wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

My biggest disappointment has to be the lack of Orcrist in the Wargs Attack set.

That would have been nice but I figured they weren't going to make a new mold for something that most people aren't aware of.

That would have been nice but I figured they weren't going to make a new mold for something that most people aren't aware of.

Well, judging from the alternate trailer ending in which Elrond gives the names of Glamdring and Orcrist, I expect the sword will have a more significant importance than people would think. I doubt any sword in these three films will have the same level of significance as Anduril from LOTR, but still, it is an important sword. It would have been nice if we had gotten a Glamdring mold as well, and then had all three ancient glowing elven blades in LEGO form.

I think before the end, we may yet get everything - Anduril, Glamdring, Orcist, Gandalf's staff, etc. They would all make for good incentive pieces to add to a set to make it that much more desirable. When people get tired of seeing Gandalf, Lego can just throw in the staff and make him a bit more new and fresh.

At a TRU near me the salesperson said that they had the Hobbit Lego sets, but had to take them off the shelfs because the license with The Hobbit Movie wouldn't let them be sold yet, not Lego. Interesting right!

Interesting indeed, if not a little odd. I mean all the other Hobbit toys such as the action figures have been on shelves for months now. Also why would K-mart be putting them outa week or two early, but not any other retailer?

If it's any consolation, the release of the Hobbit sets in the UK is proving pretty random too. For those of us who took advantage of the Amazon pre-order price reduction, the sets are now listed in our accounts as not arriving before Christmas. TRU meanwhile have them down as being released on 1st December. There's no TRU mark-up in the UK, but the sets are expensive at full price. It leaves me in a bit of a dilemma, as my youngest has "Lego Bag End" as item 2 on her letter to Father Christmas. Getting it from Amazon for £44.99 was great, so I'll be pretty unimpressed if I end up having to get it at the full price of £59.99 to be certain of having it wrapped and under the tree come the 25th.

Yeah, indeed. I also took advantage from the discount on amazon.uk and also have to wait till 24december but if you look at amazon.de they have the release date as 1st december :(

Well, judging from the alternate trailer ending in which Elrond gives the names of Glamdring and Orcrist, I expect the sword will have a more significant importance than people would think. I doubt any sword in these three films will have the same level of significance as Anduril from LOTR, but still, it is an important sword. It would have been nice if we had gotten a Glamdring mold as well, and then had all three ancient glowing elven blades in LEGO form.

Aren't Orcrist and Glamdring pretty closely twins? I still think he easiest way to do those two swords, and a distinctive Sting is to simply use existing molds and cast them in the new Monster Fighters glow in the dark plastic.

Now Anduril (and Narscil (sp?) deserves its own special mold.

In the upcoming film, Orcrist is a single-sided blade with a waisting on the edge side and an asymmetrical cross guard.

Edited by SirBlake

Neither sword is really mentioned that much in the book, and Thorin barely even uses Orcist other than at the Battle of the Five Armies. After they initially get the weapons I think they are only mentioned maybe 2-3 times total throughout the rest of the book. Unless the films are different, I could understand why Lego wouldn't bother making a special mold for either.

Edited by Deathleech

Neither sword is really mentioned that much in the book, and Thorin barely even uses Orcist other than at the Battle of the Five Armies. After they initially get the weapons I think they are only mentioned maybe 2-3 times total throughout the rest of the book. Unless the films are different, I could understand why Lego wouldn't bother making a special mold for either.

Thorin used Orcrist in the battle with the goblins, only. The blade was taken from him when he was captured by the Mirkwood elves. He didn't have Orcrist during the Battle of the Five Armies. Thranduil gave it back after Throin had passed away.

I got the Elrond edition of the LotR game today, and inside was a code for Character Pack 3. It comes with Faramir in armour and a Barrow-wight.

Has anyone else got this? It says it is exclusive to PS3. Do any other systems have different characters?

I got the Elrond edition of the LotR game today, and inside was a code for Character Pack 3. It comes with Faramir in armour and a Barrow-wight.

Has anyone else got this? It says it is exclusive to PS3. Do any other systems have different characters?

Were those the only characters?

Ow ok, I ordered it from amazon.de (normally it arrives monday, but I still hope for today :cry_happy: )

I'll check it when the game arrives.

The thing that is bugging me with the elves coming out is no cloaks and due to their long flowing locks no allowance for a quiver on their backs. I remedied this with the Legolas I have and some careful trimming with a hobby knife and an Eomer cloak. Think they could have produced a work around, but really the mod is fairly simple to do and with my poor skills managed first go with cutting anything off. For army building it looks a bit stupid if they all don't have quivers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38829611@N07/8211270494/in/photostream

At a TRU near me the salesperson said that they had the Hobbit Lego sets, but had to take them off the shelfs because the license with The Hobbit Movie wouldn't let them be sold yet, not Lego. Interesting right!

Yea the same happend to me,on octomber I got two hobbit sets but lego told them the same thing because they sold them very early.

Thorin used Orcrist in the battle with the goblins, only. The blade was taken from him when he was captured by the Mirkwood elves. He didn't have Orcrist during the Battle of the Five Armies. Thranduil gave it back after Throin had passed away.

Exactly my point! I just re-read the Hobbit a month ago and don't even remember exactly when Orcist was used or mentioned, since it was so little. I remember tons of other details, but almost nothing about Orcist or Glamdring other than them being ancient elven blades that glow. I don't remember them being used or mentioned much after that since Thorin didn't even have Orcist throughout most the book and after Gandalf got Glamdring he disappeared for a majority of it. Why then would Lego create unique, new molds for something that plays such a minor role? It would be cool if they could add every little detail, but unreasonably costly so they have to pick and choose. I am glad we got unique molds for almost all the dwarven hair pieces rather than a Glamdring or Orcist mold.

The thing that is bugging me with the elves coming out is no cloaks and due to their long flowing locks no allowance for a quiver on their backs. I remedied this with the Legolas I have and some careful trimming with a hobby knife and an Eomer cloak. Think they could have produced a work around.

Oh Lego easily could of done a work around, they did it with Fili and Kili and just made their hair have a small part where the quiver is. It doesn't look too noticeable without a quiver due to the scraggly hair, and with it looks fantastic. The elves not Not being able to equip a quiver with their hair piece doesn't really bother so much as the fact Lego has used the same hair for EVERY LotR/Hobbit elf so far, just in different colors. At least give us one or two other options?

The thing that is bugging me with the elves coming out is no cloaks and due to their long flowing locks no allowance for a quiver on their backs. I remedied this with the Legolas I have and some careful trimming with a hobby knife and an Eomer cloak. Think they could have produced a work around, but really the mod is fairly simple to do and with my poor skills managed first go with cutting anything off. For army building it looks a bit stupid if they all don't have quivers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38829611@N07/8211270494/in/photostream

That looks great. Did you trim the hairpiece or the quiver?

The Hobbit sets at Walmart. There was no Barrel Escape (TRU) and Goblin King Battle. Prices were slightly under MSRP.

Same here! No Goblin King or Barrel Escape. The prices were normal though. This was at the Walmart in Boca Raton, Florida.

Edited by just2good

Exactly my point! I just re-read the Hobbit a month ago and don't even remember exactly when Orcist was used or mentioned, since it was so little. I remember tons of other details, but almost nothing about Orcist or Glamdring other than them being ancient elven blades that glow. I don't remember them being used or mentioned much after that since Thorin didn't even have Orcist throughout most the book and after Gandalf got Glamdring he disappeared for a majority of it. Why then would Lego create unique, new molds for something that plays such a minor role? It would be cool if they could add every little detail, but unreasonably costly so they have to pick and choose. I am glad we got unique molds for almost all the dwarven hair pieces rather than a Glamdring or Orcist mold.

Yea but we dont know what role will play the Orcist in the movie,maybe peter jackson changed something,maybe we'll see more of the Orcist in the movie, after all if lego intends to make a lego hobbit trilogy video game i expect the Orcist in lego version,because untill now we dont have aragorns sword but in the game he has it so we might get it in the next wave of LOTR.

That looks great. Did you trim the hairpiece or the quiver?

Thanks.

The quiver. Had to put it on an old torso piece to keep it steady and do it really slowly making cuts into the quiver then slowly chiselling it out.