Sign in to follow this  
gedren_y

Question about Lego Pens

Are the connection points of the beads from Lego Pens system compatable? I ask because some of the bead pieces look like they would make wonderful detail pieces, and I wanted to know if it would work before I make purchases. Bricklink only has a limited range of beads that are purchasable as separate parts, and the colors I want are nearly all only available as part of the pen sets.

Yes they are compatible. Sometimes they are very tight fit though. Also the size of the elements are not the same as regular plate/brick/minifig etc.

Also, in case that you mind, the minifigs that come in the pens not only have adaptations for the hole of the pen, but they also seem to be made of a different material... In my experience, there's something different about them (I can't point out exactly what), but they feel to be of about lesser quality than regular minifigs.

Actually, I have no interest in the minifigs that come on the pens, just the detail pieces. Only the R2-D2 pens appear to be not so far off the mark.

I do Sci-Fi but I don't do Star Wars. I like to make my own mythology. If I do get the pens I want, I will probably offer up the pen-figures up for trade. I will keep any capes, though.

The LEGO pens are definitely of far worse quality than any other LEGO parts, but yes, they are compatible.

Is it ABS too? The material does feel of a different quality, but I'm not sure if it's the plastic.

No, it's a much more brittle plastic.

Thanks. Well, the good side is that if it was regular ABS, pens would probably be wayyy more expensive.

It could potentially be ABS, but it's sure not the formulation of it that LEGO uses.

I see many of the people have mentioned their compatibility. Here are just a few qualifiers that jump to my mind that I think should me mentioned.

1. Yes it's true that the segment pieces are often a very tight fit. However the can also be a ridiculously loose fit depending on the age of the pen/era. And proportionately since the hole on the bottom is tight, the matching stud on the top is slightly smaller/loose.

2. The legs and torso of characters included... Don't quite fit normal people. It will go in most the way but then is stuck with around 3/4 of a plate left to go and starts to bend the legs for an insecure fit. Also the arms will be loose (and if I recall are very hard to remove).

3. The pen actual pen mechanical pieces... The rod/ink cartridge is difficult because it is thinner than a bar. The White click mechanism that looks like it would make a beautiful flamethrower nozzle is a pain to connect to anything, and the spring is very useful (as it can perfectly circumscribe a stud width).

(as can be see in various MOCs we have created, we love dismantling the pen pieces and find most of their parts very useful especially the rubber grip :D)

But the above are just some things to be aware of :)

Anyways hope this helps!

Edited by Siercon and Coral