wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

So simplistic yet very realistic expectations, and I couldn't agree more. I think most of us have already seen good examples from previous licenses (SW, HP, PoP, PoTC) and most likely those would be indicative of the "quality/size/scale" of the sets we'll be getting from LOTR. Even if we'll get a simple horse cart, or castle tower/wall, or a ballista, etc., the beauty of the LEGO medium is there will always be (A HUGE) room to modify and improve the sets to our liking.

I fully agree with that statement

And LEGO is about that, recreate the Fantasy of LOTR around the official minifigs will be epic.Helm's Deep will never be a set. But for sure it will be a nice future MOC from some inspired guy with all those official minifigs from dozens of LOTR battle packs.

Many are right, some really large sets won't be made......but if you have the figures and a stack of parts.....well, that's what many of us do right.....we MOC build. :classic:

Although I understand the worry about this being a licensed theme, I must admit that so far every single licensed theme has given us something new and exciting that MOC'ers have found a use for in castle building. Imagine for a moment that PoP had never come out; that is to date the best source of Middle Eastern themed minifig torsos, accessories, animals, colors etc. Whether or not Classic castle will continue to receive sets or disappear, people will always build castle MOC's.

In a way this theme is a blessing; it will give us new fantasy elements; something we haven't seen since 2009 in castle (not counting collectible minifigures).

I don't think they'll reuse the elf hairpiece (just a guess) Because the LOTR elves don't have ears that are that pronounced and cartoonish. I hope they just leave a cutaway notch in the hairpiece with no skin parts so that it goes great with both flesh and yellow heads.

I am very excited about the evil factions and unique parts that this theme will bring; I say let's rejoice and milk it for what it's worth rather than get hung up on the license issue. :wink:

Many are right, some really large sets won't be made......but if you have the figures and a stack of parts.....well, that's what many of us do right.....we MOC build. :classic:

My thought exactly, they may not be gigantic sets, but the mini figs and parts that these sets produce will be great for MOC'ing in History related themes and I believe Pirates as well.

I'm fine with fleshies. I don't see what's wrong with mixing the yellow minifigures with fleshies. Real people have all different skin colors. And there have been a few new other colored minifigures such as brown and that orange tan (zombies in Pirates of the Carribean). I think it adds color and variety to a creation.

Yeah, this is my attitude too - i understand that yellow and the light flesh tone can be somewhat jarring when placed together, but if the moc is big and/or detailed enough or the composition is compelling enough, surely that dissonance should be diluted or negated? It should all be about the build anyway, surely. :classic:

Also, if i'm going to put dark skinned figs in my mocs alongside the yellow figs, it seems rather arbitary to exclude light flesh figs just cause "they look ugly" (in some ppls opinion!) I may as well never leave the house if i subscribed to that view! :wink: .

Although I understand the worry about this being a licensed theme, I must admit that so far every single licensed theme has given us something new and exciting that MOC'ers have found a use for in castle building. Imagine for a moment that PoP had never come out; that is to date the best source of Middle Eastern themed minifig torsos, accessories, animals, colors etc. Whether or not Classic castle will continue to receive sets or disappear, people will always build castle MOC's.

In a way this theme is a blessing; it will give us new fantasy elements; something we haven't seen since 2009 in castle (not counting collectible minifigures).

I don't think they'll reuse the elf hairpiece (just a guess) Because the LOTR elves don't have ears that are that pronounced and cartoonish. I hope they just leave a cutaway notch in the hairpiece with no skin parts so that it goes great with both flesh and yellow heads.

I am very excited about the evil factions and unique parts that this theme will bring; I say let's rejoice and milk it for what it's worth rather than get hung up on the license issue. :wink:

Well put, i am in total agreement. :classic:

Someone get the oxygen bottle for Elander. :laugh:

I need more... *oh2**huh*

What the hell... I'm absolute, absolute really really -and you can REALLY believe me- really.... *huh*:thumbup: :thumbup:

EDIT: That is ...

Ok, (I'm german) what is better as amazing?

2.EDIT:

If you have more ideas:

Your ideas are here welcome!

Edited by Elander

I'm late to the (long-expected) party, and haven't posted in a while, but I had to drop in on this fantastic news! :sweet: I think that out of the past few adventure licenses (PotC, PoP, IJ) there have been some great sets, great minifigs and great new parts, so hopefully Lego will give it their all and this LotR line will be a culmination of all the best elements of the previous lines. A theme of this magnitude deserves such sets.

Thank you Lego! :thumbup::classic: Now to perform emergency surgery on my Lego fund...

Edited by Commander Laquiet

Ok I feel like guessing what these sets might contain so here goes:

9469 Gandalf Arrives

A small $10 -$12 dollar set with a cart, some fireworks Gandalf and Frodo. Maybe Sam or Bilbo. - A must buy.

9470 Shelob Attacks

Shelob, Frodo wrapped up somehow, Sam, and maybe Gollum. A $25 dollar set.

9471 Uruk-hai Army

Really not sure about this one at all, the name is too vague and could translate to several movie scenes...

9472 Attack on Weathertop

Aragorn, Two to three Nazgul, Invisible Frodo, Sam, and hopefully Merry and Pippin. - A $50 dollar set.

9473 The Mines of Moria

Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf, Frodo, and some Goblins. Maybe a Cave Troll, Balrog. - A $70 dollar set..

9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep

The big one! Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Theoden, Haldir,two Rohan Soldiers, one elf, four Uruk Hai, and a Uruk Berzerker.

Probably the deeping wall and part of the hornburg. - $130 dollar set.

9476 The Orc Forge

Um a impulse set?? :wacko:

9469 Gandalf Arrives

A small $10 -$12 dollar set with a cart, some fireworks Gandalf and Frodo. Maybe Sam or Bilbo. - A must buy.

I think Bilbo is quite possible inclusion. He's the guy who bridges the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit, more so than even Gandalf, and this would be more or less the best chance Lego will have of ever releasing old Bilbo. Then again, children tend to think that old people are boring... Sam I think won't be included here, because he will surely be in the Shelob set.

9471 Uruk-hai Army

Really not sure about this one at all, the name is too vague and could translate to several movie scenes...

This one is certainly interesting. It could be Boromir and Merry & Pippin against a few Uruk-hai, but I'm not sure if Lego would make a set of a death scene... Still, would they really make a set without any protagonists either?

The big one! Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Theoden, Haldir,two Rohan Soldiers, one elf, four Uruk Hai, and a Uruk Berzerker.

13 figures? In our dreams. They might even be truer to the source material than the movies and skip Haldir and his elves altogether. I wouldn't count on specific Berzerker either, his role is easily enough relegated to a normal Uruk-hai warrior. I would hope there's at least something like Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Théoden, a generic Rohirrim soldier and three Uruk-hai, but I wouldn't hope for much more.

9476 The Orc Forge

Impulse set sounds like a good guess. With luck it could include an orcish smith, small furnace and anvil and a few weapons. That would be a killer army-builder! The set might also contain Saruman inspecting his minion's work, as the lineup seems to be a bit thin on villains (not counting the cannon-fodder) otherwise. Then it would not be as good (or at least stranger) army-builder.

One notice I did make from this set list is that there will apparently be no female characters at all in these sets (except Shelob :tongue:). I really hope we'll see Galadriel and Éowyn in the future, and Arwen too. Galadriel could be included also in the Hobbit sets, as the actions of the White Council will be shown on-screen in the films, contrary to the book.

I will have to start planning a custom-made Prince Imrahil with his Swan Knights of Dol Amroth... :wub:

This one is certainly interesting. It could be Boromir and Merry & Pippin against a few Uruk-hai, but I'm not sure if Lego would make a set of a death scene... Still, would they really make a set without any protagonists either?
They've made some army builder sets for Star Wars with only Imperial Troopers. I suspect this will be similar.

I have a feeling that the Uruk-Hai Army set could be an expansion on Helm's Deep, due to the lack of Uruks in the set? It could have an Uruk ballista, two Uruk swordsman, and Uruk crossbow man and a Berzerker. If they release the scene of Boromir's death, it will most likely be called Amon Hen, and have the seeing seat.

9469 Gandalf Arrives

I agree with the pricing on this one. Gandalf, Frodo, a horse, and a cart. Or maybe Gandalf and Frodo and some hobbit-house scenery like the round doorway.

9470 Shelob Attacks

Shelob, Frodo wrapped up somehow, Sam, and maybe Gollum. A $25 dollar set.

Hopefully $19.99 instead, but considering it's licensed, you're probably right. Probably has a bit of scenery, like the interior of the cave, or the web? Trying to make a web might make for some interesting pieces. Brick-built spider? Or molded body with legs made of parts?

9471 Uruk-hai Army

Battle-pack seems like an obvious possibility. Could also be Saruman reviewing the Uruk-hai? Or maybe the Uruk-hai army camp, with Merry and Pippin as captives? $35-40 if it's a set.

Aragorn, Two to three Nazgul, Invisible Frodo, Sam, and hopefully Merry and Pippin. - A $50 dollar set.

Given the numbering, it does seem like it should be the $50 set, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it. I guess if there were three Nazgul, plus Aragorn and the hobbits (giving eight total minifigs) that might justify such a high price. Besides minifigs though, what does it have? The ruins at the top of the hill I suppose. They'd have to be pretty good ruins; maybe with some sort of play feature?

9473 The Mines of Moria

Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf, Frodo, and some Goblins. Maybe a Cave Troll, Balrog. - A $70 dollar set..

Yes, I'm guessing Balrog with some interior scene and a collapsing bridge play feature.

Agreed, although that seems like too many minifigs. Maybe just Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Theoden, and four Uruk Hai. Or add Eomer and take away an orc. I'm guessing there's a play feature simulating the blowing up of the wall.

9476 The Orc Forge

Probably an impulse set. If the Uruk-hai Army set is a battlepack, then hopefully this would be Saruman supervising the forging of new orcs.

Seems a bit light on the play-features. But I suppose they'll come up with something, and hey, when all else fails, they'll just add some flick-fire missiles. :hmpf_bad:

So this wave is the Fellowship and Two Towers. Then there will probably be a wave slightly in advance of the first Hobbit movie; I imagine that will be Hobbit-oriented. Then I'm guessing another wave focused on The Return of the King. And then another wave before the second Hobbit movie. Seems like they would have tried to do three LOTR waves and two Hobbit waves. I suppose if it's successful they can always add more waves later and pick set ideas from anywhere in the books.

This will make orlando Bloom by my count the third actor to be immortalised in lego for roles in different franchises after Alfred Molina (Satipo and Doc Ock) and Harrison Ford. Lego Liv Tyler and Scarlett Johansson in the same year? *oh2*:wub::laugh:

This will make orlando Bloom by my count the third actor to be immortalised in lego for roles in different franchises after Alfred Molina (Satipo and Doc Ock) and Harrison Ford. Lego Liv Tyler and Scarlett Johansson in the same year? *oh2*:wub::laugh:

Don't forgot Alfred Molina also played Shiek Amar in Prince of Persia.

Night, I find your sets fairly accurate to what LEGO may release with only a few exceptions. Helm's Deep will no way have that many figs, and I highly doubt they'll have Licensed impulses.

Don't forgot Alfred Molina also played Shiek Amar in Prince of Persia.

Night, I find your sets fairly accurate to what LEGO may release with only a few exceptions. Helm's Deep will no way have that many figs, and I highly doubt they'll have Licensed impulses.

The Harry Potter theme contradicts what you just said. The Hogwarts set from 2010 had around 12 minifigs, and that theme also had impulse sets. But, I have a feeling that it will not be an impulse set, because impulse sets usually have obscure set numbers.

Let there be the Balrog... Let there be the Balrog... Please, let there be The Balrog...

A creature constructed from entirely translucent orange pieces, with generous use of flames, could be quite spectacular!

All underneath a collapsing bridge. For once, a LEGO model where the structure is meant to be unstable!

The Harry Potter theme contradicts what you just said. The Hogwarts set from 2010 had around 12 minifigs, and that theme also had impulse sets. But, I have a feeling that it will not be an impulse set, because impulse sets usually have obscure set numbers.

Those were promos, not inpulses. :wink: Impulses are like promos, but widely available, which again, hasn't occurred with licensed themes. I do understand your first statement - but I can't see LEGO releasing 4 Uruks for the most part the same in anything but a relatively dedicated battlepack, which is what I believe the Uruk-hai army is for.

The Hogwarts set from 2010 had around 12 minifigs

11, if you count the statue which has no printed parts. That's still a generous amount of minifigs, especially considering that many of them are exclusive to that set. I will be very happy if Helm's Deep has as many figs, but I'm not raising my hopes that high.

I'd kill for a Gamling in Helm's Deep, really, but I don't think it's going to happen. We'll probably end up with Haldir - or, likelier, neither. :sadnew:

Yep, a lot of hats will be eaten tonight ! :laugh:

Reading the article, it's like the DC Comics deal....multi-year....that means Elander might get his huge collection of sets he's been wishing for. :wink:

Edit - I forgot it also said 'ACTION FIGURES', perhaps a Hero Factory style of creation ? :wink:

:cry_happy::thumbup:

Now that it is official here are the sets I know about:

9469 Gandalf Arrives

9470 Shelob Attacks

9471 Uruk-hai Army

9473 The Mines of Moria

9476 The Orc Forge

Enjoy :devil:

That is an interesting collection. It was a good choice to start with easy-going buildings. So it is now enough time for the very difficult buildings in Rivendell or Lothlorien...

The Mines of Moria:

This set sounds very interesting. Maybe it is a kind of collection of here counted possibilities: Moria Gate and Watcher, Balins Tomb, The Bridge of Khazad doom. Or it is a set based of the Great Hall where the goblins climbing at the columns...

But ATTENTION!

-The Moria Goblins are smaller as orcs! Those minifigures needs short legs!

Ohhh wow! I'm very happy. Now it is here near 5.00 am. I try to sleep. :classic:

Edited by Elander

Let there be the Balrog... Let there be the Balrog... Please, let there be The Balrog...

It's probably more realistic that LEGO would do the scene with the troll rather than the balrog. Which is a shame. But it would be pretty sweet to have a balrog...

I would hope the Balrog and the Bridge of Khazad-Dum would b e a seperate set altogether. The Balrog is one of the best movie monsters of all time. It needs a seperate set to do it justice.

But it is only a hope. Not sure TLG is going to take this license as seriously as the fans take it. We shall see.

This is what they always do, though. In recent history we've seen it with Cars, Toy Story and Indiana Jones. They obtain a license and release sets based on classic material. The sets based on the new movie come out around six months later. They originally did this with the Star Wars license, although there were two years (I think) before the new trilogy was released. That's a different story because of how many new films were coming out and the license was contracted over a number of years. It seems to be their business model when obtaining new licenses that have new movies coming out.

I guess I wasn't following it as closely as others. It makes sense to release near a new movie. Maybe I was just more in tune with the PotC model which didn't seem to do a classic role out and then an on strange tides roll out. I wonder what the thought is behind that??... you'd think if they know they are going to get a big boost from a movie they would ride that first and see if the theme will be a hit by comparing the numbers to other themes... then again, maybe thought is people won't want "old" theme stuff when the new movie comes out. Anyhow, I look forward to seeing all the grainy prototypes and speculating what is in each set before we can even see it!!