Sign in to follow this  
BasOne

Technique: Pipes and Drums

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi all,

With the new CMF S7 Bagpiper i wanted to combine it with the CMF S5 Royal guard and make a pipes and drums marching band / scottisch regiment on parade...

The meager beginnings are there... :tongue:

pipesdrums.png

My army of Space Marines watching in the background

But i can't for the life of me figure out how to make drums, the big ones, the small ones, the middle ones, the double ones.....

If anyone has a bright idea, please, please let me know :laugh:

To get you in the mood

:sweet:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

A larger drum could be made from a 2x2 round brick with a 2x2 round tile on top, and perhaps a 2x2 round plate with rounded bottom on the underside. Alternatively, use two 2x2 round plates and two 2x2 round tiles connected bottom to bottom - you'd need to cut a small length of flex-tube to do this. Attaching them to the figs would need string, or elastic bands. You could use the Hula Girl's maracas for the strikers.

For the smaller side-mounted snare drums, the best solution I can think of off-hand is to use a 1x1 bucket (I think you can fit a 1x1 round plate in the top, but I haven't tried) with its handle hooked over the hilt of a sword worn in a scabbard. I imagine it would be a bit flimsy but worth a try!

Let us know how you get on.

Edit: I tried the sword thingy and the sword hilt is too big. But it does work with a lever handle fed through the scabbard.

A larger drum could be made from a 2x2 round brick with a 2x2 round tile on top, and perhaps a 2x2 round plate with rounded bottom on the underside. Alternatively, use two 2x2 round plates and two 2x2 round tiles connected bottom to bottom - you'd need to cut a small length of flex-tube to do this. Attaching them to the figs would need string, or elastic bands. You could use the Hula Girl's maracas for the strikers.

For the smaller side-mounted snare drums, the best solution I can think of off-hand is to use a 1x1 bucket (I think you can fit a 1x1 round plate in the top, but I haven't tried) with its handle hooked over the hilt of a sword worn in a scabbard. I imagine it would be a bit flimsy but worth a try!

Edit: I tried the sword thingy and the sword hilt is too big. But it does work with a lever handle fed through the scabbard.

So stupid of me.

I've been so focused on doing everything with standard lego bricks i didn't think of rubber bands and the like.

What do you think of this, a thin strip op plastic (or paper) square with rounded corners, with 4 stud sized holes.

Just like the CMF kilt and dresses, single big drum 2x2 round plate and flat plate, dual drum 2x2 round flat plate and 2x2 with rounded bottom.

aussies.png

1ste Australian pipes and drums band

Still need to think of how to make this type of drum,

big%20drum.jpg

I will, i will :classic:

This is basicly what i want to build:

parade.png

I'ts going to be extended with a crowd on the sidewalk.

Still ordering the pieces and trying out some other ways to make the 'street'.

Edited by BasOne

I built a crude version of the big drum. It's not as round as I would like, but I think that it's clear of what it is:

7278761992_4af08878bd_z.jpg

I used one of those bricks with studs on all sides save one, two 1x2 plates with middle stud. The two circles are connected to two of the studs on the bricks, a 2x1 tile is on the front, and a 1x1 tile goes on the top and bottom.

JackJonespaw, that is a great way of doing that drum. Thanks for the idea.

BasOne, incidentally I was also thinking of ways to do a drum a few days ago. Thanks for starting this thread!

A marching band drummer with a big drum on his belly would actually make a pretty awesome CMF. It wouldn't really be hard for LEGO to do either since they'd just have to make a piece that hangs around the neck (not unlike what JackJonespaw made above, but as a solid piece).

The only issue with it is that it most likely wouldn't be able to stand up without being put on some studs.

I don't know if this helps in any way but Brickforge actually make Drumsticks-

4929042551_0d051fec68_o.jpg

http://www.brickforge.com/store/home.php?cat=410

I think they look much better than the Lego screwdrivers in the LDD pic :wink:

I might order some of those :laugh:

I built a crude version of the big drum. It's not as round as I would like, but I think that it's clear of what it is:

7278761992_4af08878bd_z.jpg

I used one of those bricks with studs on all sides save one, two 1x2 plates with middle stud. The two circles are connected to two of the studs on the bricks, a 2x1 tile is on the front, and a 1x1 tile goes on the top and bottom.

That's basicly what i came up with, but i don't like it, i want it rounder :tongue:

I also came up with this.

drum.png

But it's a bit too big

Or this :laugh:

LDDScreenShot41-1.png

I just love this...

Edited by BasOne

A picture of my regimental band:

4320569979_a2871a4a1a.jpg

I really should get some detail pics but I think you can see I used string woven into the drums. The side drums are easy but the bass drum was done using a 2-long technic pin to reverse the stud directions so both sides are flat.

Here's my stab at it:

marching-drummer1.jpg

Exploded view of the drum:

marching-drummer2.jpg

I love the above way, which is also well suited for colour matching. It has my vote!

Here's my stab at it:

Exploded view of the drum:

I like it :thumbup:

Edited by BasOne

Wow... i love that the community helped figure this one out... awesome! Multiple people took a stab at different ways to build something and i learned alot from all the multiple different ways

Anyone got any ideas on how to build drums for a marching band?

I have 5 CMF bagpipers and I want to build a matching band with 2 pipers, 2 drummers and a leader (or maybe 3 pipes and 2 drums). Anyone got any ideas on how to build the drums?

Adding to this post, I came up with a new way to do a smaller sized upright-held drum.

Take one of the new-for-2015 2 x 2 round brick with pinholes on the side (http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=17485#T=C on bricklink) and put a 2 x 2 round plate on the top.

Then stick the stud ends of a piece of string with studs on the end into the pin holes. Then wrap the string around the neck of the minifig and use the head to hold the string in place.

Doesn't look too bad when combined with a pair of Brickforge drumsticks.

And the size of the 2 x 2 round brick looks ok because many pipe band drummers of this sort have drums that are quite tall relative to the diameter of the drum. (i.e. the proportions of the diameter vs height of the LEGO design match the real thing)