Mister Phes

New Pirate Smileys

Is is the Red Beard Smiley -> :rb:

I've have no contact with Webtechie yet, but the smileys used at PirateBricks.com are a different style to the ones here and that would look inconsistent. Well I think anyway.

But as for an Admiral smiley, that's something we probably should have.

Is is the Red Beard Smiley -> :rb:

I've have no contact with Webtechie yet, but the smileys used at PirateBricks.com are a different style to the ones here and that would look inconsistent. Well I think anyway.

But as for an Admiral smiley, that's something we probably should have.

What about him: :capn:

The Red Beard smilie on piratebricks had a bicorn hat and wasn't "bald." X-D

Is it just me or does this guy |-/ kind of look like this head? 3626bpb178.gif

BTW, this code X-O does not make this smilie oh3.gif appear for me. It was working before the new smilies.

What about him: :capn:

He actually looks better. Maybe we should scrap :rb: because :capn: is very similar but looks better.

X-O

The Red Beard smilie on piratebricks had a bicorn hat and wasn't "bald." X-D

Is it just me or does this guy |-/ kind of look like this head?

3626bpb178.gif

BTW, this code X-O does not make this smilie oh3.gif appear for me. It was working before the new smilies.

That particular code is not assigned to the Pirate Smiley Set, so what I'll do is design a pirate smiley especially for that expression and give it that code.

oh3.gif vs X-O

I've attempted to make this smiley cross between the existing "shocked" smiley and a Spanish Pirate.

Pirate_green_shirt5.jpg

How well does it work?

Awsome. Though, are they just standard smilies? With a smile, or a different emotion. I can't tell really. But they are reeaaly good nonetheless!

The shocked face looks perfect in my opinion!

Standard smileys?

:armada1: :armada2: :armada3:

None of the standard smileys have facial hair! Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by " Though, are they just standard smilies? With a smile, or a different emotion" because they didn't exist until yesterday.

Anyway, I don't think we need :armada1: and :armada3: because they are very similar, I only added both so you lads could compare them and then choose one.

I don't even see a difference between the two. Meaning as standard, I mean plain, with not much expression going on. The one in the middle is good though. Well, whatever the difference is, I like the one on the far left, or just left.

There is hardly any difference between :armada1: and :armada3: but you say you like :armada1: the best?

And yes they are all plain and expressionless. They're just the standard faces, it would be quite ambitious to put expression on their faces because with the facial hair and eye brows there's not much space left.

:armada1: is my favourite of those two.

The other armada guy looks very great too!

Though I don't really like X-O, I think his face looks somewhat overloaded. This expression would look better in a face with less facial hair so it would be clearer what exactly the smilie means.

BTW, don't forget to replace the standard Post Icons with some decent pirate smilies! ;-)

Yes, I agree that X-O doesn't look right.

So getting this oh3.gif smiley sorted out is my first step towards replacing the remaining standard smileys.

As for the post icons, Brick Miner designed some for the Pirate forum a couple of months ago so I'll add those very soon.

Here are some updates:

armada_pirate1.gif revised to X-O

angry.gif vs >:-(

One major change I've made is these two smileys are 2 whole pixels taller than the others, so does it work or do they look too tall?

I think those new ones look too tall. I like the design of >:-( but X-O looks even worse than armada_pirate1.gif, which I don't like in the first place. I suggest making a short moustache and spreading the eyes apart futher. But why is there two; X-O X-O .

And of course, I like :armada1: better than :armada3:

And I still don't see why we need both of these; :pirate3: :pirate2:

I have dared to make >:-( wide rather than shorter. I'll take as much space as I can get away with.

As well taking Oo7's suggestions into account for this fellow X-O

I think this fellow :pirate2: is supposed to be a pirate and this fellow :pirate3: is supposed to be an Imperial Guard commander. However, the difference is almost unnoticeable so something will be done to make them look more different.

I seem to have fixed the double of X-O.

Personally, I liked the old X-O . This one >:-( is good, but seems too improportionate to the other ones. The beared is dotted= :pirate2: , the beared is stripped= :pirate3: .

X-O Muy bien! *y*

The beared is dotted= :pirate2: , the beared is stripped= :pirate3: .

I see the physical difference, I just don't see the reason for two different smilies that are so similar.

Personally, I liked the old X-O . This one >:-( is good, but seems too improportionate to the other ones. The beared is dotted= :pirate2: , the beared is stripped= :pirate3: .

Perhaps I should make them all slightly larger, but only if the larger size is appropriate.

You could, but for me it'd take a while to get used to larger fig heads, especially with the rest of the websites smilies. I think the smilies are good as they are, except for the improportionate ones. Something like this: :-) >:-( :-) : seems that together, it looks odd( at least for me anyway X-D ). Plus, to resize many instead to resize few.

pirate2.gif + look.gif = 8-|

pirate3.gif + cry4.gif = :-|

And I've made :'-( for good measure

You could, but for me it'd take a while to get used to larger fig heads, especially with the rest of the websites smilies. I think the smilies are good as they are, except for the improportionate ones. Something like this: :-) >:-( :-) : seems that together, it looks odd( at least for me anyway X-D ). Plus, to resize many instead to resize few.

If all the smileys were the same size you wouldn't notice so much. But the point of the larger size is to allow for more detail because its hard to give the smiley an expression and a Pirate theme because there's not enough space to incorporate both. So if the larger were sized down they'd lose some of their detail which I don't really want.

So here I am face with a predicament!

That is true. Such complex smilies the pirate theme has X-D . Well, I'm not saying the large fig heads are bad, they're good, really good. Maybe it's just because there are the large heads and small heads put together that makes them look different. I wouldn't mind having the large heads :-) .

They'd all be the same size after I got round to editing them. But before I do that I'd like a variety of opinions.

So here's the larger ones in a row...

>:-( 8-| :'-( :-| X-O

pirate2.gif + look.gif = 8-|

pirate3.gif + cry4.gif = :-|

And I've made :'-( for good measure

You got the :-| and the :'-( switched there mate. The big smilies are good but I'm fine with the small ones too.

I'm glad you finally got rid of those scalped rebeards and made way for Brick Miner's Icons.