Sign in to follow this  
andhe

Hero Factory... the Movie

Neither. From what I get, this isn´t supposed to be a DTV release (they already have the TV episodes for that) but a cinema release. At the same time, I can already tell you know this will never reach the quality of Toy Story. I´m pretty sure they are rather aiming for an action-packed movie with a Transformers vibe, so I don´t think we can expect a brilliant storyline, but hopefully some decent action scenes and special effects.

Anyway, we haven´t got any confirmation yet that this is indeed going to happen. The negotiations could still fail, but LEGO would miss a great chance if they do. I can imagine the HF sets flying off the shelves with a movie, even if it doesn´t turn out as a high-quality production.

-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

Apparently Universal are developing a Hero Factory Movie. This is not connected to the Lego movie being developed by WB.

What do you think? The next Toy Story, or straight to DVD?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34085

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-lego-hero-factory-robots-movie-328785?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

My god, those articles are terrible. "Bionicles"? "Von Nebular"?

Nonetheless I'm hopeful for this project. With any luck, the longer format will allow for better character development and plot, and will result in a lower density of bad jokes.

If this does in fact happen ("in negotiations" could mean a lot of things), then I'm hoping for the best. At any rate, Hero Factory's various media has been so varied in both mood and quality that I reckon there won't be too much uproar even if it does disappoint.

Live action is an interesting idea, and certainly implies an Earth-based film, which I don't mind. I've heard multiple people tried to write screenplays for a BIONICLE movie in that theme's early days, and they were often rejected because they involved introducing human kids to the BIONICLE universe (presumably from writers who figured it would be too hard for kids to identify with robotic characters). But Hero Factory has done "crossovers" with Earth multiple times before, like in Hero Factory FM, the 2010 product ads, and the Hero Factory designer videos. So such a decision would be nothing new to the theme, which has a loose story that allows for such things without automatically breaking willing suspension of disbelief.

Overall it will be interesting to see where this leads. My main hope for it has nothing to do with the movie's eventual quality. I just hope that TLG won't be forced to give up too much creative freedom on such an ambitious venture.

Even if it is like Transformers... I will go for it to the cinema! A fight on the Earth? Good. Some of the people would not be happy about such an idea but a HF movie? The plot doesn't have to be perfect. I just want to see it. Hoooooly cow! Such a present on the birthday! :cry_happy: Explosions, shooting, cities (perhaps NY :P or Wash D.C.). The only thing I wouldn't like to see are plastic actresses like the girl from TF 3.

"As opposed to other Lego toys, Hero Factory has a distinct storyline and a dense mythology."

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*hack*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"As opposed to other Lego toys, Hero Factory has a distinct storyline and a dense mythology."

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*hack*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, the only currently running ( :wink: ) theme that can compare/outclass it is Ninjago. So in that respect, the quote's correct.

Maybe it'll look something like this:

Well, Universal made a movie based on a board game so I don't think it'll be some sort of abomination. (Though Battleship isn't really good)

Edited by TheRedGuy

Well, Universal made a movie based on a board game so I don't think it'll be some sort of abomination. (Though Battleship isn't really good)

Humans with badly tied ties and terrible acting, alongside robot characters from a completely different universe. Fantastic.

Humans with badly tied ties and terrible acting, alongside robot characters from a completely different universe. Fantastic.

What's with you and your ties? :laugh:

Anyways, what you just said was kinda what I was expecting. :sceptic:

As I said on the BZPower forums, if live-action is used, I expect people to do whatever movements are necessary for the bots while wearing these bodysuits with big, white dots on them to track movement, while standing in front of a green screen, so later the movements can be taken, the bot can be rendered in CG and made to follow the movements, and the people can be cut out completely. That's how I would do it.

As for actual people, I wouldn't mind a Transformers-type thing going on there, with bots coming to Earth to fight an old evil (*coughNEBULAcough*), or with Humans working in the HF facilities(whoever mentioned that in the other thread, it's a great idea, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with it) along side the Human-sized bots.

OR, similar to Avatar or The Matrix, the humans could be plugged in to pods and enter the bodies of the bots, controlling them and whatever, though I doubt that's to happen. Any way it does happen, I look forward to seeing updates as they come. It's a big opportunity for LEGO, one that they should take a chance with. But I really hope it won't be like that commercial. I mean, that stank.

I honestly hope the only live-action is from the civilians. Robots played by humans? NO.

I honestly hope the only live-action is from the civilians. Robots played by humans? NO.

There are people who play robots, an option I'd rather not have, and then there is motion tracking(basically sums up what I said earlier). Use the movements of the humans, copy them, increase the size, whatever, and make the CG bot do the movements. They may move like humans and speak like humans, but animation-wise they are all bot.

Speaking of Voices, if Surge is featured in the movie, I think he should get a different voice actor. His high, squeaky voice in the episodes is unbearable. And, If Mr. Makuhero is featured, I think someone like Ben Kingsley (Prince of Persia, Hugo) would be great for the wizened old bot. What do you all think?

Speaking of Voices, if Surge is featured in the movie, I think he should get a different voice actor. His high, squeaky voice in the episodes is unbearable. And, If Mr. Makuhero is featured, I think someone like Ben Kingsley (Prince of Persia, Hugo) would be great for the wizened old bot. What do you all think?

Agreed. When I first heard Surge talking, I went to the bathroom and washed out my ears. Seriously, I thought I misheard him talking. Unfortunately I was wrong. I would like if Andrew Garfield did the (voice) acting for one of the male rookies. I doubt that will happen, but it would be nice. Of course, that's just what I think.

Ben Kingsley would make an interesting Mr. Makuro. Or maybe it could be Stan Lee! :sweet: No, I'm just kidding.

I'll bet that there'll be a LOT of CGI and Mocap, but most of you probably guessed that too. Now it's not as common for the actors to wear fake looking costumes when they're playing a robot, or an ape-person (Planet Of The Apes).

Am I the only one who likes Surge's voice? I think it fits the character as I imagine him.

Am I the only one who likes Surge's voice? I think it fits the character as I imagine him.

It makes him sound like Spongebob. He is a big burly robot with guns a laser vision and stuff.

My god, those articles are terrible. "Bionicles"? "Von Nebular"?

I wouldn't say getting a term and a name wrong makes an article 'terrible', especially when the term 'Bionicles' is commonplace; my parents always referred to them as such. It is colloquial.

I don't understand why people complain about Surge having a high-pitched voice. It seems just as stupid to me as when people complain about Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic because of how they "hate Southern accents".

People exist with high-pitched voices. It makes sense to give a high-pitched voice to a hero with a more youthful, naive personality than his teammates. And frankly, his voice isn't terribly squeaky anyway. I've had friends with voices not too unlike that.

{vid}

If the movie was like this, I would see it on opening day. I don't care for Hero Factory, but darn. This reminds me of the quality movies from The Asylum. :laugh:

Edited by just2good

I don't understand why people complain about Surge having a high-pitched voice. It seems just as stupid to me as when people complain about Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic because of how they "hate Southern accents".

People exist with high-pitched voices. It makes sense to give a high-pitched voice to a hero with a more youthful, naive personality than his teammates. And frankly, his voice isn't terribly squeaky anyway. I've had friends with voices not too unlike that.

I suppose, but I just don't think the voice entirely matches up with Surge's personality. His bio said that he has trouble keeping his emotions in check, and that he thinks that he was built with a flaw, but the voice doesn't seem to capture that aspect of his personality. But then again, so far the series hasn't brought that up even once.

I suppose, but I just don't think the voice entirely matches up with Surge's personality. His bio said that he has trouble keeping his emotions in check, and that he thinks that he was built with a flaw, but the voice doesn't seem to capture that aspect of his personality. But then again, so far the series hasn't brought that up even once.

It did, somewhat, in episode 5, 'Ordeal of Fire'.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/63633-hero-factory-lego-series-to-become-a-film

So, apparently, Universal wants their own Transformers ripoff, and they want Hero Factory to be the brand name used. >_<

I didn't bother watching the Transformers movies beyond the first one, and from what I've heard and seen the series has NOT improved with time. Here's hoping this one never sees the light of day--or if it does happen, that it actually manages to correct the mistakes Transformers did not.

No matter how this movie turns out, be it in production style, voice acting, storyline, or rating, I just hope it doesn't end up being called

HERO FACTORY: The Movie

I mean, that would sound kind of plain, instead of it being something like "Ordeal of Fire" or "Breakout".

But that's all I really care about right now, not Surge's voice, not human-bot interaction, not violence levels, none of it, until more details come out about the movie.

EDIT: Just thought of an awesome movie title.

If Von Nebula, Rotor, etc. are used:

HERO FACTORY: Nebula Rising

Edited by Cirkit