Dread Pirate Wesley

Ship's boats

That's a nice boat phred. I like the SNOT on the front of the boat.(not sure if you can call it a bow on a small long boat)

That is a huge longboat Blackmoor! I've actually never seen one quite so large, wonder if it had a special purpose to fit so many men. How many minifigs do you think yours would hold? You should try it just for comparison :pir_laugh2:

:jollyroger: DPW

See my previous post. :pir_laugh2:

Most of the longboats aboard a third rate were also equipped with a mast and a hold under the waterline for supplies. There are even some examples carrying swivel guns.

I've built two boats for Matterhorn based off DPW's design. I've added reddish brown flooring and some grates to add just a small amount more detail. I really love these little boats.

They are sized as a 24 foot launch, and a 22 foot yawls. These would have had small masts, spars, and sails though I don't think I will makes those for these two. I think I will try to make a shorter version at only 2/3 the height for a more waterline look for when the boats are off the ship's beams. I would like to include the sails on one of these.

15140953472_286556817f_c.jpg

15118326086_eb99f5d773_c.jpg

14954775538_6369b7af11_c.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend

I build an admiral barge ones, there's a topic about it here

it was a bit stubby and square, but my main goal when building was that a rowing crew of 8 actually would fit in it.

Bart

Hey there,

now about my long boats:)

First I tried to build the long boat for my ship like Legonardo.

On this pic you can see a newer attempt, which was oriented by the one from Captain Green Hair and Errorist.

old.jpg_thumb.jpg

I didn't have a lot of those round bowed bricks.

But then I decided to just buy them online and improve the boat.

Didn't find the right coloured bricks for the rudder but you can easily attach one.

p1040812.jpg_thumb.jpgp1040837.jpg_thumb.jpg

You also can add a bowsprit and a mast, if you want to use it as a little cutter or change the era of time, the boat is floating in.

p1040801.jpg_thumb.jpg

Greetings,

Wellesley!

P.S.: I still think that the long boat from Captain Green Hair and Errorist looks best.

Edited by Wellesley

They look great ejred. I like how wide you were able to make the launch. I was experimenting with making one of my boats wider a few weeks ago and couldn't find a solution I liked. Excellent work!

It makes me think of this:

7gERGkD.jpg

Ha you're right! I suppose I was channeling that picture subconsciously when I posed the figures, although I hadn't thought of it

They look great ejred. I like how wide you were able to make the launch. I was experimenting with making one of my boats wider a few weeks ago and couldn't find a solution I liked. Excellent work!

Thanks! It is nice and roomy. I was planing 5-wide seats, but then was surprised to find that 6-stud fit. I think I will switch back to five though, since the "ribs" I put in prevent the figures from actually sitting on the 6 stud bench properly...

I decided to switch the stripes to dark red, and my black rudders came in so I was able to ditch the dark blue one. I'm working on the pinnace now...