wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Looks like the Red Book of Westmarch on the right of the interior shot. but what is that dark orange or nougat piece on the floor of the set between the book and the table, on the far right? A bundle of firewood?

It's a baguette.

Bifur doese not wear blue, and his hair is more puffy.

The more I look at the Bag End set, the more I find myself blown away! When I first saw the pic, I didn't feel like I was looking at a set, but rather a really good MOC.

I was surprised when so many people were saying how amazing the set looks, and it dawned on me that the reason is it looks like a MOC. Compared to any other set in the LOTR wave, this Bag End looks like it could have been made by a fan rather than be an official product! I think that this set will be the best selling set from The Hobbit wave, if not of all of the Middle-Earth sets so far!

This has been evident in the type of sets we have been getting for the past couple of years. Think it really started with the Castle Market Place set, so much detail and this has continued with some of the Star Wars sets and now the Hobbit and LOTR sets. I'm sure the people at LEGO would be on the net looking at the type of sets and designs that the fans have been making. Its just awesome and it is going to cost me plenty.

Left of the Red Book, is there something sticking out of the cone piece? A pen, a quill? Am I only dreaming?

It's one of those double feather/leaf pieces.

Immitating a quill.

FBTB got their images up, sadly no new minifigures in their shots.

Oops, seems like I was wrong about it being a "complete" building, but it certainly looks complete from the front.

It's pretty much the right size anyway. Any bigger and they'd have to include more of the hill with it. :tongue:

I need that pretzel! :drool:

and the rest of the set too, it looks great!

FBTB got their images up, sadly no new minifigures in their shots.

At least they gave us an MSRP of $59.99, exactly where it should be!

It might not be the best interior, but it's quite detailed. But what happened to that supposed wood-tiling at the back? :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Ferrik

At least they gave us an MSRP of $59.99, exactly where it should be!

Nice, seems fair. 10 bucks per minifigure and a great building as a bonus! :thumbup:

I need that pretzel! :drool:

Haha, you're actually the first one I thought of when I saw that new pretzel piece. :tongue: And if you'll have that new pretzel, then I'll be having Bombur's weapon wiener sausage. :snicker:

Seriously, the more I look at the close-up images at fbtb's flickr photostream, the more I'm appreciating the very intricate detailing of the structure - particularly the trans turtable for the main window which is pure win IMO. The effective use of normal and curved slopes also give a smooth flowing organic feel throughout together with the lively greenery and brown/tan woodwork. I agree with a previous poster when he said this set is like a MOC, and rarely do regular non-exclusive sets get that compliment from AFOLs. :sweet:

I absolutely adore this set! I'd even say I prefer it over Weathertop and my all-time favourites, the Forestmen sets.

The set looks like a complete building, which already sets it above some of the other LotR sets. I love the round windows and door, the huge amount of green, the flowers, the bench, the generous supply of food and the many more details. The designer(s) really captured the look of Bag End with the tree on top and the little chimney (about which I love that it actually extends from the interior to the outside).

The interior is also gorgeous with a nicely sized table. I love the shelves (with Sting on it?), the broom and hearth, and especially the red book. The only downsides of this set have to be the stickers. I don't understand why we don't see printed wooden fence pieces similar to the Uruk-Hai Army and Orc Forge sets. The maps are likely "stickered" as well, and I fear that those stickers will come off (partly, anyway) when you put them into the hands of minifigures too often.

Speaking of minifigures, I never expected the incredible love LEGO put into each and every dwarf! Balin reminds me of Santa, but that's exactly what he looks like in the movie. He also comes super close to the image I had in mind after reading The Hobbit. I like Dwalin and his tattoos but find his weapon too large. Wish there would be a new mold. The buttons on Bombur's shirt seem too high, but I love how LEGO gave him a proper belly. And Bofur's hat is simply awesome! By the way, you can see high-res images of all dwarves (movie version, not LEGO) here: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/07/17/46272-tornstaff_talk_dwarves/

Having been to Matamata, aka Hobbiton and sleeping in a Hobbit hotel in New Zealand even increases my intent to purchase this as soon as I'll see it. :cry_happy:

Now, I really hope for images of some other dwarves, particularly Thorin and Ori.

Heres a temporary update to the dwarves picture. Hoping well see some better pictures when people leave the convention and upload some photos.

click for bigger!

2q8rfi0_th.png

I love what you're doing there, deskp! Hope you keep updating! :thumb up:

Edit: 60 USD? That's the same as Weathertop, right? That would be 100 AUD. Steep, but a must-buy, nevertheless!

Edited by Lynx

60USD, likely 80€ in Finland, isn't really that bad. Even I'm not the biggest fan of the interior (the maps and the red book are brilliant, though) the set looks very solid and well captured. The detail of the facade is awesone, not to mention the figures. Balin and Dwalin's beards are more than welcome, as are the Bofur's hat (Must be one of my favourite pieces ever!) and the capes. And if I end up buying this (or getting as a Christmas present) I don't have to pay 17€ for Gandalf arrives. Shire Frodo and cart aren't that interesting anyways, but Gandalf is must get - He's one of my favourite characters of the whole Middle-Earth.

I think it is just meh :hmpf_bad: ...although Bombur looks very good :thumbup:

Bag End looks a bit like a green caravan...

Why didnt they make new weapons?

A new round door wouldn`t have hurt either, the back construction doesnt look good at all.

If this is a sign of things to come then I can't wait for the hobbit sets! There isn't much to say beyond what has already been said. The model of Bag End has a level of intricacy you would rarely associate with non exclusive sets. The quantity of green pieces will be great for MOC'ers. I also think the interior is very impressive with the tables and the shelves. At 60 USD I expect this to be around £50 in the UK and I think that is a price well worth paying.

For me it`s amazing set. Looks rather like MOC than a regular set.

Building is fantastic and minifigs are, well also fantastic :laugh:

And the price is quite good.

A must buy for me.

I am not entirely sure about the rooftop which could look a bit more organic and seemless, but I like the set a lot.

Same here. In comparison to the rest of the set it looks too "easy". A small child could've probably built that.

Apart from this little flaw I think Bag End is a lovely set. The minifigs look great as expected. We also get those brick bricks in a new nice color and the door seems to be a new mold as well. The details of the windows are amazing - a very nice touch.

Now I'm looking forward to see some decent interior shots. A detailed interior would make that set to one of the best sets on the market!

Very impressed with Bag End, agree with another comment in that it looks more like a MOC due to the level of details. My only gripe is that I don't see why Lego dont make the legs poseable on the hobbits. Surely that can be done by now..? Anyway, gripe over, it's a lovely set

Now I'm looking forward to see some decent interior shots. A detailed interior would make that set to one of the best sets on the market!

Have a look at the preceding pages, or google "fbtb Bag End" to see interior shots.

Yes, definitely Orthanc. I'd be down for one of the Two Towers!

Oh my god and look how tall is that building compared to the Helm's Deep!

I also have the impression to see an ENT!

33086781.png

[/url]

Edited by Albero - BEL

Oh my god and look how tall is that building compared to the Helm's Deep!

I also have the impression to see an ENT!

Pic

[/url]

The one on the bottom looks like it could be a burning ent or maybe the balrog. The one on the top could be an addition to Orthanc.

The one on the bottom looks like it could be a burning ent or maybe the balrog. The one on the top could be an addition to Orthanc.

And middle one bottom row looks like an early bag end.