wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Germans might be interested to hear that I saw The Hobbit sets today at Karstadt in Giessen

(I just noticed that wargs rhymes with orcs. Tolkien must have done that on purpose. Why did I not see that before. It also took me 15 years to realise that Ewok is Wookie inverted.)

Why did I not see that before. It also took me 15 years to realise that Ewok is Wookie inverted.)

It might console you to know that they weren't named that because of Wookiees. Ewoks are named after the Miwok, the Native Americans who lived in the area where the Endor scenes were filmed.

It might console you to know that they weren't named that because of Wookiees. Ewoks are named after the Miwok, the Native Americans who lived in the area where the Endor scenes were filmed.

Ah thanks, I thought the similarity in name was there to anticipate the growing friendship between Chewbaca and the Ewoks.

And going back to topic...

The first wargs show up on bricklink. They are what interests me the most although they are hard to combine with elves aestheticwise. The same goes for the bear that has been around for a while. I need a good idea but it's not easy. And: Where are new horses in new colours? Strange that it takes so long...

And: Where are new horses in new colours? Strange that it takes so long...

Yes, that's one slight disappointment.

Germans might be interested to hear that I saw The Hobbit sets today at Karstadt in Giessen

I'm not german but this is great news! Means the sets are quietly hitting European countries. Cant wait to buy the lot.

A new Hobbit gallery has been released, and it gives us the first good look at the Great Goblin.

http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/The_Hobbit__An_Unexpected_Journey/large/hr_The_Hobbit%3A_An_Unexpected_Journey_144.jpg

This gives us a really great idea of what he looks like, and how accurate LEGO got it, even if TLG had to dial down the ugly quite a bit! :laugh:

Went to my local TRU today. They had some sets out. But the prices...

Riddles: $14.99 :facepalm:

Barrels: $48.99 :wall:

Wargs: $65.99 :ugh:

They have the Goblin set too but up high so no price.

Went to my local TRU today. They had some sets out. But the prices...

Riddles: $14.99 :facepalm:

Barrels: $48.99 :wall:

Wargs: $65.99 :ugh:

They have the Goblin set too but up high so no price.

Shouldn't it be:

Riddles: $9,99

*pewdiepie's voice* BARRELS!!: $39,99

Wargs:: $49,99.

I love how the Great Goblin looks. That set just seems a little pricey for what it is. Some great figs, but the rest is mainly just little sections of terrain. Compare it to the MF Vampires Castle, in the same price range, and the Goblin set just feels a little light in terms of non minifig substance.

Shouldn't it be:

Riddles: $9,99

*pewdiepie's voice* BARRELS!!: $39,99

Wargs:: $49,99.

With the TRU markup it should be (actual MSRP in bolded parenthesis):

Riddles for the Ring - $12.99 ($9.99)

Escape from Mirkwood Spiders - $34.99 ($29.99)

Barrel Escape - $44.99 ($39.99)

Attack of the Wargs - $59.99 ($49.99)

An Unexpected Gathering - $69.99 ($79.99)

Goblin King Battle - $114.99 ($99.99)

As you can see markup ranges anywhere from 3 bucks, to $15 at TRU with the Hobbit sets. Even with the BOGO 50% off sale TRU is running you probably are better off buying them somewhere like the Lego store and getting the 5% back UNLESS you are buying 2 of everything in the line to maximize your discount. Otherwise the 50% off is the lower of two purchases so if you bought say the Goblin King Battle and Unexpected Gathering sets that's gonna cost you $165 (115+(80/2=40)). You could get them for $170 (100+70) at the Lego store, and 8% back with the VIP. Apparently TRU is running a few other deals which might be worthwhile though, such as 25 bucks off a $150 purchase if you use a Mastercard, their own TRU credit card which gives you 5% off I believe of any purchase, and you can get a kid's meal at Wendy's for 2 bucks and you get a free 10 dollar gift card to TRU with it. I need to check out that last deal as it might be pretty good pending the terms and conditions.

EDIT: You need to spend $75 or more to use the $10 gift card from Wendy's... I figured it was too good to be true. Still, if this stacks with the BOGO and such it might not be a bad bonus.

Edited by Deathleech

Yeah I was at TRU earlier before I learned they had 30212 on the truck and according to the markups you could save money IF you purchase similar priced sets.

I was thinking about getting Mirkwood spiders and Uruk-Hai army which would be 32.99 (24.99 should be price) and 34.99 so this would cost 16.50 + 34.99 = 51.49 whereas normally at unmarked prices = 54.98

Likewise if you could get Barrel Escape 44.99 + Wargs it would be 59.99 + 22.50 = 82.49 whereas normally unmarked would be 89.98

As you can see the deal works if you can get lego sets which are as close in price to one another as possible.

Does the online TRU site honor the buy one get 50% deal?

Does the online TRU site honor the buy one get 50% deal?

It doesn't look like they do, no.

I wonder if you go in store and show them MSRP at other places online, if they will price match at TRU and then give you the BOGO 50% off deal? That would make it a "real" 25% off everything which is fantastic for a new line just released.

Edited by Deathleech

I would like to point out to people who are not yet aware that ToysRus does do a price-match guarantee during the holidays so, you could use that and combine it with their coupons and get some great deals. Also there are several other stores that sell Lego that have rewards programs that could help a lot as well. For instance I know of a local small toy store call SnapDoodle Toys that has a 10% rewards program for every $100 dollars spent on merchandise including Legos at their store. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

Unfortunately, TRU won't let you combine a price match with a promotion. I tried this just the other day, and the customer service guy said that it was either one or the other; the computer won't let you do both. I said that that was ridiculous since I only wanted them to bring the Funhouse Escape set down to normal retail price, but they still wouldn't bite. I guess if you happen to get a really cool manager, they might be able to override the system.

For the sets themselves (not the polybags), I saw just buy from Lego.com - you get the VIP points, and depending on your state, no tax. Better deal than the inflated BOGO50. Polybags though....hit up your local TRU and grab everything they have!

With the TRU markup it should be (actual MSRP in bolded parenthesis):

Riddles for the Ring - $12.99 ($9.99)

Escape from Mirkwood Spiders - $34.99 ($29.99)

Barrel Escape - $44.99 ($39.99)

Attack of the Wargs - $59.99 ($49.99)

An Unexpected Gathering - $69.99 ($79.99)

Goblin King Battle - $114.99 ($99.99)

Yeah that is the strange thing. Those are the online prices (what you put) but what was in store was higher... Hmmm

Yeah that is the strange thing. Those are the online prices (what you put) but what was in store was higher... Hmmm

Add transfer costs to the online prices and you probably have the same prices as in the actual store.

That's what both my brick and mortar TRU stores had them available for as well. Yours were even higher...??

Edited by Deathleech

Picked up Barrels and Wargs sets at TRU today. With the sale it came out a little cheaper than ordering them from lego.

Seems the Hobbit sets disappeared from the Belgian online store :sceptic:

Anyway here's the commercial:

(I just noticed that wargs rhymes with orcs. Tolkien must have done that on purpose. Why did I not see that before. It also took me 15 years to realise that Ewok is Wookie inverted.)

Also for Germans: in REAL there are some sets with reduced prices:

Helm's Deep - 30 euro down to approx 110 euro.

Mines of Moria - 12 euro down to approx 58 euro

Bag End is the only set, so far available, fm the Hobbit's series and now on X-mas price: 69,95 euro ( 10 euro discount )

which can be seen as a bargain, comparing to the prices in the toy shops around.

Has anyone else noticed a couple of the helm/head pieces for the new Hobbit sets are the soft flexible rubber? For example Bofur's hat, Oin's hair/beard pieces, and the bald goblin ears/cap. I find this interesting because it seems totally random, and often there are other head pieces in the exact same set made from the harder ABS plastic. Bofur's kind of makes sense since it's such a big floppy piece but why is Oin's hair rubbery while Gloins is the normal hard plastic, and why are all the goblin ear/bald caps the rubber?

When I looked up the BOGO 50% off deal for TRU on their website, it said that the deal excluded Hobbit sets. Is this the case, or am I misunderstanding the sale?

I ordered the barrel escape set from the belgian site on tuesday, and today It already arrived.

Edited by Moexy

Has anyone else noticed a couple of the helm/head pieces for the new Hobbit sets are the soft flexible rubber? For example Bofur's hat, Oin's hair/beard pieces, and the bald goblin ears/cap. I find this interesting because it seems totally random, and often there are other head pieces in the exact same set made from the harder ABS plastic. Bofur's kind of makes sense since it's such a big floppy piece but why is Oin's hair rubbery while Gloins is the normal hard plastic, and why are all the goblin ear/bald caps the rubber?

My impression is that pointy pieces (with potentially painful eye-poking ability) are often made of softer rubbery plastic.