Sign in to follow this  
Brick88

Please stop using "LEGO" as the plural form for LEGO pieces.

After reading this board a bit I've come to the conclusion that I need to educate most people on some basic grammar and trademark principles.

Please do stop using "LEGO" as the plural form for LEGO pieces. Instead of saying "I need a tub to sort all of my LEGO", instead use proper grammar and say "I need a tub to sort all of my LEGO pieces" (or bricks, toys, components, etc.) You are destroying the LEGO trademark by referring to the pieces themselves as "LEGO". If everyone does this, the term "LEGO" will become generic, and other inferior companies will legally be able to produce and sell "LEGO".

LEGO themselves have made this point numerous times. I tracked down a bit of text off of a LEGO box from 1980:

"Dear Parents and Children

The word LEGO® is a brand name and is very special to all of us in the LEGO Group Companies. We would sincerely like your help in keeping it special. Please always refer to our bricks as 'LEGO Bricks or Toys' and not 'LEGOS.' By doing so, you will be helping to protect and preserve a brand of which we are very proud and that stands for quality the world over. Thank you!"

As a personal note, I think it would also be appropriate to call them "LEGO pieces", or "LEGO components", in addition to "LEGO Bricks or Toys".

Thank you for respecting LEGO as a company and abiding by their wishes. Please stop using LEGO (and of course, LEGOS) as the plural form for LEGO pieces. Thank you!

Edited by Brick88

Did you really join just to tell us this? Yes, it can be annoying when people use incorrect grammar, but there's no way to teach everyone the correct use of the LEGO brand name. English is not the native language for many of our members, and I doubt they'd rather be berated for their incorrect grammar than join in the discussions on LEGO brand building blocks. For a time we even had the board automatically correct the word 'Legos' to 'LEGO', but there were problems with that too.

If it's really such a big problem for you, we already have this topic discussing the issue, however old it may be.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, welcome to Eurobricks! As you've already had a look around, why don't you introduce yourself in the Hello, My Name is... forum? :sweet: