Lego Otaku

[rant] LEGO sets missing minifigs

Is there a difference in boxes between territories? Apart from Architecture, all the sets I've bought locally in Australia have had the ends glued shut.

But recent imports (Black Pearl from UK, Joker's Funhouse from USA) have both had the taped/stickered shut ends.

I toss out/recycle my boxes anyway, so much prefer the 'peace of mind' of the glued ends.

It may depend on what the set is. I've noticed in the US that most of the smaller sets, particularly the battle pack type sets, still use the glued ends with thumb punch outs. It's just the mid sized and larger sets that use the tape seals.

I have had this happen some months ago.. and since then I now "weigh" several boxes of the same set against each other, and go for the heaviest feeling box.

What if they replace the Lego with rock?

I like the suggestion to use much stronger tape or maybe use something like the plastic used on carded action figures(you know, the type you have to peel off the card to get at the figure). Use small strips of that plastic, bend them into the shape of the tape and glue them down. For one, it'd be harder, if impossible, to peel it off and then reseal the package. Second, this method would be hard for the thieves to replicate. The cost of this method would be made up by Lego not having to replace all those minifigs that have been stolen.

I like the suggestion to use much stronger tape or maybe use something like the plastic used on carded action figures(you know, the type you have to peel off the card to get at the figure). Use small strips of that plastic, bend them into the shape of the tape and glue them down. For one, it'd be harder, if impossible, to peel it off and then reseal the package. Second, this method would be hard for the thieves to replicate. The cost of this method would be made up by Lego not having to replace all those minifigs that have been stolen.

The question is, how rampant is this issue, really? I've never encountered a boxed set which had been opened, ransacked, and resealed. Perhaps the cost to LEGO to replace those figs is less than the cost to use a less-replicable sealing method on every packaged set.

The question is, how rampant is this issue, really? I've never encountered a boxed set which had been opened, ransacked, and resealed. Perhaps the cost to LEGO to replace those figs is less than the cost to use a less-replicable sealing method on every packaged set.

The issue is fairly common in buying from major retailers, as several posters here have attested. I would think that AFOLs are far more aware of this problem and would be more likely to pass on a compromised box than a parent or grandparent. The damage to Lego as a brand is probably quite significant when a kid opens a set thats missing the minifigures on christmas morning, even if they get great customer service after the fact.

The cost of changing the seals would be very insignificant, it might not even be a difference if all they need to do is change the type of glue to one that fuses to the box and cannot be removed without damaging the print on the box.

It saddens me that some people feel that collectors have 'brought this on themselves'. It shouldn't matter what people value most in a community (whether it's figs, or bricks, or instructions, or whatever) - the problem is with the dishonest thieves who are out for a quick profit; not your average punter who's spending a fortune on their hobby.

Wow. To tell you the truth, I feel impressed that this happens in economically developed countries. I'm usually ashamed of dishonesty in my country, because people here are often more dishonest than people in the US, for instance. I wasn't aware that this kind of things happened there too. :wacko:

ive had this happen to me before and i was not happy at all. neither was my son :angry:

i cant stand people who do this kind of thing and ruin it for others :thumbdown:

This kind of thing happens quite a bit in toy collecting in general. Although, I will say that it's usually the work of 1 or 2 people in a particular area. So, you either have a lot of it going on in a particular area or no incidences at all. Using a tamper-proof seal will at the very least warn the next person that the box was opened. I'm sure that even with the seal broken there are stores that will still take back the item. I've seen blatantly obvious ridiculously repacked toys sitting in the toy aisle.

On a similar note, I've come across in stores numerous empty packages of CMFs and even 1 or 2 boxes that were simply ripped open in the store.

Edited by sharky

To the OP, of the sets you mentioned that had missing figs, were they all from one store, or a number of them? Just curious. I've been fortunate to not have any issues with set tampering. Lets just be thankful that TLG is so great about replacements.

It saddens me that some people feel that collectors have 'brought this on themselves'. It shouldn't matter what people value most in a community (whether it's figs, or bricks, or instructions, or whatever) - the problem is with the dishonest thieves who are out for a quick profit; not your average punter who's spending a fortune on their hobby.

Bravo!

The only comments I made regarding bringing this on ourselves was in regard to our preferences that Lego switch to a non destructive method of sealing the boxes so that they could be better preserved or folded flat. It was our requests that prompted the shifts from he old thumb tabs. Which did the core job of preserving the integrity of the merchandise. This is more of a " be careful of unintended consequences of the things you wish for" sort of thing, and less a " we asked for it".

There's another anti-tamper idea: shrinkwrap with LEGO logo printed on the wrap itself. Even if the crook has access to shrink wrapping machine, it'd be more than worth the cost and effort to replicate fake LEGO printed plastic sheet for re-shrinking pilfered sets.

To the OP, of the sets you mentioned that had missing figs, were they all from one store, or a number of them? Just curious. I've been fortunate to not have any issues with set tampering. Lets just be thankful that TLG is so great about replacements.

2 stores just a few miles apart, probably the one same thief or team of thieves. I did notice unusual number of eBay auction selling only new minifig from just one seller in the same city as those pilfered boxes, I just printed them out when I took the set back and spoke with the loss prevention staff. I'll let them figure out what to do with eBay seller. Maybe they'd watch closely, and try to match the timing of newly listed minifig with returned LEGO boxes that showed sign of tampering to get a face of the thief or thieves.

I have had a one or two missing prts in a Technic sert, but nothing too extereme as this! :oh3:*oh2*

This makes me VERY angry because :damn: l of the careful measures TLG goes into making this not happen.

They individually weigh each kit to see that the weights are in close measure

They split the minifigures up into baggies They put annoying (but in this case useful) seal tape on their boxes

In my opinion, whoever is doing this is very inconsiderate and rude to all of the consumers and AFOLS of the Lego product. :cry3:

Whoever that theif is, he would NOT like to meet me... :devil_laugh:

And he better be careful...because we as a team of AFOLS, are gunna find you!

(SKIP TO 1:35 OF THIS VIDEO)

Edited by 88high

Never happened to me so far ( I don't shop in retail much), but I hope there's a special place in hell for minifig thieves... :angry:

Pisses me off almost as much as bike thieves.

Way to ruin the hobby! :angry:

Edited by SheepEater

Never happened to me so far ( I don't shop in retail much), but I hope there's a special place in hell for minifig thieves... :angry:

Maybe having to rewatch the children that they have deprived of minifigures open the sets to find the minifigs missing from their sets and bursting out in tears for all eternity.

Happened to me the other day in the orc forge... (I know this was stolen parts, but mine was from the factory)

)

Was missing one wooden tile 1x4 with the printed wood and a 1x3 brown brick... very weird and i've never had that happen to me before.

Also i thought i was missing the rohan spear in the Uruk-Hai set and filed a complaint but about 10 minutes later i found it lodged between the houses feet snug against the body... talk about weird places it blended right in.

I did call lego and cancel the missing part.

There already is a special hell for those who steals minifig and returns the set as new and "sealed". They get to spend the next 10,000 years opening LEGO sets and finding only Megablocks part (well chewed, covered on candy goo, etc) and the only way out of that is to get forgiveness from every single children the thief ruined.

Surely the store would give you a complete set?! Although telling the police might just waste time as they can hardly send out a riot squad for some lost minifigures! If you think about it, TLG produce millions of the minifigure and so it's impossible to blame somebody for nicking 9 individual minifigures. If the police were aloud to do something, I hope they would but i'm sure they have bigger problems. This is just my opinion.

This has happened to me before, but it wasn't just the minifigures, it was the entire set. Some low life replaced the set with a bunch of small toys and mega bloks. Its sad that some people are that dishonest.

Surely the store would give you a complete set?! Although telling the police might just waste time as they can hardly send out a riot squad for some lost minifigures! If you think about it, TLG produce millions of the minifigure and so it's impossible to blame somebody for nicking 9 individual minifigures. If the police were aloud to do something, I hope they would but i'm sure they have bigger problems. This is just my opinion.

You could probably say the same for people who speeds on the road and doesn't cause accident or injuries, why chase them and possibly arrest the driver when there are murderers and drug dealers to search for.

Shoplifting and other form of theft from stores are multi-billion dollars a year loss for USA retail stores. Not to mention damaging store's reputation when they unwittingly sell multiple sets that have been carefully opened, pilfered, reclosed to look sealed, and returned.

Stores will go after anyone that are caught stealing in any form, yes even over a $1 candy bar, and then turn over to the police if it's a large value item. In Michigan, the store are allowed to charge the accused a penalty of 10x the value of the item (maximum $200) and can impose additional penalty if the person does not pay in certain time frame. This is in addition to criminal fine and/or jail time.

It may seems excessive to someone who steals a candy bar and gets caught but the penalty is geared toward those who stole repeatedly and/or steals high value items.

SO yeah the police do have a good reason. The fines they collect from court pays for them.

This happened to me just the other day. My four year old daughter and I were about to build our T-6 Jedi Shuttle, when I opened the box and was horrified to see we were missing the entire bag #1 of parts! Of course I called TLG immediately and complained. I also took the opprotunity to tell them about missing a tiny plate in my Imperial V-Wing.( I recieved an extra right wedge and was shorted a left one.) Now, the service rep was very nice and professional, and explained the whole resealing and returning hustle. I then asked about putting better seals on the packages and she mentioned the company was going the 'splitting up the minifigures' route. I am not convinced that this is really an ideal soloution, as some lowlife can just refill the box with whatever he wants and just return it. Maybe the retailers should require showing an ID when making returns, so at least then they can track frequent returns of similar items (LEGO). That might be an effective deterrent.

We did end up building the Republic Frigate that day and put the Jedi Shuttle back in the closet with our LEGO reserve. We will build it together in a week or so when the parts get here.

I would never steal the minifigs but it's easy what a little bit of steam can do, it will lift a seal right off without a trace and allow it to be put straight back on afterwards.

I would never steal the minifigs but it's easy what a little bit of steam can do, it will lift a seal right off without a trace and allow it to be put straight back on afterwards.