LEGO Train 12 Volts

MOD: Train Turntable Platform

I would like to share some pictures of my last MOD to one of my favorite Blokbricks original project: The Turntable Platform. :classic:

platform-012.jpg

I needed to power a rotating platform with 4 straight elements instead of 2 to store my long steam locomotives. :sweet:

platform-001.jpg

I have used a double system of gears with a lever selector and a powerful 12 volt motor.

platform-006.jpg

Enjoy the pictures and the video :laugh:

platform-002.jpg

platform-003.jpg

platform-004.jpg

platform-005.jpg

platform-007.jpg

platform-008.jpg

platform-009.jpg

platform-010.jpg

platform-011.jpg

I find this ingenious LT12V. The mechanism is just amazing. I'm trying to figure out how the gears work and it's beyond me. Nevertheless, great design and I like the addition of the small building and scene. It's really neat to watch the video as well. :thumbup:

Looks really neat! I've always wanted to build one myself but never considered using string to move the actual platform!

How high is the table ff the ground and what run up do the longer wheel base engines need to get up onto it? I like the idea but have found that long trains especially steam engines seem to ground out quite easily even just going up one plate at a time. I wonder how you have overcome this.

The Brickster is right...absolutely INGENIOUS!! Amazing overall design, I especially like that you left the gearing exposed..gives it a industrial feel, really showing showing what it would take to move those huge heavy engines.

Another Fantastic build LT12V.

I'm trying to figure out how the gears work and it's beyond me. Nevertheless, great design and I like the addition of the small building and scene. :thumbup:

They are only two simple specular system of gears. Thanks for your compliments! :classic:

I've always wanted to build one myself but never considered using string to move the actual platform!

How high is the table of the ground?

Only a plate on a baseplate. The central pivot is a turntable plate. The string is the only way to move the platform without rising

I especially like that you left the gearing exposed..gives it a industrial feel

Another Fantastic build LT12V.

Thank you very much for your kind words Stacker! :blush:

Only a plate on a baseplate. The central pivot is a turntable plate. The string is the only way to move the platform without rising

Great idea! Have not seen a turntable this flat - that is a great advantage over other designs I have seen.

Great idea! Have not seen a turntable this flat - that is a great advantage over other designs I have seen.

Amazing, I've been playing around with this in LDD, with a motor underneath the turntable, but you always run into the problem that it will be raised a couple of bricks. This is a brilliant way to solve this. Now to find a way with string AND going full circle :sceptic:

I'm trying to figure out how the gears work and it's beyond me. Nevertheless, great design and I like the addition of the small building and scene. :thumbup:

They are only two simple specular system of gears. Thanks for your compliments! :classic:

May I assume that by pulling the lever, only 1 of the two gear trains is running ?

Which would in turn mean that you are winding up 1 spool and the other spool is wound out by itself because of the turntable pulling on it ?

Or am I completely missing something here ? default_wacko.gif

That's a really nice design. Amazing you got it so low.

And very ingenious to put the rotation centre not in the middle of the moving track. That gives you the same angles but with a longer moving track. Great!

May I assume that by pulling the lever, only 1 of the two gear trains is running ?

Which would in turn mean that you are winding up 1 spool and the other spool is wound out by itself because of the turntable pulling on it ?

Or am I completely missing something here ? default_wacko.gif

This is correct, when the first string is pulled by the motor the second one is free to be released from the reel.

The release is gradual because the inertia of the gears prevent to unwind the string too quickly ...simple but effective :wink:

All the best

LT12V

P.S.

Thank you all for the compliments ...much appreciated! :blush: