wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Army building with this theme is going to be so expensive. :cry_sad:

Yeah. I am already budgeting to spend close to a thousand on it by the end of summer x.x

My main focus with be the uruk-hai army mainly. Ten sets there and possibly four or five of the orc forge.

Is it just me, or is this Lego's best year of sets? Great SW, fanastic LOTR, and great (hopefully) Avengers.

I thought of that when I saw German TF pics!

-Sci

Yeah. I am already budgeting to spend close to a thousand on it by the end of summer x.x

My main focus with be the uruk-hai army mainly. Ten sets there and possibly four or five of the orc forge.

Good thing you don't want to build an Elf or Dwarf army! :laugh: Orcs are really the only one that's possible with this batch.

Good thing you don't want to build an Elf or Dwarf army! :laugh: Orcs are really the only one that's possible with this batch.

Isnt that the truth!? Lol

I mean i will have a tiny establishment of riders from the uruk-hai army.... But thats about it.

I truly do hope we get battle packs for this line. I do not plan to army build this line like I did starwars which was seperation based on type; i.e. clones, droids, geonosians, ect. I think ill just do bad and good lol.

Whats sad is unless there are battle packs, I do not see a lot of people having massive armies like they do with star wars. :(

That makes me sad. Lol

Isnt that the truth!? Lol

I mean i will have a tiny establishment of riders from the uruk-hai army.... But thats about it.

I truly do hope we get battle packs for this line. I do not plan to army build this line like I did starwars which was seperation based on type; i.e. clones, droids, geonosians, ect. I think ill just do bad and good lol.

Whats sad is unless there are battle packs, I do not see a lot of people having massive armies like they do with star wars. :(

That makes me sad. Lol

I have a feeling that this theme will definitely get some battle packs. There are so many different factions to makes sets for, so the army building is endless.

Also, you saying that you separate your SW armies by type, like clones and droids, then why not LOTR. You could separate the bad guys into Goblins (Moria and The Hobbit), Mordor, and Isengard. Then, the good guys could be separated into Gondor, Rohan, Elves, Dwarves.

I really do hope we get some sort of Elven battle pack based on Helm's Deep. Only having Haldir seems a bit lame. He needs some Elves to lead in battle.

Is it just me, or is this Lego's best year of sets? Great SW, fanastic LOTR, and great (hopefully) Avengers.

I agree with you. TLG have really pulled out the stops this year. Designs and range are top notch IMHO

I agree with you. TLG have really pulled out the stops this year. Designs and range are top notch IMHO

I concur entirely! Even the color scheme is great, very earthy and realistic tones, Kingdoms is good but the colors are very bright. I really hope people get into this range with MOCs and serious armies, the pallet for locations is almost parallel with Star Wars (ok, not exactly parallel but close enough :blush:) .

I concur entirely! Even the color scheme is great, very earthy and realistic tones, Kingdoms is good but the colors are very bright. I really hope people get into this range with MOCs and serious armies, the pallet for locations is almost parallel with Star Wars (ok, not exactly parallel but close enough :blush:) .

Haven't posted here in a while, but I wholeheartedly agree that this year is a particularly exciting one. (I will be broke.) This LOTR line is one thing, but combined with Super Heroes, the SW Line breaking away from the movies in a big way with that Sith fighter and great minifigs (as opposed to sticking to the repeating of old sets), Friends (yeah, I said it), great Ninjago sets/figs, and some really cool Collectible minifigs, it seems like a big push to try some new things.

Anyone here a part of the LOTR / Tolkien online community (I assume there is one)? Curious if the LOTR Lego announcements is causing much of a strir. Wonder if this will move people to buy their first sets (or their first sets in years) the way SW did for many, including myself.

Anyone here a part of the LOTR / Tolkien online community (I assume there is one)? Curious if the LOTR Lego announcements is causing much of a strir. Wonder if this will move people to buy their first sets (or their first sets in years) the way SW did for many, including myself.

Well, at least on "TheOneRing.net" people seem to like the idea of LOTR LEGO. Except, as to be expected, as non-LEGO fans they don't understand why they're so expensive (Possibly as when they did buy LEGO they didn't pay as much money as they would have to now)

Here's the link My link

Well, at least on "TheOneRing.net" people seem to like the idea of LOTR LEGO. Except, as to be expected, as non-LEGO fans they don't understand why they're so expensive (Possibly as when they did buy LEGO they didn't pay as much money as they would have to now)

Here's the link My link

Hmmm...only two replies on that message on onering.net. I hope there ends up being a crossover of Tolkien fans who find a new or renew a love for Lego. I guess the fanbases are pretty different. SW fans have been weaned on merchandising and are used to buying all sorts of SW stuff, while I guess Tolkien fans didn't really have that option, at least not until the Jackson films. Plus the Tolkien fans read more...just sayin, a different crowd. Hope they can get into the idea of building out their geekdom in plastic. Who knows?

I can totally relate on the price thing. That goes for any toy really...if you're not used to buying them over the years, you have no real sense of how expensive things are. Oh well, thanks for the info!

Hmmm...only two replies on that message on onering.net. I hope there ends up being a crossover of Tolkien fans who find a new or renew a love for Lego. I guess the fanbases are pretty different. SW fans have been weaned on merchandising and are used to buying all sorts of SW stuff, while I guess Tolkien fans didn't really have that option, at least not until the Jackson films. Plus the Tolkien fans read more...just sayin, a different crowd. Hope they can get into the idea of building out their geekdom in plastic. Who knows?

I can totally relate on the price thing. That goes for any toy really...if you're not used to buying them over the years, you have no real sense of how expensive things are. Oh well, thanks for the info!

I would say it's unlikely a Tolkien fan would begin an interest in LEGO from these LotR sets. Especially when there already exists a wide and very attractive range of other LotR collectibles. However the collectors that are also parents might jump on board.

I would say it's unlikely a Tolkien fan would begin an interest in LEGO from these LotR sets. Especially when there already exists a wide and very attractive range of other LotR collectibles. However the collectors that are also parents might jump on board.

I've already heard rumblings from parents who are LOTR nerds, very excited about this theme. I think it's going to be a megahit. And I do think a lot of LOTR fans will buy at least a set or two for display. A couple of the sets, namely Weathertop and the Orc Forge, would make great cubicle toys. This may not create a million instant AFOLs, but it will definitely generate some sales. That's why Lego and other toy companies pursue these licenses. A guy who is a massive Batman fan might want to buy the Tumbler or classic Batmobile in Lego. And maybe that will turn him on to other Lego themes. I had no serious interest in Lego until I saw the "Luke's Landspeeder" set - they got me with the Star Wars connection, and I immediately jumped ship to the Kingdoms and Atlantis themes, never bought any more Star Wars sets except for a couple of battlepacks. I could see the same thing happening with people who just happen to want a couple of Fellowship minifigs, and get hooked on Lego because it's just fun.

TLG have to play their cards right for that to happen, though. There need to be some cheap LOTR sets that recreate iconic moments in the series, the way the $25 Landspeeder set did. A relatively cheap Bag End, Treebeard or Gollum's Lair set would do this. The only set in the first wave that is inexpensive enough and iconic enough to generate major crossover sales is Gandalf Arrives, and I'm afraid that's not a substantial enough set to get people hooked on Lego. They have to hit the $20-30 range with a really good standalone set.

Its not like they are going to lose out in this deal. Some cheaper sets would totally hook more fans. Maybe for the bottom of the range knock 15% off the RRP and watch them fly off the shelves. If they keep the level of detail and techniques up for this whole line it has the makings to be the most successful line TLG has ever undertaken.

TLG have to play their cards right for that to happen, though. There need to be some cheap LOTR sets that recreate iconic moments in the series, the way the $25 Landspeeder set did. A relatively cheap Bag End, Treebeard or Gollum's Lair set would do this. The only set in the first wave that is inexpensive enough and iconic enough to generate major crossover sales is Gandalf Arrives, and I'm afraid that's not a substantial enough set to get people hooked on Lego. They have to hit the $20-30 range with a really good standalone set.

I see your point. The $20-$30 range is difficult because a lot of the iconic scenes (such as The Bridge of Khazad-dûm) would go beyond that.

From the fellowship alone, I can only think of one good choice, Bucklebury Ferry, but I'm not sure how willing TLG would be to include all 4 hobbits in a $20-$30 set. Not very I assume.

I see your point. The $20-$30 range is difficult because a lot of the iconic scenes (such as The Bridge of Khazad-dûm) would go beyond that.

From the fellowship alone, I can only think of one good choice, Bucklebury Ferry, but I'm not sure how willing TLG would be to include all 4 hobbits in a $20-$30 set. Not very I assume.

No, I don't think they would. Another choice I think would be the Watcher in the Water, the thing that attacks the Fellowship outside of Moria - with a trimmed-down Fellowship, of course, say maybe four good guys, a Moria door and the monster. Or Saruman and Gandalf's duel in Orthanc.

No, I don't think they would. Another choice I think would be the Watcher in the Water, the thing that attacks the Fellowship outside of Moria - with a trimmed-down Fellowship, of course, say maybe four good guys, a Moria door and the monster. Or Saruman and Gandalf's duel in Orthanc.

I considered the Doors of Durin, but thought the Watcher would climb the price too high. Especially if they made it large enough to be articulated.

It would make tons of AFOLs upset but Lego could release a brick built balrog like 8962 Crystal King without the bridge. That set would be very iconic and could go for $30 (considering Crystal KIng went for $20) with a Gandallf and Moria Orc mini figures. No bridge would suck :thumbdown: but that set would be a major way to get non LEGO Tolkien fans to buy LEGO. And what kid or adult wouldn't want a LEGO Balrog for such a reasonable price.

Edited by LEGOTR

I really hope LEGO will make some sort of UCS Hobbit house/hole. I think the size is posible, around 2500 pieces max and you get very detailed hole, I'm sure. Lots of green and brown+tan, trees and interior(beds, dinning room, working room, windows, pictures on walls etc)/exterior(lots of green grass plates-rough terrain, benches, fence, flowers, maybe small lake or river). Few minifigs (Bilbo, Gandalf, Frodo and maybe another hobbit). Price would be around 250eur, I pay that any time for good, minifig scale hobbit house. I'm sure many would buy such set, include LOTR (non LEGO) fans, just because of building such set.

And possibility of such set? Definately possible, price, piece amount, size, building technics, after all, it's just a house with green roof :classic:

We have seen big set from SW and HP, I think there will be LOTR/hobbit big set soon and I sure they wont make UCS helm's deep or any of the towers, which gives hobbit house big chances. I would also like such set, because it would be very peaceful and natural with bunch of hobbits and great interior details.

What do you think?

I've never really been a fan of Lego before, but I am REALLY looking forward to these lord of the rings sets!

I was never against Lego (I think the minifigures are the definition of cool, and some of the video games are pretty good too), but I found that whenever I bought a set, pieces would get lost and my sets ruined :(

Anyway, as I said Lord of the Rings may finally be what's needed to convert me. I plan on (hopefully) having one of each set, all of which shall be safely placed on a shelf somewhere OUT OF HARM'S WAY!! :P

What? Don't vomit on that Gollum figure, I actually think it's great. :laugh:

~ General Magma

The side looks hideous!

-Sci

The side looks hideous!

-Sci

So would you if you lived for 500 years, ate live fish, and spent your free time hunched over a ring. :hmpf::laugh:

Gollum looks good, in my mind. Just wish the heads were connected via pins to the body so he had other expressions.

The stud on the top is ruining the fig. if they got rid of that and made the back smooth out it would look fine. This truly makes me sad.