wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Judging from the prelim pics the sets look really awful, they look worse than anything from knight's kingdom to me. I hope a lot of changes will be made for the final versions, otherwise i can't see myself picking up those :(

First off, it HAS to be said that it's useless to judge these sets right now. They're still about six months away from release. Chances are, these will change substantially before we ever get our hands on them. Don't start lighting your torches and brandishing your pitchforks.

That said, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by these sets. Helm's Deep looks amazing to me. I think that LEGO is taking a good direction with LotR, judging by these prelims. The Mines of Moria and Helm's Deep are probably my two favorites, at least so far. Gandalf's carriage just kind of looks like a Castle set. The others aren't too remarkable so far, I'm hopeful that LEGO patches them up before release.

I don't think they look as bad as PotC - I'm convinced there will be at least one or two standout sets by the time these are being found in stores. They might not ALL be incredible, but lets face it, since when have licensed themes been consistently great? Usually the smaller sets are pretty forgettable and the bigger sets are great, but overpriced. In this case, I'll probably wind up going the extra mile and picking up one of the bigger sets. But I'll wait until more finalized photos surface before I start judging too harshly.

Now I know that these pictures are preliminary and what have you, but they basically confirm my fears about this line, which were already roused by the set names themselves.

The problem I find is that LEGO is trying to make sets out of things that are just pieces of rock. LotR really is awesome, but most of the best set pieces are either rocky croppings/caves (Weathertop, Mines of Moria) or way too grand in scale to capture realistically in a LEGO set (the towers, Minas Tirith, heck, even Helms Deep really).

There are plenty of locations that I can envision as reasonable for LEGO sets, but they haven't been made. Instead of Weathertop, they could've made the Prancing Pony. It could've had all of the same figures, but instead of some rock and tiny bits of detail, we would've gotten some amount of a building, which would have been better in my opinion.

While the Mines of Moria is a location that should certainly be done, at the same time a cave doesn't really translate into a set that well. In the prelim it looks already like they've taken a good crack at it, but I wouldn't expect it to be amazingly awesome because it is, after all, basically just some rock.

Hopefully Helm's Deep will have some good interior; if it doesn't, it will basically just be a grey wall.

About the horse, I am pretty sure it is a new mould, seeing as it appears in two sets and in two colors.

I am wondering where the Uruk-hai Army set is supposed to take place. Is it a Helm's Deep addition, or is it from Return of the King and the battle that takes place near the harbors by Minas Tirith (Osgiliath I think? I'm not that up on LotR)?

I have already felt the same way about many licenced themes' sets. Many figs, but the scene is a bit thin. I don't think it's new to this theme.

I believe the Uruk army set is an add-on, it looks like there might be a pin near the base of the wall.

PS the Hornburg is not on the wrong side... not according to the book nor the film, surely...

I'm pretty content, if the pics are legit. They will only get better. I'm glad they didn't do the balrog scene together with Balin's tomb, since as I said earlier, they would have to cram in too much and focus on quantity instead of quality. Now we can hope for a decent balrog set in 2013. I'm just a bit disappointed TLG didn't make dwarf skeletons with short legs, but oh, well. Funny that the mysterious "Orc Forge" set wasn't shown.

I have already felt the same way about many licenced themes' sets. Many figs, but the scene is a bit thin. I don't think it's new to this theme.

I believe the Uruk army set is an add-on, it looks like there might be a pin near the base of the wall.

PS the Hornburg is not on the wrong side... not according to the book nor the film, surely...

6536174017_8bd82ebe02_z.jpg

not wrong...

I agree that these sets look great overall, and a couple even surpassed my expectations (helms deep, moria, and army builder) :classic:

Honestly, I'm quite impressed with these preliminary set images. They all look like they'll end up being pretty cool sets (minus maybe the Shelob Attacks set). And if this LotR theme sells well, which based on this topic it seems like it will (at least for AFOLs), I expect it may eventually expand to the size of Star Wars. That means we'll eventually get UCS castles and such. But even if it only has a one or two year run before LEGO returns to a classic Castle theme, it will still be worth it. I'd love to see it have a longer run though, because there are endless set possibilities.

Okay, I have no idea what or who are in these sets, but they look nice. :tongue:

The new "jumping" horse is great, but unfortunately, the legs aren't posable. Maybe it's just easier that way.

I see some new weapon and armour moulds as well, but that's about all I can understand at this point. :laugh:

Despite these being preliminary pics a lot of the sets certainly turned out better than expected - especially Helms Deep, Moria and the Uruk Hai/Rohirim battlepack.

Although the lack of Merry and Pippin makes me wonder if the Orc Forge is indeed an Isengard set from the ending of TTT? The set number does come after Helms Deep implying its a larger set rather than an impulse. Perhaps a brick built Treebeard and collapsable machinery of sorts? It would also be a good way to get Saruman and Wormtongue.

The thing about star wars is that they always has something going, tv series videogames comics books etc.

The hobbit/lotr wont have anything going for it after the last hobbit movie. so the interest in the licence will propably slow down.

I certainly would not mind if it continued for a while. I dont think this theme will be popular than what Harry potter was.

In the past years we saw many LotR videogames. The option for an longer license is open. I think it would be wise to create LEGO-sets based of present/future videogames.

Here my feedback for the fist pics:

(At first, every set needs his own flair.)

The weathertop: What was the most impressive thing in this scene?

-Right! -The "white" ringwraith with theirs crows. Those minifigures in shiny style would be awesome. Please think twice!

The scenery is ok, but something is missing. Yepp, some statues.

-> please to work overtime for those possible wonderful minifigures. :cry_happy:

Gandalf's chart: Yep, this chart is sweet. Here you get greenlight. :sweet::thumbup:

Frodo has the right outfit and the chart the right colors.

Shelob's attack: The spider looks very good!

Frodo is in this scene stabbed and unconscious bound in a white spiderweb. He needs a outfit with spiderwebs and a unconsiscious face. Think about Sting (frodo's sword). This sword shines also. Sam needs an in the dark shiny sword (same material like the shiny LEGO Ghost).

[if now Galadriel's phial could glow (maybe with an LED function) than would this set be epic. But maybe is the idea too over the top.]

-> it is to work overtime for the shiny sword and for Frodo's spiderweb outfit.

Uruk Hai Army: That is a very good battle pack for Helms Deep! Here you get greenlight. I believe the minifigures will be awesome. :thumbup: But what about 1x Lothlorien elf minifigure for this set? Think about it?!

Moria: Please Attention! Moria Goblins are smaller as orcs. These creatures needs legs like dwarfs and hobbits.

An nice idea for the Cavetroll: Think about an sholder for Legolas stand where he shot with bow and arrow against his head. Also it would be wise to put Merry into this set. He sits also on his sholder and stings the troll with an knife.

->Please to revise the sholder and give the Moria Goblins short legs.

Helms Deep: Wonderful Playset. Very good work! Really!

Next idea: What about the exploding wall? Is it possible to create this function over the small tunnel?

Next idea: Think about Haldir (Lothlorien commander). This is the only scene where we see him in golden armor.

Wow, I think it was really very very clever to start with simple-going buildings. Rivendell and co will be very difficult. I feel with you. :laugh:

I think you have now some time to mold new elements for the difficult buildings and can to acquire experience with these new bricks.

I like the collection for the first wave. We will see many characters and soldiers. But think about the collector factor. In every set needs every minifigure his own flair. Every thing needs his own flair than all lego sets would be sold. :sweet:

Elander

Edited by Elander

Very very poor sets that are a great parts packs. Seriously, why Lego stops making a real action features?!

And Did lego just back to his own old tradition?- More smaller sets? Just like in friends?

Edited by Lordofdragonss

The prelim pictures look quite good for the most part. A little skim on structures, but honestly that was to be expected.

Gandalf Arrives: Seems like a nice small set. I was hoping for a bit of greenery alongside the cart, but oh well. Ninjago snake seems quite tailor-made for the role of Gandalf's biggest firework. Frodo could have the book he was reading at this scene, would be nice addition.

Shelob Attacks: Well, Shelob doesn't look much better than earlier Aragogs, and there's not much else in the set except the figures. For me this is the most lacklustre set, not that it's surprising. Remains to be seen how Gollum will turn out. Galadriel's Phial seems to be simply a clear gem, not a bad idea.

Uruk-hai Army: Not at all happy with the new horse mold, how is that supposed to be playable? Otherwise the set looks pretty good, better than expected. A nice amount of figs, and it can be joined to Helm's Deep. The new helm for Rohirrim looks awesome!

Attack on Weathertop: Not a bad scaling down of the hill. I wonder whether the Black Riders will have both legs for riding and a slope skirt for wondering around on foot? Just legs would be looking a bit silly. A other dimension white ghost Nazgûl would have looked cool, but their playability would be restricted more or less to this scene, so I do understand why Lego choose to not include any of them.

The Mines of Moria: No Gandalf, no Aragorn? That's a bit surprising. Including Legolas and Gimli in this and Helm's Deep was also something I wasn't really expecting, even if both do have something to do in the film scene.

The Battle of Helm's Deep: Looks more epic than I expected, really. I was expecting something like a little upscaled Whitecap Bay... which on the other hand was a cheaper set, so maybe I had a little bit lower expectations than were realistic.

you never read the book, haven't you? ;)

Probably not, but I doubt these sets will be based on the books. The same reason I won't jump on to these sets. Good for my wallet.

I'm a little sad that they desiced to make these. LOTR was always something of my imagination, until they made a movie about it, you can't unse what you saw. The movies are good, but not great. It's a cliché, but the books are so mush better. Now they also ruined my Lego fantasy about it. I always imagined Lego lOTR to be like Lego Caste, more colourfull, happy etc... These sets are to dark to be for kids, shame.

Wow, i did not expect to see pics this early! :oh: I'm even more excited for these sets now - sure they are prelims and stuff will change, but the Helms Deep and Urak army sets look great, and although i'm a bit sad about the moulded hill troll, the Moria set looks pretty good too.

I do like the spread of the minifigs in the sets - Frodo is the main repeat, in three sets, and Aragorn and Gimli and Legolas in two, but otherwise it looks like you have to get all the sets to assemble the entire Fellowship. It's hard to make out which hobbits are in what sets, but i'm guessing Sam is in Shelob attacks (duh!), Merry in Weathertop and Pippin in Moria. :thumbup: Maybe some ppl won't be happy that they can't get the Fellowship in just a few sets, but as i'm planning to get the lot, i'm just happy that i won't get too many repeats. :classic:

I do wonder what is up with the horses though. I haven't seen bendy-CGI horse (or minifig) legs on box art before. :oh3: I would have thought that LEGO had learnt from sets like Isle de la Muerta that they people get pretty upset when what is on the box doesn't match what is inside it. Still, i do hope we get that dark tan horse! :wub:

Ooh, just spotted something else - if that is Theoden on the horse in the Helm's Deep set, then shouldn't the horse be white? Not that i really care, but his horse is called Snowmane, after all. :wink:

ps. I wonder when they are going to start making that "brick brick" in colours other than dark tan?

Edited by gabe

I have quite a mixed feelings about these pics, but I believe that they will appeal my eye more when they release clean official pics.

I'm pretty dissapointed that none of the first wave sets have Peregrin ja Meriadoc, but I hope they'll release Crystal King -like set of Treebeard.

Gandalf's Cart looks okay, I like the fireworks. It will be easy to change Gandalf's skin to yellow (because of the beard).

Weathertop is a bit meh, but new standing horse is cool addition. The rock thing is just boring.

Shelob looks well desinged, but I'm not too interest about it anyway. I have big hopes about Gollum fig.

Uruk-hai army is cool (New horse, cool figs, useful gray pieces) and I'll likely get one. I hope they will do a similar set about Battle of the Pelennor fields.

Moria looks promising, but I need some clearer pics to do my judgement. Cave troll looks nice but I would have preferred other figs instead of skellies. Gandalf with a light-up-saff would be brilliant in this set.

Helm's Deep looks great! I like how they made the roundness of the Hornburg. I'd have but another rohirrim solider instead of one of the Uruks. The wall is a bit shallow though.

EDIT: Hmm, hobbit in Moria set could be one of the younger hobbits. We have to wait and see!

Edited by pig

Thanks for the preliminary pics! Such pics always look a bit underwhelming (as the crush your wildest dreams and are merely preliminary), but I'll give it a chance.

I'm most pleased with the battle for Helm's deep and the Mines of Moria, but the Uruk-Hai army and the Weathertop set look promising as well. Especially the Weathertop set can grow. I like the way they used the bley micro figs! The torsos in that set indicate that there is still a long way to go: one torso is that of Will Turner, and another is from a Prince of Persia set.

Lastly, I hope the new horse will be better than the one shown here - it is pretty useless the way it is now...

I always imagined Lego lOTR to be like Lego Caste, more colourfull, happy etc... These sets are to dark to be for kids, shame.

I do agree with that, more or less. Excluding Gandalf's cart, all the sets are of quite dark scenes without much colour. A set like Prancing Pony might have remedied that a bit, but then again Jackson's Prancing Pony wasn't that colourful or cheery place either... The package design is quite dark coloured and foreboding too, something I already disliked in Pirates of the Caribbean and, to lesser extent, latest waves of Harry Potter.

I am pretty happy with how the sets look, they look more impressive than PotC sets did. Maybe they could even come with posters, similar to PotC as well. I am looking forward to offical pics of the finalised figures especially.

God I hope those aren't new horse molds . . . talk about a waste.

I hope LEGO takes the time to create new molds for Gondorian and Rohirrim armor. From the look of the Rohirrim, it seems like they are reusing old helmets (except for the one fig).

Nonetheless, I can't wait to see the finished sets.

At the Battle of Helm's Deep fighting 10.000 Uruk's. -> 1x Battle Pack incloses 4x Uruk's.

10.000/4 = 2.500 Battle Packs

If you want to build this battle real -than you have to buy 2.500x Battle Packs. :sweet:

EDIT:

And you get 5.000 soldiers :thumbup:

Edited by Elander

Another huge thanks to 'willybob' for his work on those images, mind blowing stuff....now I must watch all the films, man I'm getting sucked into LOTR now ! :laugh:

I wonder if the new 2x1 brick that looks like a stack of laid bricks be grey to match the grey's used in the keeps, etc., ? :look:

At least, it won't be like POTC or HP......an overload of Jacks or Harrys ! :laugh:

Thanks to these images we'll have plenty to talk about over the coming months, now I believe again in Santa ! :grin:

all in all good sets, not great, with a decent number of figs in each, mines would be my favorite, would have like to have seen a couple more trolls instead of those skeletons, oh well can't win em all :hmpf_bad: