wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

One thing missing from these sets is common soldiers on the good side. There is a single Rohan archer in all these sets, and that's it, all the others are heroes. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but still, some regular elf/Rohirrim/Gondor foot soldiers would be highly welcome. SW-style battle packs could fix this easily.

About the Orc Forge - it breaks the trend that TLC puts two opposing factions in comparable numbers in their sets. Other larger LotR sets follow this rule, but not the Orc Forge. Strange.

One thing missing from these sets is common soldiers on the good side. There is a single Rohan archer in all these sets, and that's it, all the others are heroes. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but still, some regular elf/Rohirrim/Gondor foot soldiers would be highly welcome. SW-style battle packs could fix this easily.

About the Orc Forge - it breaks the trend that TLC puts two opposing factions in comparable numbers in their sets. Other larger LotR sets follow this rule, but not the Orc Forge. Strange.

Bear in mind, there are no Return of the King sets, apart from Shelob. Be patient for Gondor soldiers, but I think they'll come.

I do agree this wave is short on common soldiers. I am surprised that Helms Deep doesn't come with atleast 1 common rohan soldier. I am not worried, there will be plenty of sets with more common soldiers in future waves. I think battle packs in the SW vein are very likely as well.

The Uruk Hai army set is the one I hope we can easily modify. I plan on buying multiples of this set. I hope it is easy to change Eomer to a common soldier/rider of rohan. As long as the torso and helmet aren't too specialized we should be able to do it.

I agree with you totally, this would also allow them to incorporate both the uruk-hai and orks (or maybe even a few of the haradrim).

Well, here's how Huw from brickset has described it:

As far as I can remember, [Gollum's] legs/hips were fixed, only his arms were jointed.
Completely new mold, not minifig based. One piece body/head and then new arms.

Everyone can agree that there are things missing from this wave. But that's just it, it is the first wave. Lego would be foolish to release everything they planned for LOTR in one wave because people wouldn't be able to buy it all. Yes, battle packs would sell really well. But they want to make sure their regular sets sell well first before flooding the market with extraneous sets.

My advice: Be patient. Everyone will get what they want in the end. With the exception of some of the modular or UCS style sets. Those might not happen, but I don't see why they wouldn't release more generic soldiers for people since they do in other themes.

I'm guessing it will look like gollum from the films.

Smart megablocks.

Smart megablocks.

:rofl: :rofl:

I love the swear filter on here!

:rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Legoman273

If these sets are disappointing then you won't find any Lego sets that aren't.

This makes no sense? Because he doesn't like the LotR sets, that means he won't like anything else? :hmpf:

This makes no sense? Because he doesn't like the LotR sets, that means he won't like anything else? :hmpf:

He's a fanboy, quite a few around here. :sceptic:

I think the theme has got of to a brilliant start, and I love the look of the sets and minifigures so far. They aren't perfect yet, but they're only CGI mock-ups and blurry leaked photos.

I can totally see why people might not like these sets though. I am sure I'll get them all (or try to) but won't leave any as they are. For example, I like the basic shape of Weathertop, but I would do the statues and ruins differently.

Nevertheless, for fans of LOTR, there is a lot to like here. And probably a lot for everyone else too!

I want just the figures...the sets are disapointing.

Just wait for official pictures to judge the sets by, rather than judging them by a rather blurry close-up of a picture of the sets in bird's eye view. :hmpf:

I hope they still decide to make Gollum's legs a bit more pose-able,

as it sounds like they're just stuck together. You can also see him for a little bit on the picture.

~ General Magma

Sorry if this was mentioned...If you look at the Bird's eye view picture of the Orc Forge, you will see the Goblins with the ears (I assume on the headpiece). If you look at the box art of the Mines of Moria, you get those same Goblins. So from what I can tell, TLG is releasing Uruk-hai and goblins (orcs). I don't think they are doing goblins AND orcs. I think they are one in the same in regards to this theme.

But only time will tell with the official set images.

Sorry if this was mentioned...If you look at the Bird's eye view picture of the Orc Forge, you will see the Goblins with the ears (I assume on the headpiece). If you look at the box art of the Mines of Moria, you get those same Goblins. So from what I can tell, TLG is releasing Uruk-hai and goblins (orcs). I don't think they are doing goblins AND orcs. I think they are one in the same in regards to this theme.

Could just be prelim. :sceptic:

I highly doubt they would do that.

The only reason for the similarities might as well be the fact that they're both going to have pointy ears,

connected to the heads in exactly the same way.

~ General Magma

I highly doubt they would do that.

The only reason for the similarities might as well be the fact that they're both going to have pointy ears,

connected to the heads in exactly the same way.

~ General Magma

Yeah, LEGO wouldn't just ignore the substantial difference in appearance between orcs. We will, or at least should, see quite an amount of variety within the ranks of the forces of evil by the time this theme is over.

Just wait for official pictures to judge the sets by, rather than judging them by a rather blurry close-up of a picture of the sets in bird's eye view. :hmpf:

I hope they still decide to make Gollum's legs a bit more pose-able,

as it sounds like they're just stuck together. You can also see him for a little bit on the picture.

~ General Magma

I'm sure he's going off the YouTube video. Whileyou can't see every little detail, you get a sense of what's there. I'm with him, at the moment. The video didn't do much for me. When we get Hi-res pictures, I'm sure opinions will change, until then, it's all we have to base it on.

If I remember the lore correctly, goblins and orcs are quite similar, but orcs have a master, in this case Sauron/Saruman, while goblins are essentially without masters and are normally found in caves (Mines of Moria, the Hobbit).

The Uruk-Hai were orc-elf hybrids, bred long before Sauron's first reign, it's not like in the movies where they appear to only be bred from the beginning of Saruman going bad.

So keeping the orcs and goblins similar makes sense, but hopefully the Uruks are distinct.

When looking at the whole of Tolkien's mythology, "goblin" and "orc" are mostly interchangeable. Tolkien had his whole special language thing going on, and the Hobbit wasn't originally intended to be part of his bigger story. Nevertheless, the orcs/goblins of the Misty Mountains are distinctly described as being smaller than other breeds, and the film version of the Moria orcs had a very distinctive look, not just in terms of their physiology, but that spiky cockroach armor they wore.

I'd be really happy if they included at least some of that in the Moria set. I suppose a new mold of those crazy helmets would be too much to ask for, though. :tongue:

(Also, strictly speaking, the goblins in the Hobbit should bear at least some significant resemblance to the Moria goblins, since at one point, the Misty Mountain goblins were all united, under an orc chieftain named Azog. He kills Thorin's grandfather and is eventually killed at the Battle of Dimrill Dale.)

Edited by Dwellington

(Also, strictly speaking, the goblins in the Hobbit should bear at least some significant resemblance to the Moria goblins, since at one point, the Misty Mountain goblins were all united, under an orc chieftain named Azog. He kills Thorin's grandfather and is eventually killed at the Battle of Dimrill Dale.)

In the Hobbit (book) Azog's son Bolg is a Goblin Cheiftain. There is also a character called the Great Goblin who is being played by Barry Humphries in the movies. My guess is that they will make them into one character :)

Its cool to see they divided the Fellowship over all of the sets, and that will surely be the case in future waves, Im very curious about the Fellowship of The Hobbit.. 13 Dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf (on some parts of the journey). 14 halfling / child minifigs with different beard and hairstyles!

Oh, And to add my thought about the Isengard, multi part tower / playsets, which was posted a few pages back, Maybe a impulse set of Saruman and the Palantir, but no tower... how about this: UCS Orthanc. Measuring a full 1,5 meters of pure black bricks, and a little grey miniminifig (from those Heroica games) on top, and a white one on the balcony! Maybe even a few baseplates around the tower which you can turn over to switch between green and peaceful Isengard, and the orc forges and wargpits.

Its cool to see they divided the Fellowship over all of the sets, and that will surely be the case in future waves, Im very curious about the Fellowship of The Hobbit.. 13 Dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf (on some parts of the journey). 14 halfling / child minifigs with different beard and hairstyles!

Oh, And to add my thought about the Isengard, multi part tower / playsets, which was posted a few pages back, Maybe a impulse set of Saruman and the Palantir, but no tower... how about this: UCS Orthanc. Measuring a full 1,5 meters of pure black bricks, and a little grey miniminifig (from those Heroica games) on top, and a white one on the balcony! Maybe even a few baseplates around the tower which you can turn over to switch between green and peaceful Isengard, and the orc forges and wargpits.

It makes sense to divide up the main characters so people will buy all the sets, or the collectors at any rate. I'm sure in subsequent waves the main players in the larger sets will start to appera in £20/£25/£30 sets maybe even £10 ones(if that price level exists anymore). I don't remember enough about the films but I'm sure like all the licenced themes the main characters must wear alternate/ceremonial clothing at some point so there can be a few variants in the main characters