wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I think all of the sets look alright individually. My only critique is that as a collection, they all look the same, and sort of monochrome -- namely mostly fights with orcs on top of piles of grey rocks/stone walls. I think they might have deferred releasing one of these sets in favor of a second peaceful set with a bit of color in it (Maybe something like leaving Lothlorien in the elven boats, or one of the numerous forest scenes) just to add some variety. But of course this is just the first wave, and the unofficial pictures might not give the best representation of the actual sets.

I have to agree with you here. The sets all seem to have battles and ambushes in them, and though that is what makes LEGO 'exciting', there are many other exciting scenes that don't involve fighting in the series. Take the Hobbit, for instance. The scenes with Smaug would make great sets, no matter most of them don't involve fighting.

I have also to agree here. But it was very very clever to start with simple-going buildings, rocks, ruins and caves. Now it is enough time to mold new elements/bricks for the difficult buildings a'la Minas Morgul or the Black Gate. Colorful buildings also (see Rivendell, the Shire, Lothlorien or Edoras). Damn, I think the Golden Hall (for example) would be a amazing exclusive set with wonderful collectable minifigures for our older ones :wink: . I see the pompous throne room with these green horse flags :wub: . (Ok, enough wishful thinking XD )

Back to the first wave: Yes, a bit more colors would be possible:

Hmmm... let us take a look to the Mines of Moria. IF LEGO in future not to be willing to produce a Gate of Moria with watcher set. -Than it would be plausible to give the back side of the doors at Balin's tomb in the dark shiny stickers ("the door shines in starlight and moonlight"). So would get this set a bit more color (IF LEGO does not create a complete Moria Gate set in the future, who knows).

Nazgul Attack at Weather top: As I said before, the thing with the shiny Witchking with Morgul Blade. That shiny guy would give this set also a bit color. ^^

Shelob Attacks: Also an shiny option. Yes here in Middle-earth shines everywhere. :grin:

Let us talk about Frodos sword Sting and the Phial of Galadriel. I hope LEGO can create these things so -that these can also in the dark shine. That would be for kids and also for me amazing. XD

Helm's Deep: ...phu, very difficult. Here are all rocks and walls grey and it shines nothing. The only colors have these siege engines.

hd91.jpg

Here at this image I want to show you these large ladders. One of these large ledders needs a separate sling engine for the clamping device. Additional to the smaller brown ladders for the depending wall would this set get 1x brown sling engine and 1x brown large ladder. ...oh, I've forgotten the battering ram. (Damn, with all these special features could that set go into LEGO's Hall of Fame *huh* )

->In summery 4x brown objects. More isn't possible.

Gandalf Arrives: Here are colors enough. But someone had an nice idea concerning Frodo. He could stand by an small tree with an book in his hands. Nice idea, but that set would getting more expensive.

I was just looking at the new review of the Collectible Minifigures Series 6, and I was looking at the Celtic Warrior's sword. Does anyone else think that this sword could be used for Aragorn/Boromir/Gandalf/Nazgul? I also did notice on the prelims that the Nazgul in the Weathertop set both have what looks like a dark bley sword, but in the design of the classic chrome ones. Also, the Nazgul on the left of the box (on the rearing horse) has a sword that is a bit more pointy that the others. Also, Aragorn has the same dark bley sword in Helm's Deep. Could this celtic longsword be a new mould for this theme?

Yes, I like that sword. I think also we will see that sword for Aragorn/Boromir/Gandalf/Nazgul in grey/dark grey or black colors.

EDIT: Here a good image for that sword:

Celtic_Warrior.jpg

Edited by Elander

I was just looking at the new review of the Collectible Minifigures Series 6, and I was looking at the Celtic Warrior's sword. Does anyone else think that this sword could be used for Aragorn/Boromir/Gandalf/Nazgul? I also did notice on the prelims that the Nazgul in the Weathertop set both have what looks like a dark bley sword, but in the design of the classic chrome ones. Also, the Nazgul on the left of the box (on the rearing horse) has a sword that is a bit more pointy that the others. Also, Aragorn has the same dark bley sword in Helm's Deep. Could this celtic longsword be a new mould for this theme?

I just noticed, this looks like no lego sword I recall, infact i think the the shapes look like THIS

swordc.jpg

I know this isn't consistent with the timeline of the movies but still, it doesent look like the celcic sword when u look closely.

Might very well jsut but the compression on the image messing it up, time will tell :hmpf: .

I hope they dont use the celtic sword for anyone cause most/all the sword in the movies are flater and sleeker.

Edited by deskp

I just noticed, this looks like no lego sword I recall, infact i think the the shapes look like THIS

swordc.jpg

I know this isn't consistent with the timeline of the movies but still, it doesent look like the celcic sword when u look closely.

Might very well jsut but the compression on the image messing it up, time will tell :hmpf: .

It would be great if the sword was Anduril, but Aragorn didn't have it during that battle in the movies, so it's inclusion would make little sense. Still, maybe LEGO will just give it to him anyway, and save having to make the piece later.

Do you think LEGO will all these swords for the different characters Aragorn/Gandalf/Nazgul... new mold? *huh*

Do you think LEGO will all these swords for the different characters Aragorn/Gandalf/Nazgul... new mold? *huh*

Not personally. I bet Aragorn and Frodo will get new swords (at the very least old molds with new colors), but everyone else will get swords from molds LEGO already has in existence.

I really want a new mace and helm for the witch king in the ROTK. That would knock my socks off.

Edited by BTappel

Sadly no, but you can see how one good mold can be enought for quite a few swords.

1 All these could use one sword

Boromir, Gandalf, Aragorn, Faramir, nazguls

2Same with these.

Eowyn, Theoden, Eomer aswell as generic Rohan soldier sword

Edited by deskp

Not personally. I bet Aragorn and Frodo will get new swords (at the very least old molds with new colors), but everyone else will get swords from molds LEGO already has in existence.

I really want a new mace and helm for the witch king in the ROTK. That would knock my socks off.

Sadly no, but you can see how one good sword can be enought for quite a few swords.

Boromir, Gandalf, Aragorn, Faramir

I could see LEGO making new moulds for Anduril, Sting, Glamdring and maybe Orcrist (Thorin's sword in the Hobbit), but that would be it for swords. As for the Witch-King's flail and helm, they would have to make new moulds, at least for the helm. The flail could possibly be brick built.

Sadly no, but you can see how one good mold can be enought for quite a few swords.

Boromir, Gandalf, Aragorn, Faramir, nazguls

Eowyn, Theoden, Eomer

Wow, very good images!

I think all the other characters could also get new molds. For Legolas a special bow, for the Witchking (I hope so for a shiny version :hmpf: Morgul blade, RotK: yes @Fives: Helmet, sword and spiked mace)...

...and for Boromir the Horn of Gondor :sweet:

BoromirHorn.jpg

I'm guessing these folks will get that Gladiator minifig sword and that we will see the Highlander minifig sword somewhere in the line.

I actually think the Gladiator sword would make a fair Sting and hobbit-sword.

Here* I've found images for the Morgul blade:

Wow, in that case would LEGO create 2x Morgul blades. 1x for the Witchking in demon style and 1x in classic black style (without helmet). The Witchking returns with helmet in Return of the King. For that version I'm very excited! That helmet is very difficult to mold. This thing could look too big for the LEGO minifigure?!

"Collectable Minifigures": If that slogan really means that we will not see double minifigures a'la Harry Potter, Indiana Jones & co. so will every minifigure (main character) have his one's own nature (feature).

At the first wave we see 3x Frodos:

-Shelob Attacks: Frodo in spider web outfit and unconscious/pensive face

-Gandalf Arrives: Frodo in green and classic/happy

-and so looks Frodo after he is stabbed: :sweet:

i286543348_48679.jpg

*EDIT: For the images please scroll down.

Edited by Elander

I think that we will see all new weapons in this theme, except for bows.

We will have to get new Uruk swords, and as for normal Mordor orcs and Goblins, a simple scimitar that is less cartoonish than the Castle Troll sword.

As for Rohan, they could make just one new mould that could be used for both heroes and soldiers. The same could be done for Gondor and the Elves.

Gimli could get a new axe head piece, that LEGO could just re-use for the multiple axes in Gimli's arsenal.

Legolas could possibly get some new special white knives.

As for Aragorn, Anduril would be necessary, but his plain ranger sword could be the same as Boromir's.

Gandalf would need a special mould for Glamdring.

The Hobbits could get a simple new mould, for Sam, Merry and Pippin, and a new mould for Sting.

Here* I've found images for the Morgul blade:

Wow, in that case would LEGO create 2x Morgul blades. 1x for the Witchking in demon style and 1x in classic black style (without helmet). The Witchking returns with helmet in Return of the King. For that version I'm very excited! That helmet is very difficult to mold. This thing could look too big for the LEGO minifigure?!

I don't think it will be that difficult. Rather than have the helmet on its own we'll probally get a detailed piece where its sculpted onto the hood. Kind of like the Jack Sparrow hairpiece with the hat/bandanna.

That said I'm looking forward to the day when he and Eowyn come in the inevitable fell beast set. I think a blonde version of the Elizabeth Swann hair would be perfect for her.

I think that we will see all new weapons in this theme, except for bows.

We will have to get new Uruk swords, and as for normal Mordor orcs and Goblins, a simple scimitar that is less cartoonish than the Castle Troll sword.

As for Rohan, they could make just one new mould that could be used for both heroes and soldiers. The same could be done for Gondor and the Elves.

Gimli could get a new axe head piece, that LEGO could just re-use for the multiple axes in Gimli's arsenal.

Legolas could possibly get some new special white knives.

As for Aragorn, Anduril would be necessary, but his plain ranger sword could be the same as Boromir's.

Gandalf would need a special mould for Glamdring.

The Hobbits could get a simple new mould, for Sam, Merry and Pippin, and a new mould for Sting.

Getting all those new weapons would be almost as cool as getting the minifigs themselves but I'm not holding my breath for them until we see some finished and ready for mass production shots.

I'm hoping for some Rohan swords at least, I have long wanted to see a sword without the big handguards.

As for the other swords, the old chrome sword and new highlander longsword would be OK for Andúril/Narsil, Glamdring and Boromir's sword in my view, with the gladius for the Hobbits. Only Sting merits a new mold. Of course, if TLG does new molds, I won't complain. :sweet:

Just for speculation and comparison.

-Prince of persia had 12 new Molds.

-Pirates of the caribbean had 16 new molds.

-So far we have seen 10 new molds for Lord of the rings (these are the one that for sure are in the preliminary pictures. Elf hair, Gimli helmet, theoden helmet and the one ring not included cause the images are too blurry too be sure. its 14 if you include them)

Keep in mind nothing is confirmed yet!

1 gandalf beard

2 hobbit hair

3 horse

4 cave troll

5 goblin hair

6 gollum

7 uruk hai hair

8 uruk-hai shield

9 uruk hai helmet

10 Eomer helmet

11 Theoden helmet (This might be Eomer helmet in another color)

12 The one ring ("Shelob attacks" gold stuf in frodos hand is propably a stand in for this.)

13 elf/legolas hair

14 Gimli helmet

POP minifigures 16

POTC minifigures 30

LOTR minifigures so far21 Troll included.

Edited by deskp

You're right if you say that every orc has a another look. In that case must a orc impulse set have changeable options. For example: 2x different faces + 2x diff. helmets + 3x body options(2x diff. armors, 1x torso look) + 3x weapon options (lance, sword and targe, bow and arrow)

= 2 x 2 x 3 x 3 = 36 variant types of orcs.

If you look at the PotC sets, they used three zombie pirates in several sets. I think this will be the same possibility for LotR. Maybe TLC will surpirse us with 4 or 5 orc/uruk type faces and 2 or 3 goblin faces. Enough variety to make a nice army (especially with the white hand print on the face)

If you look at the PotC sets, they used three zombie pirates in several sets. I think this will be the same possibility for LotR. Maybe TLC will surpirse us with 4 or 5 orc/uruk type faces and 2 or 3 goblin faces. Enough variety to make a nice army (especially with the white hand print on the face)

Potc only has 4 zombies , and only 2 of them really does anything in the story.

For the first wave I think the orc options will be very limited if "orc forge" is coming then im guessing 2 orcs. If next lotr wave focuses on ROTK then I think we'll see similar options what we've seen of the uruk-hai.

I hope for a lot of battle packs (as it seems 2011/2012 is the year of SW battle packs) to increase army size easily.

Here are some suggestions:

Moria Goblin Battle pack

4 Moria Goblins, 2 with bows and 2 with swords (in both hands)

As a piece of scenery: a pilar of Moria's mine

Helm's Deep defender Battle pack

1 Elven archer, 2 Gondorian soldiers with shield and sword, 1 Rohan Rider on a horse

As a piece of scenery: a piece of wall

Helm's Deep attack Battle pack

4 Uruk-Hai, 2 with spears and 2 with swords

As a piece of scenery: a ladder and a ram

More idea's to come later :cry_happy: let the battle begin

Does anyone know for sure that the Elf in the helms deep set is Legolas and not Haldir? I expect it will be Legolas but you never know.

Look at the head, you'll see some kind of helmet. Legolas doesn't wear a helmet so I expect it to be Haldir or another elven warrior.

Just for speculation and comparison.

-Prince of persia had 12 new Molds.

-Pirates of the caribbean had 16 new molds.

-So far we have seen 10 new molds for Lord of the rings (these are the one that for sure are in the preliminary pictures. Elf hair, Gimli helmet, theoden helmet and the one ring not included cause the images are too blurry too be sure. its 14 if you include them)

Keep in mind nothing is confirmed yet!

1 gandalf beard

2 hobbit hair

3 horse

4 cave troll

5 goblin hair

6 gollum

7 uruk hai hair

8 uruk-hai shield

9 uruk hai helmet

10 Eomer helmet

11 Theoden helmet (This might be Eomer helmet in another color)

12 The one ring ("Shelob attacks" gold stuf in frodos hand is propably a stand in for this.)

13 elf/legolas hair

14 Gimli helmet

POP minifigures 16

POTC minifigures 30

LOTR minifigures so far21 Troll included.

I also expect some extra weapons (look at the sword the Ringwraith is wielding in the prelim picture) and I really hope they make new molds of the Uruk swords

Lego might try and use as much pre-2012 designed Kingdom's part as possible to keep costs down hence we are seeing the collectable minifigs come out with fantasy/medieval figures and weapons/shields which might find there way into LOTR. :wink:

Respectfully, I would never consider hair or a horse mold to be made for LOTR. But they will likely make their dubut in those sets.

Sure the hair may be designed for one of the characters but it will find its way into sets from almost any theme. The new horses will also be found in almost every other theme.

I agree with Ardelon. I don't think they are going to be making new molds of every weapon. TLC can just change the color of certain weapons to make them a bit more special as well. Black swords for the wraiths vs silvery ones for aragorn and boromir as an example.

Here is a little lego sword mold history for some perspective. For brevity, I am going to stick with ancient/medieval type swords. I will break this into the first 30 years of LEGO and the last 5 years.

In 1978 we got the first Lego sword, the good old classic shortsword. It took 18 years until 1995 for them to make the broadsword.

3847a.jpg?059.jpg?1

We got a Katana in 1998 with the release of Ninja sets. In 2003 we got a scimitar for middle eastern troops. In 2004 we got the ill advised (IMHO) angular greatsword.

30173.jpg?0x260.jpg?048495.jpg?0

Over the first 30 years 5 swords were made. 3 of which we could consider western swords, 1 middle eastern, and 1 far eastern.

I the last 5 years things have picked up tremendously.

In 2007 we got the scythe sword for the skeletons. In 2008 we got the scimitar for the trolls.

59229.jpg?060752.jpg?0

In 2011 we got 4 new swords: dragon guard katana, gladius, khopesh, and heroica sword.

93055.jpg?195673.jpg?393247.gif?194158c.jpg?1

In 2012 we will be getting the celtic warrior sword and I would imagine some new molds for LOTR.

In conclusion from 2007 to 2012 (not including LOTR) we have gotten 3 western type swords, 1 middle eastern, 1 far eastern, and 2 fantasy swords. That is more than the first 30 years combined. I for one am very happy with TLG for all of the new goodies they have been sharing with us. Any new LOTR molds are just going to be icing on an already great cake!

Edited by DaleDVM

I hope for a lot of battle packs (as it seems 2011/2012 is the year of SW battle packs) to increase army size easily.

Here are some suggestions:

Moria Goblin Battle pack

4 Moria Goblins, 2 with bows and 2 with swords (in both hands)

As a piece of scenery: a pilar of Moria's mine

Helm's Deep defender Battle pack

1 Elven archer, 2 Gondorian soldiers with shield and sword, 1 Rohan Rider on a horse

As a piece of scenery: a piece of wall

Helm's Deep attack Battle pack

4 Uruk-Hai, 2 with spears and 2 with swords

As a piece of scenery: a ladder and a ram

More idea's to come later :cry_happy: let the battle begin

These sound amazing, they remind me of the 6105 medieval knights battlepack, I wish they would really happen.

Will the Orc Forge set not be based on the montage of the Orcs and Urak-hi in Isengard before Helm's Deep, in which the swords are being made and they're all being imprinted with the white hand?