wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

It looks very impressive, but for some reason it's more impressive due to quantity than quality to me. Maybe it's the mediocre photo quality, or it is due to other amazing Helm's Deep MOCs I've seen before.

It looks very impressive, but for some reason it's more impressive due to quantity than quality to me. Maybe it's the mediocre photo quality, or it is due to other amazing Helm's Deep MOCs I've seen before.

I think part of the reason is because it's really hard to see the actual model with so many minifigures on it. I wish they would of took some pictures with and without the minifigures (I can only imagine how long it takes to put them all on or take them all off having 1700 figs). I do notice some things though, even with all the minifigures. It looks like the path to the front gate is straight with a single 90% bend rather than being curved like it appears in the movie. The deepening wall also seems tall, but it does not seem near as long as it should be. I am guessing both of these things were done simply to save space though as this is a huge MOC. Some better picture quality would of definitely helped too.

I saw this MOC a few days earlier when Eurolock posted it in the other Helm's Deep thread. I am still in awe. I don't understand how people can afford to invest so much money into a single scene. I mean I know some of those minifigures are the CMF elves and other yellow figures from previous themes, but it looks like at least 1000-1300 are Uruk-hai alone. Unless these guys bought up tons of Uruk-hai during the Sun promotion, that's so much money spent on Uruk-hai Army sets. I know there are two of them and they probably combined armies, but still... if they bought Uruk-hai Army sets that's 1000/4=250x$25=$6250/2=$3125 bucks alone spent on JUST Uruk-hai! And that's a conservative number and considering they bought them all in the U.S. where they are cheapest at a nice 20% off sale. If it's 1300 Uruk-hai combined that's over $4000 spent per person! Of course if they were bought through the Sun promotion that's a much cheaper price to get a thousand Uruk-hai and could of actually been done for well under $1000. I would be interested in knowing how they went about them and how much money was spent to make this thing per person. I thought my armies were pretty substantial spending over 2 grand on them (both LotR and Hobbit) but these guys spent that on a single scene alone!

Indeed it is and to avoid any further confusion I'm going to close this thread.

Please continue any LotR discussion in the 2013 thread.

Thank you.