wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Wow this theme seems more amazing every time I think or look at it. Even the Gandalf and Gollum figures which I originally didn't love have really grown on me. The only thing about this line that irks me is the Aragorn mini figure. For some reason he doesn't seem kingly enough for me. I know that at this point in the story i looks like a ranger but he always had that kingly air that cannot be put into a minifig. Mabey a brown cape will help.

A somewhat related question; Do you think that TLG will make an Anduril mold when the time comes?

I really hope they do

The surface is not so polished/bright and the material is kinda different (you can tell it by touch) - which means less durability and less fun in my vocabulary.

OK, you beat me. OMG. I guess the majority of experienced buyers based in Australia purchase from the US.

I have no information about the brick quality, but in other well-selling/licensed themes (such as SuperHeroes and Ninjago, like you mentioned) hybrid minifigures started to appear so it's very likely they will find their way into LotR as well. On the other hand, personally I would expect the standard LEGO value for my money and wouldn't be happy with hybrid products (especially when "cheaper" means unaffordable still). Either way, licensed sets are always more expensive than regular brands, so as it is now, it's nowhere to be called cheap.

I still fail to see any way that current Chinese-made parts are any lower quality than their counterparts from other countries. It seems like LEGO's worked out most of the kinks in their Chinese plant, but the "Cheap Chinese Plastic" meme has become too ingrained in the AFOL consciousness for many AFOLs to give the new figs a chance. Newsflash: quality issues occur periodically in all of LEGO's plants, regardless of location. And most of these quality issues (including ALL of the Chinese examples I've been shown) are so insignificant as to be ignorable.

Ok, I found them on brickipedia, but maybe they were on FBTB too.

Thanks for putting them up, I hadn't seen the royal hall picture before (and I love it) :thumbup:

@wghost: The quality of the bricks in Star Wars sets has always been great, and since LotR could be an equally successfull license I doubt they would use cheap plastic for it - especially not in the first sets.

A reasoning I can agree with. Never came into my mind, but good point.

I still fail to see any way that current Chinese-made parts are any lower quality than their counterparts from other countries. It seems like LEGO's worked out most of the kinks in their Chinese plant, but the "Cheap Chinese Plastic" meme has become too ingrained in the AFOL consciousness for many AFOLs to give the new figs a chance. Newsflash: quality issues occur periodically in all of LEGO's plants, regardless of location. And most of these quality issues (including ALL of the Chinese examples I've been shown) are so insignificant as to be ignorable.

It's not a meme for me at all, but I keep reading all over they're different - and I think it's reasonable enough for us to expect quality bricks for these prices. Personally, I did not have any parts in hand of said hybrids, but I've heard about weak Atlantis parts as well (such as harpoons) made in Europe (?), so I don't think it's just a 'meme' as you put it - rather a serious issue without specific countries, I think.

PS: I don't really get the 'kink' part but I really hope it's just a colloquialism for something innocent. (I'm only aware of its offensive meanings which in Chinese context would be just as derogative and unwelcome.)

Edited by wghost

Looks like Legolas's head and hair are one piece?

Toy Fair 2012 - The Lord of the Rings - 9473 The Mines of Moria - 45

nevermind :blush:

NO! :damn: They couldn't just do it seprate? :cry2::ugh: Come on! :enough::dangry:

Looks like Legolas's head and hair are one piece?

Toy Fair 2012 - The Lord of the Rings - 9473 The Mines of Moria - 45

nevermind :blush:

Of course it's separate. The same hairpiece is even used on Haldir too.

:wacko:

A reasoning I can agree with. Never came into my mind, but good point.

It's not a meme for me at all, but I keep reading all over they're different - and I think it's reasonable enough for us to expect quality bricks for these prices. Personally, I did not have any parts in hand of said hybrids, but I've heard about weak Atlantis parts as well (such as harpoons) made in Europe (?), so I don't think it's just a 'meme' as you put it - rather a serious issue without specific countries, I think.

PS: I don't really get the 'kink' part but I really hope it's just a colloquialism for something innocent. (I'm only aware of its offensive meanings which in Chinese context would be just as derogative and unwelcome.)

A kink is a mistake. The word you are confusing it with is a racist term for someone from China. I am sure no offence was went, an honest mistake/misunderstanding.

As far as I can tell from photos alone, the minifigures, their weapons and the bricks that surround them do not seem to be lacking in quality, guess we'll find out come June. But so far everything looks fantastic and the world is good :classic:

Haha. I only just noticed the "flick seesaw" thing here. Those things are turning up everywhere all of a sudden. Do they have a name? If not, I'm going to go with flick seesaw from now on.

That said I kind of dig the one on one of the Ninjago sets my kid got. It reliably fires snakes halfway across the lounge room.

The issue is not one of production ability (which in China is actually very high) but of Quality control. China is a huge country and it is very difficult for any company that manufactures there to keep good control over the quality of the materials being used.

For all their skill and initiative the general companies in China are not fond of record keeping and what may be in the plastic moulds one month could change to a cheaper alternative the next month without anyone keeping a close eye on when the change occurred.

If TLG can keep an eye on that (much easier said than done even if it is their own manufacturing plant)then the issue may not be too pronounced.

Bear in mind that one of TLG's principle markets now is USA and Americans go nuts over what's contained in their plastics. Probably another reason you don't see too many clear pieces.

The more I look at Helm's Deep, the more I must admit that I'm getting hyped for it.

And as a hater of fleshie minifigs, it pleases me that so many of the torsos seems usable with yellow hands and heads - and of course, all the bad guys can be used next to Fantasy Castle trolls and skeletons.

I'll probably end up getting quite a few of the LOTR sets after all. Though only at a really strong sale, as I still think licensed theme prices are ridiculous. But many good builds and pieces for my Castle setup.

It is seperate, don't worry. TLG has NEVER made a standard head and hair combo. :wink:

Did you even look at the photo?

I was talking with my brother when this range was first announced and said that I won't be getting any (I buy Lego to animate with and can't see myself doing any with the LoTR range), but the more I see the sets with the awesome detailing (seriously, the detailing of Theoden is fantastic looking) I can feel my attitude changing.

My bank account will resemble a national debt by the end of the year! :sad:

I was talking with my brother when this range was first announced and said that I won't be getting any (I buy Lego to animate with and can't see myself doing any with the LoTR range), but the more I see the sets with the awesome detailing (seriously, the detailing of Theoden is fantastic looking) I can feel my attitude changing.

My bank account will resemble a national debt by the end of the year! :sad:

At the very least I'd expect the new horses to appeal to animators!

Did you even look at the photo?

What, you've never taken a head off with its headgear still on before? Come on. Look at pictures of the front of the figure. It's not a single piece.

What, you've never taken a head off with its headgear still on before? Come on. Look at pictures of the front of the figure. It's not a single piece.

Agreed. It's only been taken off that way so the guy/lady could get a picture of the back printing. Imagine if it was one piece though? The modern lego minifig=action figure would definitely ramp up a notch :laugh:

At the very least I'd expect the new horses to appeal to animators!

They are nice aint they and really glad TLG have done a redesign of the horses. Just wish they made poseable legs for the Hobbits though

My apologies, I accidently started that discussion that it was single piece. I saw a picture of Legolas's head/hair piece off and quickly jumped to a conclusion. I tried to edit my post with "nevermind" when I saw the Hadir picture with the pieces separated.

I will be dropping star wars and other sets this summer specifically to collect LOTR. I love all of these sets and do plan to buy multiples to start army building!

I will be dropping star wars and other sets this summer specifically to collect LOTR. I love all of these sets and do plan to buy multiples to start army building!

Army building with this theme is going to be so expensive. :cry_sad: