wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

I think whether LOTR will be here or in History will depend on if it replaces the Castle theme entirely or if there would be another historical theme running at the same time.

And yeah history forum would be logical, but then the forum name would need a change since I don't recall reading about the One Ring in my textbook.

Those darn historical revisionists! How can they leave something out of a textbook so essential to our history as a people as the War of the Ring?! Why if it wasn't for Frodo, we'd all be speaking Orcish right now. :tongue:

Castle itself has never been all that historically accurate so I don't see a problem with LOTR ending up in a forum with it. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We don't even know this is coming, yet.

Well it appears Vivid (Germany)will be joining Bridge Direct in the Hobbit Toy line and they will have a minifigure line, with no news of LEGO obtaining any of the licensing rights to either the Hobbit or the LOTR it is highly doubtful that LEGO will be producing either line any time soon.

Although that isn't to say LEGO will not have its own fantasy line with Elves, Dwarves and such.

Yes they will have a line of mini figures but is that minifigures as in lego figures or minifigures as in miniature figures. I'd say it's the latter rather than the former cause if they'd obtained a cunstructable toy license why settle with just the minifigs?

I agree with 'Mirandir', Lego is a construction theme toy just like for Star Wars....Haspro does figures, Lego does construction sets with minifigs....same deal for LORT (if it's still true :wink: ).

And yeah history forum would be logical, but then the forum name would need a change since I don't recall reading about the One Ring in my textbook.Either way. :P

...Castle itself has never been all that historically accurate so I don't see a problem with LOTR ending up in a forum with it. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We don't even know this is coming, yet.

Ha. I've always wondered about that "historic" title. I get the surface logic though (castles...old stuff...historic...heh), but LOTR aside, there are also dragons, witches, skeleton knights, and orcs in Castle. As Cornelius says, historical accuracy's never been strict. Being a history geek, it's always going to be awkward when a toy line is linked even remotely as presenting something historical. But yeah...nitpicking I guess...I guess...wah.

But yes, we still don't know if this LOTR is happening, despite my hopes it does. I'm rooting for it.

I agree with 'Mirandir', Lego is a construction theme toy just like for Star Wars....Haspro does figures, Lego does construction sets with minifigs....same deal for LORT (if it's still true :wink: ).

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Besides, I remember not too long ago on FBTB folks were debating whether or not the appearance of Jack Sparrow at Comicon was an indication of a POTC license. There were those that were quick to say "YES!!!" There were also those who were quick to respond, "Wait. Calm down. It's not official. Just wait." There were even those who said, "No, it's not gonna happen because Mega Bloks had the POTC license. Duh." We know how that ended up. I also vaguely remember folks wishing for Marvel / DC licenses, and a similiar conversation happened. There were the immediately excited folks, the "chill" folks, and the naysayers... There was a simliar argument that since Mega Bloks had Iron Man, it wasn't going to happen. We also know how that ended up.

At this point, anything's possible. The folks at LEGO and the folks at MGM/New Line (and Lucas/Hasbro, Marvel/Disney, DC/WB. etc.) operate on a $$$ level that I won't even begin to understand or have a true "insider" access to despite having friends and family who work as low-level professionals at all except for MGM or New Line. Unless someone here is on the in with a Licensing Professional at these places or a high-level LEGO person, then we're all mostly just speculating based on some Internet sleuthing, he said/she said, rumors, etc....some of us are more willing to admit that than others. But the rules of these kinds of $$$$$$$$ licensing deals are somewhat simple / generalizable: despite whatever contracts are there, if you make the right business deal, anything's negotiable, whether it's a preexisting licensing conflict, etc. So yeah, the debate is good...and fun. Now I'm a fairly rational person and totally see how signs point more towards it NOT happening. BUT the geek in me clings tightly to the fewer indications that it might be happening—it's more than possible based on existing molds, etc., it's highly desired and could be profitable, the arguably misread/misunderstood blog post that started this whole thing, the timing with the new movie, LEGO's track record with licensing, etc etc etc—and holds on to the shred of hope. (I mean, isn't that what LOTR was all about...clinging onto that hope? Yeah, I'm a geek.) Anyway, based on what I said in the last paragraph, there's no point in trying to pooh pooh folks' infatuation with this rumor and its possibility. Folks tried to reason away people's excited wishful thinking with POTC and Superheroes, and lo and behold those license deals came true.

So in the meantime we wait and keep hyping the thing up...because that's what we do. We are people who play with toys. Heh.

We are people who play with toys. Heh.

Um, speak for yourself. I BUILD LEGO and then test out the features to make sure they work as intended and "fly" them around the room to make sure they are safe for children. At no point am I playing. :laugh:

Um, speak for yourself. I BUILD LEGO and then test out the features to make sure they work as intended and "fly" them around the room to make sure they are safe for children. At no point am I playing. :laugh:

...ahem... Oh yeah. That's what I meant. Me too...yes...by the book, strict engineering and feasability testing. :thumbup:

LOTR would not co-exist with castle. Think more along the lines of the POTC theme and Classic Pirates. One will replace the other for a time. Then castle would return again. That's pretty much how it will run. But Lego just wouldn't do LOTR.

...But Lego just wouldn't do LOTR.

What do you think? LEGO would produce The Hobbit but not LotR?

A LEGO Tolkien License without LotR is like Star Wars without the OT. :cry_sad::sick::sing:

...that is a absurd thought!

What do you think? LEGO would produce The Hobbit but not LotR?

A LEGO Tolkien License without LotR is like Star Wars without the OT. :cry_sad::sick::sing:

...that is a absurd thought!

I think what he meant by that last statement is that if Lego did LOTR they would have to do Hobbit as well. You're actually agreeing.

I think its pretty obvious, 4 sets based on Hobbit , 4 based on LOTR. You wouldn't release a theme and not cash in on the new movies. I do enjoy reading this thread and seeing everyones ideas and arguments. Members seem very sure in their arguments as to weather it's happening on or not. An enjoyable read. One side is very wrong, which will it be I wonder. In the mean time, if you like LOTR, you should get yourselves over to the History forum and join a Guild, we have plenty of Orcs, Elves and Dwarves over there!

I think its pretty obvious, 4 sets based on Hobbit , 4 based on LOTR. You wouldn't release a theme and not cash in on the new movies. I do enjoy reading this thread and seeing everyones ideas and arguments. Members seem very sure in their arguments as to weather it's happening on or not. An enjoyable read. One side is very wrong, which will it be I wonder. In the mean time, if you like LOTR, you should get yourselves over to the History forum and join a Guild, we have plenty of Orcs, Elves and Dwarves over there!

And remember, join Avalonia!

I'm assuming either

The Indiana Jones Track

First wave - original films

Second wave - The Hobbit

Third? wave - Mix

or

The Pirates Track

First Wave - half original, half Hobbit

Second Wave - likely the same, though perhaps with less Hobbit

I sorta made up the second wave of Pirates track, but....

I'm assuming either

The Indiana Jones Track

First wave - original films

Second wave - The Hobbit

Third? wave - Mix

That's pretty much the track taken by not only Indiana Jones, but also Toy Story, Cars (first wave was DUPLO) and indeed Star Wars, IIRC.

LOTR would not co-exist with castle. Think more along the lines of the POTC theme and Classic Pirates. One will replace the other for a time. Then castle would return again. That's pretty much how it will run. But Lego just wouldn't do LOTR.

I agree and also TLG has a non compete clause in there licensing agreements to not release sets that might take away from the licensed product line. hence why they havnt had a sci-fi style set like blacktron except a short run of space police (I am not sure how they were able to release this line while under the agreement) since Star Wars.

I agree and also TLG has a non compete clause in there licensing agreements to not release sets that might take away from the licensed product line. hence why they havnt had a sci-fi style set like blacktron except a short run of space police (I am not sure how they were able to release this line while under the agreement) since Star Wars.

I don't know what you're talking about. I don't think there's any such clause in the agreements. However, it wouldn't be practical for LEGO to release a theme that is too similar to a currently-running licensed theme, seeing as having its own products compete with each-other would drive down sales of both lines. For instance, if LEGO had its own Pirates line running at the same time as Pirates of the Caribbean, some people who would normally buy the Pirates sets would instead invest in the PotC sets.

I don't know what you're talking about. I don't think there's any such clause in the agreements. However, it wouldn't be practical for LEGO to release a theme that is too similar to a currently-running licensed theme, seeing as having its own products compete with each-other would drive down sales of both lines. For instance, if LEGO had its own Pirates line running at the same time as Pirates of the Caribbean, some people who would normally buy the Pirates sets would instead invest in the PotC sets.

That may be true for the familiarity of the movie characters, but there would also be plenty of people not buying the PotC sets due to slightly higher costs because they simply want pirates sets. And then of course, there is another group that would buy both to add on some more play value. Sure "fleshies" and standard yellow wouldn't co-exist as easily, but I've seen people make it work.

I do agree that too much competition within the same group may cause sales to drop a bit, but just having too many sets available at any given time may cause sales to drop due to variety. The shelves at Wal-Mart here are bare here, which may lead some people do buy other stuff they normally wouldn't since it is what is available. I can see both sides of the "argument," so that is probably why I am not doing their marketing.

As far as LOTR goes, I wouldn't expect castle and LOTR running concurrently anyway, even if you forget the above notes about sales dropping.

The reason for this is that LTG is keeping this very tightly secured. I am pretty sure that at least some of people on this forum had seen official information about this, but do not dare to talk about it in fear of official TLG countermeasures.

So, yeah, I guess that we will have to waint until Nurnberg (and even there I expect enhanced security and maybe no pics)

Why ever these secrets? What is the good of this? LEGO to lock oneself out of this conversation and that is too stupid.

It would be a effectively way if we (the LotR fans) and TLG work together for a better LEGO Middle-earth.

How might looks the standard practice? ->Example: LEGO want to create Rivendell. Ok, at first we get the information that LEGO want to develop that place. Now builds everyone for 4x weeks here a Rivendell MOC (TLG too). As next we to compare our results. In every MOC are different important details (ideas).

-> I swear. If LEGO says to us that they want to create this set and want to build it with us together, will the incitement be massive and we will see a lot of very good MOCs.

During the comparisons (for example also 4x weeks) is to decide which ideas are very good and go in combination with other ideas (form other MOCs) into the LEGO Rivendell set. This decide will be very hard because we have as next to regard the....

...the economic factor. After we have to figure out which details Rivendell needs is to decide which size (and how complicated to build) this LEGO set have to be. Where can TLG to save bricks and where are some bricks new to mold...

In this time comes into being a very effective conversation and TLG get all prime wishes, ideas, informations and wins additional thereby the best feedback of all time. :sweet:

Damn, that would make sooooo fun!!

It would be a effectively way if we (the LotR fans) and TLG work together for a better LEGO Middle-earth.

How might looks the standard practice? ->Example: LEGO want to create Rivendell. Ok, at first we get the information that LEGO want to develop that place. Now builds everyone for 4x weeks here a Rivendell MOC (TLG too). As next we to compare our results. In every MOC are different important details (ideas).

-> I swear. If LEGO says to us that they want to create this set and want to build it with us together, will the incitement be massive and we will see a lot of very good MOCs.

During the comparisons (for example also 4x weeks) is to decide which ideas are very good and go in combination with other ideas (form other MOCs) into the LEGO Rivendell set. This decide will be very hard because we have as next to regard the....

...the economic factor. After we have to figure out which details Rivendell needs is to decide which size (and how complicated to build) this LEGO set have to be. Where can TLG to save bricks and where are some bricks new to mold...

In this time comes into being a very effective conversation and TLG get all prime wishes, ideas, informations and wins additional thereby the best feedback of all time. :sweet:

Sounds like the perfect way for rivals to easily steal designs. Plus, part of the profit would have to go to at least the winner, otherwise they could sue. Something I am sure LEGO doesn't want to have to pay for-two royalties, especially if they can easily avoid an uneccessary one.

Why ever these secrets? What is the good of this? LEGO to lock oneself out of this conversation and that is too stupid.

The idea is partly that people who aren't as informed as us (though it wouldn't hurt them if we did the same thing as the public) don't save their money for half of a year or more and take away from profits, which they might get back, but memebers of the target age range I know, don't seem very good at saving their money.

You have some good imagination and fun ideas though, I like that. :classic:

Edited by Superficial Username

Secrets have to be kept. Yes, there are a few members here who know secrets, but thats how they stay, as secrets. Anyway, would you really rather see horrible dark ileagle grainy pics, rather than bright clear high res official images from Lego themselves. I know which I prefer. Remember those confidential POTC images that were posted? Not only were they NOT allowed to be posted here, but they were extremely grainy and very difficult to actually make out any details. Do you really want the first images you see of a dream theme of yours to look like that? No. That is why its always best to wait for official announcments from Lego, as you will see the sets how they are ment to be seen! Plus like others have said, there are a lot of rip-off companys who will quite happily steal ideas from Lego and get their inferior versions out first, so new Lego themes need to be kept secret to keep one step ahead of the competition(which they always will anyway). Just be patient and wait for news from upcoming toy fairs.

Secrets have to be kept. There are quite a few members here who know a lot of secrets, but thats how they stay, as secrets. Anyway, would you really rather see horrible dark ileagle grainy pics, rather than bright clear high res official images from Lego themselves.

:blush:

At least grainy pictures would end the issue as to whether or not this theme is happening, which is really the only thing that matters of this theme right now, and would really make an example of what rumours and discussion is supposed to be about.

And I don't think keeping things secret to stop other companies from copying isn't an issue at all. If it's so grainy, what's there to steal? They won't even be allowed to use Lord of the Rings without a license anyway. And if it's an illegal inferior compnay, then I don't think waiting longer for them to steal designs later solves anything.

Just my own thoughts. I don't care for relying on grainy pictures anyway, but it's just those pictures that prove the theme in the first place. I just try to get a general idea of what they're making, not trying to make out every last detail of it. Inside, though, I'm just really happy the theme is going to be created.

And I don't think keeping things secret to stop other companies from copying isn't an issue at all. If it's so grainy, what's there to steal? They won't even be allowed to use Lord of the Rings without a license anyway. And if it's an illegal inferior compnay, then I don't think waiting longer for them to steal designs later solves anything.

They can somewhat do it legally, just not under the LotR name and without any of those characters. Just release the sets under some fantasy theme with some minor changes.

Edited by Superficial Username

They can somewhat do it legally, just not under the LotR name and without any characters. Just release the sets under some fantasy theme with some minor changes.

That's what they do already with other themes. Preventing this probably isn't one of the main reasons behind keeping wraps on these sets, if they exist, is all I'm really saying. But in hindsight, that's not very helpful. :blush:

That's what they do already with other themes. Preventing this probably isn't one of the main reasons behind keeping wraps on these sets, if they exist, is all I'm really saying. But in hindsight, that's not very helpful. :blush:

I actually would welcome 10 times more a CUSTOM FANTASY theme than an official LoTR licence.

PRO-1: Cheaper sets.

PRO-2: Non flesh minifigures.

PRO-3: Less fussy AFOLs arguing on if the correct color for a single piece had to been medium or sand blue.

PRO-4: Cheaper sets.

PRO-5: Less fussy AFOLs arguing on the fact that the Minas Tirith Tower is only 45 cm tall

PRO-6: Cheaper sets.

PRO-7: No need to stick on something.

PRO-8: Maybe I forgot to add this: Cheaper sets.

CON-1: That wouldn't be LoTR (but actually so many LoTR MOCs have been built SO GOODLOOKING that I would add: "who cares?" The stakes of TLC molding new pieces are equal both if they do LoTR than if they do a custom fantasy set).

I would welcome a new D&D-bases (not licensed, based) theme with monsters and antropomorphic minifigs (like hydras, nagas, medusae, and the like) more than a LoTR.

My 2p

I actually would welcome 10 times more a CUSTOM FANTASY theme than an official LoTR licence.

PRO-3: Less fussy AFOLs arguing on if the correct color for a single piece had to been medium or sand blue.

PRO-5: Less fussy AFOLs arguing on the fact that the Minas Tirith Tower is only 45 cm tall

CON-1: That wouldn't be LoTR (but actually so many LoTR MOCs have been built SO GOODLOOKING that I would add: "who cares?" The stakes of TLC molding new pieces are equal both if they do LoTR than if they do a custom fantasy set).

I would welcome a new D&D-bases (not licensed, based) theme with monsters and antropomorphic minifigs (like hydras, nagas, medusae, and the like) more than a LoTR.

My 2p

Agreed completely, though you could of said cheaper sets a couple more times.

My 2p

I like the part of cheaper sets. :laugh: