wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

the short answer... YES! The long answer. The reality is they have sold well in the SW theme so I dont see why they would notdo battle pack/army builder style sets. TLG also did one for the new alien invasion, POTC and adventure line.

I forgot about the PotC and Alien Conquest ones...that's not much though, probably just Frodo, another hero, a couple generci baddies, and a different baddy. :sceptic: Not that I would know though. But anyway, I don't want to be accused of making things up, so if anybody missed it:

Building Sets Based on Epic Film Trilogy and Forthcoming Theatrical Release Slated for 2012

Warner Bros. Consumer Products and The LEGO Group announced today a partnership that awards the world’s leading construction toy brand exclusive rights to develop build-and-play construction sets based on THE LORD OF THE RINGS™ trilogy and the two films based on THE HOBBIT™. The multi-year licensing agreement grants access to the library of characters, settings, and stories for THE LORD OF THE RINGS property, as well as films The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

LEGO® THE LORD OF THE RINGS construction sets are slated for a rolling global launch beginning in June 2012 in the United States, with LEGO THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY scheduled for later in the year.

“Only LEGO, with their expertise in the construction category, is capable of doing justice to the incredibly imaginative environments depicted in the world of THE LORD OF THE RINGS and the two films based on THE HOBBIT,” said Karen McTier, executive vice president, domestic licensing and worldwide marketing, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “These films give life to amazing worlds and characters and we are thrilled to bring fans these products that deliver an imaginative play experience befitting of these beloved properties.”

The LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS collection will translate into LEGO form the epic locations, scenes and characters of Middle-earth as depicted in all three films, including The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

In late 2012, LEGO THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY will give fans of all ages a chance to build and play out the fantastical story and new characters of the legendary Middle-earth adventures depicted in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, slated to premiere December 14, 2012.

“Our collaboration with Warner Bros. Consumer Products has delivered numerous worldwide successes in the construction toy aisle with lines like LEGO HARRY POTTER and LEGO BATMAN, introducing us to loyal audiences who love great stories, strong characters and the toys that they inspire,” said Jill Wilfert, vice president, licensing and entertainment for The LEGO Group. “It’s particularly exciting to now be able to create sets based on the fantasy worlds and characters from THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy and the two films based on THE HOBBIT, not only because we know they will foster collectability and creative play, but also because these are two properties that our fans have been asking us to create for years.”

Information about the sets and collectible minifigures from both collections will be unveiled at a later date at TheLordoftheRings.LEGO.com.

Edited by Superficial Username

I believe people have misinterpreted the collectible mini figures comment in the press release. I think what they are talking about are the minifigs that will be collectible along with the sets, rather than a separate line of collectible minifigs based off the films. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the license works the same as the SW one.

They are making a collectable minifigure series. Do they really need battlepacks too? :wink:

Seriously, that's pretty lucky that you are getting a collectable minifigure series, I'd be so happy if there was a Super Heroes one...hopefully it expands into other themes! :thumbup::sweet:

I think you're misunderstanding. Or rather, I have interpreted the press release a different way.

From the release:

Information about the sets and collectible minifigures from both collections will be unveiled at a later date at TheLordoftheRings.LEGO.com.

I think they are just pointing out that the minifigures (characters) have a collectibility aspect to them. I don't think they will be blind-bag things like the CMF series. By the way, "Collectible Minifigures" (CMF) is a term that isn't used by TLG. They don't use the term "collectible" for those, they just name them like "Minifigures series 6". I think the community tacked on the "collectible" part.

Man "Shelob Attacks" sounds really unapealing, the scene in the movie was a snooze and so far lego built spiders hasn't been all that.

For a replacement set I would suggest "warg attack" or "Arwens escape"

As the the "collectible minifigures" information to be releases on the site, expect a page like they did for HP and POTC where they display all the minifigures from the sets

Edited by deskp

I hope there are figure packs, not because I army-build but because I don't want to spend $100 on a mediocre set just to get sexy Bormir and Faramir figures. :wub:

For example, if there were figure packs for Star Wars with the popular figs in them I would buy them all (for the neat alien figures), but since that's not the case I don't buy any SW sets at all from retail stores and ignore the series for the most part.

I'm betting a ton of people would buy such packs because they don't want to pay the ridiculous prices for the popular figs, but I understand it won't happen, otherwise there would be much less incentive to buy the larger sets.

I'm willing to bet the Balrog will be molded, not brick built, which is sad.

I'm gonna assume this is going to be a short lived line, because LOTR is not kid based and once the Hobbit movies are done kids will not care about hobbits either.

Though I do hope that the figs and sets look good.

If it is true then my two faves Star Wars and LOTR will be in LEGO!!! Time to offer up that kidney for sale;)

I'm gonna assume this is going to be a short lived line, because LOTR is not kid based and once the Hobbit movies are done kids will not care about hobbits either.

Well, there are going to be two new movies released a year apart, and the theme launches a few months before the first movie's release, so I think it's safe to say there'll be sets for well over a year, perhaps a couple years or more. At a bare minimum, there should be at least three waves - the launch wave with sets from the extant film trilogy, the wave accompanying the release of the first Hobbit movie, and the wave accompanying the second. I think it's reasonably likely there'll be an additional wave between the latter two, and possibly one or more after the second new movie wave. But we'll see...

Man "Shelob Attacks" sounds really unapealing, the scene in the movie was a snooze and so far lego built spiders hasn't been all that.

You got to be joking with those replacement suggestions? :grin: Though I admittedly share part of your concern on Lego's ability to portray Shelob. But positively thinking Harry Potter's Aragog wasn't the main feature in Hagrid's Hut set, and as such didn't propably receive that much attention in design phase, and... well, not much to say for this one's defense. Anyway, if they are trying to sell a set with Shelob and not much else, Shelob just has to look quite good or the set won't sell, as simple as that. Then again, it will probably also be the cheapest set with Frodo and Sam...

I hope its molded and brick built like the Crystal King:

8962-1.jpg?2

OK, time to throw in some predictions:

"Gandalf Arrives" is the tiny set, featuring Gandalf, Frodo, and a horse and cart, no scenery. Because all of y'all wanted vehicles, here is your vehicle. Certainly Gandalf arrives several times in the movies, but to me this name suggests the very first scene. This is the set to attract casual buyers who just want a couple of iconic characters from the series.

"Mines of Moria" shouldn't include a Balrog, because the Balrog would be really, really hard to do properly, but it probably will. The set combines the fight in Balin's Tomb with the collapsing staircase scene for the play features. TLG love things that collapse, and that staircase is just begging to be done.

"Attack on Weathertop" includes some kind of play feature showing the effect of Frodo putting on the Ring, perhaps two different versions of the Nazgul switching places via a revolving door. Similar to the Isla de Muerta set in that way, but it's the only obvious play feature in the Weathertop scene.

"Uruk-Hai Army" is either a battlepack or - more likely in my opinion - the climax of Fellowship, most likely focusing on the bit where the Uruk-Hai are attacking Boromir.

"Battle of Helm's Deep" includes part of the outer wall including the exploding culvert, siege ladders, an inner staircase for Legolas to surf down, and the ramp and side tower where Aragorn and Gimli engage in some stealthy Dwarf tossing. Definitely the biggest set in the first wave, but not something that is meant to be a realistic portrayal of the whole fortress.

"Orc Forge" is an impulse featuring, you guessed it, an Orc and a forge for the army builders. There's a possibility that it's a bigger set featuring the creation of the Uruk-Hai, but I doubt it because for one thing, there's no conflict in that scene, and for another, there is already an Uruk set.

I gotta say, they all sound like must-haves except for Shelob Attacks. I really disliked the movie version of that scene. Too bad it sounds like the only set that will include Gollum in this wave, but I can live without him until he appears in the Hobbit sets.

Interesting that this wave is very focused on Fellowship of the Ring. My guess is that TLG are planning on a three-year theme and will mainly focus on one movie each year, alternating with Hobbit-focused waves.

I believe people have misinterpreted the collectible mini figures comment in the press release. I think what they are talking about are the minifigs that will be collectible along with the sets, rather than a separate line of collectible minifigs based off the films. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the license works the same as the SW one.

I agree. In recent cataolgues, there have been separate photographs among each set theme showing only all the minifigures from that theme with the imperative statement, "Collect them all!"

As I wrote in the Kingdoms 2012 thread: „... I am excited about LotR/Hobbit. I see it as an opportunity to breathe some innovation into LEGO, with parts and pieces and minifigs that otherwise wouldn't have been made. And maybe some new ideas for structures and techniques. Though I will say I take yellofigs over fleshies anyday. Boo on TLG for putting those irritating fleshie triangles on the torsos.”

I would have preferred an original Castle theme, because of the fleshies and the price, but in the end, a LotR theme just needed to be done.

I am apprehensive about the Moria set. There are two memorable scenes set there – the fight in the Chamber of Mazarbul and Gandalf and the Balrog. I think these could be two great seperate sets, and Im worried we will get an average single set instead.

And what does „multi-year license“ actually entail? Does it mean TLG has all the sets for a certain number of future waves already planned out and OK-ed by by the Tolkien people?

EDIT: So far, over 200 posts on 14 pages in this thread in the 18 hours since the the license was confirmed...

Edited by Ardelon

You called upon me...

By the way, I'm buying 400 nazguls!

400? There are only 9!

Just imagine how good the Haradrim and Easterlings will look. I'll definitely get 400 of them, well almost 400 :classic:

As happy as I am about this is really happening, I'm really annoyed that they don't mention JRR Tolkien at all in the press release. It's all about the movies. :sceptic:

Shelob's attack was a big focal point of the film and books. Arwens escape would require a lot of minifigs that they don't normally do and doesn't even exist in the books. Should've been Glorfindel.

Warg attacks would also require a lot of new moulds and minifigs.

After getting over the euphoria (almost) I am now really annoyed that I just spent about $90-100 to make a custom uruk-hai army.default_wall.gif

Well,I'm no LOTR fan, but I'm looking forward to the shelob set. I only made one LOTR prediction, and here it is:

Figures:Sam, Frodo(With new sleeping face) and golum.(With brown robber's backpack.)

Could include shelob, a cave, some rocks.(Seriously, all my creative energy went into the figures. :tongue: )

I was hoping frodo could use the anakin hairpiece, but ah well. :tongue:

Well,I'm no LOTR fan, but I'm looking forward to the shelob set. I only made one LOTR prediction, and here it is:

Figures:Sam, Frodo(With new sleeping face) and golum.(With brown robber's backpack.)

Could include shelob, a cave, some rocks.(Seriously, all my creative energy went into the figures. :tongue: )

I was hoping frodo could use the anakin hairpiece, but ah well. :tongue:

Oh boy, could there maybe be a little bit of water, and some moss, and dare I dream, a bush too!? :tongue:

Edited by DrNightmare

This thread is confusing since anyone who comes here has to wade through the discussion on the rumored LOTR theme first before getting to the discussion on the confirmed theme. :thumbdown:

Edited by Nicker