wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

what I mean is this is LOTR, so why complain about fleshy for 30 pages and why talk about it obviously killing kingdoms. Lets talk about LOTR. :sadnew:

Yeah I'm with you there, I've actually commented before about this fleshie issue which inexplicably keeps on bugging the LOTR discussion. :sceptic: I don't quite understand the complaints of the fleshie-haters, I mean they've been getting yellow-skinned figs in the Castle line for years and years and years now and they're still not content? It's not like LOTR will completely replace Castle FOREVER.

Are they gonna make some kind of ring piece that doesn't go on the 'finger', or are they gonna rip us off with a fake gold stud? :sceptic:

I think there's a reason why the teaser image shows a new ring piece (even if it's CGI), and I'd like to believe we're getting this instead of a 1x1 round plate or 1x1 round tile for the One Ring.

gallery_4757_126_27988.jpg

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet. Seems like the pics of the LOTR sets have been leaked (they look legit). Check out this post:

http://smashing-bricks.com/2011/12/19/lego-lord-of-the-rings-2012-sneak-peek/

Gollum placeholder looks like a white monkey, haha... yeah some of these look pretty darn good... there will have to be multiple waves of this!!! :sweet:

Rohan rider is on a dark tan horse, hopefully this is what we'll get!

Looks pretty legit alright, and about what folks had been guessing was in the sets. The orc army builder set looks pretty sweet, and helms deep seems better than expected, with 9 figs which will be nice if true.

edit: on 2nd look, the army builder set has what would seem to be a modular piece of wall included, guess they're hoping we will buy Helms Deep and a huge number of these to make a big long wall. Going to have to padlock my wallet and hide it from TLG!

Edited by Belchher

New horse piece? Helm's Deep looks like an awesome set right now!

I saw that too. Do you know if it is like the existing piece ( unable to move ) or is it movable :excited: like the new bear in city?

Edited by Legoman273

I doubt that very much at least on terms of longevity. Star wars has the 6 films + the 100 Clone Wars animated series + various games and an expanded universe. All of these have given Lego a myriad of characters, buildings and VEHICLES to base their sets on. LotR has only got the 5 films and in all honesty not that many characters and 0 vehicles in comparison to SW.

you never read the book, haven't you? ;)

Those look very bad for them to be real :sceptic:

Lots of great figures but, what is up with the actual sets? :sceptic:

They're just Prelim pics, not even the figs will be like that :wink:

They're just Prelim pics, not even the figs will be like that :wink:

No I love the figures, what I mean is that the set itself lacks effort.

The wagon in the Gandelf set looks like it's just filled with a bunch of random stuff.

And the spider set is really just a spider and some minifigures :sceptic:

All the sets seem to lack something. Hopefully I'll change my thoughts after I see the final products.

Lots of great figures but, what is up with the actual sets? :sceptic:

Yeah, both this wave and the 2012 Star Wars Summer wave (to a lesser extent) seem to be quite minifig-centric, with somewhat uninspiring builds, which I find a bit disappointing (and that's coming from a big minifig fan). Only 9473 The Mines of Moria really interests me, although I might change my mind when we get some better pictures/reviews.

I have a feeling that rearing horse in 9471 is just CGI version we already have; I don't think they would make another horse mold so similar to the pre-existing one.

I expect by tomorrow that this thread will be filled with disappointed/negative comments, as the majority of the posters in this thread seemed to had unrealistic expectations. Just keep in mind these are preliminaries, and that we are always free to MOC our own!

EDIT: I am finally a Citizen. It took long enough. :devil:

Edited by autobrick

Now I know that these pictures are preliminary and what have you, but they basically confirm my fears about this line, which were already roused by the set names themselves.

The problem I find is that LEGO is trying to make sets out of things that are just pieces of rock. LotR really is awesome, but most of the best set pieces are either rocky croppings/caves (Weathertop, Mines of Moria) or way too grand in scale to capture realistically in a LEGO set (the towers, Minas Tirith, heck, even Helms Deep really).

There are plenty of locations that I can envision as reasonable for LEGO sets, but they haven't been made. Instead of Weathertop, they could've made the Prancing Pony. It could've had all of the same figures, but instead of some rock and tiny bits of detail, we would've gotten some amount of a building, which would have been better in my opinion.

While the Mines of Moria is a location that should certainly be done, at the same time a cave doesn't really translate into a set that well. In the prelim it looks already like they've taken a good crack at it, but I wouldn't expect it to be amazingly awesome because it is, after all, basically just some rock.

Hopefully Helm's Deep will have some good interior; if it doesn't, it will basically just be a grey wall.

About the horse, I am pretty sure it is a new mould, seeing as it appears in two sets and in two colors.

I am wondering where the Uruk-hai Army set is supposed to take place. Is it a Helm's Deep addition, or is it from Return of the King and the battle that takes place near the harbors by Minas Tirith (Osgiliath I think? I'm not that up on LotR)?

I can't believe LEGO's managed to fit what seems to be the entire Fellowship in the first wave. :thumbup:

The smaller sets are 'okay'.

Gandalf Arrives looks to be a parts pack, all the way, although the cart could simply be fitted for something more medieval-era.

Weathertop....reminds me of Isla de la Muerta. All in the figures here, but worth it just for Aragorn. (From the tiny, seemingly final picture in the lower left corner, he looks awesome.)

Shelob is, honestly, a surprise. She looks highly poseable and the best brick-built spider of LEGO's yet. Other than that.... :sceptic:

Uruk-Hai army? LEGO nailed it on the head. 3 Uruks, a leader, and 2 Rohan guys, along with a chunk of wall and a siege weapon. Nothing can be improved on here, IMO.

Mines of Moria - purely win.

Helm's Deep? Holy crap. *oh2* They captured the important details spot-on, despite the scale, and I love that they added the weathering to keep it from looking plain.

The new molded horse looks nice. It doesn't look poseable, however, which is a shame.

the uruk hai army set looks great mainly for the rohanian rider and helms deep looks awesome!! the nazguls doesn't look too promising though

Now I know that these pictures are preliminary and what have you, but they basically confirm my fears about this line, which were already roused by the set names themselves.

The problem I find is that LEGO is trying to make sets out of things that are just pieces of rock. LotR really is awesome, but most of the best set pieces are either rocky croppings/caves (Weathertop, Mines of Moria) or way too grand in scale to capture realistically in a LEGO set (the towers, Minas Tirith, heck, even Helms Deep really).

There are plenty of locations that I can envision as reasonable for LEGO sets, but they haven't been made. Instead of Weathertop, they could've made the Prancing Pony. It could've had all of the same figures, but instead of some rock and tiny bits of detail, we would've gotten some amount of a building, which would have been better in my opinion.

While the Mines of Moria is a location that should certainly be done, at the same time a cave doesn't really translate into a set that well. In the prelim it looks already like they've taken a good crack at it, but I wouldn't expect it to be amazingly awesome because it is, after all, basically just some rock.

Hopefully Helm's Deep will have some good interior; if it doesn't, it will basically just be a grey wall.

About the horse, I am pretty sure it is a new mould, seeing as it appears in two sets and in two colors.

I am wondering where the Uruk-hai Army set is supposed to take place. Is it a Helm's Deep addition, or is it from Return of the King and the battle that takes place near the harbors by Minas Tirith (Osgiliath I think? I'm not that up on LotR)?

They killed all the uruk-hai at helms deep...

No Boromir?! :hmpf_bad:

Moria... dats him with red hair. I'd rather have 5 goblins and no cave troll or skellys.

I can't believe LEGO's managed to fit what seems to be the entire Fellowship in the first wave. :thumbup:

The smaller sets are 'okay'.

Gandalf Arrives looks to be a parts pack, all the way, although the cart could simply be fitted for something more medieval-era.

Weathertop....reminds me of Isla de la Muerta. All in the figures here, but worth it just for Aragorn. (From the tiny, seemingly final picture in the lower left corner, he looks awesome.)

Shelob is, honestly, a surprise. She looks highly poseable and the best brick-built spider of LEGO's yet. Other than that.... :sceptic:

Uruk-Hai army? LEGO nailed it on the head. 3 Uruks, a leader, and 2 Rohan guys, along with a chunk of wall and a siege weapon. Nothing can be improved on here, IMO.

Mines of Moria - purely win.

Helm's Deep? Holy crap. *oh2* They captured the important details spot-on, despite the scale, and I love that they added the weathering to keep it from looking plain.

The new molded horse looks nice. It doesn't look poseable, however, which is a shame.

Um nooo, the hornberg is on the wrong side.:hmpf_bad:

For the love of.... :hmpf: The point is is that it's there, and that the whole thing is recognizable. To me, anyway. They seem to have pulled off the curved walls fairly well.

For the love of.... :hmpf: The point is is that it's there, and that the whole thing is recognizable. To me, anyway. They seem to have pulled off the curved walls fairly well.

Thats not a little mistake everyone knows

it aint gonna be perfect but its on the wrong damn side.

AND, there is not one Orc in any set. Lame, come on Lego this is a Nerd's Heartstrings.

Thats not a little mistake everyone knows

it aint gonna be perfect but its on the wrong damn side.

AND, there is not one Orc in any set. Lame, come on Lego this is a Nerd's Heartstrings.

It looks modular anyway, you can probably just move it. Perhaps it's just there because it was too tall to put on the other side? It would've blocked out the logo.

Ok, surely the sets are not what we saw on the movies, or imagine on books, but we all knew that was hardly to happen, I think these preliminar versions are fine, they have the minifigures, new molds, and seems the selection of sets to have locations is well distributed.

Some things I have read on this thread are fantastic, just like the idea of the Prancing Pony. :thumbup:

I hope that TLG will increment the detail on the construction attractiveness of the sets without increment the costs or diminishing the quantity of minifigures, wich it seems to be great.

The two sets that definetly are a must have IMHO are Helms Deep and Uruk Hai Army.

Greetings. :classic:

It looks modular anyway, you can probably just move it. Perhaps it's just there because it was too tall to put on the other side? It would've blocked out the logo.

I agree, I think they just moved it so it didn't cover the logo in the middle. LEGO has changed things on box art for the sake of display before (I remember them switching the sails on Brickbeard's Bounty so that the skull and crossbones were visible).

I honestly can't think of much more I could have hoped for in a first wave! I was holding out for a Balrog in the Moria set, but I'm sure that'll come along somewhere down the road. Probably one of the best moves LEGO has made: making an Uruk-hai battlepack with a wall section that can be added to Helm's Deep as many times as we want! I can't wait to see how they handle Minas Tirith!

No its not, in the book at least the Hornburg is on the Right when you're looking at it from out front of the place. If you want it on the other side you can just moc it anyway.

And just because I've seen a few people comment on various Helms Deep mocs saying the hornbrug should be on the other side, and just to be a LOTR nerd, from the book :

"At Helm's Gate, before the mouth of the Deep, there was a heel of rock thrust outward by the northern cliff. There upon its spur stood high walls of ancient stone, and within them was a lofty tower....

...The Hornburg it was called......

... A wall, too, the men of old had made from the Hornburg to the southern cliff, barring the entrance to the gorge."

around about pg164 in book 2.

Anyway, I agree with others who have said these are just prelim pictures that shouldn't have been released. The number of plain white prototype figs showing up in the box art makes it pretty obvious there's still work to be done, so taking these as anything more than a rough guide to how they'll end up is getting a bit ahead of yourselves for now.