wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I actually think that the gollum mold looks much better than the CGI version we saw in the poster. More like LEGO. I dont know why but I really like the side view it looks like a nice mold. I like that the legs are kind of squared of instead of round, it makes it look more like a LEGO piece and less action figurey (i know its not a real word).

Edited by LEGOTR

I don't get why people don't like the gollum figure! I think it's great and the stud on his back doesn't really bother me. It reminds you he's still a lego otherwise he wouldn't really look like one aside from the hands.

imo the Gollum figure just lacks personality. He just kind of looks ugly, whereas in the movies, he was ugly in an endearing kind of way.

I don't get why people don't like the gollum figure! I think it's great and the stud on his back doesn't really bother me. It reminds you he's still a lego otherwise he wouldn't really look like one aside from the hands.

Agreed. It looks hideous, but it's meant to look hideous, so I like it.

Agreed. It looks hideous, but it's meant to look hideous, so I like it.

I agree. This series is really looking good. I completely take back my earlier comments about it. I really didn't want to like it...it's another AC/PQ theme. Drat. :sadnew:

I agree with you. TLG have really pulled out the stops this year. Designs and range are top notch IMHO

Let's just hope that they will keep old-school quality of the plastic...

I think he looks great. I didn't think much of the CGI Lego Gollum on the poster, but I like this minifg more and more!

I agree that the disppointing part is that the head is molded already, but I'm happy to get a Lego Gollum all the same

I really like Gollum's design I have to say, the stud on the back doesn't bother me at all (even though I still can't figure out its purpose :wacko: ). And I think we'll see another facial expression of his, remember he's going to appear in the Hobbit as well :wink:

The stud does look kind of weird to me, though if it was one smooth piece, it would arguably be un-Lego.

I guess you could do more with the Gollum fig with it, anyway. Attach him to a cart or something. :tongue:

I think the stud is there simply to look leggoish and allow for customisations such as having Frodo stand on his back or attaching a laser beam :laugh:

I think the stud is there simply to look leggoish and allow for customisations such as having Frodo stand on his back or attaching a laser beam :laugh:

:laugh: Gollum with additional shoulder mounted canon Predator style. I think Samwise would have been less critical of him if he had one of them..!

The funny thing about Gollum minifig is that if he would stand straight up he would probably be taller than normal minifigures instead of Hobbit size. Maybe not as tall as Woody from Toy Story, but tall anyway.

The stud on Gollum's back doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me more is the fact that his eyes seem to have whites, unlike minifig eyes which are typically black beads with a white highlight and often wrinkles around the eyes to affect the expression.

The stud on Gollum's back doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me more is the fact that his eyes seem to have whites, unlike minifig eyes which are typically black beads with a white highlight and often wrinkles around the eyes to affect the expression.

Could be to depict the bug-eyed nature of Gollum. He does have big saucer like eyes in the film. This range is really shaping up nice though. Going to be hard to resist these sets later in the year

Edited by AngryChair

What's cool about the LOTR sets is that they are so detailed and come with so many minifigs. For instance, the Helm's Deep set comes with 4 Uruk-Hai! If it went by TLG's normal standards, it would come with only 2 or so.

The downside? The price. I hope they make another set with some Nazgul, because Weathertop is wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

Could be to depict the bug-eyed nature of Gollum. He does have big saucer like eyes in the film. This range is really shaping up nice though. Going to be hard to resist these sets later in the year

"Hard to resist..." I'm not even going to try to resist!

Once these come out, I want to see some videos of people gripping these tight, holding them close and whispering, "My Pprecioussssss" as they leave the LEGO aisle. :tongue:

Once these come out, I want to see some videos of people gripping these tight, holding them close and whispering, "My Pprecioussssss" as they leave the LEGO aisle. :tongue:

:laugh: Smeagol looking forward to seeing 'My Preciousss' as well. :tongue:

You can certainly count on me! ;P

(EDIT): First post!!!! :D

Edited by Philip Robin

If you are making a MOC with Gollum being thrown against a rock, like he was in several scenes, then the stud will allow you to "pin" him against the rocks.

Edited by glenpinpat