wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

So, with a few more days left until 2012 is history, what do people think of LOTR/HOBBIT now? To me, it seems like yesterday we were arguing over whether it was even plausible that TLG would do LOTR, whether it was a good idea, and whether it would sell. Now we've seen one wave from each trilogy, and although I have seen some disappointment around the forums - not enough grand architecture, too many stickers, no bendy legs for the dwarves, etc. - it seems like overall the theme is a BIG winner for TLG. The sets are not all super-legendary quality, but most of them are good, and some of them are brilliant. The minifigs are incredible, most of the sets are reasonably priced, and it seems like the theme is selling very well. It might not be "The Next LSW", but it certainly seems like a successful theme that could go for at least three years and inspire an active fandom amongst AFOLs, second only to LSW.

What say you? Any lingering disappointments? Does anybody just plain not like this theme?

So, with a few more days left until 2012 is history, what do people think of LOTR/HOBBIT now? To me, it seems like yesterday we were arguing over whether it was even plausible that TLG would do LOTR, whether it was a good idea, and whether it would sell. Now we've seen one wave from each trilogy, and although I have seen some disappointment around the forums - not enough grand architecture, too many stickers, no bendy legs for the dwarves, etc. - it seems like overall the theme is a BIG winner for TLG. The sets are not all super-legendary quality, but most of them are good, and some of them are brilliant. The minifigs are incredible, most of the sets are reasonably priced, and it seems like the theme is selling very well. It might not be "The Next LSW", but it certainly seems like a successful theme that could go for at least three years and inspire an active fandom amongst AFOLs, second only to LSW.

What say you? Any lingering disappointments? Does anybody just plain not like this theme?

I agree with every thing said here! Love this theme! The first set I got was the Orc Forge, and I was shocked by the fact that it had a base. All the sets I have are great quality. I think the secrercy Lego is using for the 2013 LOTR sets proves that it is successful! Great job Lego! :sweet:

206eh4h.png

Made a design for a cape for Yazneg, i find the thing lego put on him looks terrible.some would propably prefer it in beige, but in the movie hes bone stuff is pretty dark looking.

Edited by deskp

Wow! That's WAY better! After seeing the movie I was wondering why Lego didn't do something like that. I'll do something like that! :thumbup:

Firstly, deskp, that looks fantastic! I would much prefer that on my Yazneg the the current piece LEGO provided.

Secondly, in response to Gryphon Ink, I also find it crazy that a whole year has past since the initial discussion and speculation started for this theme. Honestly, I think this is the best license and theme they have ever made. For the longest time, LSW was my first and foremost theme I bought, but I always wanted LEGO LOTR, spending hours thinking about what sorts of sets LEGO could make and how they would be dispersed in a wave, so the fact that some of my dreams are coming true, along with The Hobbit sets which I never even began to imagine, I couldn't be happier! I really hope that this theme lasts at least a year after the last Hobbit film is released, and by the end of it, we have been given not only some amazing new pieces and army builders, but also all of the essential scenes and characters to span over all six Middle-Earth films. Amazing job, LEGO! Keep up the fantastic work!

Firstly, deskp, that looks fantastic! I would much prefer that on my Yazneg the the current piece LEGO provided.

Secondly, in response to Gryphon Ink, I also find it crazy that a whole year has past since the initial discussion and speculation started for this theme. Honestly, I think this is the best license and theme they have ever made. For the longest time, LSW was my first and foremost theme I bought, but I always wanted LEGO LOTR, spending hours thinking about what sorts of sets LEGO could make and how they would be dispersed in a wave, so the fact that some of my dreams are coming true, along with The Hobbit sets which I never even began to imagine, I couldn't be happier! I really hope that this theme lasts at least a year after the last Hobbit film is released, and by the end of it, we have been given not only some amazing new pieces and army builders, but also all of the essential scenes and characters to span over all six Middle-Earth films. Amazing job, LEGO! Keep up the fantastic work!

I agree Fives! LOTR is by far my favorite current theme! :sweet:

Guys- please stop quoting an entire long post just to say, "I agree". Only quote language you are responding directly to. It makes reading this thread annoying on a mobile device.

Thank you.

So, with a few more days left until 2012 is history, what do people think of LOTR/HOBBIT now? To me, it seems like yesterday we were arguing over whether it was even plausible that TLG would do LOTR,

Any doubts or concerns about the line may have evaporated with the Hobbit wave. When the Wall Street Journal identified the Unexpected Gathering as one of the most popular toys of the holiday season I wept with joy.

Edited by Faefrost

I just went though my holiday tradition of lego building and built the 6 sets from the hobbit and was extremely impressed. Normally my favorite things to build are castles or larger structures but each one of these sets had major bonuses and im extremely glad that i bought the wave. LOTR/The Hobbit is by far my favorite theme, i find myself obsessed thinking of future sets and how to display them in a "map of middle earth" type style on a large table or something. I really hope this set is long one and think TLG had a wonderful game plan of releasing them along with the hobbit movies to get some free advertising. Ive actually been reading rumors also of "re-releases of the LOTR trilogy" in 3D. If this were to happen im sure it would get more "younger fans" that liked the hobbit but were too young when the orignal release of the trilogy happened to become fans.

Does anyone have any idea what the blue flame pieces are supposed to represent in the "Attack of the Wargs" set?

Does anyone have any idea what the blue flame pieces are supposed to represent in the "Attack of the Wargs" set?

The pine cones Gandalf hurled at the wargs were lit with magical, blue flames in the book. I can only assume that TLG had to rely on information based on the novel when creating the set.

Pine cones, I would say - in the book, he sets them on fire with multicolored flames and throws them at the Wargs. They were of normal fire color in the films, but the set designers probably didnt know that.

Any doubts or concerns about the line may have evaporated with the Hobbit wave. When the Wall Street Journal identified the Unexpected Gathering as one of the most popular toys of the holiday season I wept with joy.

Yes, and the fact that four of the six sets are in the top 15 best seller list for bulding toys at Amazon shows this wave is doing VERY well. Especially when you consider the fact that Amazon is out of stock of the Unexpected Gathering set, and the Barrel Escape is a TRU exclusive or theoe two would also probably be in there. Heck, even the Goblin King Battle cracked the top 100 in the toys and games, which says a lot, though I am sure this was mainly due to it's heavily slashed price being almost 30% off at one point.

Edited by Deathleech

I have finally tracked down an Uruk Hai Army set! Toys R Us got them back in stock and have put up a notice saying 2 per customer only... so I was right, the shortage of sets isn't a shortage at all, but it's down to the people who bought multiples! it's a big shame for those who didn't get one :/ I checked on the website and it's the same there, 2 per person! I did want to army build but I did that with the Uruk Hai polybags from the Sun because I didn't want to take away from someone else's collection because if I bought more than one, someone somewhere else misses out, which is a big shame (yes, you could argue that I took away from someone elses collection with multiple poly bags, but believe me, in Edinburgh they had so many and they were snapped up very very quickly which is why I'm glad I left the house at 7am!), and with the success of the Hobbit sets, more LOTR sets have been selling (in my area anyway, the sets I keep seeing on shelves are Shelob, Helms Deep and Mines of Moria, and it used to be loads of everything!) so it looks to be a bright future! I can't wait to buy the game in Game so I can get Elrond! then my LOTR collection really is complete! :D

Wasn't Elrond just a preorder bonus?

In some places he comes as part of a "special edition" for a higher price.

Completed the dwarf collection thanks to Boxing Day sales:

8316769206_a08d1da20d_z.jpg

Edited by Artanis I

In some places he comes as part of a "special edition" for a higher price.

In the UK in GAME Stores if you buy the game, you get him free, even if you don't want him, you get him for free :)

In the UK in GAME Stores if you buy the game, you get him free, even if you don't want him, you get him for free :)

Lucky. I never got a chance at one, but, I'll just wait for the Council of Elrond set.

Lucky. I never got a chance at one, but, I'll just wait for the Council of Elrond set.

Thats not in his awesome armor though!

Edited by deskp

I never much cared for Legolas and Tautiels shared legs, its a mix of their styles, wich makes it look like it doesent work for any of them.

25tkhgy.png

Edited by deskp

The elves all should have had hair like you made deskp.

Also I never noticed that Legolas minifig is flawed, always noticed something off and now I will always see this problem. Sad that Lego decided to reuse the leg prints to save money, not surprising but sad all the more.

Edited by Mahtion

just picked up mirkwood spiders, the only set i could find in central wellington today, i got the last copy, damn these sets are selling great!