194 members have voted

1. 1. Good set?

• Outstanding!!
    • Good.
    • OK...
    • Not good.
    • lower than Balrog

Wow, thanks for the review! :excited:

Just an awesome set, can't wait until I get one. Keep could be a little taller, but that's my only complaint.

Very cool set, and equally great review. But, first thing I have to ask...why 4 booklets?! :hmpf: I really hate having all these instructions for a single set. It's a pain to store them properly and this doesn't help. All those 'brick' bricks! The set is quite a bit bigger than I originally thought. I really like that you can build up the walls, too. Great figs and prints. This line is going to be hard to resist...

You're from New Zealand?

LOTR toys are probably hugely popular where you live, right?

surprisingly I haven't really seen many LOTR toys around (mind you I tend to only look at Lego when going to a toy shop)but I do think LOTRs LEGO will be a hit here when it eventually comes out.

yeah I should probably change my location to New Zealand instead of my latitude/longitude :laugh:

This is definitely one of the best castles Lego has ever produced! The only flaw I can think of is the steep price, which is fair, but steep nonetheless.

BTW, does anyone know if this is the biggest Lego castle ever?

Thanks for the additional pictures. After all the wonderfully detailed reviews here, I can fully say that I will not be buying any LOTR LEGO. Instead, I'll save my money for 6086 and other classic sets, probably the guarded inn as well.

Edited by smitty9999

This is definitely one of the best castles Lego has ever produced! The only flaw I can think of is the steep price, which is fair, but steep nonetheless.

BTW, does anyone know if this is the biggest Lego castle ever?

Well, it depends on what qualifies as castle. Castle theme has 2 sets with more pieces:

10193 Medieval Market Village

1565 Parts, 8 Minifigs, 2009

10223 Kingdoms Joust

1533 Parts, 9 Minifigs, 2012

neither a true castle but a side theme. The largest *castle* is just a hair under 1,000 pieces.

and for Harry Potter line:

10217 Diagon Alley

1977 Parts, 12 Minifigs, 2011

again not a true castle either. HP castle (4th ed) has 1228 pieces which is smaller than Helm's Deep.

So for actual castle, Helm's Deep is the largest in piece count. For all castle themed sets, 3 beats Helm's Deep set.

I didn't think your review was very informative and a lot of the pictures are not that good. I was about ready to start posting my review of this set when I saw your's this morning. I spent so much time taking pics and uploading. My pic's are way better and I feel very burnt by you.

I didn't think your review was very informative and a lot of the pictures are not that good. I was about ready to start posting my review of this set when I saw your's this morning. I spent so much time taking pics and uploading. My pic's are way better and I feel very burnt by you.

Get a life, Seriously. I don't like it when members insult and bully one another just because one beat the other to reviewing a set first.

@ Lego Otaku

Great review. I thought you did a very good job and it was pretty thorough. Looking forward to more reviews from you in the future.

I cannot tell whether this is a serious post or if you are joking. Either way, looking forward to your review. The more, the better. :classic:

Then let's see these pictures of yours which are so much better. There is nothing to stop you posting your review; the more perspectives we get on a set, the better.

If you're going to criticise, be sure you can back up your words. Isn't it better for you to post your review, and let your 'way better' pictures speak for themselves, rather than unfairly flaming another member just because he got there first?

I am wanting to see your review, It is always good to get more than one view on a set :sweet:

EDIT: Whoever has the set could you please take pictures of the parts list from the back of the instruction manual(s)

thanks

=Legoanrdo=

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Fantastic and informative review Lego Otaku with excellent pictures ;-)

This is the LOTR set I've been looking forward to for and it doesn't disappoint. There is just so much to admire here. Helms Deep is probably the most substantial castle that Lego has made. Its a wonderful recreation of the source material. Its simply fantastic to see a Lego castle with an outer wall and an inner keep. It uses a lot of interesting new building techniques and I for one am happy to see Lego move away from the large castle walls and go for something a little more intricate. The minifigs are excellent, I'm particularly fond of Legolas. I think for the price it is considerably better value than most licensed sets and I must confess to being pleasantly surprised by the prices, certainly in comparison to the Star Wars sets.

In short, an absolute triumph and probably my favorite set of the year. I can't wait for it to come to the UK!

Thanks for the great review Lego Otaku! Loving this set, looks brilliant and is a sweet parts pack to boot. Can't wait until i can get my hands on one. :wub:

I'm particularly fond of Legolas.

It's Haldir, not Legolas. Legolas is exclusive to the Mines of Moria set. Otherwise, I fully agree with your post.

By the way, as some people said, this is arguably the largest castle Lego has produced. I don't know, but I am most definitely certain that this is the first Lego castle to contain not one, but TWO kings in it. :laugh:

I think it was a pretty fine review and the pics were good.

I was alittle hestitant on this set, but now I think I'm all in. The banner piece and the detail of the figures more than make-up for any problems with the set, for me.

Thanks for the pictures! It looks like a great set and parts pack for MOCs. I love the selection of minifigures and I will certainly get this set when I can buy it.

You already uploaded them so go ahead and make your review, don't let the picture go to waste. I never saw a rule that stated only one review per set. Maybe your view or comment covered points that I didn't cover.

I'm pretty sure you can have up to 3 reviews of the same set? So the more the merrier. And it is great seeing other people's photos and descriptions because it gives us a better look at the set. I try to read as many reviews as I can before I buy something. If I didn't already like/want this set, then I would be upset only seeing one review, but everyone that can and wants to might as well make their own reviews.

Wow, I guess he didn't know the rights of reviewing this set were exclusive to you. I guess we should delete this thread to make way for your esteemed review.... Sorry but that post ticks me off. :hmpf_bad: He worked at taking pics, uploading, and making a review too. It's only fair that both of you should have your review up.

I put mine together tonight with a friend and it took 2 hours. I freakin love this set!!! SOOOOO glad I purchased it. I had in my mind what others mention with the wall from the Uruk set. I put a section before the drain and 2 after and it looked great. My only complaint about the set is that the Throne room piece sits too low. need to put some bricks under it to build it up some. Haldir has great detail as does theoden. I don't care for the "blow up the wall feature" as it makes that section of the wall weak. I'll fix that tho.

I put mine together tonight with a friend and it took 2 hours. I freakin love this set!!! SOOOOO glad I purchased it. I had in my mind what others mention with the wall from the Uruk set. I put a section before the drain and 2 after and it looked great. My only complaint about the set is that the Throne room piece sits too low. need to put some bricks under it to build it up some. Haldir has great detail as does theoden. I don't care for the "blow up the wall feature" as it makes that section of the wall weak. I'll fix that tho.

Cool. Could you post a photo, please?

And like someone else mentioned(op?) I got 2 red capes too. Ill up load a photo later today.

Excellent review, 'Lego Otaku'! :thumbup:

I really want this set now. I love the intricate detail and the figures, even though I'm not a fan of the LOTR books/movies. I'm definitely going to ask for this set for Christmas. :grin: