wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

i wonder what they will do with sarumans, if i remember correctly its a white stafff with a black jewel at the top but i may be mistaken. For those that have seen the movie, are there any swords already released that are a closer fit to orcsist? The movie has it with only one side having the handguard part (i guess thats what they are called).

It's a black one, so they'll probably just give him a black staff. ;)

i wonder what they will do with sarumans, if i remember correctly its a white stafff with a black jewel at the top but i may be mistaken. For those that have seen the movie, are there any swords already released that are a closer fit to orcsist? The movie has it with only one side having the handguard part (i guess thats what they are called).

Well, in the Prince of Persia movie, Dastan's sword only has a one sided hand guard. I guess you could just use the sword that TLG gave him. Was it a katana?

For the Gandalf staff try using 2 brown hands facing each other at the top. like here http://www.mocpages....392/1348006287m .

My chosen solution to Gandalf's official, rather plain staff is to add two of those 1x1 "flower studs" to the top, in brown. Anyone know the pieces I am talking about? It is part 229 on bricklink. Just stick two brown ones on top of LEGO's staff and voila! It looks great in my opinion, and it is a piece that comes spare which is good :wink:

I know the exact flower piece you talk about, but what set does it come in? I'd be interested in testing this myself.

We have seen 5 Wizard staffs in the movies so far

Gandalf's from FotR - Basically a twisted tree root. Grey Brown. tapered wood with A big spiky root blob at the top, narrowing sharply as it goes down. There was a clear white gem placed in the top for light when in Moria.

Saruman's from FotR, TT, RotK - Straight grey metal staff with a crown of vertical blades at the top encircling a round milky white gem.

Galdalf's from TT and RotK - Straight white wood with a carved pinecone shape at the top.

Radagasts from H:TUJ - remarkably similar to Gandalf's FotR staff. tapered wood, Grey Brown. Has some sort of bluish gem or tooth stuck in the top

Gandalf's from H:TUJ - Similar to his FotR staff, but the roots at the top sweep in a more pronounced direction rather than spreading. Kind of a swept back look.

I have the hobbit art and design book by Weta and the Gandalf staff is supposed to resemble a living flame as if the wood has encased the fire. Pretty cool detail since they based this off of Mithrandir having the elven ring of fire, Narya which he received from Cirdan.

Also Orcrist looks nothing like a katana but I used the Brickforge Kukri tactical sword in true steel and it at least resembles the shape.

My Ecthelion:

8289372449_41fb7f70a8_n.jpg

Orcrist detail by Mahtion, on Flickr

Edited by Mahtion

Just got the Unexpected Gathering, it's a great set. Unfortunately, I've just found out that stores in Mexico are not getting neither the Wargs nor the Barrel sets. :sad:

I know the exact flower piece you talk about, but what set does it come in? I'd be interested in testing this myself.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=229&colorID=88&in=A

I just checked the catalogue for the part on Bricklink (above): it comes in three rather large sets (Kingdoms Joust, Pet Shop and the Friends Summer Riding Camp). I have Kingdoms Joust and Pet Shop, and they both came with spares. So, if you are lucky enough to have any of these rather large sets, then you can do it! Otherwise, it looks like it's pretty hard to come by (so far, I am sure we'll see more brown flower parts in the future, hopefully in smaller sets).

:wink:

Id like to see this piece on the staff because I just don't see how it makes it look more like his staff from the movies. Im sure it looks pretty cool but as far as being more realistic to the movies I just don't see it. I've messed with a couple different options to get the "twisted roots" look and couldn't get anything too great. I actually cut a portion off the top of a brown broom and that didn't look that bad but I went back to the normal brown staff. I wish I had the flower stem part in brown (the one I have is green and they came in the burrows and weathertop sets). If the stems were a little shorter and you put a trans-yellow or similar bulb in the middle then it might look ok.

Just ordered Bag End on BL for half the price here, plus 3 other sets costing me just over the price of a Helm's Deep here in Australia. BL I love you.

I actually used the brown hands idea, and it looks great, and you can put a clear gem stone at the top. To me, it's the best way of solving this problem.

Id like to see this piece on the staff because I just don't see how it makes it look more like his staff from the movies. Im sure it looks pretty cool but as far as being more realistic to the movies I just don't see it. I've messed with a couple different options to get the "twisted roots" look and couldn't get anything too great. I actually cut a portion off the top of a brown broom and that didn't look that bad but I went back to the normal brown staff. I wish I had the flower stem part in brown (the one I have is green and they came in the burrows and weathertop sets). If the stems were a little shorter and you put a trans-yellow or similar bulb in the middle then it might look ok.

If you are slicing and dicing parts to get the look right, the alternate option is Brickforge makes a Wizards Staff that is pretty dead on.

Since its been discussed and I didn't see a pic put up here yet, here's a couple of shots for reference of the new Fierce Flyer with Hobbit minifigs.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8215/8293508522_9b9375eb91.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8492/8292455669_37e848dc99.jpg

Also, since we're on the topic Gandalfs staff, he's holding a brickforge one in the first picture.

Your Etchelion looks great! :wub:

What spear does the Elf wear, looks great too?

The spear was intended for Ecthelion, it is a Brickforge Javelin in True silver. I made a brick built spear ala ninjago but took it apart for parts later.

I was going to pick up the mirkwood spiders set at the shopping center but it was gone :cry_sad: and they don't restock. I hate you Mexico.

Just a heads up for those in the U.S., Amazon currently has the Goblin King Battle for a shockingly low $71.47 (29% off!): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TCYK2E/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p21_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1NNMMTSJVHFAATB0TRCN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Yeah Walmart online had them for $74 so I snagged one and then saw the amazon deal.

Yeah Walmart online had them for $74 so I snagged one and then saw the amazon deal.

I saw that Wal-Mart had Weathertop priced at $45 a few days ago. That's a far more sensible price, if you ask me :sceptic: .

Now that I've seen The Hobbit I have to say I'm much more impressed with the Goblin King set than I initially was. A great small-scale representation of what was in the movie, I especially like how LEGO incorporated the little scribe goblin in the bucket. :laugh: Still not sure whether I'll get it or not, but definitely more interested now than I was (and the wallet weeps). Same goes for the Wargs set (despite the inaccurate minifigure).

I just got a great Christmas present: the Escape from Mirkwood Spiders, which is the first set of the Hobbit line released in this corner of the world. I just love the minifigs and the dark feeling of the set. :wub:

I bought myself the Mirkwood Spiders and Warg Attack sets off Amazon last week, only to find my wife had already snagged me Mirkwood Spiders and it was wrapped under the tree the whole time. All that means is more spiders & trees, and extra elves & dwarfs for MOCs! My wife also got me An Unexpected Gathering, so I'm about halfway thru the Hobbit wave! My mother got me Mines of Moria, so my LOTR Lego wave is complete. Having loads of fun with these sets, looking forward to building (or finishing) them in the next few days!

is it just me or is the Uruk Hai Army the hardest set to find in the Lord of the Rings wave now? I never got it for Christmas because my parents couldn't find it, and the only place I can find it lists it at full price, I have £70 so I'll probably go and snap it up before it's too late!