Loco de Lego

What're your favorite and least favorite Star Wars sets?

7201 Final Duel II is obviously the worst. Figures may be good but... it has 23 bricks! And I'm including these three minifigs. There's literally nothing to build!

post-138913-0-35958500-1433947164_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doctor Doom

for me is the "Clone troopers vs Sith troopers"

ok, you've got 4 minifigs, but since i have never seen anything about the old republic i can't contestualize them.

Also, i've never seen other "old republic" sets, so with what i'm supposed to use these minifigs?

Last , i hate the speeder bike :D

It is not a bad set just because you don't know the source material. :wink:

As Robianco pointed out, it is a good army builder for those interested in TOR and it was a perfect addition for other TOR sets. As a BP it is therefore one of the best. Even though I was not much of a TOR player I must say the line as a whole was excellent.

The Lego Star Wars 7680 Twilight. I just don't know what went wrong there, it just wasn't designed with enough space, and looked ugly.

Really? I thought it was very unique and well done build. It left a great option to mod the interior, after I did that it's easily one of my favorites. I wish it was a bit longer though. I was pretty disappointed in the original build when the back door opened to a skeleton interior. I've come to really like these builds that lack interior detail though, allows you to mod without deterring from the original TLG look.

I'll have to agree that original Sith Infiltrator was pretty lack luster and the battle packs that are not tied to any cannon are kinda bad.

7680 was a let down. but, empty space DOES have its benefits ;) 75077 is pretty bad imo. the centre droid body is fine but the legs give me tons of grief plus it's so big and awkward when putting on a shelf, it's currently sat on top of my mass storage bin. minifigures were alright though

You mean 75016, not 75077? Just switch the grey frictionless pins to black with friction to fix the legs.

I don't think I can single out one particular set as being the worst, but here are a few of my front runners:

7111 Droid Fighter (1999)

8008 Technic Stormtrooper (2001)

7664 TIE Crawler (2007)

7680 The Twilight (2008)

8015 Assassin Droids Battle Pack (2009)

8985 Freeco Speeder (2010)

7957 Sith Nightspeeder (2011)

75024 HH-87 Starhopper (2013)

75024 HH-87 Starhopper (2013)

What's so bad about it? The minifigs were lackluster (should have been Zagarians!), but what was so bad about the build?

What's so bad about it? The minifigs were lackluster (should have been Zagarians!), but what was so bad about the build?

It just looks ugly in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the Clone Wars, so I'm probably a little biased, but I wouldn't want to own it at any price! :classic:

But that does not make it a bad Lego set, does it? Unless this thread is about what ships, characters etc. we dislike, automatically disliking their Lego sets...

Wouldn't it be more sensible to call a set "bad" if the build does not capture the looks of the original, implements useless playfeatures at the expense of the model's accuracy, or lacks playfeatures, or has a bad minifig selection, and so on. The "worst" would then be a set with a combination of that flaws, rather than just a set based on something we think looks ugly. I mean the Sandcrawler is ugly imo, really ugly, but I don't think the recent Crawler is a bad set. I just don't care for it.

For me its 7879 Hoth Echo Base. Not an exciting choice of minifigures and needs Hoth rebel troopers. Then it doesn't help that the set doesn't really look good.

Yes Corydoras, I had those mixed up! thanks for pointing them out, my bad :) as for

75024 HH-87 Starhopper (2013) (Via Lobot)

the night speeder was just an unnecessary set. it appeared once I do believe. I purchased it for the figures and nothing more and the amount of stickers applied to the small and uninteresting build is mind blowing.

The star hopper however imo was a relatively fun build with relevant minifigures and the Rako hardeen was a nice addition, and I'm very fond of the speeder drop feature. might have a gross colour but design wise I think it's great!

Yes Corydoras, I had those mixed up! thanks for pointing them out, my bad :) as for

the night speeder was just an unnecessary set. it appeared once I do believe. I purchased it for the figures and nothing more and the amount of stickers applied to the small and uninteresting build is mind blowing.

The Sith Nightspeeder had a uninteresting build i believe.The minifigures are good,but the stickers ruined the build.

I would like to add the 6211 Star Destroyer. Ugliest designed Lego Star Destroyer ever, just look at the bridge....

Maybe because of this, they released the 75055, much more beautiful for a play modell.

The original Falcon.

The original Millennium Falcon looks awful by today TLC design standards,but for that day,it's unavoidable,because the parts we seen in both 4504 and 7965 Millennium Falcon today didn't exist at that time yet.7159 Podracer Bucket is far more worst.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

7159 Podracer Bucket is far more worst.

I had forgotten about that :sick:.

sorry guys,

the worst is ..

only droids and a hailer who does not move its wheels!!!!!

7670 is not a bad set,and this set is good for the people who interested in AOTC.

The Hailfire Droid looks good ,and it even look better than 75085.The wheels rolls very good even on rough surface like the carpet.

The Dwarf Spider Droid has a interesting build,and the Spider Droid itself is sturdy and looks very good.

7201 Final Duel II is obviously the worst. Figures may be good but... it has 23 bricks! And I'm including these three minifigs. There's literally nothing to build!

post-138913-0-35958500-1433947164_thumb.jpg

I remember really liking that set as a kid. The minifigs were worth it, it gave me some rare parts. (The arch only appears in like 3 sets http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=30528&idColor=11#T=C&C=11 and the other 2 are in sand purple :sick: ), and I could easily display it. I actually wish they would do more sets like that nowadays.

Any of the biconical figures qualify for the worst, in my opinion. As for brick-build sets in the classical sense, I don't like the look of the new Flashspeeder.

The 7676 Republic Attack Gunship (2008) bugged me because it did not have the "pod guns" on the side. The only reason I got it was because I found it for $35.

And the 4482 AT-TE (2003) "top gun" is just in the wrong place it needs to be further back. (Not a set I have. I do have a different version of the AT-TE.)

Plus 7111 Droid Fighter (1999) looks ugly and I feel they could of done better even back then. And I feel the thing does not want to stay together when build. I guess the only good thing was, it was a cheep and small set.

The Original Slave 1 looked awful even for the standards at the time.

I agree,the original Slave 1 looks very awful even by the standard of that day.The set itself is way too small,way too blocky and the only reasons you will like to get that set is getting the original Boba Fett minifigure.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Umbaran MHC.

C'mon, the thread is about bad sets - not sets you disliked. That set is objectively sound, it's well built and accurate. Whether you like it is another matter.

'Bad' sets are really anything before 2005. I just can't fathom how a professional designer produced the original Falcon, Slave 1, MTT or Sith Infiltrator. These look like children built them and they can't be excused because a certain mould wasn't available (it's lego, be creative...or just make the mould)

The answer is, of course, lego knew they could make money based on the set name alone, they might have even assigned the junior designers - ultimately they didn't care. Lego almost went bust and that forced a change in culture.

My pick for worst set has to the TIE Bomber. It's just inexplicable - even a child would have got the colour right (blue! It's all blue!). It looks exactly like the creations I made at age 6. I would love to sit down with the designer and have them explain to me why I'm 'wrong'.