I am a huge fan of the Ax Men tv series on the History Channel, and I am wondering if anybody has ever done an MOC of a tracked yarder used with skylines and winches to bring trees and logs up to the landing where they are picked up by an excavator type machine with a grappling hook to stack or load on to logging trucks. Just curious...I would attach a pic of one but I can't seem to copy and paste one here, must be the images I searched out are protected possibly...

I have never seen a Yarder built, but that's not to say it hasn't been done.

Alasdair Ryan was working on a Harvester, Efferman is building a Log truck with crane, somebody else built a TigerCat Feller Buncher, and I'm working on a John Deere Forwarder. I think with your Yarder, pretty soon we'll have a full line of LEGO logging equipment. :grin:

Edited by dhc6twinotter

I have never seen a Yarder built, but that's not to say it hasn't been done.

Alasdair Ryan was working on a Harvester, Efferman is building a Log truck with crane, somebody else built a TigerCat Feller Buncher, and I'm working on a John Deere Forwarder. I think with your Yarder, pretty soon we'll have a full line of LEGO logging equipment. :grin:

That would be so awesome! If we were to meet somewhere, we should all bring our mocs for an ultimate yard.

I am building a feller-buncher:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/380637_404327346253966_310426098977425_1368962_2056841996_n.jpg

IF you search Youtube, there are lots of videos of logging machines made from Legos.

tim

For those not familiar with the "Ax Men" TV show, here are the machines:

594.jpg1829772019_9941eb7c9e.jpg

These are the pics I couldn't find or copy and paste, the feller buncher basically picks up logs from the landing or it can used as I saw in the series in a pinch without an actual yarder, which has a straight up boom with many guide lines anchored around the yarder, then they run a skyline down (or up the mountain in some cases) and secure to a stump or to the near top of a large steady tree that has the top bucked off, this runs the skycar which is basically the motorized mechanism that runs the chokers (to secure the logs aways from the yarder or feller buncher) down to the choking crew at the bottom or up to the top of a clearing job. Take a look at DLuders post right before mine for pics of feller bunchers. Geez I actually came up with a topic that was hooked onto right away, that's nice to see.

For those not familiar with the "Ax Men" TV show, here are the machines:

Yeah a yarder would definitely rate on a high difficulty challenge as far as an MOC. I have an idea of modifying 1 of my 8043 Excavators to be a feller buncher, will post pics once I figure out how to add a spool instead of the bucket attachment at the end of the boom, in order for it to be authentic on a scene, would have to figure out a way to create a simulated forest and clearing and a tree to attach the skyline to, but I'm into model railroading, so can probably figure that part out easiest, as far as string length, would have to buy some lengths or might part out an 8053 Mobile Crane set. Alasdair's feller buncher is quite nice, that's one part I'd have to figure out, how to reel and unreel the skyline from the spool, it would have to high-tensile as this sort of foresting requires that anchoring point far away, not much room to display models or dioramas, have a construction one going now, but I might buy extra tables to create just a forestry one. I actually considered the tower crane version of the 8288's I have and going from there, its basically just a cockpit on tracks with the winch line, but it wouldn't be so authentic as it is only one string coming out of that model, possibly I could attach more guide lines around the 8288 creating a simulated yarder that keep the real ones upright and level with no possiblity of tip-over (unless too much stress is put on the yarder by choking too many trees making it to the landing and not fall over.

Timr - you are right, I have a huge construction diorama and whole array of models for basic construcion equipment.

That would be so awesome! If we were to meet somewhere, we should all bring our mocs for an ultimate yard.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/380637_404327346253966_310426098977425_1368962_2056841996_n.jpg

IF you search Youtube, there are lots of videos of logging machines made from Legos.

tim

Tried to edit my last post but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I have to give credit where it is deserved, I was wrong, Alasdair was working on the harvester, but timr was actually working on the feller buncher. My main thing is I REALLY want to create an MOC instead of taking others ideas, and while they have improved my already built out of the box models, I want to create the yarder myself. I think I will still use the underpinnings of the 8288 and add one of the booms straight up, then build the cab and figure out the stringing and skycar myself. Instead of commenting, I'd actually like to add something of my own creation to the group...thanks for the interest all you have had thus far, it gives me a sense of purpose to really do this, might take a while, but now I have the incentive...thanks

tim

Tried to edit my last post but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I have to give credit where it is deserved, I was wrong, Alasdair was working on the harvester, but timr was actually working on the feller buncher. My main thing is I REALLY want to create an MOC instead of taking others ideas, and while they have improved my already built out of the box models, I want to create the yarder myself. I think I will still use the underpinnings of the 8288 and add one of the booms straight up, then build the cab and figure out the stringing and skycar myself. Instead of commenting, I'd actually like to add something of my own creation to the group...thanks for the interest all you have had thus far, it gives me a sense of purpose to really do this, might take a while, but now I have the incentive...thanks

I'm planning to build one of those soon:

http://www.tigercat.com/images/stories/model_imgs/skidders/635D/635d_skidder_swamp_2.jpg

It will be on a large scale and with use of pneumatics... Still waiting fir a lot of parts.

I too love those logging machines =)

Welcome to the forum Pedro - yeah that's a nice machine too, saw it being used in a few episodes as a feller buncher. I think we all have some ideas for different logging/forestry machines. I was thinking about the b model of the 8416 Forklift from 2005, it was a wheeled forestry machine with a raised grappler on back IIRC, can't recall the lift height, know it was lower than the the Unimog or the Logging Truck, but I have about 5 copies of that set, might have to crack one and build that model and see if its high enough to load logs, since its wheels are bigger, would be an off-road logger, and could drop logs at the landing to be loaded onto the 9397 Logging Truck, all of a sudden have lots of ideas for logging/forestry equipment and a new diorama. One thing I always wondered, what was the raiseable dark gray mechanism in front of that b model used for? A plow when it was raised, or was it something to crush down debris in its path in the downright position? Never was quite sure what its use was...

http://www.tigercat.com/images/stories/model_imgs/skidders/635D/635d_skidder_swamp_2.jpg

It will be on a large scale and with use of pneumatics... Still waiting fir a lot of parts.

I finished my harvester a while back,athough it needs to be rebuilt with La's on the main boom,hopefully i will build another one soon.:classic:

I was thinking of building one of these too, and with the feller buncher i could have a pretty sweet logging operation going.

A plow when it was raised, or was it something to crush down debris in its path in the downright position? Never was quite sure what its use was...

I am pretty sure that it is a plow, although I have never seen it being used.

tim

Edited by timr

Got a real good idea if not the best looking for a feller buncher at least, the 'inspirational model' on the back of the 8275 Bulldozer's box, I know they usually use an Excavator with a claw grabber where the bucket would be, but I don't have an extra excavator, think the 8294 Excavator might be too small, but who knows might try, but I am going to try the b model of the 8275 first. Its mainly more like it says, inspirational, no cab or fairings or anything to make it look like anything more than RC grabber on tracks, but I think I can modify it with a cab and close it in so it looks like it can grab a tree with its claws and buck it off. As far as the yarder, I think I'm going to try a couple different options, either the 8288 Crane's base then add one boom section as the tower and I just bought a couple 30 foot sections of 1mm craft string from Amazon to use as guide lines at its base and also to run as skylines. Have to figure out a skycar setup yet, plan to use the small lt grey pulleys, just have to lay out a plan for how the skycar will look. As far as a Yoader, the alternative to the Yarder, I plan to try and modify one of my 8043 Excavators, take off the bucket and modify the front with a large spool with string with two or three 'chokers' tied to it like they used at Stump Branch logging the 1st season of Ax Men...

I was thinking of building one of these too, and with the feller buncher i could have a pretty sweet logging operation going.

I am pretty sure that it is a plow, although I have never seen it being used.

tim

Got a real good idea if not the best looking for a feller buncher at least, the 'inspirational model' on the back of the 8275 Bulldozer's box, I know they usually use an Excavator with a claw grabber where the bucket would be, but I don't have an extra excavator, think the 8294 Excavator might be too small, but who knows might try, but I am going to try the b model of the 8275 first. Its mainly more like it says, inspirational, no cab or fairings or anything to make it look like anything more than RC grabber on tracks, but I think I can modify it with a cab and close it in so it looks like it can grab a tree with its claws and buck it off. As far as the yarder, I think I'm going to try a couple different options, either the 8288 Crane's base then add one boom section as the tower and I just bought a couple 30 foot sections of 1mm craft string from Amazon to use as guide lines at its base and also to run as skylines. Have to figure out a skycar setup yet, plan to use the small lt grey pulleys, just have to lay out a plan for how the skycar will look. As far as a Yoader, the alternative to the Yarder, I plan to try and modify one of my 8043 Excavators, take off the bucket and modify the front with a large spool with string with two or three 'chokers' tied to it like they used at Stump Branch logging the 1st season of Ax Men...

Sounds like some interesting ideas. Keep us posted on your progress! I am going to attempt to make a skidder along with my feller buncher and gooseneck truck/trailer. I have never made so many MOC's at once!

tim

Here is a nice Lego Technic Forest Machine by ale0794/ furius. Based on the Lego Technic 8265 B-model (seen in the photo below), it appears on this

and Brickshelf gallery) and uses "4 XL-motors, 4 M-motors....blade that can really cut little plant":

101-8265-f.jpg Edited by DLuders

Sounds like some interesting ideas. Keep us posted on your progress! I am going to attempt to make a skidder along with my feller buncher and gooseneck truck/trailer. I have never made so many MOC's at once!

tim

The gooseneck trailer I am real interested in...that is one I have never been able to reproduce...

Here is a nice Lego Technic Forest Machine by ale0794/ furius. Based on the Lego Technic 8265 B-model (seen in the photo below), it appears on this

and Brickshelf gallery) and uses "4 XL-motors, 4 M-motors....blade that can really cut little plant":

101-8265-f.jpg

DLuders - is the jpg (not the youtube vid) the b model of the 8265. I can't recall how it looks but I still have the instructions for the b, they are just buried right as are my 3 8265 sealed sets as I prepare for moving...that would make a good grappler of sorts...I did build the b model once but it was a long time ago and can't recall if it looked like that or not...

Oops..guess I should have read your description at the top more accurately, it is the b model...

Edited by TechnicFreak

One Gooseneck trailer and a truck.............:laugh:

th_P1000124.jpg

It's not motorized i know but it would not be too hard.:sweet:

Too bad you would never be able to build one on a large scale like mine :wink: .

418968_339816666038368_398720461_n.jpg

EDIT: the trailer is much more complete and better looking. This is just a WIP picture.

Tim

Edited by timr

...my 3 8265 sealed sets as I prepare for moving...

Nice! I just broke the seals on mine last night to build the A model. I might require another one of these at some point. I like it a lot so far - very nice design. Now back to the thread... :classic:

Nice! I just broke the seals on mine last night to build the A model. I might require another one of these at some point. I like it a lot so far - very nice design. Now back to the thread... :classic:

Off-topic, but...planning on selling at least 2 8265's of these in the future, 1 I am going to build the b model from once I unearth it for my forestry operation, others I will list on Bricklink or I don't know if the rules allow here (to the moderators or others that have the capability to do so) and if they don't please just bump this message, PM me and I can sell to you direct, easier that way anyway...just a thought if you're interested down the road...

One Gooseneck trailer and a truck.............:laugh:

Very nice Alasdair - lot of 'old-school' studded parts in it, does the 5th wheel detach completely to unload tractors and such?

Too bad you would never be able to build one on a large scale like mine :wink: .

EDIT: the trailer is much more complete and better looking. This is just a WIP picture.

Tim

I did something similar with the deck of my b model 8285 Tow Truck model (the tractor/trailer). Took off the crane and added some of those large flat gray panels held in place underneath in the chassis, but its just not quite long enough to be a real low-boy and the wheels in back are too big to let a large bucket fit. I can fit the 8455 Backhoe on it with the bucket in between the wheels and the bucket faced front resting on the 5th wheel pneumatic set up, the Pneumatic Front End Loader fits perfectly on it as well as the 8294 Excavator too. Good job, please do post a pic when its finished...

101-8265-f.jpg

DLuders or others - rather curious, does the b model 8265's pinch claw at the end of the substructure actually reach ground level, and when I mean that, if placed on a table with the wheels all balanced on the table, does the claw touch the table. It seems like from the pic it doesn't go that low, but who am I to say, I seem to remember building it a while ago (like nearly 3 years ago), but don't recall about the claw's low point and high point. Doesn't look like it can be motorized, but I am rather sure somebody here has done it at some point...

Edited by TechnicFreak

...does the b model 8265's pinch claw at the end of the substructure actually reach ground level, and when I mean that, if placed on a table with the wheels all balanced on the table, does the claw touch the table.

From BG87's YouTube video of the 8265 B-Model, you can see that the claw ALMOST touches the table:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLNj7J3hvc