wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I noticed that too -- looks like a technic gear of some sort. I wonder if it connects to a spool inside to reel in the string web she wraps around frodo.

That would be a really cool feature! I hope that the wheel doesn't move her legs. I would much rather be able to position her legs however I want.

Also, the horse in the Gandalf Arrives set is not a special pony mold. It is the same as the rest of the sets. It would make no sense to have a pony in that set, because A) Gandalf's cart was drawn by a horse, and B) it would cost too much money for LEGO to make a special pony mold for one set, unless it was completely essential and was useable across the whole theme.

EDIT: I also just noticed that the Nazgul horses are not wearing helmet, but rather have a dark grey print on their faces. The new heads on the horses will probably not be able to wear any old horse helmets.

Edited by Fives

Have you noticed there is a new horse mold! :classic: Looks more like the other new animals when seen the last years.

Edited by Ferdik

Have you noticed there is a new horse mold! :classic: Looks more like the other new animals when seen the last years.

I'm not too keen on the new horse mold yet. I guess I'm just a creature of habit.

Hey guys,

after reading for endless pages, I finally decided to register. Never thought I'd be interested in LEGO again, but I simply love the combination of one of my favourite books/ favourite movie and the memories of the greatest childhood toy. :)

The minifigures look very good this far, but I am thoroughly disappointed in the LEGO representation of Aragorn. As somebody else wrote previously, something just seems amiss. The colour of the figure's pants/ legs is way off, and giving Aragorn something other than a sword would be great. For example, he had a backpack and bow/ quiver strapped on his back in the first movie. So giving him the accessory we've seen on the Legolas poster (the quiver which holds a bow) could work. I assume he'll get a cloak in future sets as he didn't wear one prior to Lorien in the movies, either.

Gandalf is also a bit of a let-down with his staff and missing hair. I guess, Gandalf the White will look much better. Boromir, who on the very first picture (the fellowship) looked too bright to me, has become my favourite LEGO representation this far. Simply spot on! I like the bad guys, too and will see what the sets look like before deciding to purchase some or simply go after some minifigures.

I found a picture showing Aragorn as the king which looks amazing. Anduril is easily recognizable and Legolas looks great, too. Given the double cloak Aragorn wears and the faces which vastly differ from the official pictures we've seen, I assume it is fan-made. I hope that TLC will take it as an inspiration for future figures in the theme, though.

310651_216497125071146_208385225882336_526682_488101517_n.jpg

304982_209429652444560_208385225882336_506556_6094217_n.jpg

They are both custom. Legolas is made by Armothe of BrickForge, and Aragorn is obvious because the sword is the BrickForge Sovereign Sword and not Lego's own.

-Omi

I'm not too keen on the new horse mold yet. I guess I'm just a creature of habit.

I, too, am a creature of habit, but honestly the old horse mold has been underperforming for years. It had two poses: head up and head down. When the Toy Story horse "Bullseye" came out, it made me more aware of how much better the horse could be. Now we finally have a horse that can rear (although we have yet to see how it looks in other poses, like running and jumping).

I, too, am a creature of habit, but honestly the old horse mold has been underperforming for years. It had two poses: head up and head down. When the Toy Story horse "Bullseye" came out, it made me more aware of how much better the horse could be. Now we finally have a horse that can rear (although we have yet to see how it looks in other poses, like running and jumping).

The real beauty is now we can use either horse mold depending on the situation. :thumbup:

I remember people here shooting me down for daring to suggest the horse should be updated. And here it is.

The horse pulling Gandalf's cart looks like he'd make a great Bill the pony. "He knows the way home". I won't be buying sets but I'll definitely want the horses, the one ring, new hair pieces and various bits and bobs. I'm really curious about the hobbit sets. Can't wait to see how the dwarves turn out. in the movies they have such fantastic hair and beards.

I'm not a big LOTR fan, but I saw pictures of the sets on Brickipedia, including an image of the never-before-seen Orc Forge!

Orc Forge picture

You're a bit late - we saw that a couple of weeks ago, I believe.

Regarding the horse in 'Gandalf Arrives' - it seemed like a pony to me as it was so small.

It could probably be a horse as well, but it seemed strange to me that it was about the size of Frodo when speaking of height.

~ General Magma

You're a bit late - we saw that a couple of weeks ago, I believe.

Regarding the horse in 'Gandalf Arrives' - it seemed like a pony to me as it was so small.

It could probably be a horse as well, but it seemed strange to me that it was about the size of Frodo when speaking of height.

~ General Magma

Woops - thought no one saw that before. ALthough I'm not a LOTR fan, these sets are starting to attract me.

Woops - thought no one saw that before. ALthough I'm not a LOTR fan, these sets are starting to attract me.

Most of the sets and minifigs would fit in well with Harry Potter stuff (well not the parts that happen in the Muggle world) or the PotC stuff. That could be what is secretly attracting you to them.

The real beauty is now we can use either horse mold depending on the situation. :thumbup:

I just don't like the inconsistency. If the lotr horse molds come just in the that position, it makes the old molds irrelevant. Eventually the old molds will be out numbered, and so on and so.

E.g., with the "fleshies," wow do I dislike them, with HP, POTC and now LOTR, the fleshies will outnumber classic LEGO skins. That inconsistency just bothers me; I know I'm weird. But nonetheless.

To be succinct - just doesn't feel like LEGO. Anyways, I'll buy these sets and love 'em, I'm sure of it. Just being grumpy

E.g., with the "fleshies," wow do I dislike them, with HP, POTC and now LOTR, the fleshies will outnumber classic LEGO skins.

7 years of fleshies outnumbers 40+ years of yellow figs? :sceptic:

7 years of fleshies outnumbers 40+ years of yellow figs? :sceptic:

If you focus on a particular theme, and have recently (3 years) come out of your dark age. Yes.

I only collect castle sets, with the occasional pirate or licensed theme that fits the over all motif.

So far helms deep doesent seem to have so many "play functions".

Good for me :thumbup:

Edited by deskp

Most of the sets and minifigs would fit in well with Harry Potter stuff (well not the parts that happen in the Muggle world) or the PotC stuff. That could be what is secretly attracting you to them.

I think your'e right. I must admit, when I saw Shelob, I thought "The perfect Aragog :blush: ". And Gollum might make a good Kreacher. And the One Ring could be useful as the ring that contained the Resurrection Stone, and...so on and so on...

I think your'e right. I must admit, when I saw Shelob, I thought "The perfect Aragog :blush: ". And Gollum might make a good Kreacher. And the One Ring could be useful as the ring that contained the Resurrection Stone, and...so on and so on...

Except that Kreacher has bigger ears...But these are actually good ideas. Oh, if only Hobbit hair was coming in black...perfect Harry Potter hair! I just realized the Gandalf's beard is a new mold. Maybe Aragog Shelob's wheel makes something move. A play feature, perhaps?

Except that Kreacher has bigger ears...But these are actually good ideas. Oh, if only Hobbit hair was coming in black...perfect Harry Potter hair! I just realized the Gandalf's beard is a new mold. Maybe Aragog Shelob's wheel makes something move. A play feature, perhaps?

I actually have a feeling that Frodo's hair is black. If you look at the most recent close up of Frodo, you can see that his legs are dark brown, but his hair just seems a little darker, so I'm thinking it will be black.

Speaking of giant spiders and Harry Potter, the giant spiders in Mirkwood are supposed to be much smaller than Shelob. If they were to make a set based on Mirkwood, and it came with miniature giant spiders( :laugh: ), BAM, you've got yourself the makings for that entire car chase scene from Chamber of Secrets.

Edited by Dwellington

First I want to say that the sets look as cool as the figs and that is a realy good thing but I have made an observation and sorry if this has already been said but it looks to me like the ringwraith in wether top the one on the horse looks like he is on fire it might just be something in the background but remember that aragorn throws a torch at a ringwraith in the movie and aragorn does have a torch in his hand but as i said it might just be me

Edited by sinjid

First I want to say that the sets look as cool as the figs and that is a realy good thing but I have made an observation and sorry if this has already been said but it looks to me like the ringwraith in wether top the one on the horse looks like he is on fire it might just be something in the background but remember that aragorn throws a torch at a ringwraith in the movie and aragorn does have a torch in his hand but as i said it might just be me

That is a dark tan bush and some rocks behind the Nazgul.

oh i thought that was what it might be but I wasn't sure I'll take your word for it that does seem unlikley

Is it just me, or does Moria not look like it has enough pieces? It's supposed to be almost 800 pieces. I don't see that in the structure we see in those pics. Is it possible there are parts that TLG aren't showing us yet?

While we're at it, let's speculate on what's happening inside Weathertop. Why does the hill open? My bet is it's something to do with Frodo putting the ring on. Either there's a trapdoor that Frodo falls into to simulate invisibility (which would be lame, and really doesn't require an entire hollow hill) or there is something inside that makes the Nazgul "transform" into their spectral forms (but that would mean there are minifigs that haven't been shown yet, which at this point seems unlikely even in my most wishful thinking). Actually neither of those things seems terribly likely - so WHY does it open up?