wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

The Mines Of Moria is a must have for me! It looks so fantastc! I am also really happy with the design of Helms Deep, less BURP's more actual pieces.

I did not like the horses at first, but it seems that LEGO is keeping both types of horses, therefore when we can finally make the battle of Pelenor Fields we won't just have boring horses.

It is going to take a long time to gather up the money to buy all these sets :tongue:

God I hope those aren't new horse molds . . . talk about a waste.

I hope LEGO takes the time to create new molds for Gondorian and Rohirrim armor. From the look of the Rohirrim, it seems like they are reusing old helmets (except for the one fig).

I think that there will be old helmets for the normal men of Rohan and a new one you would think to separate the Eorlingas.

all in all good sets, not great, with a decent number of figs in each, mines would be my favorite, would have like to have seen a couple more trolls instead of those skeletons, oh well can't win em all :hmpf_bad:

only one troll in that scene of the film so I think this is good, i agree about skeletons, we've all got loads, give us an extra couple of goblins!

These are great sets, and I'm probably going to buy them all, but I don't see any from the Hobbit. Isn't this why Lego is doing LoTR? For the Hobbit?

These are great sets, and I'm probably going to buy them all, but I don't see any from the Hobbit. Isn't this why Lego is doing LoTR? For the Hobbit?

These sets come out in June/May, the Hobbit film comes out in December, therefore we will see the Hobbit sets in December or January I think.

Pretty cool, LEGO LOTR.

Although the miniselection is a bit amiss. And I wonder about prizes.

Attack at Weathertop should be more 5 wraiths, aragorn + 4 hobbits. Period.

Gandalf on Cart = Must Have

edit: moria seems good, white cave troll needs colouring. ;)

Also: the way the sets are represented does remind me of how Games Workshop released them for their miniature game.

Edited by horizon

Wow Helms deep is suprisingly good and its still just a prelim the tower should be on the left side though! ALSO is that elf Haldir?? red cape no green on him = propably not Legolas!haldirmaybe.jpg

I was really expectin gandalf arriving to include a hobbit hole, but good to see them using a new beard mold for gandalf!

For a lego spider shelob looks nice, much scarier than the ususal lego spider.

Is Uruk hai army set supposed to be an expansion to helms deep? the new horses looks cool but maybe they would have been better with hinged legs like the new bears?

The horse rider in this set looks like Eomer to me! lets hope

Edited by deskp

I'm loving these pics, especially Helm's Deep - much better than I had expected, to be honest. A very nice, solid construction. And the fact that they are releasing what looks to be an expansion to it in the same wave is simply awesome. Of course it's not as elegant as some AFOL creations we've seen, but when are they ever? I've seen pirate ship MOCs on EB that blow every pirate ship ever released by TLG out of the water in one shot. We don't condemn the official ship sets for that, do we?

Shelob looks pretty meh, but I was expecting that. At least she looks better than Aragog.

The Mines of Moria doesn't look as cool as I thought it would, but the pics make it very hard to tell. This could be a solid set. At least there's a nice range of minifigs there. And thank goodness they didn't try to squeeze the Balrog in. It would have sucked. Now we can hope for a nice future set that is all Balrog, done right.

Weathertop is the big surprise for me here. It looks awesome! Totally recognizable as Weathertop, and a fun set. And now I will have spiral stairs.... mwah ha ha!

The horsies, the horsies... as long as they keep putting out the regular horses in addition, I will be happy. Finally, a horse in an action pose! Simply awesome.

Orc Forge is still MIA, which to me implies that I was right to think it's an impulse.

All in all, I must say, I'm pretty impressed. For whatever reason, I had it in my head that these would look absolutely nothing like traditional castle, and that's not necessarily true. Helm's Deep could still co-exist in a layout with, say, a lion's castle if it had to.

New horses are kinda weird-- they look like plastic screenshots from a Lego game, haha. (suddenly imagining a LOTR Lego game, WOW)

I guess what surprises me the most is that these pics feature very few new parts-- I imagined TONS of new weapons, specifically, but the hobbits are using traditional Castle swords, the Nazgul both have the Highlander's sword, the orcs are all using existing halberds, etc. Now, if you ask me, these are all placeholder weapons-- seems inconceivable that TLG won't make a square Uruk-hai sword, or even a new hat for Gandalf...

But at first glance, I'm pretty impressed-- I was debating skipping this line but will probably jump at a few, especially for a few Nazgul...

Those pics look amazing - Helm's Deep and several of the Uruk-hai Army are a must-buy, Moria and Weathertop are great too, rest is OK.

Is Uruk hai army set supposed to be an expansion to helms deep?

I think it is - which would make it even better as an army builder. Agreed on Haldir too, that would be great. BTW, anybody else notice that the picture for the 9476 The Orc Forge is missing?

Any speculation on the prices so far? Helm's Deep is definitely a 119-129 euro set, Moria should be about 70-80, Uruk-hai Army and Weathertop 30-40, Shelob about 20-30 and Gandalf Arrives about 10-15.

Decent sets overall.

9469 Gandalf Arrives - no surprises, it's fine as it is. Let's hope it's cheap ($10 would be a treat, probably $15 though...)

9470 Shelob Attacks - minifigs are OK, Shelob also looks good, but it's still just a giant spider, so I will skip this one.

9471 Uruk-hai Army - I like this one! Plenty of figures, even the ballista and the wall section have good, usable parts. Hoping it costs no more than $40, then it's excellent value for money.

9472 Attack On Weathertop - the scene was important enough to make into a set, but this version is oversized with too many rocks. Figures are OK again, I like the wraiths, but nothing extra. Probably not worth it, I don't like buying rocks in the licensed price range.

9473 Mines Of Moria - good one. I like the surroundings, the figs are nice too, but one more goblin would have been welcome (instead of one of the skellies). I like that some of the main characters are missing, less doubles this way.

9474 The Battle Of Helms Deep - looks good, too, the fortress is very recognizable, the Uruk Hai army is fearsome, but I miss some common soldiers (hint: buy 9471 too :)). Probably going to be expensive though. Any less than $140 and it's a steal.

Edit: now that we are 3 pages away, I repeat the link to the pics:

http://www.lordofthebrick.com/

Edited by Stiel

I have to admit, the pics surprise me. It's looking better than I expected. Look at all those figs :wub: . This'll be an expensive line for sure. Are prices known yet?

Any speculation on the prices so far? Helm's Deep is definitely a 119-129 euro set, Moria should be about 70-80, Uruk-hai Army and Weathertop 30-40, Shelob about 20-30 and Gandalf Arrives about 10-15.

My speculation: 15 for the small set, 25-30 for Shelob, 40-50 for the Uruk Hai army, 50-60 for the weathertop (compare the box size with the army!), Moria 80-100, Helm's Deep 120-140. That said, we don't know the price of the LotR license for sure, maybe it's cheaper than SW. It would be nice.

Edit: now that I took a look at PotC sets' prices, I would say 12 for Gandalf, 20 for Shelob, 40 for the Uruk Hai army, 50 for Weathertop.

Edited by Stiel

Attack on Weathertop: Not a bad scaling down of the hill. I wonder whether the Black Riders will have both legs for riding and a slope skirt for wondering around on foot? Just legs would be looking a bit silly. A other dimension white ghost Nazgûl would have looked cool, but their playability would be restricted more or less to this scene, so I do understand why Lego choose to not include any of them.

I think a white ghost Nazgul would be a special addition for this set. :) Why should this figure not be playable?

Well well, so far so good! :thumbup:

I would say the sets hit the nail on the head as for the feel of the movies, and they even include more minifigures than I would have imagined initially!

The Uruk Hai Army set in particular is quite the gem; great shields, figures and a lot of uruk hai! (6 figures + horse for a medium set is quite good!)Is it just me or are they attacking a Mitgardian outpost?? :grin:

I like that the new "bricks brick" is included in light bley; this will be incredibly useful to castle MOC'ers!

As for the new horse mold, I think it's mighty fine. Now we can build a lot more action-based cavalry scenes and of course the new nougat color is a treat.

I can't wait to see better pictures, particularly of the Goblins in the mines of Moria set, as well as the missing set (Ork forge?) When potc came out there were 8 sets, so I can imagine we'll be seeing at least one more medium set coming up. :sweet:

As for the new horse mold, I think it's mighty fine. Now we can build a lot more action-based cavalry scenes and of course the new nougat color is a treat.

Are we sure it's a new horse mold and not just some CGI to spice up the box art?

Are we sure it's a new horse mold and not just some CGI to spice up the box art?

We cant be 100% sure, but as far as i know they have never morphed the shapes oof pices on box art to make it look cooler before, would be misleading.

Also there are horses like this in 2 of the images. (Also batman sets have all cgi box art but all the pieces are their natural shapes)

I just noticed the microfigures in weathertop used as sculpture/relief seems like a moc thing to do, good on TLC!

Edited by deskp

Anything shown on the box has to be representative of what's inside so no morphing, otherwise trading standards will have a moan and then there is a packaging change (expensive and pointless!)

Lego are quite hot on that.

Prices will make or break this range so i hope a lot of sense goes into this. If it's overpriced then people will only buy stuff in the sales, meaning less profit and no future listings from retailers who have lost something on their margin.

I think a realistic price will be

Gandalfs cart £9.99-12.99

Wethertop £39.99

Helms Deep £102.99

Moria £72.99

Uruk-Hai army £24.99

Some might think these prices are too low but i genuinely think Helms deep will be comparable in terms of piece and figure count to Hogwarts Castle. and Moria close to the Batcave and Burrow sets.

Now I know these are just preliminary... but...

Wow, a new horse mold was my first impression! My second was of great enthusiasm.

The new horse mold has a bigger impact on us all since it will change many historic themes forever. LOTR is with us for just a few years after all. I would have preferred the horse to be posable in some way. Being able to change the angle at which it is rearing up would have been nice. However, I am happy that I can bring some life to my very stale looking cavalry units. I am also very happy about the tan horse. Sweet! Now you have to make the old horse in tan as well. Thank you LEGO.

Gandalf Arrives: Cute little set. Nice plain cart which is exactly what it was in the movie. Nice use of the Ninjago snake as the dragon firework.

Shelob Attacks: Pleasantly surprised. They did a nice job on Shelob. Gollum gets his own mold which is awesome.

Attack on Weathertop: Very well done. Two levels of the hill, stairs, ruins, and those cute microfigs in solid grey for statues is awesome! I will buy multiples to get the two horses, the wraiths, and again those microfigs make great castle decorations! The extra hobbit in this set is Merry not Sam.

Uruk-Hai Army: Literally perfection! I can't think of a better battle pack than this. All of the soldiers good and bad are generic. A nice piece of wall and a siege weapon (meh...) A new horse in tan! And is that chaffron (horses headgear) and saddle in brown or dark tan? The rohirrim helmet is just pure awesomesauce! Light bley brick pieces OMG! *oh2*

The mines of Moria: Thank the baker! They only tackled one scene with this set. I was worried they would try to fit the balrog in here too and do everything half a__ed. The rock walls and the door look good and mostly brick built. The well and tomb also look very nice. I for one am glad the cave troll is a molded piece. Brick built creatures, especially humanoid ones, tend to look like robots once you articulate the limbs. They are especially hard to build at smaller scale. I am all for animals and smaller creatures getting their own mold. Also the goblins have their own head mold. I am very happy about that. I think they look great! However, I can't tell what color they are? Anyone have a guess? My only complaint, I agree that one less skeleton and an extra goblin would have been the right move on this set. However, do not dispair I think these goblins are likely to show up again in an army builder type of set later. The hobbit in this set appears to be Pippin not Frodo.

The Battle of Helms Deep: Although not at scale this set really has impressed me. I can't believe all of the features they were able to portray in a reasonably priced set. The gate, keep, hornburg, and culvert don't look bad at all. With several of these sets you could get a much better depicition if you would like. There are a good number of baddies in this set as well. I agree that the weathered (sand green bricks) look to the structure adds a ton of charm. Not so sure about the tan touches of brickwork added to it though. Would they look better in grey?

The new molds for the LOTR will forever change the landscape of the castle theme so I thought I would comment on what I have seen. In general from the box art. The new helms for the uruks, gimli, and riders of rohan look like they are going to be great. I also like the uruk shield, I hope the Rider of rohan shield is not the same as the old viking decorative discs. Those were much too big for minifig shields. I dont see a stud in the middle either... wait a sec... is that a new piece? The Uruks appear to be a medium dark flesh color, the goblins color I am not sure of at all. The cave troll looks like he will be grey on the box art. The new weapons are hard to make out... pointy longswords is all that I see. LEGOlas has the collectors elf bow as expected and so far has collector elf hair as well but anything can change at this point.

All in all I am mighty happy!

Edited by DaleDVM

The extra hobbit in this set is Merry not Sam.

hobbit in this set appears to be Pippin not Frodo.

Awesome I didnt notice that, but when I check now I see that they are!

So we already have the full fellowship. That is excellent and unexpected! :wub:

Frodo(2 costumes but hes in 3 sets), Aragorn(possibly 2 costumes), and Gimli are the only figures that are used in more than one set.. (aswell as the uruks)

Edited by deskp

I think it's just preliminary box art until they have a chance to do one that better represents the real thing. Just a guess.

Edited by sharky

I will note this. It appears the mockup for Helms deep was done before the others. The brick pieces on helms deep are tan while the uruk hai army set got light bley ones. Also Theoden's horse is an old horse tilted back and the real rearing horse is included on the uruk hai set. It suggests theoden's horse will be with the new mold as well. I do hope they make it white which is accurate and we get another color horse with the new mold. :thumbup:

Edited by DaleDVM

Well, the sets are looking okay so far. I'll be getting Gandalf Arrives for sure. Others will probably be too expensive..

Can't wait to see hi-res pictures, im especially curious how gollum will turn out :sweet: