Loco de Lego

What're your favorite and least favorite Star Wars sets?

As for me there is a bunch of sets that I don't really like. Here is the list and reasons for disliking them:

7151 - Sith Infiltrator Just because it's too cubical and looks ugly even for it's time. Never wanted to buy one

7159 - Star Wars Bucket I don't know what was TLG thinking about when making this set, so it is what it is :hmpf:

7190 - Millennium Falcon Don't know why but i simply don't like it. Maybe for the same reason as 7151

7127 - Imperial AT-ST Looks like chiken even though original model is called so by fans. This can be described as chiken much more. But it was good enough for me when I got it for my 5-th B-day

7657 - AT-ST Re-release of previous set, but looks like it was designed as original 7127 back in 2000 with some improvrments generally made due to release of new parts. Fail :wacko:

10178 - Motorised Walking AT-AT Nice try to make a toy but a step back in design comparing to 4483...

7669 - Anakin's Jedi Starfighter Ugly ship and ugly Anakin. When I first saw THIS I called the ambulance because of heart attack :sick:

8039 - Venator-Class Republic Attack Cruiser As I made some friends in hospital it wasn't a problem to get back there again a year after

8087 - TIE Defender Poor design, no control panel and overall looking like it gonna fall apart any second. Someone borrow me some glue!

Those aren't all the sets I don't like, but are primary ones

Have to add my voice to the chorus that lists The Twilight as the worst set.

Yeah, it's a fair point that lego didn't design the ship- but the very choice to make it a set and make it such a bad one must be placed on them.

The ship is ugly, but a lot of star wars ships are kind of ugly. The lego model is just atrocious, without any real detail or greeble work or redeeming features what so ever.

The price is the biggest sting. I don't see how someone can have such venom for something like the cloud car(which was awesome btw) or the naboo swamp when they were some of the absolute smallest sets out there. I can deal with a small set not being the greatest because IT'S A SMALL SET! If you're asking for 100 bucks for something it better blow my friggin socks off, and the twilight gives me an uneasy and disgusted feeling just looking at it.

I really like the idea of the Twilight - a ship which is in minifigure scale, larger and more complex than a fighter, scaled down to be affordable and swooshable... shame it's a great big box with studs on every side.

I'd never even heard of that podracer bucket, but I can understand its existence - back in '99 Lucasfilm were pushing the marketing hard on the podrace sequence, so there must have been a lot of pressure to render as much of it as possible in Lego.

My vote? Sorry, it has to be any of the 'blue' TIEs. I couldn't shake a feeling of disappointment when I put together my TIE Fighter all those years ago. The sheer number of different colours that made it up made it look like it should be piloted by a clown. And while yes, techniques weren't quite at today's standard back then, I still felt that the attempt at the diagonal spurs on the solar panels was a bit lazy.

Of recent sets I'm going to nominate the Sith Night Speeder. This set is not exactly new but it can still be found on store shelves, unwanted and unloved by most.

Of recent sets I'm going to nominate the Sith Night Speeder. This set is not exactly new but it can still be found on store shelves, unwanted and unloved by most.

I have to disagree with you on this, although I can see your point. While it looks just horrible, it was a good way to get figures from a later series of the clone wars, and the slopes used to build it come in very handy at times.

Thanks for your comments guys! Keep em coming!

I have to disagree with you on this, although I can see your point. While it looks just horrible, it was a good way to get figures from a later series of the clone wars, and the slopes used to build it come in very handy at times.

Thanks for your comments guys! Keep em coming!

That doesn't make it a good model, that just makes it a good spare-parts-pack. :laugh: But on a more serious note, i do kinda agree with both of you. As a set it has very little appeal, i only picked this up at a discount to get the Savage Opress minifig. The model itself is rather ugly, but after taking it apart i did find some good use for most of the parts, so it isn't a total loss.

That doesn't make it a good model, that just makes it a good spare-parts-pack. :laugh: But on a more serious note, i do kinda agree with both of you. As a set it has very little appeal, i only picked this up at a discount to get the Savage Opress minifig. The model itself is rather ugly, but after taking it apart i did find some good use for most of the parts, so it isn't a total loss.

Funny I was considering buying it for the parts... But it's really an ugly set

As for real sets, off the top of my head I'm going to say that first Ewok set way back when. Mostly because of those unfinished prototype looking teddy bears.

Huh. I always liked that set quite a bit; I actually wound up getting six copies - it's an excellent army builder for both sides. I mostly actually appreciate the fact that the Ewok characters are so plain; it lets me use them as "generic" Ewoks, adding variety by mixing and matching torsos and legs for differently-colored Ewoks, while using them together with the more distinctive ones from the two later Ewok sets (which represent specific, named characters like Logray, Chief Chirpa, etc.).

Different strokes for different folks, and all that, I guess.

As for my own pick for worst set? It's hard to say - for me, with LEGO renditions, I find I often prefer some slight deviations in color, since with LEGO models of Star Wars objects, strict accuracy to the source material actually often results in rather drab, boring-looking models - the weathering and slight variations in all those grays that look good on the "real" ships and whatnot get lost in the LEGO versions, and yield what often seem like just big ugly blocks of gray (for example). I'll have to think about this...

I vote the Sith Night Speeder Dark Maul Sith Infiltrator. Never found how Lego managed to create such a thing. But I just discovered the Star Wars Bucket and I must admit that it's a shame :tongue:

I could also mention the Mini Modulars (interest ?), the Clone Wars "Hyena Droid Bomber", and the Ninjago's boat "Destiny's Bounty" (I meditated a lot about that boat).

Edited by Larrynautik

I think the award goes to 7915 Imperial V-Wing Starfighter. :sick: Thats what I feel when i think about that set. It is very poorly designed and I don't even know how you are supposed to drive the thing without any controls! :wacko: And what is with the wooden like seats? I just don't get it.

Edited by Wall E2624

Hey guys, I was just wanting to start a thread (and maybe a Poll later) on this topic:

Which official Lego Starfighter is your favourite one, and why? (eg 6207 A-Wing, 9493 X-Wing, etc)

as far as limitations go, I am only including Starfighters. So no capital class ships (though I think that one will be my next post :P).

I would have to say that the 7259 ARC-170 is so far my favourite, with my recently acquired 7180 B-Wing coming in second.

I'll merge this with the existing discussion of favorite Star Wars sets. As with the favorite minifig topic, even though this topic only concerns starfighters, we don't need a bunch of separate, more specific topics all for discussion of favorite sets, and there will probably be more discussion instead of listing with a more general topic. You can, of course, continue to ask and answer the question of "What is your favorite starfighter?" in this new topic. :classic:

...and merged.

My favourite and biggest Lego set I've ever got is the UCS Imperial Shuttle. Such an impressive piece of work, and an amazing building experience. My top list also includes the 7676 LAAT, 10195 Dropship, the 10178 walking AT-AT, 8017 Vader's TIE, 8038 Battle of Endor, Clone Turbo Tank, Republic Attack Shuttle, Palpatine's Shuttle... Most of these for the build itself, and then for the aesthetics and the minifigs.

Interesting topic. Let me think.... I would say the newest version of General Grevious Starfighter. Lego in my opinion out did themselves with the main Grevious minifig. The ship has great features and It looks accurate. [That is hard for lego]

I'm a new SW collector/fan. I only began getting LEGO SW this year with this winter wave thanks to May the Fourth promotion. So I really only have what is available now, but out of the sets I currently own, I really like the 2012 TIE Fighter. It is very swooshable. But out of the other sets that I don't currently own, I may have to say one of the AT-ATs would do nicely. Something about a giant mechanical camel that is appealing.

My fav set is my Ucs Super star destroyer.The detail is amazing.I also have the Ucs imperial shuttle which is also very cool because it's to scale.

Maaaann.... thinking back on all the sets over the years, I'd have to say my favorites have been the 4504 Millenium Falcon, the 6210 Jabba's Sail Barge, and 10123 Cloud City. Of them all I'm sure I've build the 4504 the most-- something magical about putting something so iconic from your childhood into Lego form.

Don't mind me, just ressurecting an old topic....

Looking ahead to 2013, the prize may go the the TIE Fighter with Asteroid Planet Set. I mean, printed asteroid field? And a figure already seen in a planet set? No. Bad Lego!

I don't really have a "worst set ever", but I agree that the first 2 years weren't the best for LSW. Altough there are some beauties (7171 and 7191).

With the rise of LSW the Clone Wars in 2007, LSW is sometimes more Playmobil than Lego. It has become worse with the old Republic I think.

LSW isn't the same anymore, after the golden years of 2003-2005. USC stays nice but the regular collection is to my opinion ugly.

Curious thread.

You do not have anything more interesting to do with your time than discussing about what is the crappiest set ever ?

Edited by Anio

I actually think the Hoth Base set or whatever it's called looks pretty cool. I haven't gotten it since I'm more of a Prequel Trilogy fan, but I don't see all the complaining about it is for.

Also, Sith Nightspeeder had Savage Oppress, who more than made up for the vehicle :)

And if anyone spits on Palpy's arrest I'm going to get po'd! It's one of my favorite scenes in any movie, not just Star Wars.

I'd have to agree with the Bucket being the worst though - it's a bunch of crap thrown in a lego box.