wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I really don't know where all the fuzz is about. This will be, together with SW, the best selling theme Lego has ever introduced.

The Phantom Manace was rated 12+ and Lego didn't think twice to release sets from thismovie.

I also think the LotR theme can function besides a Castle theme, as SW works besides any space police and other spacey theme.

There are endless possibilities, sub-theme's and characters to base sets around.

I can't wait for the first wave... and I expect even more of the future.

I really don't know where all the fuzz is about. This will be, together with SW, the best selling theme Lego has ever introduced.

The Phantom Manace was rated 12+ and Lego didn't think twice to release sets from thismovie.

I also think the LotR theme can function besides a Castle theme, as SW works besides any space police and other spacey theme.

There are endless possibilities, sub-theme's and characters to base sets around.

The phantom menace is colorfull and kid friendly and is advertised as such, lotr isnt

There's another elaborate preview on the Gandalf Arrives-set on the Brickshow page of Youtube. (for those who don't like all their jibberjabber, skip to 5:16)

It's not boring if you actually pay attention and listen to what the people are saying. You obviously don't. LOTR is not solely about fighting, and the dialogue makes up about half of the movies. I personally find the talking quite interesting, but to each his own. (Also, if you find dialogue 'boring', you most likely didn't read the books.)

Sorry for the rant, everyone else! :grin:

Again you guys aren't understanding what I am saying.

Also when it comes to details, and with the kid saying he read the books, it's not like he read them yesterday and memorized everything. I read the books and I still don't have everything down.

-Omi

Again you guys aren't understanding what I am saying.

Also when it comes to details, and with the kid saying he read the books, it's not like he read them yesterday and memorized everything. I read the books and I still don't have everything down.

-Omi

No, I read the books. Afterwards, I watched the films. In the days following, I re-read the hobbit and looked at some of Tolkien's other works, such as the Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales. THAT was when I had most everything down.

EDIT: I'm not saying that I know EVERYTHING about LOTR. Of course I don't. I just know quite a bit and enjoy indulging myself in Tolkien's work.

Edited by Philip Robin

for those who don't like all their jibberjabber...

Ooh Ooh! I hadn't thought of it but I can go dislike every single one of their videos :sweet:

man that guy is an annoying pile of boogers.

In your opinion, what is the best and the worst minifigure yet?

My favorite is Theoden, and my least favourite is aragorn(great head and torso, but wrong feet).

:sweet:

Time will tell. Personally I don't think it will be, certainly no where near as succesful as Star Wars. I don't think the source material and the sort of sets they are releasing have anywhere near the appeal to Lego's core (young) audience or nostalgic older fans. For older fans (outside of those already into Lego) I've always thought Star Wars' iconic vehicles were a big part of the appeal and this is something the more scene and character based LOTR lacks. I think the key to the initial success of the Star Wars line was the fact that it appealed to a lot of people who were Star Wars fans, but not already Lego fans. For the record this was me. I hadn't looked at Lego for decades and I bought a Landspeeder to sit on my desk because it was a nice cool iconic vehicle.

I think the problem with Lord of the Rings is that for a lot of non-Lego people the obvious choice for what would be a cool thing to buy to sit on your desk would be collecting the Fellowship. However to collect the entire Fellowship represents a significant cost well above impulse buying a landspeeder or speeder bike.

The big wildcard here will be the release of the first Hobbit film. This may bring in a lot of new fans and act as a gateway drug to a new generation discovering Lord of the Rings as well.

This is obviously complete speculation. But keep in mind predicting that this line won't be a massive success (I'm sure it will do OK, I just don't see it being that big) doesn't mean I don't like it or I don't want it succeed. Quite the opposite in fact, I like it a lot and I really want it to be a big success. If I'm completely wrong I'll be very happy!

I think LOTR will sell quite well. Everybody that I have talked to is excited about them even people that are not into Lego. LoTR is not just some new movie that came out like POTC but is considered one of the greatest literary works written and has been transferred very well to the big screen by Peter Jackson. It has also lasted the test of time by continuing to have a strong fanbase even after 60 years from when it was published.

I think LOTR will sell quite well. Everybody that I have talked to is excited about them even people that are not into Lego. LoTR is not just some new movie that came out like POTC but is considered one of the greatest literary works written and has been transferred very well to the big screen by Peter Jackson. It has also lasted the test of time by continuing to have a strong fanbase even after 60 years from when it was published.

I fully agree... In fact told a few of my (non Lego) LotR fans, and all are pleased and considering buying at least a few sets. You can have the intire fellowship by buying Shelob, Weathertop, Mines of Moria and Gandalf arrives.

I too have a friend that's not too interested in LEGO (he has some from when he was younger though) and he intends on buying as much of it as he can. In fact, he's been asking me a lot about information and pictures of the sets.

It's really looking good so far. I haven't bought any other LEGO sets as I want to save my money for this!

There was a thread on a knitting forum last week about whether it's "okay" for adults to enjoy "kid stuff". Lots of people talked about how they still like things like coloring books and cartoons, and how some of them were happy they had kids so they could get back in touch with stuff they loved as children. Naturally, Lego came up, and I'm happy to report there were people - not dedicated AFOLs, mind you - who said Lego isn't just for kids. More to the point, I mentioned that I'm saving up money so I can buy the LOTR sets when they come out.

PEOPLE WENT WILD.

Nobody outside of the AFOL community and the rabid LOTR fans who read the One Ring updates regularly knows that this theme is coming. I posted some details and a pic of the Helm's Deep box, and there was a lot of interest. I guarantee that a lot of adults who never had any interest in Lego will be buying these sets. I don't know if kids will get into it as well, and I'm not at all sure Lego LOTR has the same legs as LSW, but there will be buyers. My prediction is this will not get as big as SW, but will still be one of the more successful crossover themes. Definitely better than POTC and Indiana Jones, at least.

I am just still confused about the comments, why kids won't like this theme. "too dark" is the most common awnser... but what is too dark?

The characters? Have a real Lego look and are very colourful

The villains? Are very characteristic, like trolls are in castle

The beasts? Didn't HP and Castle already introduced kids with dragons, trolls, skeletons and even scarier beasts?

The scenery? Nothing to complain about the more detail these get

Mum and Dad shouldn't complain. It is a fantasy theme, and every kid dreams, reads and watches movies about fantasy. It's why they are kids, and we also (don't deny it, you want to be a noble elf or berserking dwarf).

I think the problem with Lord of the Rings is that for a lot of non-Lego people the obvious choice for what would be a cool thing to buy to sit on your desk would be collecting the Fellowship. However to collect the entire Fellowship represents a significant cost well above impulse buying a landspeeder or speeder bike.

I think the key to drawing in the non-Lego LOTR fans is to release sets that go well beyond the current array of "mini-figure play set" kits already announced. Mini-figures are great collectables, don't get me wrong, but I just don't see them sustaining or growing a product line with a new audience. It's just a matter of time before things go the way of the Harry Potter line - Lego fans get a bunch of redundant figures and sell off the excess on Brick Bay or eBay (A non-Lego friend of mine got Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, Hagrid, Snape, and Dumbledore from eBay for $12 plus postage). The secondary market does little for TLG's bottom line.

If Lego wants to draw in the LOTR desk toy crowd, they should think seriously about non-minifigure-centric kits. Over on Cuusoo I've proposed a LOTR Architecture-Style line of micro-buids. I've got a MOC tower or Orthanc (Isengard) model on my desk at work and a LOT of people (none active Lego fans) have asked me if its a kit because they love LOTR and the tower looks cool (but mature) sitting on a desk in an engineering department.

I think the subject matter also lends itself to an Ultimate Collectors Series targeted at AFOLs (i.e. more complicated sets for people with more disposable income) with architectural builds akin to the Taj Mahal or Tower Bridge kits. I've been working on a MOC sculpture of the Argonath, and based on the number of times I've built, re-built, redesigned and just generally driven myself to wonder why I call this a hobby, _I_ certainly would have paid several hundred dollars per figure to get ones that looked good right out of the box (some assembly required :wink: )

The characters? Have a real Lego look and are very colourful

The villains? Are very characteristic, like trolls are in castle

The beasts? Didn't HP and Castle already introduced kids with dragons, trolls, skeletons and even scarier beasts?

The scenery? Nothing to complain about the more detail these get

You say yourself right here why I don't like these sets and why I don't think the theme will be all that sustainable. It's not about kids not being able to relate to the source material as much as it is a lack of interesting sets. These sets are entirely about the minifigures, with, as you say, some 'scenery.'

These sets having no 'set' part to them. Even Helms Deep, which will make a fine display piece, is basically just a big wall and a single room... for 140 bucks (more in Europe). Mines of Moria is just a bunch of grey. Weathertop is a big pile of bricks making a hill, for 60 bucks. I'm sorry, but these are not impressive sets. The minifigures are impressive, and to an older crowd who is into Lord of the Rings the sets themselves might be fun, but I feel like to a kid a lump of grey is not a spectacular set when one can get neat ships in Star Wars and Superheroes, all sorts of cool structures in the likes of Ninjago, and nice vehicles and fully realized buildings in city. Lumps of grey and dark green and brown just don't compare, despite awesome minifigures.

*Snip*.

You're completely right, for kids. I find these sets quite impressive, because compare them to many of the creations in the GoH forum. They'll make fantastic parts pack if nothing else, and I would honestly much prefer having some of these sets rather than most any other castle theme. Helm's Deep, personally, I find one of the most impressive sets of the year. default_thumbup.gif Of course, these are all opinions, so I can't really argue for or against them.

Anyone else feeling a bit underwhelmed by the Nazgul? I guess it's accurate, and the cape/capes are lovely, but the torso print is really defined and the face couldn't have some printing, like the Dementors.

You're completely right, for kids.

Yes, for kids, but I have trouble feeling that LEGO can successfully have a Licensed playtheme that is mostly attractive to older buyers (and since I have a personal taste for sets that are nice sets). We'll see, though. I by no means think this line will be a failure, but I wanted to articulate why I think that there's no way it will be even close to as successful as the likes of Star Wars, as some people seem to have been saying.

Yes, for kids, but I have trouble feeling that LEGO can successfully have a Licensed playtheme that is mostly attractive to older buyers (and since I have a personal taste for sets that are nice sets). We'll see, though. I by no means think this line will be a failure, but I wanted to articulate why I think that there's no way it will be even close to as successful as the likes of Star Wars, as some people seem to have been saying.

Oh, of course not. Looking back, I had similar thoughts on PotC....default_sceptic.gif But this is Lord of the Rings, and we get a full, complete wave before the new movie comes out. At the bare least it'll have more success than that theme. In any case, there are a lot more sets opportunities than that. If it does last a good amount of time, I can see around 3 or 4 more waves squeezed out of this theme. You're right, though there's little chance this will be as successful as LEGO Star Wars, that doesn't mean it'll be a failure.

Edited by CallMePieOrDie

Okay when I first heard the rumors for this theme I heard things like it is never going to happen.

Then when the theme was confirmed I heard that the sets were not going to be very good.

Then when the first blurry pics came out people tried to point out every flaw.

Now that we have seen detailed pics people are saying it won't be successful just because it won't be successful.

Now the only people that I have repeatedly said negativities about LOTR are either classic castle fans or SW fans and I have to say that I am getting a little tired of all of the pessimism. Have any of you purchased the sets? Have the sets been released yet? No, of course not and that is why we should save "constructive" criticism for when the sets do come out and only if it is deserved. I personally don't find the SW sets all that appealing but, I don't go over to their forum and tell everybody how SW is just a fad and is going to die. No, I would never do that because it is offensive to those who are SW fans.

I guess the point I am trying to make is I would like it if there was a little less unfounded pessimism and wait until the sets are released and then constructive criticism where it is due. Because, right now I really don't even see how it is completely on topic since the sets haven't been released and we really don't know how they are going to do and frankly after looking at all of the great minifigs and detailed set designs I think that they will sell quite well but that is just an opinion. :classic:

You sound as if people cannot have an unfavorable disposition towards sets before they are released. If that is the case, why are you allowed to think they are all great and wonderful? You can't know; they haven't been released.

I cannot understand what's wrong with some healthy discussion about the upcoming sets. I am more than allowed to form opinions about sets I do not own; that's part of how I decide which sets I wish to buy. Sure, sometimes I think I want a set and then end up not liking it very much (happened for all three of the PotC sets I got), but I always form an opinion.

You also just seem to be ranting. I am neither just a classic castle nor SW fan, I dabble in pretty much everything. I am not voicing my opinions to attack you or to attack Lord of the Rings or to attack anything. I am not even making any strong claims. I qualify just about everything in one way or another.

Please take a second and breathe, and voice your opinions in something other than a rant. Ranting is not very constructive.

They're not negatives or pessimism. It's just debating the realism of how long this theme is going to last. Lord of the Rings is certainly not a fad, nor will it die, it just probably won't be as successful as Star Wars. I would downright kill to have LotR last as long, but it's just very improbable.

Okay, this discussion has gotten heated fast. Now, I am going to voice my opinions on the matters discussed recently.

Firstly, some people have been viewing these sets and trying to gauge their success based on how kids will like them. Now, I understand that LEGO is a children's toy. But, not all of LEGO's products are for kids. There are many sets (SW UCS especially) that have clearly been aimed for a much older audience. Of course, this older target market for these sets is based on the difficulty of the construction of the sets, not the actual theme it is from. Yet, I remember also reading here recently (or it might have been from something I saw on YouTube) that LEGO means to target this theme at an older target market. They realize that these sets probably won't be super successful with their younger buyers. That being said, I think that us older fans should try to hold this theme up for as long as we can! I mean, if there are as many people here that want this theme to last as I think, then it is on our shoulders, not the little kids, to make this theme last! :laugh:

Secondly, people seem to believe that this theme won't be successful. Now, I do not believe for a second that this theme could be as successful as Star Wars. No other theme LEGO ever does could ever match the success of Star Wars. That being said, I am upset when I see people comparing this theme to POTC. These are two completely different themes that cannot be compared in the slightest! People say that POTC was not popular because the fourth film was crap (or maybe that is just me :laugh: ), and some say that the same will happen to LOTR because it is not too popular either. That the films are outdated. That kids won't know it. LOTR is WAY more popular than POTC ever was or will ever be. POTC wasn't based on an extremely famous book that has had a strong fan base for over 60 years. It was based on a Disney ride. Now, I am not bashing POTC. I'm a big fan myself. But the popularity of LOTR is so much more than that of POTC, or of any of the other licensed themes (other than SW and HP), and that popularity will (hopefully) sustain it past a couple of years.

Lastly, this theme will not, and cannot, fizzle out too fast. That is because A) this is only the first wave, B) the next wave is only for the Hobbit part 1, and C) the Hobbit part 2 won't be released until a whole year after the first. That gives a whole year of space for LEGO to release potentially two waves of LOTR/Hobbit part 1 sets, peppered with maybe a couple of exclusives. Then, there would be the new wave of Hobbit sets based on a whole new movie. The popularity that was around for the LOTR films, I'm anticipating, will come back for these Hobbit films, which means that the demand for epic LOTR and Hobbit sets will be there, and LEGO will be (hopefully) firing out about 2-3 waves of Hobbit sets and 3-5 waves of LOTR, with some exclusives, over the course of maybe three or four years. Of course, all of this is pretty much hopes and dreams for the further of this theme and where it could go, but it cannot be denied that the release of two new films based in the world of Middle-Earth won't call for the release of as many LEGO sets as can possibly released.

Anyway, I apologize if this turned into a rant (which it may have, and that was not my intention), but I just needed to get my thoughts out.

I do not find your post to be a rant at all, Fives. All of your points are good ones, and worded well.

That being said, I am upset when I see people comparing this theme to POTC. These are two completely different themes that cannot be compared in the slightest! People say that POTC was not popular because the fourth film was crap (or maybe that is just me :laugh: ), and some say that the same will happen to LOTR because it is not too popular either. That the films are outdated. That kids won't know it. LOTR is WAY more popular than POTC ever was or will ever be.

I'd just like to respond to this one point, since I might have been one who has compared it to PotC. The reason you give here for not comparing the two is a good with you, but it is not the reason for which I compared and continue to compare the two themes. I am looking at them purely in terms of their sets. I will say, though, that just what's in a set is by far not the only reason why someone, child and adult alike, would by it. Even kids who like LotR would get LotR sets just because they like LotR. The way in which I compare the two is that the structures themselves in the sets in each theme are sort of in a similar style. For the most part, they are just geographical scenery, or bare bones of structures. I love a lot of the Pirates minifigures, just as I'm sure I'd like LotR minifigures, but I feel like the 'set' parts of many of these LotR sets are similar to the 'set' parts of the PotC sets that I felt so underwhelmed by. That's my only point of comparison.

You are completely correct, though, that comparing the two themes by the source material or anything like that is absurd. LotR has an enormous (and quite deserved) advantage in that department. I'm still not sure exactly what that means when it comes to a LEGO theme, though. LotR will be a successful line. I have no doubt of that. It will have multiple waves as well, at least three or four. I would be very surprised if it performed so poorly that LEGO pulls the plugs on it. I can't see that happening.

This theme is primed to last a while, but I don't see it being carried on much after the second Hobbit film just because of the types of sets. Nothing has that sort of staying power (besides Spongebob, crazily enough), but I think especially since this theme is mostly scenery it can't be carried on for more than a few years. But that's also just a thought from the current sets. Later ones, and Hobbit ones, might have more defined structures. We'll see.

I do not find your post to be a rant at all, Fives. All of your points are good ones, and worded well.

I'd just like to respond to this one point, since I might have been one who has compared it to PotC. The reason you give here for not comparing the two is a good with you, but it is not the reason for which I compared and continue to compare the two themes. I am looking at them purely in terms of their sets. I will say, though, that just what's in a set is by far not the only reason why someone, child and adult alike, would by it. Even kids who like LotR would get LotR sets just because they like LotR. The way in which I compare the two is that the structures themselves in the sets in each theme are sort of in a similar style. For the most part, they are just geographical scenery, or bare bones of structures. I love a lot of the Pirates minifigures, just as I'm sure I'd like LotR minifigures, but I feel like the 'set' parts of many of these LotR sets are similar to the 'set' parts of the PotC sets that I felt so underwhelmed by. That's my only point of comparison.

You are completely correct, though, that comparing the two themes by the source material or anything like that is absurd. LotR has an enormous (and quite deserved) advantage in that department. I'm still not sure exactly what that means when it comes to a LEGO theme, though. LotR will be a successful line. I have no doubt of that. It will have multiple waves as well, at least three or four. I would be very surprised if it performed so poorly that LEGO pulls the plugs on it. I can't see that happening.

This theme is primed to last a while, but I don't see it being carried on much after the second Hobbit film just because of the types of sets. Nothing has that sort of staying power (besides Spongebob, crazily enough), but I think especially since this theme is mostly scenery it can't be carried on for more than a few years. But that's also just a thought from the current sets. Later ones, and Hobbit ones, might have more defined structures. We'll see.

I see your point about POTC, and I must agree that I was, at times, underwhelmed with the sets. I, though, collect for the minifigs. I guess I'm just one of those few LEGO collectors that cares more about the story being told in the sets rather than the set and build itself (therefore I prefer licensed themes, and luckily most of the licenses LEGO has acquired over the years are based on films I love). I also agree with you that this theme won't last long after the second Hobbit film. Maybe one more LOTR wave to wrap things up, but that would probably be it, sadly. As long as LEGO does a decent version of Minas Tirith (like the one i outlined in the Future LOTR Sets topic) and we get some decent battle pack like sets, then I will be satisfied. And, when you think about it, they could spend the next wave of LOTR concentrating on the minor characters (Faramir, Eowyn, etc.), with a few of the main characters in new outfits sprinkled in. But now this is verging on being off-topic, so I should stop.

Anyway, I can just say that, despite some of the sets being kinda meh (Gandalf's cart is a little useless for recreating battles (cause yeah, I still play with my LEGO :blush: ) and the little cave in the Shelob set is just sad) I will be spending way too much money on this theme in the coming years! :laugh:

Edited by Fives