wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Right, the only information Lego store employee's know are rumours. Lego stores have no conformation as yet on weather LOTR is happening or not. There are a few individuals here who know the answer of weather its true or not and certain members of Lugs know the truth as well, but out of respect to TLC everyone is sworn to secrecy as Lego try's hard to keep things under wraps. There are a few individuals who like to abuse this and blab, but these individuals are known to us and could find themselves in trouble. It has to be said that any pictures with a 'confidential image' stamp over it should not be posted here and will be taken down immediatly. As for LOTR, you will all just have to wait and see, as im afraid no conformation will be given until Lego decides to release and show information on what they have in store for the castle theme. It could be anything. Patience people! :classic:

Then why do the moderator's allow this topic to continue in the Licensed forum eh ? It's only for actual Lego Licensed themes. :wink:

Perhaps in the next three or four months things might become clear after some of toy fairs. :wink:

Where else would this discussion go?? LEGO may not have the license but since we are discussing what a LOTR LEGO set would be, would the licensed forum not be the correct place? If they every do get the license and start making sets, since it is based off of a movie they would need a license to produce toys based off it, therefore it belongs in the licensed forum.

Of course... the problem is not black/brown/tan/whatever, it's that any of the "flesh" colors simply don't match the yellow. Since we already have so much yellow in the fantasy line, it would make combining figures from a licensed theme with original fantasy line impossible.

Absolutely not. Pirates of the Caribbean was a blessing to the Pirates line, I've seen lots of MOC's with flesh colored fig's right along side old school yellow figs. It's all about your point of view, from the sounds of it, you'll never do that, but others will.

I guarantee you if this license happens the figs will be flesh colored, all licensed themes are, and the simple reason is to better resemble the product line.

Where else would this discussion go?? LEGO may not have the license but since we are discussing what a LOTR LEGO set would be, would the licensed forum not be the correct place?

Well, PoTC is discussed in the Pirates forum.... :P

Just saying.

-Omi

Just saying.

-Omi

I think that was to keep the forum alive, in a way. Hell, this might be moved to Historic themes once it's confirmed. Kinda doubt it, though.

It would be pretty awesome. I'm not the biggest LOTR fan, but I think I'm mainly interested in the theme for the wealth of parts and minifigs it would bring. LOTR battle packs would be... well, really good.

i think, that if tlg brings lotr, then in 2013 at the earliest and based on "The Hobbit" movie(s).

Point of movies/tv licenses is to concurrently tie in with the movies/tv shows. That too me would just be a bit too late on schedule.

-Omi

The smallest set:

10$/€: Saurons destiny/Isildurs bane set get the same size like the "Viking Warrior challenges the Fenris Wolf set"

Some action:

20$/€: Nazgul attack at Bucklebury Ferry -> "Castaway's Raft"

A sweet house:

30$/€: Radagast's house -> "Majisto's Magical Workshop"

For our Forestman friends a nice replacement:

40$/€: Henneth Annûn (Faramirs hidden Gondorian ranger outpost) -> "Skull Island" (Without skull :grin: )

Found at Forestmen surfing:

50$/€: Elf treehouse -> "Forestmen's Hideout" (just bigger)^^

And at last the large set

over 100$/€: Minas Tirith Citadel -> "Hogwarts Castle"

I don't quite agree with the $40 set, I don't think that part played a big role in the movie and it wouldn't constitute a set. I find it much more likely that Moria or a goblin set would work. Because Goblins are in The Hobbit and LOTR; both would include Gollum. :thumbup:

Minas-Tirith is another I'm not sure about, I believe that for the flagship it will be for the Hobbit since that is the main movie this time around. But, I'll need to see what the movie does..

Star Wars/Hasbro. Though I don't know anything about how licenses work, so correct me if this is just an exception.

Hasbro gained the licenses and optioned it to TLG for construction toys a field they dont produce in. there is a remote chance they will again option the licenses with TLG but they could go with other manufactures as well like :devil: mega blocks :devil: . There will with out a doubt be a bidding war on the license. its a way that companies recoup cost of the original license and can in some cases eclipse the actual cost of the original license. best course is to wait and talk about what are some things you would love to see happen with the license if TLG gets it. I am sure TLG looks at these forums for information a common practice in the digital age. this practice is called forum and social network mining.

Then why do the moderator's allow this topic to continue in the Licensed forum eh ? It's only for actual Lego Licensed themes. :wink:

Perhaps in the next three or four months things might become clear after some of toy fairs. :wink:

I agree and disagree respectfully. I am not trying to rock the boat or rub people wrong with that statement. Just pointing out my knowledge in license issues since I have studied them in a marketing course for college. I am a mass communications major at University and my focus is marketing and advertising, I have only a year and semester to graduate. I have an understanding on how public domain information on licensing works though I will fully admit its just an understanding not a working knowledge like a lawyer might have. I do think this is the proper forum to discuss how absolutely amazing a LOTR or Hobbit license would be but I do think that its not the place to argue the point.

I will eat a large piece of humble pie if they do and buy everything I can get my hands on. :grin:

Edited by legomonk

Perhaps this has been already told but...

...if REALLY there is a LoTR wave, considering the designing, production and shipping times, either we are already too late, or they were EXTREMELY skilled at keeping the secret...

Why are people wondering if LEGO has the license or not now? It isn't even 2012 yet, and it would make sense as a license for October wave 2012 (like when the Harry Potter rerelease came about) or in early 2013. Wouldn't it be a little early to hear about the license? I wouldn't expect it until at least March.

And LEGO can keep a secret. Super Heroes didn't really leak out before they announced it.

Edited by Superficial Username

Why are people wondering if LEGO has the license or not now? It isn't even 2012 yet, and it would make sense as a license for October wave 2012 (like when the Harry Potter rerelease came about) or in early 2013. Wouldn't it be a little early to hear about the license? I wouldn't expect it until at least March.

And LEGO can keep a secret. Super Heroes didn't really leak out before they announced it.

No licensing is done around the time they start post production. so about now is right to get the public domain info out. It would make sense to here about optioning it around march. TLG would have per-production models to show what they have planed for the license when they try to option it.

Wouldn't it be a little early to hear about the license? I wouldn't expect it until at least March.

I would say that an announcement would be made during the big toy fairs in february.

Really? Since when?

-Omi

...it is genetically determined.

Just imagine you have a little brother and now you buy a Lord of the Ring LEGO set. What do you think want your little brother next time also buy?

You are a kind exemplary function. And in that case for TLG the best merchandise function. ->The kiddies see that elderly buy cool LEGO LotR/Hobbit sets ->so will those also buy cool LotR/Hobbit sets.

TLG's job it is these sets to create interesting for all generations.

...it is genetically determined.

Not entirely.

Not all young kids enjoy what adults like since in a kid's mind, adults are not "cool". It is a clash of differences. I don't share the same interests as my dad nor my brothers.

Not all kids like the same thing. My nephew doesn't like any of the Lego sets except Town. If he saw me buy an LoTR set, he would be like neato, but he wouldn't want it nor play with it. Not his thing.

And kids don't like boring. I'm sorry, but I couldn't sit through reading any of the books. They were long and boring. I picked up Harry Potter instead because it was more of my age.

And not all older kids like Lego.

-Omi

No licensing is done around the time they start post production. so about now is right to get the public domain info out. It would make sense to here about optioning it around march. TLG would have per-production models to show what they have planed for the license when they try to option it.

Well, you are the one with the major on the subject. But that doesn't mean that we would of heard about it. But whatever, if we get it, we get it. If we don't, we don't. :sadnew:

I would say that an announcement would be made during the big toy fairs in february.

:wall: Ugh, whenever I propose an idea, I always forget Toy Fair.

Hey,

to find comparisons for possible set sizes makes fun. :laugh:

Now it's your turn.

Ohhhhh man, I can't wait!!

In February 2012 are the major Toy Fairs in New York and Nürnberg! That's 10x weeks to wait. I will be soooo thrilled for the first pics, infos, official confirmations... what ever :wacko:

I do count the days: Toy Fair Nürnberg 01.-06. Feb. 2012 -> That's are 60 days to wait. :hmpf: arrg that is too long. :sing:

That is a long time to wait :sad: but I do not think we will be disappointed. There would not be so much action in this forum if something wasn't really about to happen :sweet:

Here is my guess at some potential LOTR sets:

Battle of the Wizards - $10

includes Saruman and Gandalf

Bag End - $20

includes Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam

Road to Bree - $30

includes Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippen, nazgul on horse, and trees

Fangorn Forest - $30

includes Merry, Pippen, goblin, and Treebeard

Creepy Cave - $40

includes Frodo, Sam, Golem, and giant spider in cave

Battle for Helms Deep - $70

includes Gimli, Aragorn, Theoden, orcs, a castle wall, and ladders

I was also thinking about what TLG would do for the ring. I think the most likely thing will be to simply print it on Frodos torso. Just my 2 cents.

I think the ring would be printed on the new 1x1 round tile.

In fact, this theme might be a driving factor in making that mold. Makes me wonder why that didn't introduce that mold for Jack Sparrow's compass (they printed it on a 1x1 square tile).

That is a long time to wait :sad: but I do not think we will be disappointed. There would not be so much action in this forum if something wasn't really about to happen :sweet:

Here is my guess at some potential LOTR sets:

Battle of the Wizards - $10

includes Saruman and Gandalf

Bag End - $20

includes Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam

Road to Bree - $30

includes Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippen, nazgul on horse, and trees

Fangorn Forest - $30

includes Merry, Pippen, goblin, and Treebeard

Creepy Cave - $40

includes Frodo, Sam, Golem, and giant spider in cave

Battle for Helms Deep - $70

includes Gimli, Aragorn, Theoden, orcs, a castle wall, and ladders

I was also thinking about what TLG would do for the ring. I think the most likely thing will be to simply print it on Frodos torso. Just my 2 cents.

I can see these happening. Though perhaps the cave and Bree are switched, price-point wise, with the latter containing a scaled-down Prancing Pony. :thumbup:

Just saying.

-Omi

I wonder why, Pirates of the Caribbean. It was placed in the Pirate forum because it was about Pirates.

Where would you suggest the LotR theme go? History forum? Maybe.

…average buyer doesn't consider sets with those criteria, like the appriopriate scale of buildings or number of vehicles - for every example of successfull vehicle set you can find another successfull one that has equally high playability wihtout any vehicles, both in current sets and the old ones, even those from the 90's.

I think you have this particular point totally backwards.

AFOLs generally complain about the emphasis on vehicles. I know you are new here so you will not have seen the many complaints over the years about the number of useless vehicles in sets - Star Wars sets especially. But even in City themes we get a new fire truck, police car and ambulance virtually every year because TLG thinks that the average consumer wants vehicles. How many carts and wagons have we seen in Castle sets over the years? If you stay in the hobby for very long you will one day realize you have a bin full of wheels you can never use because it feels like every other set you buy has some sort of wheeled vehicle whether it needs one or not.

Back to licences: In Star Wars they also have to try to avoid competing with other toy manufacturers who have the licence for "action figures" so LEGO has to sell sets with multiple minifigs and something else to make it not an action figure pack. This would likely be applicable to LOTR as well since the "action figure" licenses are already well established as the Star Wars ones were before LEGO got involved.

So, it is not a general wish of AFOLs that potential LOTR sets include "vehicles" it is acknowledging that such an emphasis would likely be a requirement of the line. Most of us would probably rather see Bag End as a set without useless bits but I bet you anything that if it is made it will come with a hand cart or a wagon.

Some retailer's already know what's coming next year and the just saying LOTR brings funny reactions....expressions of hiding something. :wink:

Or maybe expressions of "Look we have another LOTR LEGO nutter! Let us mess with his head." :sweet:

If you stay in the hobby for very long you will one day realize you have a bin full of wheels you can never use because it feels like every other set you buy has some sort of wheeled vehicle whether it needs one or not.

I get what you mean, I already have a lot of needless wheels and tires :)

So, it is not a general wish of AFOLs that potential LOTR sets include "vehicles" it is acknowledging that such an emphasis would likely be a requirement of the line. Most of us would probably rather see Bag End as a set without useless bits but I bet you anything that if it is made it will come with a hand cart or a wagon.

Agreed, but it's still better to get some sets with quite useless small vehicles, for example catapults on wheels like those in most Kingdoms or Fantasy Era sets, rather than not to get those sets at all.

Or maybe expressions of "Look we have another LOTR LEGO nutter! Let us mess with his head." :sweet:

:laugh: Nice one, and certainly more probable than that any reseller would already know anything sure on this subject.

BTW, I came up with another idea (but it may have been already written earlier somewhere in this topic, I don't remember): as some optimists are still looking for any signs of LOTR Theme coming next year, I give another idea - maybe new bear from Forest Police Station is just a preparation for Beorn in his wild form :wink: Together with freshly introduced round tiles 1x1 as a future One Ring it's the next step toward Lego LOTR :wink: To some extent it's fun to look for such "signs", as with the thesis you believe to be truth it's quite easy to find evidence that matches it and makes it even more probable. But of course, to be fully serious, I don't believe it. It would be nice if Lego was giving such hints of upcoming theme, officialy keeping it secret, but I don't think Lego marketing and product managers have time to play such games with those few maniacs that look for it :laugh:

Edited by Innos

Well it appears Vivid (Germany)will be joining Bridge Direct in the Hobbit Toy line and they will have a minifigure line, with no news of LEGO obtaining any of the licensing rights to either the Hobbit or the LOTR it is highly doubtful that LEGO will be producing either line any time soon.

Although that isn't to say LEGO will not have its own fantasy line with Elves, Dwarves and such.

Vivid joins The Hobbit line-up

by Katie Roberts | Email a friend | PrintFirm to develop products in key toy categories for the two upcoming films.

Vivid is on board along with The Bridge Direct in order to create global distribution. The new lines will be based on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again for distribution in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

WBCP last week announced The Bridge Direct as its toy partner, producing products in additional key toy categories for distribution in the Americas and Asia. The companies will co-develop an range of products inspired by the two films.

Products are set to hit shelves in advance of the release of the first film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on December 14th, 2012.

Vivid's key products are set to include plush based on the main characters in the film, board games, mini figures and more.

Meanwhile, The Bridge will debut basic action figures, adventure packs, beast packs and detailed collector figures.

I wonder why, Pirates of the Caribbean. It was placed in the Pirate forum because it was about Pirates.

Where would you suggest the LotR theme go? History forum? Maybe.

Well yeah, but it is a license. :P

And yeah history forum would be logical, but then the forum name would need a change since I don't recall reading about the One Ring in my textbook.

Either way. :P

-Omi

Well yeah, but it is a license. :P

And yeah history forum would be logical, but then the forum name would need a change since I don't recall reading about the One Ring in my textbook.

Either way. :P

-Omi

What you must have been skipping dont you remember the Teacher telling you about how Abe Lincoln wanted to use the "One Ring" to beat Napoleon but Brian Boitano came and destroyed it.