would sell like hot cakes.

A train hijacking or robbery for the Batman theme would be a fantastic opportunity for Lego to sell a more modern style of train, and to do some brilliant and unique rolling stock. Two-Face is taking gold bullion from the train? It needs an armoured car! The Joker is stealing ingredients for Smilex? It needs a hazardous materials car with the Axis logo! Liam Neeson's planning to crash the train into Wayne Towers? It needs to be an incredibly elaborate elevated train set with a cunning way to collapse the track so that the whole thing crashes and sends bricks everywhere!

I mean, I think that with stuff along these lines Lego could have as much fun putting the sets together as any of their customers would in building them. Remember the six billion editions of the Hogwarts Express? Howcome we've not seen this rabid enthusiasm applied to other lines already?

Lego is a rather frustrating brand, all told. They bring out something awesome (Lego trains), and then proceed to ignore the potential it has, or underutilise it. Not to mention underpromotion.

It'd be nice to see Lego do a Back to the Future line at some point, so that they could make the Sierra No. 3 locomotive and the fantastic hovering steam-locomotive-time-machine-RV contraption from the third film. This sort of stuff might actually help them to push the Lego train stuff out to the collective conciousness a little more. I mean, there are still people (AFOLs and kids both) who don't even know that there have been Lego trains, track, etc. produced officially. I do wonder if perhaps there's a guy up near the top of Lego's corporate structure who has a serious boner for hating trains. For whatever reason.

Something that would be cool (but Lego will probably never do) is a set where the train smashes through a wall. POW! Train off the end of the tracks and straight into a giant wall. Bricks everywhere, minifigs screaming in panic, total chaos. Or maybe it runs off the end of a broken trestle bridge. SMASH!

I should probably stop posting things whilst sleep-deprived and full of ill-advised caffiene. What starts off as a normal statement about wanting to see more trains turns into the desire to see Lego release a "DISASTER!" or "APOCALYPSE!" theme...

Lego is a rather frustrating brand, all told. They bring out something awesome (Lego trains), and then proceed to ignore the potential it has, or underutilise it.

Indeed, it is. Current train sets are awesome. But I am missing single locos, single cars, more trackside stuff.

But I just got the new catalog 2012 July-December, and it seems as if 7936 has been dropped.

Instead, 3677 now appears as a regular set.

Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones would both benefit from train sets, I think.

Hear, hear! :thumbup:

Licensed sets seem to be a big thing for Lego. They could have a train set in the style of the 30s or 50s, with archeological treasure hidden aboard and Nazi or Russian agents out to get it, and it would sell like hot cakes.

Not to mention the slew of trains already seen in numerous actual stories. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, in particular, is abundant with them; there were entire stories revolving around adventures dealing with trains.

Of course, even when the LEGO Indy theme was active TLG did sets based only on the four feature films, not the TV show or the expanded adventures. Even so, trains were still seen in the movies, most prominently in the Utah 1912 segment at the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I'd actually hoped that if they were going to finish off the line, they might do it with the Dunn & Duffy Circus Train from that original "Young Indy" segment as one of the big "send-off" sets they occasionally do (a la Imperial Flagship, Medieval Market Village, Diagon Alley, etc.). It could have been a fantastic set - a great train, and new animals to boot.

That will not happen, because TLG has limited number of sets each year and they will those empty spaces for sets with such limited potential user base as lego trains. Why limited? If they make lets say truck, house or ship, anyone could be interested in buying it, but for trainsupplemental sets only those owning the train could be considered. And, even if lego trains are very popular, not so many people own them. Out of twenty or so AFOLs which I know in person maybe four or five owns trains.

Its sad, but thats how world turns today.

That will not happen, because TLG has limited number of sets each year

Well, what does TLG prevent to increase this number ?

and they will those empty spaces for sets with such limited potential user base as lego trains. Why limited? If they make lets say truck, house or ship, anyone could be interested in buying it, but for trainsupplemental sets only those owning the train could be considered.

I don't think so. Today, trains are placed within the "City" range. So, everyone who is interested in the "City" theme, could be interested in buying train stuff.

For me, it's just a chicken-or-egg dilemma: Today, only a very small amount of 3-4 different train sets are available. Same for the last few years.

So, the range is very, very limited. This could prevent potential buyers from buying (not only AFOLs, but parents too), and force them to buy sets from themes that offer a greater range.

Have a look at Ebay and/or Bricklink: single locos and cars from current train sets, are selling at good prices (and people who buy current train sets, and sell the locos/cars as single items, draw good profits...)

Unopened train sets from 2006-2009 (RC trains) sell at prices that nobody dreamed of some years before. You won't be able to buy a MISB 7897 for less than 200 €, and MISB 7898 goes up to 250 € - 300 €. I do not believe that all this sets are bought by MISB set collectors.

Conclusion: buyers have reasonable demand for train sets. TLG doesn't offer a reasonable range of sets, so buyers tend to buy older sets or single items from other sellers.

Edited by Carrera124

That will not happen, because TLG has limited number of sets each year and they will those empty spaces for sets with such limited potential user base as lego trains. Why limited? If they make lets say truck, house or ship, anyone could be interested in buying it, but for trainsupplemental sets only those owning the train could be considered. And, even if lego trains are very popular, not so many people own them. Out of twenty or so AFOLs which I know in person maybe four or five owns trains.

Its sad, but thats how world turns today.

Lego Trains is only a "limited user base" because TLG don't manage it properly. It has the popularity, the durability, and the versatility to make it a fantastic model train brand worldwide. Forget Lionel or Hornby, Lego could corner the model train market and relegate other model trains to "niche" status if they made an effort.

It would make sense to link together the train and docks and road transport with a big loading yard. A dock, rail spur and container depot sold as three separate sets that all link together to form this complex would be a great way to do this, and to make trains the centerpiece of the City theme.

A train station and a bus station that are sold separately but link together to form a large combined mass transit hub would similarly help to focus interest on trains, and if this mass transit hub were designed specifically to link up to the freight complex, people would likely end up buying all five, rather than just the one that specifically appeals to them. People love to collect things. Kids love to collect things. Parents might hate shelling out for kids to collect things, but they end up doing it anyway.

If TLG decided to properly integrate and interweave their trains into the City theme, they might sell a whole lot more of them, increasing their "user base" and ultimately helping to ensure their continued popularity.

Lego trains are the ideal vehicle (no pun intended) for promoting other areas of Lego's product range. There's a place for them in almost any theme that Lego currently produce, and they work both as traditional model trains and as a break-it-then-make-it version for children. Sure, not everybody who likes Lego is a train nut - BUT - they'll get a train if TLG make the trains more of a focus for the rest of a theme, because it's Lego. Not because it's a train.

It would be nice to see TLG try to build a theme around a particular train, rather than just shove a train into a particular theme. I can see this working particularly well with a Wild West/American Revolution type of theme. A town could be built with the railway in mind - the station connects the tracks to the town. The tracks connect the town to the frontier. The trains transport people, troops, ordnance, supplies to the town, etc. With careful planning, TLG could make the train something that's not required for kids in order to have fun, but an element that brings an amazing enhancement to the other sets for both kids and AFOLs.

This won't work for some themes - Castles, Pirates, Star Wars, a train would be out of place there. But in almost any other theme, there's not only a place to PUT a train, but to make a train the potential lynchpin around which all the other sets work. It could even have been done with Harry Potter. There could have been a large, modern station released that was designed to connect and be integrated with a smaller set for Platform 9.75, the Hogwarts Express being sold separately, and Hogsmeade Station being yet another set. This would have helped bridge the City and Harry Potter themes as well - Sets could have been designed to mesh around the two stations. Diagon Alley sets would integrate at the London end of the track, Hogsmeade and Hogwarts sets at the Hogsmeade end.

To go back to the Batman and Indiana Jones examples, Batman trains would tend to lend themselves to potential integration with a goods yard or loading facility. Indiana Jones would need to set off on his journey from a station - the licensed sets could have been designed so as to either look at home in a "normal" Lego city or to look at home sitting at the other end of the train tracks from one.

With the trains, TLG are neglecting a potential golden goose by not making sure that, 1) everyone is aware of the product, and 2) the product appeals to all market shares. If they decided to release trains that helped tie themes together in this way, and designed the new sets so as to gain extra dimension and value when added to a collection incorporating a train, they might open up hitherto unknown revenue streams.

Edited by rday1982

I agree with, but unfortunately "suits" think different. First, regarding limited number of sets: this was put in place ater tlgs huge losses at the beginning of last decade and it still stands firmly today. And I also dont gree about trains in other themes. We got this and it was not succesful (harry potter, toy story, monster fighters). This also answers idea about western train: we got one two years ago and it was ome od worst selling trains ever ( i still see several boxes on shop at 50% off and no ome wants to buy), so I dont think its possible that we will see another train in next years western theme.

I agree with, but unfortunately "suits" think different. First, regarding limited number of sets: this was put in place ater tlgs huge losses at the beginning of last decade and it still stands firmly today.

In those days, this was a good decision. But nowadays, the situation has changed completely.

And I also dont gree about trains in other themes. We got this and it was not succesful (harry potter, toy story, monster fighters). This also answers idea about western train: we got one two years ago and it was ome od worst selling trains ever ( i still see several boxes on shop at 50% off and no ome wants to buy), so I dont think its possible that we will see another train in next years western theme.

I agree with that. But rday1982 also mentioned lots of other examples: e.g. combining train stuff with other City subthemes: harbour, combined bus/train stop etc.

Even the new mining sets (8204 etc.) could be an option.

People love to collect things. Kids love to collect things. Parents might hate shelling out for kids to collect things, but they end up doing it anyway.

If TLG decided to properly integrate and interweave their trains into the City theme, they might sell a whole lot more of them, increasing their "user base" and ultimately helping to ensure their continued popularity.

That's it.

Out of twenty or so AFOLs which I know in person maybe four or five owns trains.

Yup. LEGO Trains has always seemed to be a niche market for me.

If we're targeting the young market, perhaps the main con is the price range? A train set inevitably has to be a big one, complete with tracks and a PF system and some track-side structures -- at least in the USD150 range. Would a parent be willing to shell out that much for a train set for their child? And even just for LEGO in general? A more varied product line offering individual cars and track packs and structures and whatnot could balance out the price range of the theme, but I don't think a typical non-train-focused kid would bother with a 'mix-and-match'/modular system of play.

If we're targeting the young market, perhaps the main con is the price range?

I don't think so. There are lots of sets that have the same price range: license themes, big technic sets, etc.

A train set inevitably has to be a big one, complete with tracks and a PF system and some track-side structures -- at least in the USD150 range.

Not at all. Today, it is nice to have train sets that come with trucks and other trackside structures. But for me, it is not necessary.

Just compared to the old sets from the 80ies - in most cases, these old sets only contained the train and a minimum of trackside stuff, and nothing more.

I would place money on TLG dropping trains entirely after the current sets are out of production.

Broadly, kids of the age that City is aimed at have zero interest in trains. Small children love Thomas, but once children reach school age, trains can be seen as an insanely nerdy and deeply socially unacceptable interest.

AFOLs who like trains appear in two types: (1) focussed on realism, build their own trains (2) people who whine about why TLG is screwing up trains, and why they're not going to buy any.

I would welcome TLG dropping trains, it would catch us a break from the whining AFOLs.

Edited by andythenorth

In those days, this was a good decision. But nowadays, the situation has changed completely.

No the situation hasn't changed. TLG have a finite production capacity, and they therefore look very carefully at the sets they produce, and the range and colours of parts they produce. This reduces their warehousing costs and maximises the profit they can make with existing production. Expansion almost inevitably means overseas factories such as china, which increases the complexity of shipping and packing, so is more likely to be used for self contained lines such as collectable minifigs rather than expanding trains.

They will choose to make the most profitable sets they can. To the target market for Lego, action themes are far more interesting than trains. AFOLs are a very minor market, and not even most AFOLs like trains. Yes there are probably 100,000 of us by now, but the market for LEGO among kids dwarfs that.

Most of the suggestions made here have been tried by LEGO and failed in the past. AFOL train fans don't seem to like to accept fact, instead they seem to think they could run a global company better than those who actually have experience at it. As TLG has grown their products need to be far more mainstream, since with there huge production runs now, any niche such as trains gets more and more tenuous as a business decision.

Edited by peterab

They will choose to make the most profitable sets they can. To the target market for Lego, action themes are far more interesting than trains.

I'll say it again: integration of trains with these themes will build interest and awareness for the train elements of the theme as well as complementing and adding to the theme overall.

Lego have tried to play properly with trains in the past, yes. They have made rather half-hearted efforts, in my opinion. If they made the decision to build their "action" themes around what they can do with their train sets, they might see a different result. I mean, it's been mentioned that the mining theme would be good to have trains with. I agree. A big ol' mining train, beefy and able to be motorised with PF would be perfect for hauling truckloads of rock and ore. It's also a natural focus for the minehead itself. Mines were the first places that people used trains, and many mines have rail spurs leading out to them AND tracks leading down inside, for carts to be loaded with rocks that are then brought to the surface.

Lego have the opportunity with the mining theme to produce a train that's going to excite kids and AFOLs who aren't normally "into trains". Something big, beefy, powerful. A mighty monster of industry. One which will add realism and play value to the theme, as well as helping bridge "mining" with "city" sets. If the mining train is something that can be motorised with PF (like the EN, rather than the current trains that come with a pre-built base unit), it will increase PF sales too. As well as be interesting to more "advanced" Lego users.

In view of your comment regarding "action" themes, I'm also thinking that maybe trains which smash through walls or run off the end of bridges wouldn't be such a bad idea. Think of that famous photo... the one that shows a passenger train dangling out of a station. Let me find it. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

Wouldn't that appeal to kids as an "action" thing? Wouldn't that ALSO be something that AFOLs would want for their layout as either a static piece or something that they can do when they're bored and feeling destructive or perverse? Something like that could also be used as the basis for a bank robbery - smash the bank vault open with a train and grab the cash. Lego Batman would probably be called in to deal with villains of that calibre. HOW IS THAT NOT "ACTION"?

Trains just need to be put into the right context for any market, and they'll become of interest. It's that contextualisation of the train elements that Lego has been failing at, all this time.

Edited by Rick
Please keep embedded images to a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels (per the Site Guidelines)

I would love it if they added train sets to more themes. Not only would every theme get an additional set, but the trains theme as a whole would flourish. The current City range of sets lends itself very well for train tie-ins, but many of them have already been covered by cars in train sets. For example, 3677 and 4645 tie in with the tipper car and the conveyor loader, and 7939 sort of ties in to 4207 and 3180 with the Octan tank car. What would be cool is a tie in to the space subtheme with a flatcar with a big rocket booster on it and some sort of gantry to remove the rocket from the train car. It's a shame that these types of sets classically don't sell as well and are more expensive to make, otherwise we'd have a great range of LEGO train sets.

I'm also thinking that maybe trains which smash through walls or run off the end of bridges wouldn't be such a bad idea. Think of that famous photo... the one that shows a passenger train dangling out of a station. Let me find it. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

Wouldn't that appeal to kids as an "action" thing? Wouldn't that ALSO be something that AFOLs would want for their layout as either a static piece or something that they can do when they're bored and feeling destructive or perverse? Something like that could also be used as the basis for a bank robbery - smash the bank vault open with a train and grab the cash. Lego Batman would probably be called in to deal with villains of that calibre. HOW IS THAT NOT "ACTION"?

I would LOVE something like that. I can see it now- "Lego City- Train Robbers". Perhaps not exactly how it would sound, what with the robbers using the train to 'smash and grab', but still!

As a static piece, perhaps with some historical value(like a set based directly off that picture) might be nice, but I'd rather have something where you can crash the train through the wall, as part of a police chase or something, with a detailed diner on a lower level.. It's an interesting idea, one I'd like to see come to reality.

I still think about Thomas the Tank Engine when I see that crash, specifically the episode when Gordon goes through a station wall in a similar style.. !!

Edited by Rick
Please don't unnecessarily include images in quotes