wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I see that LoTR fans like to read long books, but also like to write very long posts. ;)

Its interesting to see so many speculations and there are some nice ideas, but I am afraid that TLG will not be so inovative.

From what I know (and comes from reliable source) LoTR sets structure and pricing will be the same as in PoTC. There will be sets from all three LoTR movies in first wave (or at least from two, 1st and 2nd) and we will get Hobbit sets in 2nd wave.

Wow, Cwetqo, this sounds like a confirm! That's great! I really hope the sets will be as good as Elander's ideas.

:classic:

Like I said, I've certainly been wrong before (I bought that they'd "never" bring back HP, for example), but LOTR is a bit more major than Dino, not the least reason of which is that, as a licensed theme, it involves parties OUTSIDE of LEGO to keep it under wraps, too.

That's a good point, but keep in mind that the Marvel and DC Superheroes theme is a major deal also and I don't recall any leaks about that before it took everyone by surprise when it was announced at Comic Con.

Don't get me wrong... as I've said all along, it's awesome if it happens, and I think it will be successful if they do it, I've just been better off being a skeptic.

I understand perfectly - I too am a skeptic when it comes to claims of future LEGO releases; but since Cwetqo has been around Eurobricks for awhile and has proven reliable in the past, I treat his claims with more credibility than the average poster.

And for the record, I've been wrong before too.

I see that LoTR fans like to read long books, but also like to write very long posts. ;)

:blush: Oh, is that so?

Its interesting to see so many speculations and there are some nice ideas, but I am afraid that TLG will not be so inovative.

LEGO is born for themes like Hobbit/LotR. And if not now innovative, when? Now has really the time come to be innovative!

I keep by the example THE SHIRE:

Serious; TLG has just to produce 1x small Hobbit-hole. In this LEGO-box put TLG 3x different doors (blue, red, green). So, and give that hole 2x -or 3x different smokestack- and maybe additional window options. And voila a new CREATOR hobbit hole is born. And if now this hole be modular. Than you can with just "1" developed hole to build a complete small hill. And the fantastic thing at this hill is -you can change the different door and can therefore create different hills. Now you to build your one's own Shire. -And that with only "one" small developed hobbit hole!

And additional you get "variable" hobbits:

But what is with the hobbits? Every time the same guys?

No! (Remember chapter 3): In that case we to put into these creator box 3 hobbits.

We have 7x holes a’ la 3 hobbits = 21 hobbits. Wow, that is a lot!

Now are in these creator box 3x different hairs, 3x different heads and 3x different torsos. Every head has 2x different faces and now we will see what we have:

3 (hairs) x 6(faces) x 3(torsos) = 56 variations! -Ok, that is enough! :thumbup:

So and now serious, why are "variable" minifigures absurd?

That topic is complete full with "possible" ideas.

-

I remember when this thread was about speculation and/or confirmation about Lego possibly doing a LOTR license.

It's devolved into one man's personal crusade to dream up his own ambitious if not grandiose vision of a Lord of the Rings theme, and an almost defiant refusal to let anyone disagree with him. I'm all for imagining the possibilities of future Lego releases, but perhaps said person might consider creating his own thread where he can share his thoughts to his heart's content.

Personally, I'm more for hearing the thoughts of Cwetqo and Aanchir about whether or not this thing is gonna happen!

So and now serious, why are "variable" minifigures absurd?

That topic is complete full with "possible" ideas.

Well, variable minifigures throw a huge complication into the packing and production process. For one thing, TLG tends to try and keep costs down by re-using torsos in numerous sets, so having multiple varieties per set would be somewhat costly. Arguably the cost factor could be eliminated just by having three different hobbits and more than three sets with the "variable hobbits", for instance, but there are other problems that also emerge.

For instance, some people might not like duplicates-- unlike the collectible minifigures, these aren't exactly "impulse sets" that you can just afford to keep buying more of until you have the parts you want. Also, there's the issue of customer satisfaction-- the "variable" nature of the figs would have to be presented quite blatantly on the packaging, and even if it was there would still be people disappointed that their set doesn't contain the same contents as pictured on the main box image (we get plenty of that already just from last-minute production changes).

Sets with variable contents wouldn't be totally absurd. Many BIONICLE sets had variable contents while still being larger investments than the collectible minifigures-- the Bohrok and Bohrok-Va had rubber "brains" called Krana that could appear in one of eight shapes in each set (since each one of these twelve sets had a different color of Krana, a full collection of all shapes in all colors would include 96 Krana). Thankfully for collectors, rather than having to buy huge quantities of Bohrok to amass such a collection, there were also Krana packs that included 3 Krana and two masks from the previous years in new gold and silver (Yellow Flip/Flop and Silver Flip/Flop, respectively) colors.

This sort of model was repeated several times during BIONICLE. The very next year there were the Bohrok-Kal sets which had Krana-Kal-- the same eight shapes as the Krana, but in metallic colors. Next were the Rahkshi, with six shapes of "Kraata" slugs in a whopping 42 two-color blended patterns-- a grand total of 252 possible Kraata, not including the six solid purple "Shadow Kraata" appearing in a later production run of the Rahkshi sets, or the single Transparent Fluorescent Reddish Orange Kraata included with a pair of BIONICLE-themed Nike tennis shoes (each Rahkshi set, again, only had one color pattern of Kraata included; this meant that 36 of the color patterns could only be obtained through Kraata packs).

Would printed patterns be possible to randomize in this way? Certainly. The 2005 collectibles, included in all that year's sets, were printed with random letter and number combinations in the BIONICLE alphabet (which had to be decoded), redeemable for points that could be put towards online bonus content like games and videos. Even this year's Hero Factory canisters have printed codes underneath the lids of the packaging, unlocking online games (although these are much less sophisticated prints than appear on most LEGO parts).

A bigger question would be whether it would be profitable. The randomly-packaged collectible packs were not profitable for TLG in the long run, and were cancelled after 2005 in favor of identically-packaged "ammo packs". Randomized contents in larger sets also ended after 2005. The Collectible Minifigures suggest that blind packaging could maybe be more feasible in System sets, but I don't think "variable" figs in larger sets are the way to do it; it could too easily just lead to customer dissatisfaction.

I remember when this thread was about speculation and/or confirmation about Lego possibly doing a LOTR license.

It's devolved into one man's personal crusade to dream up his own ambitious if not grandiose vision of a Lord of the Rings theme, and an almost defiant refusal to let anyone disagree with him. I'm all for imagining the possibilities of future Lego releases, but perhaps said person might consider creating his own thread where he can share his thoughts to his heart's content.

Personally, I'm more for hearing the thoughts of Cwetqo and Aanchir about whether or not this thing is gonna happen!

Hey, I don't know what kind of thoughts you expect me to contribute. I was a major skeptic before there were any really trustworthy sources claiming this would happen. Now, I'm not so sure-- it seems possible, and unless various sources we have are lying, probable, even though I'm not yet convinced that LotR sets are a certainty.

Some of Elander's suggestions are a little ambitious and over-the-top, seeing as many don't have precedent in other LEGO themes, but frankly a discussion of whether the theme will or will not happen would quickly get repetitive. He and some of the other posters in this topic have merely gone on to the bigger question of: If LotR sets happen, what kind of sets could be expected, and how would some of the more challenging parts of the franchise be handled?

Something I just want to point out: the One Ring in such a theme could be done with the new 1x1 round tile that was seen in some sets from the 2012 retailer's catalog. It has been seen to be printable in the Ninjago sets for 2012, and although still not a ring that could be worn on a minifigure's fingers (seeing as they don't have any :tongue: ), it would be a lot more convincing as a ring than one printed on a regular, square 1x1 tile.

You know, instead of just waiting and hoping Lego would make this theme, you guys should take the liberty yourselves and make the theme come to life with mocs and custom figs. Make this a project or something.

I never sit around and hope Lego makes the themes I want. I just make my own.

-Omi

You know, instead of just waiting and hoping Lego would make this theme, you guys should take the liberty yourselves and make the theme come to life with mocs and custom figs. Make this a project or something.

I never sit around and hope Lego makes the themes I want. I just make my own.

-Omi

Good point, with all the pieces that castle lines have introduced, especially the fantasy line, and of course the series three elf. Anyone could make their own LOTR theme without to much difficulty.

Good point, with all the pieces that castle lines have introduced, especially the fantasy line, and of course the series three elf. Anyone could make their own LOTR theme without to much difficulty.

Yes, anyone can do this, but some people, like myself, want TLG's versions of the film characters. Making LOTR with existing parts works, but it looks like castle, not LOTR. I just love the movies, and I love the books too, but i saw the films before I read the books. Ever since the movies came out I have wanted LEGO sets, and have made custom stuff, but am never satisfied.

Making LOTR with existing parts works, but it looks like castle, not LOTR.

So when Lego makes it, it is LoTR. But when fans make it, it is castle. That doesn't make sense.

That's like saying when fans make PoTC mocs, it is just pirates. Or SW mocs, but is just space.

-Omi

TLG can do things in a much more cost effective way with (possibly) new pieces and parts that would be very difficult to come by; in 1977 when I was 10 years old I was making Star Wars ships out of LEGO, so the idea certainly isn't lost on me... but LEGO X-Wings and Tie Fighters are much better and more detailed than I could ever make with generic parts.

Brickarms? Brickforge? That's great if you can afford $2 or more for a single part when a LEGO set would have a whole minifigure that essentially came out to be that much, complete with all accessories.

But it's not that bad... I'm up to 8 dwarves, and have about 16 elves, I have the "winged steeds" from the fantasy theme, I've made brown elf hair and am working on female elf hair - my first try at that, and many of my elves and dwarves can be seen in the last picture I posted on EB with my CMF display, in the lower right:

6175745707_78eb0ff4ed_m.jpg

DSCF0851 by FredJH, on Flickr

But that doesn't mean TLG couldn't make much better parts, and even if you don't like building sets, they can often be considered "inexpensive" collections of parts that get you a long way in a theme, whereas bricklink and PAB cost a lot more per piece. It's like wanting to build your own ship, so you buy one of LEGO's and get the majority of the pieces you need for a lot less than ordering them on BL.

Lastly, while I have no problem doing "forbidden" LEGO (modifying pieces), I can't find a good female hair to start with except one:

62696.jpg

A variety, even if only one or two more, would be great. I like modding, but I can't make hair.

So... it's not that I disagree, and I do spend extra cash on Brickforge and Brickarms occasionally, but for most people, with the kind of detail we care about these days (unlike when I was 11), it's a lot more cost effective and easier and faster with official sets... plus you are likely to get something you simply couldn't reasonably do on your own... Sauron? Oliphaunt? Who knows. Look at POTC, who's going to reasonably make a Davey Jones head on their own?

plus you are likely to get something you simply couldn't reasonably do on your own... Sauron?

Boom

Oliphaunt?

Boom

Look at POTC, who's going to reasonably make a Davey Jones head on their own?

Boom

Anymore curve balls you wanna throw at me? :P

-Omi

Hi, I've been watching this forum for a long time and just decided to join. I found these set lists at

http://www.miniland.nl/Nieuws/Artikelen/the%20hobbit%202012%20aug%202011.htm

http://www.miniland.nl/Nieuws/Artikelen/lord%20of%20the%20rings%202012%20aug%202011.htm

LOTR set list 2012:

1. € 19.99 Bag End

2. € 39.99 Battle for Helm's Deep

3. € 59.99 The Orthanac

4. € 99.99 Siege at Gondor

The Hobbit set list 2012:

1. $9.99 Gollum's Cave

2. $19.99 Troll Encounter

3. $29.99 Smaug's Cavern

4. $49.99 TBA

TLG can do things in a much more cost effective way with (possibly) new pieces and parts that would be very difficult to come by; in 1977 when I was 10 years old I was making Star Wars ships out of LEGO, so the idea certainly isn't lost on me... but LEGO X-Wings and Tie Fighters are much better and more detailed than I could ever make with generic parts.

I feel the same way, and this is the one of the few reasons why I like licensed sets even if we have too many. Few things can match up to Lego's design and manufacture process. This is not to say that custom stuff is never better than Lego, of course, but it is much more affordable and easier for the average Joe if Lego makes the parts.}

Edit: By the way, that custom Sauron is awesome! :grin:

Edited by johnnyvgoode

And they can be yours today for only...well, only one's for sale, for $15. :wacko:

Customs aren't cheap.

Neither is Lego. :P

-Omi

Hi, I've been watching this forum for a long time and just decided to join. I found these set lists at

http://www.miniland.nl/Nieuws/Artikelen/the%20hobbit%202012%20aug%202011.htm

http://www.miniland.nl/Nieuws/Artikelen/lord%20of%20the%20rings%202012%20aug%202011.htm

LOTR set list 2012:

1. € 19.99 Bag End

3. € 59.99 The Orthanac

1. $9.99 Gollum's Cave

3. $29.99 Smaug's Cavern

4. $49.99 TBA

Don't know about that source. It also lists Godzilla 2012. Has this been confirmed elsewhere?

Don't know about that source. It also lists Godzilla 2012. Has this been confirmed elsewhere?

The Godzilla ones (and probably these too) originate from a blog entry on Brickipedia early this year. They're 100% bogus.

Boom

Boom

Boom

Anymore curve balls you wanna throw at me? :P

-Omi

:classic:

Except what I was saying is most of us are not capable of making those (especially Sauron and Davey Jones, not sure about the Oliphaunts). Moreover, that Davey Jones... it's really not that great. Sauron, also... Sauron would have to be a lot taller.

An official LEGO set with those characters would be much better, without a doubt... but as I mentioned earlier, even if they just did fantasy 2 - we got a lot of great LOTR type things in fantasy, I'd be happy.

In all these pages hasn't anyone noticed something, this topic is aloud to continue in the Licensed forum even though there are no official sets/theme in Lego ? :look:

Is there some truth to the theme becoming a reality ? :wink:

http://www.miniland....0aug%202011.htm

http://www.miniland....0aug%202011.htm

LOTR set list 2012:

1. € 19.99 Bag End

3. € 59.99 The Orthanac

1. $9.99 Gollum's Cave

3. $29.99 Smaug's Cavern

4. $49.99 TBA

This is not what I saw, at least not all of it. It could be that TLG changed some sets and price ranges, but I doubt it (it is too late for that).

This is not what I saw, at least not all of it. It could be that TLG changed some sets and price ranges, but I doubt it (it is too late for that).

What did you see???

Wait, you have seen a list of LOTR sets? If so, do share it with us! :sweet:

Wait, you have seen a list of LOTR sets? If so, do share it with us! :sweet:

Or at least drop some hints at what is and isn't included or something ? :wink: