Ssorg

MOC: Titanic (CAD)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Greeting again!

This time I have only a digital MOC to present...

RMS Titanic! Designed with MLCAD and then rendered.

6993549256_70d55c156f_c.jpg

7139642155_3e3db919e4_c.jpg

6993563970_055876c14e_c.jpg

I worked hard to make it as accurate as humanly possible in this scale. Compare to the real thing:

6991127392_77d178e7a5_o.jpg

(The Titanic plan picture above is taken (with permission) from here.)

Not such bad results huh?

But hey, we have a chance of getting this made in real bricks, for I have submitted this on CUUSOO!

Check it out, there are tons of more information and direct links to more pictures! :sweet:

P.S. If you really like this, please help me to spread the word! :grin:

Edited by Ssorg
Indexed

love it and supported it on cuusoo. Although it'd be a very expensive model, I think its a classic piece of engineering history, so would sit well as a high end model like Tower Bridge.

you mention using pieces that Lego don't make yet - could you elaborate? Do you mean just colours that they don't yet have, or entirely new elements you invented :D

How about rigging or fencing for the front and rear?

Although it'd be a very expensive model

Size and price are hard to avoid with Titanic! :laugh: Besides it wouldn't be even near many most expensive Lego sets so far, like several UCS SW sets.

you mention using pieces that Lego don't make yet - could you elaborate? Do you mean just colours that they don't yet have, or entirely new elements you invented :D

No new elements, just two things: colours at some places, and then the suggestion of printed bricks with window patterns.

How about rigging or fencing for the front and rear?

Not sure what you exactly mean, the edges of both head and stern are already fenced with those 3mm hoses. Any bigger fence would be way out of scale. Very challenging to make small details in this scale! :laugh:

Edited by Ssorg

Very large creation! I can only imagine all the time you put into this, I like the windows :thumbup:

The shape of the hull is also impressive :classic:

This is hugely impressive. How many bricks does this contain?

How many bricks does this contain?

Around 4,000. Price-per-part ratio would be rather low in this scale, maybe even $0.06 (Taj Mahal was $0.05) so it could cost somewhat near $250, under $300 likely anyway.

I already voted. Nice to see a model of the Titanic that's realistic, big enough to be recognizable but not as huge that it would cost a small fortune. The portholes, are they custom stickers?

The portholes, are they custom stickers?

Like discussed in the CUUSOO project description, I suggest printed bricks with window patterns on them (TLG has done that before with their promotianal ferry sets).

In my design I've just used certain black pieces stuck inside white bricks to simulate the printing. :laugh:

Edited by Ssorg

Again AWESOME work there 'Ssorg', truth to tell you....I don't want it, my wife is a Titanic fan as much as I'm a Lego fan. :laugh:

She'll want it for sure ! :wink:

Already supporting it ! :classic:

Edited by lightningtiger

That looks great! The windows are nice, I think I'd prefer them built rather than printed.

Fittingly enough, I saw Titanic last week. :tongue:

Wow! Any idea of the weight it would have?

VERY hard to say... :tongue:

The windows are nice, I think I'd prefer them built rather than printed.

At first I considered making them out of bricks, but in this scale any window holes made of various bricks would easily look way too big. Besides LEGO has done it before with their special ferry sets, usual bricks with printed window patterns on them (there's a direct link to an example in the project description on CUUSOO).

You can approximate based on the weight per piece of other large sets.

Well the design is around 4,000 pieces so to go from there... Right now I'm out of time on-line (public terminal).

Due to my still-going-on vacation almost in the middle of nowhere it's been hard for me to access Internet or have enough time on-line, but it's great to see this warm welcome by all! And thank you everyone for your most kind compliments.

Well the design is around 4,000 pieces so to go from there... Right now I'm out of time on-line (public terminal).

Due to my still-going-on vacation almost in the middle of nowhere it's been hard for me to access Internet or have enough time on-line, but it's great to see this warm welcome by all! And thank you everyone for your most kind compliments.

I was addressing Johnny. He should be able to do that math.

i just saw this didn't make the cut on Lego Ideas... would you consider releasing the MOC yourself as Lego won't take it forwards?

It breaks my heart (of the ocean) that this didn't get selected! If there is ANY way you'd concider making instructions or a parts list, I would be over joyed! I want to build this in real brick and just stare at it all day!!