Sir von Lego

Pictorial Review of Summer 2012 Star Wars Sets:

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi @ all,

as I said in another thread I was able to buy the new summer wave of Star Wars Sets (yesterday at Legoland Germany).

Here you are (just a few pictures, I won't have the time to review them all with secription):

First of all, the overview. In the following three pictures, you can see the boxes, the instructions with stickers (not too much *liuckily*), Spare Parts and the sets themselves:

spareparts.jpg

boxes1.jpg

instructions1.jpg

overview.jpg

Here you go with the sets in detail:

1. Desert Skiff.

None of these minifigs has a double-printed head. But the figs are AMAZING!

skiff1.jpg

skiff2.jpg

2. Saessee Tiin's Starfighter.

We had a review here, so only one picture:

striker3.jpg

3. Republic Striker Starfighter.

Nice minifigs, but very overpriced for this fighter. I don't like it that much:

striker1.jpg

striker2.jpg

4. Gungan Sub.

Nice details on the minifigs, double sided head for Obi Wan & Qi Gon. AMAZING Queen Amidal. Still way too expensive:

gungansub1.jpg

gungansub2.jpg

gungansub3.jpg

gungansub4.jpg

gungansub5.jpg

gungansub6.jpg

5. Fury Class Fighter.

Great ship, great figs. But pricey:

fury1.jpg

fury2.jpg

fury3.jpg

6. Jabbas Palace.

Fantastic Set, great minifigs, but nearly 20xcent per piece???! For Star Wars fans, let's say: we cannot resist:

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

j5.jpg

j6.jpg

j7.jpg

j8.jpg

j9.jpg

7. Malevolence.

Interesting build (with Fury ship the most interesting build) and "OK" minifigs, nothing too special here.

95151.jpg

95152.jpg

95153.jpg

95154.jpg

95155.jpg

95156.jpg

95157.jpg

New parts? There are a lot of new SNOT-Elements, I forgot to take pictures of all of them, but one here:

newpart.jpg

greetings Hendrik

Thanks for the review, Sir von Lego! :classic: The Skiff and the Palace are definite buys for me, though I'm not a huge fan of the new Jedi Luke torso. (more accurate, I guess, but I'm so used to the old one)

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

You are a lucky guy.

As I suspected the OT sets are the only ones that really interest me.

Jabba's palace is one I've been hoping for since I got the sail barge.

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Thank you for these great pics.

These sets are pretty cool IMO ; Lego did a very good job, excepted on the Starfighter which is kind of meh.

Is it a new part for the seat in the Malevolence ?

Nice pictures! The skiff and Jabba's palace looks nicer than ever, and even the Republic Starfighter (the dark red one) is expensive, I might give in because of all of the dark red. Who knows?

Perhaps a few more Details:

Satele Shan has Black eyes (someone wanted to know this). She has a double-sided Head.

The trooper hasn't one but the face Looks great.

Darth Malgus has a New? cape, smaller (Not shorter) than the normal One with only One hole to hold it.

Sith trooper have angry faces under the helmets...

The whole Wave lives from the minifigs. Although the ships and buildings/ playset are great, too.

To Talk about prices, I really hope, that the prices won't raise anymore for Germany in the next 3-5 years.

70 EUR for ~470 pieces (GunganSub)

40 EUR for ~240 pieces (Jedi Starfighter)

50 EUR for ~380 pieces (Striker Fighter)

And:

140 EUR ~720 pieces (Jabbas Palace).

But, to end with something positive:

It is a Great summer wave and I am now waiting (with no patience) for B-Wing, Palpatines Arrest and a little bit for Pre Vizslas Fighter.

Greetings. Hendrik

Boba has no antenna and Luke has 2 flesh hands...

Anyway, sets look much better than I was expecting - an obscure collection (needed a triple A set) but I'll get them all

Thanks for the pictorial review!

I am wanting Jabba's Palace more and more, especially for those figures! The skiff looks neat too, and again some great figures. I like the looks of the Gungan sub. I think it fits the source material spot on, but I hate that price. I may wait for a sale, but I will probably give in sooner because of Amidala and I don't have the other three figures either, plus their double sided head is brilliant! (I just watched Phantom Menace not too long ago, so this new feature is exciting to see). I like the Sith Fury, but again, I don't like that price so I will definitely pass on the rest of the sets, but may consider Bricklinking a few figures.

It was nice seeing everything close up. You spent a lot of money to acquire these. Enjoy them!

I think I'm more surprised that only half the sets have stickers.

And the Striker Starfighter has printed parts, no Stickers!!

Boba has no antenna and Luke has 2 flesh hands...

Anyway, sets look much better than I was expecting - an obscure collection (needed a triple A set) but I'll get them all

Luke has two flesh hands until one is shot on the sail barge later in the scene.

Those rebreather faces on Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are pretty useless. I wish they'd given Qui-Gon a stern reverse face, but at least his happy one isn't as wacko as Theoden.

I forgot to add: I think that the minifigs in the Gungan Sub looks amazing. (Is Jar Jar the same?) Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's faces look amazing with the things on, and without them. I might pick that one up too. But why is Lego adding random minifigs in sets that can't fit anywhere? Leia in the Y-Wing, now Queen Amidala in the Gungan Sub. Would it be too hard to make a Naboo Palace?

Thank you for the early pictures! :sweet:

Very lucky to have these early!

They all look lovely except the Malevolence..

The breathers on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, plus the amazing Amidala seal the deal for me on the Sub set - I'll buy it at MSRP.

The Skiff set is worth it for the Boba and Sarlacc alone.

The other sets, I'll probably wait for a sale on.

Those rebreather faces on Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are pretty useless. I wish they'd given Qui-Gon a stern reverse face, but at least his happy one isn't as wacko as Theoden.

I'm actually with Hawkman on this - those rebreathers are awesome!! I always love it when I see something unexpected like this.

I forgot to add: I think that the minifigs in the Gungan Sub looks amazing. (Is Jar Jar the same?) Obi-Wan's and Qui-Gon's faces look amazing with the things on, and without them. I might pick that one up too. But why is Lego adding random minifigs in sets that can't fit anywhere? Leia in the Y-Wing, now Queen Amidala in the Gungan Sub. Would it be too hard to make a Naboo Palace?

It seems like minifigures have become a set's side dish rather than its seasoning. My guess is sets that would be appropriate for certain minifigures (in this case, Theed Palace or Yavin Base) are just not do-able for any number of reasons (maybe Lego would rather focus on vehicles and those playsets do not have enough "conflict" or interest that would appeal to both kids and AFOLs). At least this way we don't miss out on a Leia for the Celebration Luke and Han nor do we miss out on the Red Dress Amidala (somewhat iconic given its prominence in Ep 1 merchandise). But that's just speculating....

Also, sets look great. Only interested in Skiff and Palace, but still, very good. Since the Palace price has been a big point of contention, I'm curious if it seems like the set is mostly made up on large, blocky pieces (rather than plates) that may explain some of the pricing. I know a lot probably comes from the specialty minifigure pieces but I still like to think this set isn't too big of a rip-off.