Review: 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep

194 members have voted

1. 1. Good set?

• Outstanding!!
    • Good.
    • OK...
    • Not good.
    • lower than Balrog

I voted "Outstanding". Helm's Deep is my second favourite LotR set, so far. I think the set would benefit greatly from a battle pack containing 3 Uruk-hai, 1 Rohan Solider and 1 Elf Archer.

The reasons for my vote are listed in the following rating (out of 5)

Build - was really interesting with hinged elements and technic elements in the tower

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Movie accuracy - clearly recognisable, main features included, but throne room feels off

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Minifigures - King Theoden is simply amazing, the Uruks are great, Haldir lacks a head-turning ability but is otherwise stunning, Aragorn could have used a different look to Weathertop

Play features - exploding wall one of the best ever, side door, ladder, tower, heaps of figures - a kid's dream

OVERALL

Edited by Lynx

Bought this set the first day it was released at Toysrus. Even though it was marked up to 159.99, I don't regret it. Loved the build. In terms of size, it's smaller than Vladek's dark fortress(which I do have), but there is much more detail given to it. It is, however, much longer, deeper, and taller than Vladek's Dark Fortress. My only gripe is that it doesn't come with any Rohan troops.

I'm pretty sure the "extra cape" was meant for theoden

I'm pretty sure the "extra cape" was meant for theoden

I'm not so sure about that. In the films, Theoden is never shown wearing anything but a green cape. (as I recall) The extra cape in the Helm's Deep set is the same dark red as Haldir's.

I'm building this set for one of the upcoming sotres, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed making the walls. Much more than I have any regular castle.

I just got this set along with two uruk army sets on Amazon US for $196. I was not going to any LOTR sets since i am mainly star wars but i could not resist this after reading the review and watching reviews. Otherwise no other sets interest me. I just look forward to a minastirith set. I hope it is like the UCS Falcon, huge and 3,000 peices.

If you're a member at Barnes & Noble, they currently have some 20% off Members-only coupons. Using a coupon, I was able to get Helm's Deep from BN.com for about $94. :thumbup: Their current price is $116.99, minus 10% for being a member, then minus an additional 20% for the coupon. And free shipping too! :grin:

Peter

I have never read or seen any of the books or movies about 10 days ago, I saw how awesome it was and then began reading the books and seeing bits of the movie. I bought Uruk hai army and soon I will buy Helms deep and other sets to make an awesome MOC. I have to say that Lego did an awesome job copying the movie, I saw the set and then after watching it I can see where Lego got their inspiration. For the price it is awesome and if you buy it and a few uruk hai sets you will have the best battle. I also recommend buying elves from CMF series 3.

At fist I thought it was a fantasy castle and gave it a "Lower than a Balrog" but now I realise what a great set it is and I am now a LOTR nut. I will change my vote.

Edited by Duke of wellington

:thumbup:

Nice review, exellent set. There are a lot of useful details ( for me ). Minifigs are good. :sweet:

I'm so impressed by the minifigures ! They are so detailed (even printed on the back) and the accessories are so fun. I really hope there will be battle pack (as in Star Wars theme) in order to build a very cool army.

Nice! I'm hoping to achieve a similar setup, with a few additional Uruk-hai once that polybag set is released.

Nice! I'm hoping to achieve a similar setup, with a few additional Uruk-hai once that polybag set is released.

What polybag set?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it on Brickipedia.

Edited by Hive

Hi all,

Recently finished my Hornburg/Helm's Deep set, I love it!!

legohornburgbaseplate1.jpg

legohornburgdrawswords.jpg

I did give Aragorn the chrome great sword for Anduril since I felt that sword is particularly special and should differ from the other swords. :)

As much as I love this set, I felt that it needed the baseplates to give it a more "complete" feel. I'll be completing the stream running through the culvert and I'll be adding another ladder, more Uruks and more men manning the wall at some point, plus more Dunlendings!

Hi all,

Recently finished my Hornburg/Helm's Deep set, I love it!!

I did give Aragorn the chrome great sword for Anduril since I felt that sword is particularly special and should differ from the other swords. :)

As much as I love this set, I felt that it needed the baseplates to give it a more "complete" feel. I'll be completing the stream running through the culvert and I'll be adding another ladder, more Uruks and more men manning the wall at some point, plus more Dunlendings!

I see you read the book. One of my biggest disappointments was the lack of anduril throughout the movies. If you dont mind, what size baseplates are those and how many?

I see you read the book. One of my biggest disappointments was the lack of anduril throughout the movies. If you dont mind, what size baseplates are those and how many?

Hi there, yup, I did indeed read the book... multiple times ;) I'm re-reading it now in fact, want to refresh my memory and maybe draw some inspiration for some MOCs like the Barrow-Downs and Tom's home now that the sets are out.

I too was greatly disappointed by the lack of Anduril in the movies, that sword was almost like another main character in the story. Those are the full 48x48 gray plates, I used 2 plates and it fits the whole set.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/X-Large-Gray-Baseplate-628

(If you notice there's 1 row of pegs hanging off on the left side, but I have 1 free row of pegs on the right, I didn't line it up properly when I put the set on the plates, just guestimated and I don't feel like moving it again. :)

they look like x2 - 48x48 right?

Hi there, yup, I did indeed read the book... multiple times ;) I'm re-reading it now in fact, want to refresh my memory and maybe draw some inspiration for some MOCs like the Barrow-Downs and Tom's home now that the sets are out.

I too was greatly disappointed by the lack of Anduril in the movies, that sword was almost like another main character in the story. Those are the full 48x48 gray plates, I used 2 plates and it fits the whole set.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/X-Large-Gray-Baseplate-628

(If you notice there's 1 row of pegs hanging off on the left side, but I have 1 free row of pegs on the right, I didn't line it up properly when I put the set on the plates, just guestimated and I don't feel like moving it again. :)

It seems it was kinda designed to be paired with two baseplates if its the case that it fits perfect with two wall sections.

I too came with two red capes.

I gave it to Boromir (looks great on him!), and gave his brown cape to Helm's Deep Aragorn.

I'm not so sure about that. In the films, Theoden is never shown wearing anything but a green cape. (as I recall) The extra cape in the Helm's Deep set is the same dark red as Haldir's.

The outside of the cape was green, the inside was red.