Today I got an idea on how to make a really simple, yet flexible technic rollercoaster tracks. All you need are LOTS of pin joiners and pins and few axle joiners.

p1170889.jpg

The cart is very simple and goes very smooth on the tracks.

Now all i need is some 1000 axle joiners :sceptic:

Edited by Zblj

Now all i need is some 1000 axle joiners

I think you need to drive over to the Lego production facility in Kladno, Czech Republic to get them! :tongue:

Seriously, I think your idea is an "elegant solution" to the problem of 3-dimensional warping of Roller Coaster tracks. Lego train tracks are expensive, but Technic Pin Joiners are common. One could even order them in bulk from "Lego Direct" (Lego Customer Service). You will need the Lego Element ID (not Bricklink Part Number) for The Lego Group to fill an order:

Bricklink 62462 "Technic, Pin Connector Round with Slot (Pin Joiner Round)" -- Lego Element ID 4526985: 62462.jpg

This is a fantasic idea. You are not limited at all, you can make any shape trak you like. Bring on the corkscrews! :thumbup:

I saw the idea on youtube. looks like it works well but could be very expensive. Maybe you could get sponsored by the Lego company like many other super huge Robot builders do.

tim

It's a great idea and the Pin Connectors cost only 0,06$ per part. This isn't too expensive i think :wink:

If you can move the support connectors to be more horizontal than you should be able to add wheels under the carriage as well so it can twist and do loops etc.

Looks like a great starting point... :classic:

A couple of things

would wheels with tires on them be better, as I think friction is going to be a killer...? :sceptic:

the initial drop is going to be quite steep to get the kinetic energy to complete the track

would you use some technic link tread (3873) with a few technic pins to drag the cars up the first slope & motorise that part... :classic:

That's all I could think of so far....

Very nice idea! The best one i've personally seen so far at least :) Congratulations Zblj!

Do you have any idea on how to mount a chain inbetween the rails to climb the car up?

About the parts cost, since the construction is made up of a few very common pieces, i think it would be relatively inexpensive.

Zblj this is a great idea! Allowing for a twisting track, now you have to ask Sergio to allow this in SR3D Builder :classic:!

Part-wise it isn't too expensive, the joiners are ok and available in quantities (except you go with DkBlGrey which is only available as 75535..)

I think that the wheel/axle solution you have put in is having a lot of friction. The axle needs to rotate but is, as far as I can see, vital for the structural building of the cars. I would try a non-axle hole wheel like the 42619:

42610.gif

or the 56902:

56902.jpg

Both have the disadtvantage of the "groove" being relatively small.

Looking forward for more!

fW

Personally I think I would motorise the car with a really high speed but not very much torque, so little in fact that it can hardly move itslf, but enough so that you don't lose much speed and can have a long train of cars like on most real rollercoasters.

Now all i need is some 1000 axle joiners :sceptic:

Hi Zblj,

This weekend I was at LL Germany and guess what the "Fabrik" has in its bins! Yes, Connector 62462 in Red an White in huge quantities.... Cost is 9 EUR/100g so it is about 3,5 cents per piece.

Having your idea in mind I took a few handful of them (of course not enough) and tried a small setup which is approximately 80 cm long. I am using the wheels I suggested and they are loosing of course more momentum than the train wheels, but I think it is bearable. May be add an acceleration section in the middle of the coaster, and a heavier car. The next thing would be a check how a looping would work out and what kind of acceleration it needs to go through it.

fW

Edited by freakwave