Ssorg

MOC: Douglas DC-3

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Greetings! Here's my fourth (and for now the last, I promise! :laugh:) MOC posting today.

Nothing less but a Douglas DC-3 airplane in minifig scale!

Most notable functions are:

- The top can be removed to access interior.

- The landing gears are retractable!

7253902676_c334814389_c.jpg

7253912826_23ee9e9e62_c.jpg

7253942240_0fb46a0e83_c.jpg

7254026582_138a4fc0bb_c.jpg

7254001806_ba44974f31_c.jpg

UPDATE: here's pic demonstrating the size of the model:

7254011332_3480cb7b1e_c.jpg

Approximate dimensions:

Length: 56 cm or 22 inches

Width (wingspan): 82 cm or 32 inches

Click this to watch a video demonstrating the landing gears in action. When retracted, the wheels stay partially visible just like in the real DC-3.

Would you like to see this become an official LEGO set (well I admit it, probably with much less chrome that is :tongue:)?

The DC-3 is one of my CUUSOO projects!

Check it out for MORE pictures (including direct links to my Flickr images) and for more info! :classic:

7254031056_faf9d4d4d9_c.jpg

P.S. If you really like this, please help me to spread the word! :grin:

Edited by Ssorg
Indexed

Whoa, that's a lot of chrome! Good job on the shape of the plane, think you nailed it. Love the landing gear too, those technic pieces work very well. I feel like the cockpit "glass" should be clearer, though I don't know if there's a window piece in that shape, or other clear pieces to use instead. It's a minor gripe though.

So shiny... default_classic.gif

I feel like the cockpit "glass" should be clearer, though I don't know if there's a window piece in that shape, or other clear pieces to use instead.

Yes the cockpit windscreen has a more UCS/exclusive style to it than a playset... I went through all the windscreen pieces and couldn't find any that would replicate well enough the looks of the real plane. That's simply the reason. Using some simple windscreen pieces would take it further away from the real DC-3. A possible official set could have another solution. In the end it's a matter of personal taste, preference, and I had to make a choice there. :classic:

Edited by Ssorg

Excellent shaping on the whole plane :thumbup: And the interior looks great, it looks like the rudder works as well?

I supported it :classic:

Excellent shaping on the whole plane :thumbup: And the interior looks great, it looks like the rudder works as well?

I supported it :classic:

Yep the rudder turns.

Wow. She's a beauty! :wub_drool: I'd buy that even with out the shiny shiny chrome parts. The way you've utilised all the curves is amazing! :thumbup:

Do you have a picture showing the landing gear retracted?

Edit: Frontpaged! :classic:

Do you have a picture showing the landing gear retracted?

Good point, no I don't have at the moment. But you can still see it in the video.

Thank You for putting this on the front page and for making mention of my airship and Titanic as well! :sweet:

Edited by Ssorg

Absolutely beautiful model! It's very accurate to its source, and I really like that it's minifigure scale. I have added my support on Cuusoo, this would be a worthy model for them to produce.

gorgeous. I'd perhaps prefer a brushed aluminium/chrome like on the Sopwith Camel over the shiny shiny chrome, but its a beautifully modelled plane.

If this were a real set I'd buy this over the Sopwith Camel in a blink

How many pieces does it use, and how long/wide is it? want to get a feel for likely costs if lego made it as-is

Edited by mrklaw

How many pieces does it use, and how long/wide is it? want to get a feel for likely costs if lego made it as-is

Around 2,500 pieces. Note that in this scale the price-per-part ratio is often rather low, like $0.065 or even less. Also, out of that 2,500 a great portion is tiny cheap pieces.

Here exact dimensions:

Douglas DC-3

All this info is also in the description on CUUSOO. :classic:

My jaw hit the floor when I saw this on the front page today.

It's absolutely beautiful.

Would love to see a camo version with D-day black and white stripes.

Well it looks like I'm not the only person who thinks this is an AWESOME and beautiful creation :wub: .....I supported this days ago when I first saw it. :sweet:

Excellent designing 'Ssorg', lets hope this hits the magic mark ! :grin:

Glorious!

A fantastic rendition and the gear is awesome. I will think of this MOC everytime I walk by my Peril In Peru version which looks petty in comparison.

Where do you get all the chrome pieces?

Edited by ETAV8R

That is just amazing. You definetly put a lot of work and detail into it.

I will think of this MOC everytime I walk by my Peril In Peru version which looks petty in comparison.

Good point to mention that set! I do think the plane there represents DC-3. Not only that it little looks like one, but the Indiana Jones movie had DC-3 in the scene where he travelled by plane. Obviously, TLG made the plane obscure enough so that there will be no legal issues. :laugh: Plus making it more accurate would have probably meant much more pieces and more price for such a regular playset.

Where do you get all the chrome pieces?

Chrome Block City store on BrickLink.