Loco de Lego

What're your favorite and least favorite Star Wars sets?

Also, this may go down in history as one of the ugliest looking star ships ever sold for $59.99. :laugh: Yeah, right, LEGO. I'd rather have a tank of gas.

Oh? What makes you say that? Maybe this isn't the place to discuss it, but I find that to be quite an attractive model.

After much thought, I think the Separatist Shuttle has to be one of the worst. It's odd, and fairly well useless. As for the original Ewok Attack, at least it had a Stormtrooper and a Scout Trooper to help redeem it slightly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Twilight yet. Never has a $100 set been less appealing. It's about the ugliest ship in the SW universe; it's way underscaled; it has only four minifigs which no one really wants for various reasons; it has absolutely no interesting pieces unless you're desperate for gray plates; and it doesn't have much playability unless you buy a Separatist craft to chase/fight it. Heck, even its name makes me wanna hurl since it reminds me of a certain series of books and movies. At least the SW bucket had lots of interesting/rare/useful parts and some podracers you could race.

Funny; years ago someone got banned from FBTB for opening a subject on 'worst SW LEGO set ever made'; I believe back then it was started off due to the introduction of the Twin-Pod cloud car, which still isn't a beauty...

Albeit there are a few SW sets which these days do not make a deep impression, I think in their defence back in those days it was just that they were the best LEGO could do with the parts and budgets they had at the time. That being said, I think that both the 7127 and the 7657 AT-ST's could absolutely have been made better at the time. In fact, out of all the SW LEGO sets those are the only ones I tweaked to make them better looking...

I have to say, The Twilight is one of th emost unappealing for me. Not only for its price, but as previously mentioned, the scale, and its just a horrid looking ship anyways... a box with a fold out back and one wing.... eugh!

As a strict OT guy, I feel it's only fair that I avoid criticizing prequel and EU sets... So with that being said, I'd have to go with the original Slave I. What a piece of tiny crap, and yet I'm sure it sold well as it was the first outlet to get a Lego Boba Fett. I'm glad they finally got it right-- and they should have after (what feels like) fourteen different incarnations of the thing.

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

I think that 3 sets share the "all time worst" title: 7144 Slave 1, 7151 Sith Interceptor and 7159 Star Wars Bucket. LEGO could make good sets at that time, like the original X-wing, so why are these so bad then? The only excuses for these are that they were produced in the first years of the line, and really few curved pieces existed at that time. The minifigures are one of the few positive points, but except for Boba Fett and the horrible Aldar Beedo, all the figs were available in cheaper sets at the time.

The worst thing about the Twilight was the fact that they didn't include the 13 or so plates it takes to add a floor to the "hold".. instead you can open either of the doors to it to be greeted by either a winch or R2-D2 and some tools. I also found it's build much more time consuming than a regular set, probably due to the fact it's all grey and has a lot of technic beams. I have to say I quite like it though, in it's own way.

The Clone Wars Y-Wing is an excellent set, the way they create the yellow and white stripes around the cockpit with a combination of SNOT techniques is really impressive. The back "turret" is abysmal though, as you'd expect it to either

A) Look Good.

B) Rotate/move

C) Open and close

yet it doesn't manage any of these. I think that aside though, it's still a good set.

It seems a bit unfair picking on some of the early sets, but the tree in the more recent Ewok attack is a bit of a mess and has some pretty bizarre features, like having a flick fire missile and that sliding plank thing. The Logray figure was great though.

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone who said the Star Wars Bucket. I know Lego wasn't nearly as advanced in terms of minifigs and design back then, but those models don't look good at all. :thumbdown: Luckily they gave us some better podracers in 2011. :classic:

Star Wars Bucket hands down as the worst set ever in ant Lego theme.

I think that 3 sets share the "all time worst" title: 7144 Slave 1, 7151 Sith Interceptor and 7159 Star Wars Bucket. LEGO could make good sets at that time, like the original X-wing, so why are these so bad then? The only excuses for these are that they were produced in the first years of the line, and really few curved pieces existed at that time. The minifigures are one of the few positive points, but except for Boba Fett and the horrible Aldar Beedo, all the figs were available in cheaper sets at the time.

Agreed, those three sets were bad even by the standards of that period. Even with the limited resources available at the time, they managed to make most of the early sets look quite decent, except for these three. Someone mentioned the two STAPs with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, but i think that was actually a very nice set back then.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Twilight yet. Never has a $100 set been less appealing. It's about the ugliest ship in the SW universe; it's way underscaled; it has only four minifigs which no one really wants for various reasons; it has absolutely no interesting pieces unless you're desperate for gray plates; and it doesn't have much playability unless you buy a Separatist craft to chase/fight it. Heck, even its name makes me wanna hurl since it reminds me of a certain series of books and movies. At least the SW bucket had lots of interesting/rare/useful parts and some podracers you could race.

As far as the Twilight is concerned, i'm having a bit of a conscience issue here. Let's just say up front that i do completely agree that this is probably one of the least appealing sets ever produced in the Star Wars line!

But consider what the LEGO designers had to work with: LucasFilm/LucasArts designed the ship like an ugly flying box with one wing. Now look at the LEGO set. It looks pretty much like it appears in the movie/series. Yes it's missing some plates in the cargo hold, and yes it has been scaled down. But LEGO scales down models for play sets all the time, so that can hardly be an issue. And the designers did do a valiant attempt of incorporating at least a few basic play features.

Can we really justify calling a LEGO set bad, when it is really the original design of the ship that's so utterly dull and unappealing?

I still haven't recovered from seeing this monstrosity! :sick:

This one however definately deserves a place in the top five of worst Star Wars sets ever. Nothing in this set has the look and feel that makes me think of the real Hoth Echo base.

Edited by DFOL

The Bucket, as mentioned, takes the cake. Second should go to Ultimate Lightsaber Battle. I suppose somebody could find some good pieces in it, but overall that's a terrible set just because of the idea of it and the stupid LuL minifigures.

[...]

My thought exactly. I personally think 4478 Geonosian Fighter is a really bad set too... It might have been a tough job for TLG to create what is a curvy vehicle, but still. I think it looks awful.

I'd say anything 1999-2003 was well below the standard of even an intermediate MOCer - just shameful stuff

The winner would be the mult colour TIE bomber. Was it intentional that not only would the design be crude but the colours would be almost humorously off?!

I agree. I don't see how there was so much hype for such a piece of crap set!

I liked it a lot better when I bought it for $68 this week at TRU...LOL

i find it hard to identify a LSW set that could be the WORST ever, and i totally disagree about the Twin Pod Cloud Car - I remember getting that set from Hamleys in London and ever since then, it's been one of my favourite sets! (parts need replacing because when I was little i was liable to bite things, so some parts of this set got chewed up..) however, forgive me if you think I'm barking mad but i believe that the worst set (or sets) are:

Jedi Defense 1 - 3 minifigures and not much playability for what it cost.... i remember getting it and I got bored playing with it after a while because all obi wan could do was destroy the two droids....

Gungan Patrol - I had this set and nothing could be done with it until I had loads of battle droids, plus the two gungans were more or less Identical

Jabba's Palace (older release) - I didn't have this set but a friend did, and it was the ugliest thing I ever saw...

just my opinions but I'll continue loving my Cloud Car, regardless of your opinions :')

Wow! No hate yet for the more recent abominations? (Often flagged under the TRU Exclusive banner).

How could we miss this one? 7869 Battle for Geonosis

or

8091 Republic Swamp Speeder

And possibly the set with the fewest redeeming features of the modern era

7252 Droid Tri Fighter

I mean not even an attempt at a minifig? Just droids? Bah!

In no particular order:

Gungan Sub (7161)

UCS Naboo Starfighter (10026)

Droid Tri-Fighter (7252)

Assasin Droids Battle Pack (8015)

And (sorry Doc :wink: ) Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (7754)

I like all of the sets to some degree, but I was disapointed with 4501 Mos Eisley Cantina. I would have much rather had a medium size cantina w/o the dewback and landspeeder than a wall and table with the landspeeder and dewback.