dede_la_fee

[MOD] Cafe corner revisited

indexed.gif B-OM-20A

I had recreated a Cafe Corner close to the original one last winter, thanks to a few orders to Bricklink, but I wasn't happy with the interior, so I spruced it up and added a 16x32 baseplate upon which I built a true hotel lobby, but I tried to keep it true to the rest of the CC.

I also printed stickers and cut out an apron for my waitress in a useless Harry Potter cape.

All of it can be seen there; but I'm posting a few pictures here as well to give you a sample of what it looks like:

7274515182_7166ab1992.jpg

7274516918_e7b90d33d6.jpg

7274519814_8aafc12ef4.jpg

7274517968_181d1d6ce3.jpg

Purists might grimace at all the liberties I took, But I hope others will like it.

Edited by Phred

Pretty good CC version. This building really deserves that extra 16x32, and it looks very good that way.

I looked through a few of the photos. You did a great job, really. The additional 16x32 is a nice touch, both inside and out. The interior bits look great, I like the hobby a lot. The outside entrance you put with the red awning and your take on the seating arrangement is good. I like the original red roof better than your grey. I get the switch and the grey is appealing.

I looked through a few of the photos. You did a great job, really. The additional 16x32 is a nice touch, both inside and out. The interior bits look great, I like the hobby a lot. The outside entrance you put with the red awning and your take on the seating arrangement is good. I like the original red roof better than your grey. I get the switch and the grey is appealing.

I actually decided on the dark grey roof tiles because the dark red would have clashed with the bright red awning, and black tiles are already on quite a lot of my modular buildings.

Edited by dede_la_fee

Looks great. I love all the little details you put into every room of the build. Great idea to add an extra 16x32, it really gave you the room you needed to make it feel like a hotel.

My only suggestion is to put more photos in your first post :grin: At least one overview of each level.

Wonderfully detailed modified Cafe Corner 'dede_la_fee' and there's nothing wrong with customising minifigs....I do the same. :wink:

I like the tiled floor, a classic art deco pattern. :thumbup:

Excellent job designing the interior and Brick On 'dede_la_fee' ! :classic:

Is there any way you could post a close-up of the apron you made for the waitress?

Click on dede's link to get to the flickr set-- there's a picture there.

Nice work! I've been adding an interior to my CC as well, but the extension works well here. I think the dark bley roof works well.

Edited by slovakiasteph

DeDe,

You are so correct that the ground floor room is too small to do much; I ended up buying two CC's and combining them so there would be room for a larger restaurant, etc.

These are gorgeous buildings, and all of the modulars are wonderful in my book. Congratulations on a fine build!

I prefer the original colours, with the white/yellow awnings and the dark red roof, but if you change the yellow to red it's a logical choice to change the roof as well. Apart from that personal choice on the colours I think you've done a pretty darn good job with this. Adding another 16x32 is a very good idea, and it's amazing to see how much more room you get inside from doing that. The bar and the reception area are my favourite parts of this, but some of your custom stickers are pretty neat too, especially the H with the stars just outside the hotel door. I think I'd maybe have tried not to cram so many rooms into the upper floors, as they end up quite cramped - but still: Great job!

Great bigger version of Cafe Corner and great interior! I'm wondering why TLC decided to put nothing in there. The rooms look cozy and inviting.

It's a wonderful MOD of the CC, dede la fee. I work in a hotel, so I always like to see how people make the details in Lego. And you have really nice details here. Though I must admit that I wonder how people should get to the second bed in the twin room on the second floor. Climb over the first bed? :wink:

"Ole Kirk's Café" :thumbup:

I like the bar-counter you made, I´we been puzzling with something similar (not CC) but I never managed a good solution that did not take to much space.

I like it a lot. I think there is too much dark-bley on top. Maybe make the bits on the flat roof, and the curved slopes above the dormer windows black.

Pretty good CC version. This building really deserves that extra 16x32, and it looks very good that way.

Looks great. I love all the little details you put into every room of the build. Great idea to add an extra 16x32, it really gave you the room you needed to make it feel like a hotel.

My only suggestion is to put more photos in your first post :grin: At least one overview of each level.

Wonderfully detailed modified Cafe Corner 'dede_la_fee' and there's nothing wrong with customising minifigs....I do the same. :wink:

I like the tiled floor, a classic art deco pattern. :thumbup:

Excellent job designing the interior and Brick On 'dede_la_fee' ! :classic:

Nice work! I've been adding an interior to my CC as well, but the extension works well here. I think the dark bley roof works well.

I prefer the original colours, with the white/yellow awnings and the dark red roof, but if you change the yellow to red it's a logical choice to change the roof as well. Apart from that personal choice on the colours I think you've done a pretty darn good job with this. Adding another 16x32 is a very good idea, and it's amazing to see how much more room you get inside from doing that. The bar and the reception area are my favourite parts of this, but some of your custom stickers are pretty neat too, especially the H with the stars just outside the hotel door. I think I'd maybe have tried not to cram so many rooms into the upper floors, as they end up quite cramped - but still: Great job!

Coming from AFOLs so talented, it's very flattering! :blush:

DeDe,

You are so correct that the ground floor room is too small to do much; I ended up buying two CC's and combining them so there would be room for a larger restaurant, etc.

These are gorgeous buildings, and all of the modulars are wonderful in my book. Congratulations on a fine build!

Great bigger version of Cafe Corner and great interior! I'm wondering why TLC decided to put nothing in there. The rooms look cozy and inviting.

I assume they wanted to let the builders use their imagination...

It's a wonderful MOD of the CC, dede la fee. I work in a hotel, so I always like to see how people make the details in Lego. And you have really nice details here. Though I must admit that I wonder how people should get to the second bed in the twin room on the second floor. Climb over the first bed? :wink:

"Ole Kirk's Café" :thumbup:

I actually named my Lego town "Christiansenburg" :wink:, As soon as my man and I are moving to a larger place, big enough so we can dedicate an entire room to our Lego town and trains, I'll also put numbers to the buildings and names to the streets.

We do have a dream: make a section on my website where we can show the "history" of the town, the minifigs building the town from scratch, starting with a small farm, then progressing towards a whole village, then a thriving town, with some of the older building falling into disrepair.... Listen to me, dreaming out loud, we're far from that right now!

I like the bar-counter you made, I´we been puzzling with something similar (not CC) but I never managed a good solution that did not take to much space.

I hope mine inspires you to make your own now.

I like it a lot. I think there is too much dark-bley on top. Maybe make the bits on the flat roof, and the curved slopes above the dormer windows black.

For the roof color, I tried black, but to me it looks sooooooooooooo much better in dark grey, and I'm planning other buildings with dark grey roof, so the MOD CC will blend in just right...

Thank you for your contribution, every one!

I actually named my Lego town "Christiansenburg" :wink:, As soon as my man and I are moving to a larger place, big enough so we can dedicate an entire room to our Lego town and trains, I'll also put numbers to the buildings and names to the streets.

We do have a dream: make a section on my website where we can show the "history" of the town, the minifigs building the town from scratch, starting with a small farm, then progressing towards a whole village, then a thriving town, with some of the older building falling into disrepair.... Listen to me, dreaming out loud, we're far from that right now!

Hehehe... "Christiansenburg". What a great tribute to the Lego-family.

I think it sounds really interesting, the project you and your husband have got. I really would like to follow that. I hope you can find a bigger place so soon :wink:

What a lovely extension of CC Dede. The interior looks very nice. The grey roof doesn't look out of place. Great effort and very creative

I have only recently been getting back into Lego's and Cafe Corner is my first build that I went after. Now that I have seen yours I wish I had seen it before finishing mine up as I think this is the best MOC I have seen yet of the CC. I think I would have put less rooms in the hotel so you could have a bathroom on the second floor and not have some be so cramped but that was my only minor issue if it really even is one. I absolutely love the Cafe and the Hotel Entrance. During the build I thought that the Hotel felt more like an afterthought once they finished the Hotel sign. Where you really knocked it out of the park on the build though are the intricate small's where the devil is in the details i.e. the bar taps color running all the way down the counter and my personal fave was the key holder. Keep up the great building, it inspires me and I'm sure it does many others.

Very nice... Inside and out! I really like the grey roof tiles and the red and white awnings. To me it still looks very much like the CC (which is a good thing).

Happy New Year!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D